Eguavoen in Showdown With Chukwu

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Shownoja
Egg
Egg
Eguavoen in Showdown With Chukwu

Post by Shownoja »

http://www.thisdayonline.com/sport/20040130spo02.html

Assistant Super Eagles coach and former captain of the team, Austin Eguavoen is set to do battle with his boss Christain Chukwu over the precarious situation the Eagles now find themselves in at the Nations Cup following their shock 1-0 loss to Morocco on Tuesday.

The Eagles, tipped as one of the favourites for the title before the competition kicked off last weekend, now find themselves second from bottom of Group D and needing to win their remaining matches if they are to stay on in the competition.

The defeat has forced the assistant coach to go public with his disquiet over Chukwu's handling of the team. "We have a chance to do well in the championship but things have to be better done. I will, therefore, be talking to Chukwu on my own opinion of how things should be done," he said yesterday.

According to camp sources Chukwu and his assistant do not see eye-to-eye over a number of issues including those the coach called to camp.

Eguavoen, who was a player when Chukwu, as Clemens Westerhof's assistant, guided the Eagles to cup glory 10 years ago, has publicly expressed his surprise at the exclusion of in form Sochaux midfielder Wilson Oruma. He has also admitted that he and the other coaches were often not carried along by the head coach in matters affecting the Eagles.

Meanwhile, Chukwu has received the backing of the Sports Minister, Col. Musa Mohammed, who said he was still confident that he would guide Nigeria to the knock out stage of the competition.

"I have confidence in Chukwu. I'm sure he will still get the players to deliver the goods," Mohammed said at the Amir Hotel, Monastir yesterday.

He also said that he was not against the employment of a foreign coach but, however, insisted that the FA must not only follow "due process" but also must go for a "reputable" coach.

"We need a reputable coach. And once they (NFA) can prove that they have enough funds to pay for such a coach I will give my approval," he said.

Incidentally, the minister had at the last minute blocked the FA's attempts at employing former England skipper, Bryan Robson, on the ground that the Glass House had failed to provide evidence of how they intended to pay for his services. He also questioned the pedigree of the former Manchester United great.
To stop trying is to start dying
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

This things have been brewing. Remember when Keshi said something about the problem in camp? This is it. If Egu had his way players like melkam, Kalu and Obodo would have made the list. Eguaveon also have been against the inclusion of Kanu in the starting line up.
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

It is quite unprofessional for Eguavoen to open his mouth now. He should hold fire and at least try and portray some form of unity. Is it in every competition we go to we must hear tales of disunity?
To stop trying is to start dying
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Shownoja wrote:It is quite unprofessional for Eguavoen to open his mouth now. He should hold fire and at least try and portray some form of unity. Is it in every competition we go to we must hear tales of disunity?
well said, this is not the time for Austine to be opening his mouth afterall they were in Faro together what would he have said if the team had won against Morocco?.
who no know go know.
Baggy
Egg
Egg

Post by Baggy »

"Shownoja"]It is quite unprofessional for Eguavoen to open his mouth now. He should hold fire and at least try and portray some form of unity. Is it in every competition we go to we must hear tales of disunity?

Shownoja my broda, have worked for some immidiate superiors that you just can not speak to, no matter how much you tried.
Regarding opening his mouth, should he wait until everything get's rotten b/4 and we are out b/4 he voice this things out.
Obviously from this report it shows that CCC has not seek their opinion in his selection from the early stage, which is out of order.
Reason is if the technical crew can't work as a team what example is the boss showing.
I believe he must have tried some form of unity b/4 voicing out. I am also sure that he was not just speaking for himself but carrying the voice of the other technical crew.

One thing i am fed up that i agree with you is that there is no tourney that we go that there is never a problem.
Let them sort (CCC & co) their house out and put things in order.
I now see through the eyes of JESUS CHRIST - An Indian woman HEALED by our LORD JESUS CHRIST @ Ben Hinn Healing Crusade .
What About You?

What we do, does not define who we are, what define's us is how well we rise after we have fallen.

The only consistency of the referees is there Inconsistencies - Wigan FC Manager.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Shownoja wrote:It is quite unprofessional for Eguavoen to open his mouth now. He should hold fire and at least try and portray some form of unity. Is it in every competition we go to we must hear tales of disunity?
True but not if your boss is stubbornly unreasonable. If am in this situation i'll do the same thing. The way CC is going it seems he's paid to sabotage the SE. Reading through previous Egu interview it is obvious he had tried everyway possible to make CC come to his sense, this was even before the first match was played. Maybe its the showdown talk that would just make CC understand playing kanu and JJ will never cut it. Laws are there to be obeys but if the government make a bad law will you obey it? absolutely not.
Last edited by Talk IT on Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Eguavoen doesn't want to be associated with the SE vs Morocco line up.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Guv007 wrote:Eguavoen doesn't want to be associated with the SE vs Morocco line up.
:D :D
Seems like the line up of a madman
NEDI
Egg
Egg

Post by NEDI »

Talk IT wrote:
True but not if your boss is stubbornly unreasonable. If am in this situation i'll do the same thing. The way CC is going it seems he's paid to sabotage the SE. Reading through previous Egu interview it is obvious he had tried everyway possible to make CC come to his sense, this was even before the first match was played. Maybe its the showdown talk that would just make CC understand playing kanu and JJ will never cut it. Laws are there to be obeys but if the government make a bad law will you obey it? absolutely not.
Talk IT, not that I sanction this type of attitude from a superior, but the ideal thing for Egu to do would have been to resign the position based on principles. What will his voicing his opinion to journos do other than create ground for more chaos.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

True, the best thing could have been to resign.
NEDI wrote:
Talk IT wrote:
Talk IT, not that I sanction this type of attitude from a superior, but the ideal thing for Egu to do would have been to resign the position based on principles. What will his voicing his opinion to journos do other than create ground for more chaos.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

NEDI wrote:
Talk IT wrote:
you are correct o, my bro
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."