NIGERIA RING CHANGES AGAINST SOUTH AFRICA

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet
NIGERIA RING CHANGES AGAINST SOUTH AFRICA

Post by Vincent. »

Nigeria ring changes against South Africa

January 30, 2004

MONASTIR, Tunisia (AFP) - Nigeria will make at least two changes against South Africa on Saturday to the team that lost 1-0 to Morocco in the opening Group D fixture at the African Nations Cup here in Tunisia.

The versatile Garba Lawal, who was surprisingly dropped for the Morocco clash, will fill in at left full-back in place of expelled Chelsea defender Celestine Babayaro, who is also nursing a hamstring injury.

In midfield the choice will be between Poland-based Ifeanyi Ekwueme and Osaze Odemwingie, who features for Belgian La Louviere.

Otherwise it will be an unchanged team that will attempt to go past Bafana Bafana to stay in contention of a place in the quarter-final of the tournament with England-based stars Nwankwo Kanu and Isaac Okoronkwo given another chance to impress after tentative displays versus Morocco.

Nigeria will make at least two changes against South Africa on Saturday to the team that lost 1-0 to Morocco in the opening Group D fixture at the African Nations Cup here in Tunisia.
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

You are not saying Kanu's in the team?
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

PaJimoh wrote:You are not saying Kanu's in the team?
According to AFP, yes.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

hows is this any different from any other news on the board
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

I really dont care who is in the team, all I care about at this point is that they at least do Nigeria proud. Is that too much to ask?
To stop trying is to start dying
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Mali dropped Keita. And its taken till the second half for BurkinaFaso to make any kind of recovery. Methinks,JJ or Kanu should be benched,that is sure to throw the SA's off balance,they'd be guaranteed to throw away whatever gameplan they had coming into the game.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

I no talk am? CCC's reason for the loss is not because of the flaw tactics, but because the players did not "Play Harder". Guys, be ready for the rudest shock of your life when we not only conceed our 1st goal against SA, but get thrashed in the process. CCC just doesn't get it.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

i dey shake small
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Dodo wrote:i dey shake small
me sef.
To stop trying is to start dying
old_obsession
Egg
Egg

Post by old_obsession »

I hope its a lie osaze is gonna start. ratherr than Ekwueme

..................enyeama

.abbey.......yobo....okoronkwo....lawal

Utaka...........olofinjana...Kanu.....Okocha

........................Osaze......Agahowa

there would be no difference b/w this and the team that fell to maroc defense wise
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

the only thing i want to know is whether Udeze can play toimmorows game...
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie
heavyd
Egg
Egg
Re: NIGERIA RING CHANGES AGAINST SOUTH AFRICA

Post by heavyd »

Vincent. wrote:Nigeria ring changes against South Africa

January 30, 2004

MONASTIR, Tunisia (AFP) - Nigeria will make at least two changes against South Africa on Saturday to the team that lost 1-0 to Morocco in the opening Group D fixture at the African Nations Cup here in Tunisia.

The versatile Garba Lawal, who was surprisingly dropped for the Morocco clash, will fill in at left full-back in place of expelled Chelsea defender Celestine Babayaro, who is also nursing a hamstring injury.

In midfield the choice will be between Poland-based Ifeanyi Ekwueme and Osaze Odemwingie, who features for Belgian La Louviere.

Otherwise it will be an unchanged team that will attempt to go past Bafana Bafana to stay in contention of a place in the quarter-final of the tournament with England-based stars Nwankwo Kanu and Isaac Okoronkwo given another chance to impress after tentative displays versus Morocco.

Nigeria will make at least two changes against South Africa on Saturday to the team that lost 1-0 to Morocco in the opening Group D fixture at the African Nations Cup here in Tunisia.

Tentative displays? :?: More like terrible, shambolic displays :oops:
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

old_obsession wrote:I hope its a lie osaze is gonna start. ratherr than Ekwueme

..................enyeama

.abbey.......yobo....okoronkwo....lawal

Utaka...........olofinjana...Kanu.....Okocha

........................Osaze......Agahowa

there would be no difference b/w this and the team that fell to maroc defense wise
CCC better not try this again...if he put kanu for midfield :evil: :evil: :evil:
marloski
Egg
Egg

Post by marloski »

OK it has now been confirmed.I officially see a disaster now.The man is starting with Kanu again.Don't these people ever learn.You bring in Kanu when all the dirty work has been done.Damn!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:
Cross
Egg
Egg

Post by Cross »

marloski wrote:OK it has now been confirmed.I officially see a disaster now.The man is starting with Kanu again.Don't these people ever learn.You bring in Kanu when all the dirty work has been done.Damn!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:
What's your problem with kanu?? Take it easy man!
Kanu is the only forward who can creat scoring chances, hold the ball and instil fear in our opponents. I will give him 60 to 70 min of football. With Ekweme helping Olofijana in the midfield, we should be fine.
A team like ours that depend on individual skills and ability will really need a player like Kanu.
KoC
Egg
Egg

Post by KoC »

Ekwueme will be the one to start.
. . . all about the players. Total posts: 725 and counting. . .

Blogzilla
KickOff Nigeria

I love Arsenal. Such entertainment!! The kind of soccer we want for the kind of results we hate!!!
---Polly waxes lyrical after Burnley nyansh the ARSE
sunshinestar
Egg
Egg

Post by sunshinestar »

Dodo wrote:i dey shake small
me I dey shake no be small!
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Its a Goal wrote:I no talk am? CCC's reason for the loss is not because of the flaw tactics, but because the players did not "Play Harder".
Sometimes folks come on this forum and speak of "tactics" as if some form of esoteric tool. The fact is that if the coach's tactics is premised on (or includes) the players playing hard (eg, harrassing the opposition, not letting them settle on the ball, etc), then the coach is infinitely right to moan about the players not playng harder. Playing Harder and Tactics are NOT mutually exclusive!
Last edited by Gotti on Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunshinestar
Egg
Egg

Post by sunshinestar »

KickOff Chief wrote:Ekwueme will be the one to start.
I don dey wait for you KOC,what does our line-up look like?
THE FAN

Post by THE FAN »

This is not directly about Nigeria, but Chukwu talks a little about the South Africa match ......

Sports
Saturday, January 31, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TUNISIA 2004
Chukwu believes Stars have what it takes to excel
By ELIAS MAKORI
in Bizerte

Christian Chwuku

Super Eagles coach Christian Chukwu may have been shown the door by the Kenya Football Federation but he still follows the Kenyan game with great interest.

He believes that despite their 1-3 loss to Mali in the opening Group ‘B’ match last Monday, Kenya has shown great promise.

Chukwu is at the helm of the most talented squad here that boasts of players such as Bolton Wanderers midfielder Austin "Jay Jay" Okocha, Arsenal’s Nwankwo Kanu, Chelsea’s Celestine Babayaro and Julius Aghahowa of Ukraine’s Shakhtar Donetsk.

The former Harambee Stars coach is under great pressure along with his deputy, former Nigeria international Austin Eguavoen, after the Super Eagles’ 0-1 loss to Morocco in their first group game but he is taking it in his stride.

"It is difficult when you are in charge of superstars but I am now used to it," Chukwu, told the Daily Nation.

Chukwu coached many of the players the Kenyan squad today before he was replaced by German Reinhardt Fabisch four years ago.

He watched the Stars game against Mali on Monday and noted a great improvement in the team.

"The team played well but made a few silly mistakes in defence which cost them the game," said Chukwu.

"Tell coach (Jacob) Mulee and the boys that they should know there are no longer any big teams in this tournament. Who thought we could be beaten by Morocco?"

Chukwu says his boys have learnt from their mistakes and that Nigeria will bounce back in their next match against a resurgent South Africa today.

"We are changing our tactics and we must beat South Africa. The boys will play a different game," Chukwu added.

The Super Eagles boss is under a lot of pressure especially after the Nigerian government decided to settle for him instead of England and former Manchester United great Bryan Robson who was on the verge of signing a contract with the Nigeria Football Association last year.

Joining Chukwu in support for Kenya’s Harambee Stars were a few fans who e-mailed encouraging messages to the Daily Nation desk in Bizerte. The messages were passed on to coach Mulee and his team of officials.
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Thic Clueless colo #$%$ dey go watch Eknay isntead of S.Africa!Kanta fiya em yarnsh!
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

We are changing our tactics and we must beat South Africa. The boys will play a different game," Chukwu added.
IAG:
Take note.
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

Slow, tired leg and inexperienced as a defender Lawal at Left back, has anybody bothered to tell CCC about zoom zoom Zuma !!!!!!! If this is true and Zuma shows up with his shooting boots I envision bad things happening, very, very bad things.
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach