Nigeria v S Africa preview

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bigshawn30
Egg
Egg

Post by bigshawn30 »

Zuma celebrates during South Africa's win over Benin
Sat 31 Jan, Group D, Monastir, kick-off 1300 GMT
Nigeria will be looking to put recent troubles in the camp behind them with a win over Group D leaders South Africa.

The Super Eagles, who are down to a squad of 19 following the expulsion of three of their players because of indiscipline, are without a point following a surprise opening game defeat to Morocco.

Nigeria trio kicked out
The versatile Garba Lawal, who was surprisingly dropped for the Morocco clash, will fill in at left full-back in place of expelled Chelsea defender Celestine Babayaro.

In midfield the choice will be between Poland-based Ifeanyi Ekwueme and Osaze Odemwingie, who features for Belgian La Louviere.

Pick your Nigeria squad
Goalkeeper Austin Ejide, who was suffering from a hamstring complaint, is close to regaining his fitness.

South Africa are likely to name an unchanged team from the one that defeated Benin in their opening group encounter.

Pick your South Africa squad
Midfielder Benson Mhlongo told BBC Sport that the squad was in confident mood following the victory.

"After our win against Benin, we said to ourselves, why not beat Nigeria and Morocco too and then go on to the final," the 23-year-old said.

"The confidence among the boys is high and we want to do well, not only for the country but also for ourselves."
ALL NIGERIA UNDER 17GAMES QUARTER, sEMI & fINAL & All Super Eagles ANC 2008 & PLAYERS INTERVIEWS IN DVD FREE POSTAGE WORLDWIDE PM 4 DETAILS.
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Things never spoil finish.
who no know go know.
bigshawn30
Egg
Egg

Post by bigshawn30 »

Chukwu wins vote of confidence

By Osasu Obayiuwana
BBC Sport, Monastir

Report: Nigeria 0-1 Morocco
Nigeria team profile
Nigeria squad selector
Nigeria's sports minister Musa Mohammed has declared his confidence in the ability of Super Eagles manager Christian Chukwu, despite the Cup of Nations defeat to Morocco.
Nigeria, among the favourites for this year's crown, were beaten 1-0 in their opening game on Tuesday.

But Mohammed told BBC Sport: "I still have confidence in Chukwu."

He added: "I think that the team Chukwu presented for the match against Morocco is the best that the country can present at the moment.

"It was unfortunate that we lost, but in football sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

"I think that if Chukwu and the players are given a bit of a push, we will be alright in the next two games," Mohammed said.

But the sports minister insisted that the Super Eagles ultimately require the services of an expatriate coach, as long as the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) can raise the funds to pay his salary.

All I have in my mind is for Nigeria to win this cup and I think they are still going to do that

Musa Mohammed, Nigeria sports minister

"If we are going to have a foreign coach, the Nigeria Football Association must show that they have the funds to foot the bill.

"Unless we change the policy, it is not the responsibility of the government to pay for a foreign coach," Mohammed said.

The sports minister denied interfering in the daily running of the NFA, which would go against Fifa regulations that protect football associations from governmental interference.

But Mohammed said that he reserves the right to ensure that NFA secretary-general Taiwo Ogunjobi, who is the body's chief executive, does a proper job of managing Nigerian football.

"If he [the secretary-general of the NFA] is doing things wrong we have to put him right.

"Don't forget that the ministry appointed the secretary-general."

With immense pressure on Chukwu and NFA officials to earn their passage to the knockout stages of the Nations Cup, Mohammed did not rule out the dissolution of the NFA board should they fail to live up to expectations in Tunisia.

"Let's wait and see. For now, all I have in my mind is for Nigeria to win this cup and I think they are still going to do that," Mohammed said.
ALL NIGERIA UNDER 17GAMES QUARTER, sEMI & fINAL & All Super Eagles ANC 2008 & PLAYERS INTERVIEWS IN DVD FREE POSTAGE WORLDWIDE PM 4 DETAILS.