Chukwu Needs a 'Boss' - Westerhof

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

qwerty
Egg
Egg
Chukwu Needs a 'Boss' - Westerhof

Post by qwerty »

Email This Page

Print This Page

Visit The Publisher's Site

This Day (Lagos)

January 30, 2004
Posted to the web January 30, 2004

Lagos

Former Super Eagles manager, Clemens Westerhof, has indirectly indicted present Eagles coach, Christian Chukwu impling that he is weak.

Westerhof who spoke exclusively to THISDAYSports on phone from his home in Cape Town, South Africa said Chukwu needed a 'boss' in order to bring the best out of him.

"Chukwu is okay. the only problem is that he needs a boss, someone who will be able to say no to the officials that will try to influence his selections.

He has to be very firm and make sure that the players will listen to him. If he can do this he will become a good manager."

Although Chukwu was Westerhof's assistant for almost four years, many believed that he stayed that long not because he was important to the Dutchman but because he did not rock the boat like the previuos coaches.

Before him was Tunde Disu, the man who giuded the Flying Eagles to a silver finish at Saudi'89, and Sebastine Brodericks, whose Golden Eaglets became the first Africzn team to win a FIFA tournament when they won the U-17 Cup at China'85. Both fell out with the Dutchman complaining of his overbearing attitude.

After Chukwu's stint with Westerhof he failed to guide both his former club Rangers and Iwuanyanwu Nationale to glory before heading off to Lebanon. He tried to stage a comeback with the Eagles ahead of the 2002 World Cup and Mali Nations Cup campaigns but lost out to Shaibu Ahmodu and Stephen Keshi and then headed to Kenya where he was sacked after the Harambee Stars failed to win a single match and failed to qualify for Mali 2002.

Relevant Links

West Africa
Nigeria
Soccer

Although, he tried to justfy the team's failure on the fact that they did not have quality players in his absence Kenya qualified for Tunisia 2004.

Chukwu still has games against South Africa and Republic of Benin to redeem himself. Should Eagles fail to get past the two teams his contract with the NFA will definitly not be renewed.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200401300645.html
Bell

Post by Bell »

SOME SAY C3 IS TECHNICALLY CHALLENGED

I don't know about that but, like me, Westerhoff sees the problem as one of being tough on players and the NFA.
Bell
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

CCC is a retarded coach. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

we need any one who has the liver to bench Kanu and /or Okocha...
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

under westerhoff, okocha was a fringe player. westeroff will bench anybody that misbehave. he punished sia sia for being selfish in one of the qualifying matches to WC and that is why he bench him against italy.
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

under westerhoff, okocha was a fringe player. westeroff will bench anybody that misbehave. he punished sia sia for being selfish in one of the qualifying matches to WC and that is why he bench him against italy.

if we didn't fire westeroff, he could have took us to semifinal in 1998.
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

CCC is a retarded coach. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cyber Saint
Re: Chukwu Needs a 'Boss' - Westerhof

Post by Cyber Saint »

qwerty wrote: Westerhof who spoke exclusively to THISDAYSports on phone from his home in Cape Town, South Africa said Chukwu needed a 'boss' in order to bring the best out of him.

"Chukwu is okay. the only problem is that he needs a boss, someone who will be able to say no to the officials that will try to influence his selections.

He has to be very firm and make sure that the players will listen to him. If he can do this he will become a good manager."

My sentiments exactly!!!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Chukwu Needs a 'Boss' - Westerhof

Post by theYemster »

Cyber Saint wrote:
qwerty wrote: Westerhof who spoke exclusively to THISDAYSports on phone from his home in Cape Town, South Africa said Chukwu needed a 'boss' in order to bring the best out of him.

My sentiments exactly!!!
You don't realise how ironic your comment is;

The fact that Chukwu can't do the above proves he can't handle the job;

Saying NO to anyone who influences his selection, being firm and making the players respect and listen to him is part of the requirements of being the coach; the fact that Chukwu lacks these things (just like you have just admitted) clearly shows he is NOT qualified for the job;
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

CCC's day of reckoning is less than 10 hours away...For the sake of our soccer, I hope he passes the test..
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

The Yemster, I've always stated, in very clear terms, that CCC is too "gentle" to call those superbrats to order as and when due.
And as a matter of fact, when CCC got this job, I was the first person to say that his only short coming would be in the area of controlling the team. Even in Ranger, it was Emman Okala who calls the players bluff, when necessary.
Hence, what CW said, wasn't new to me.....he was actually speaking my mind.

Got it????
Sampo
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

How many bosses can a man need?

If na boss matter, dem boku for camp:
Galadima dey there. Ogunjobi dey there. Musa the Sports Minister dey there. Plenty big-man politicians go dey there too.

What else does it take to get Chukwu going? Like he will be needing the bosses' mind to borrow, abi? Westerhoff's insinuation is that Chukwu doesn't have his own. Abeg now. Chukwu is okay indeed, only needing just one special boss from Pluto. Salt into the wounds, if you ask me.
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

Sampo, while I won't put it the same as CW, I think CCC needs a no nonsense leader of men like Daniel Passarelli or the later Eman Okala to call the big boys to order when they misbehave.