Nigeria’s price for Executive football - Vanguard

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Egunje
Egg
Egg
Nigeria’s price for Executive football - Vanguard

Post by Egunje »

Nigeria’s price for Executive football

By Onochie Anibeze
Friday, January 30, 2004

What do I say now that I didn’t say in my column last Friday. While the game with Morocco was on, I received calls from some friends who were recalling the points I made and saying loudly how they were all playing out. Three of the callers insisted that I run the column again and I serve it again below. But before then, let me reflect on Wednesday’s nightmare at Monastir, Tunisia.

First, I was disappointed that Kanu started the match. I thought that Chukwu was following the trend and attributes of his players. How wrong I was. I thought that Yakubu Aiyegbeni would also not be in the team featuring Kanu and Okocha. How wrong Chukwu thought I was. When I saw the line-up I thought about Nigerians who always ask for prayers during matches.

I have always told them that God is for everybody in sports and that your hard work will make the difference. Some times you could be lucky but you have to even work for that luck to shine. After the selection blunder, Chukwu and the guys on the bench were slow in reacting to the nightmare the players were causing on the field. Kanu proved me right by not playing well but they still left him for too long. Seyi Olofinjana was out of the world in the defensive midfield.

I wonder who told him that he couldn’t initiate attack or try to express himself. Any time he had the ball, he was looking for Okocha even when Okocha was behind him. I want to ask if he knew he had a name. His passes were wrong and he was too slow on the ball. Generally, Eagles were too slow on the ball. Isaac Okoronkwo told us why he cannot fit into the Premiership. He was too slow.

His reaction to the ball was unbelievably slow. The game started and for many minutes I was looking for Kanu. He was consumed. It was unbelievable that Chukwu played him that deep. But it was more than that. See the comment on him below. We didn’t have workers in our team and that’s simply why we lost. After the first half, I expected Ikedia to come in for Kanu but to play on the right and for Utaka to move to the central attacking position with Julius Aghahowa.

I expected Garba Lawal to come in for Olofinjana. The game would have changed for better. The third change would have been Ifeanyi Ekwueme coming for Aiyegbeni but Ekwueme would play as the left midfielder. It appeared that Chukwu played names and we paid for this. Our selection reduced our strength, simple. But more to that was our style. We did not play the current thing in football. We gave opponents too much space. We were not running, were not marking and were not tight enough to close in while defending and open up the game while attacking.

We simply knew nothing about pressure football. Pressure football is the game they play now. Wonder why you have own goals these days? Attackers mark defenders. Everybody marks now. You put pressure on opponents especially when strikers mark defenders and midfielders and defenders close in. I will be arriving Tunisia this afternoon and I hope to see changes in selection and in tactics. If we don’t fight, we’ll not win a match.

There’s no room for EXECUTIVE FOOTBALL. Eagles played Executive football and lost. They should have learnt from that now. They need workers like Garba Lawal, Orjinta and Ikedia. They can still qualify. They have the players to beat South Africa and Benin Republic. Chukwu should find the game to do so.

PS: I know a lot of you guys have reservations on Onochie Anibeze's articles, but I like the last paragraph.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

went for big names and got punished, i am sure we have young players on the bench like orjinta,ikedia,osaze,joe,ekueme-dont you think its about time they took over and relieve our grand pa from their agony???
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

I dont think this guy is taking the same match i watched.

He said " I have always told them that God is for everybody in sports and that your hard work will make the difference. Some times you could be lucky but you have to even work for that luck to shine. After the selection blunder, Chukwu and the guys on the bench were slow in reacting to the nightmare the players were causing on the field. Kanu proved me right by not playing well but they still left him for too long. Seyi Olofinjana was out of the world in the defensive midfield.

I wonder who told him that he couldn’t initiate attack or try to express himself. Any time he had the ball, he was looking for Okocha even when Okocha was behind him. I want to ask if he knew he had a name. His passes were wrong and he was too slow on the ball.
Generally, Eagles were too slow on the ball. " What a load of rubbish. :evil: Seyi save SE period. He even went on to say Seyi should not start the next match. To me that is a big recipe for defeat.
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Make him leave seyi alone the bobo play him heart out.
who no know go know.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Seyi Olofinjana .......

I wonder who told him that he couldn’t initiate attack or try to express himself
This part was true..the man too respect Oga
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

nanijoe wrote:
Seyi Olofinjana .......

I wonder who told him that he couldn’t initiate attack or try to express himself
This part was true..the man too respect Oga
It is not true becos he was played as a DM. If he ventures forward, who will cover him? If you expect JJ to cover then you know that means conceding more goals.
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Oh i can't believe this but for the first time i agree with Onochie Anibeze oh my... Onochie if you read this well said and only if you had been honest long time ago that CCC doesn't have a clue things would have been clear but since you yourself was shocked wow nice one...
Soldier of Fortune...
bobbye
Egg
Egg

Post by bobbye »

Mr Egunje you have the best analytical mind, this forum has a ever witnessed. I'm profundly impressed with your two articles I have read in this forum. How I had wish you have access to Chukwu and give him some advice.If he listens to I'm confident Nigeria will win this tournament outright.
You are the best I have seen so far;unlike some self proclaimed soccer gurus in this forum.Please I wish you post more analysis in this forum
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

This is what we have been trying to tell all our formation guru's on this forum. We lost because we were playing "executive" football.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."