Martins will represent Nigeria at,,,,04

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mystic

Post by mystic »

Abeg, take am easy on Martins. He is a kid trying to sort out his career.

By the way, if he will be available for the Olympics, then that is fine - as long as he is willing to show up for an Olympic qualifier when we need him.

I, for one, have never seen what all the rush was. Let the guy grow into an international.

Just think about it, over the coming year he will be needed for the ANC, Olympic qualifiers, Olympics and ANC/World Cup qualifiers. I'm sure his club exerted a lot of pressure on him looking ahead to next year's calender.

Anyhow, we don't need him to win the ANC.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

I don't know what the noise is about. The man feels he is too good to play for Nigeria, he wants to be in Athens but doesn't want to work his way to Athens.
Well, good luck to him.

I just hope he does not live to regret this opportunity.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

nemi2002 wrote:I don't know what the noise is about. The man feels he is too good to play for Nigeria, he wants to be in Athens but doesn't want to work his way to Athens.
Well, good luck to him.

I just hope he does not live to regret this opportunity.

Dude you are not making any sense here....If he felt he was too good for Nigeria he wouldnt have even bothered saying he wanted to play in the Olympics or ever wear a Nigeria jersey...I mean havent you heard him say he does not feel he is ready to be a full international? How does that equate to saying he feels to good to play for Naija....Abeg leave the kid alone, it is his perogative
omonoba
Egg
Egg

Post by omonoba »

anikulapo, there are still a lot of inconsistencies in what martins has been saying. He's been saying for some time now that he doesn't feel ready for the full national team. Then why does he keep dodging the call-ups to the u-23 team where he is needed and would have a big impact?
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

I hear you on that, but I still say that the guy has the right to steer his professional career in a way that will best suit himself and his family without having to deal with the insults and the whining of people who wont give two craps about him if he loses form all of a sudden and gets put to pasture by Inter....I mean, Bobby Brown sang it and I believe it: "It My Perogative"
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
authority
Egg
Egg

Post by authority »

If this boy does not participate with the qualifiers he should as well forget playing for us during the Athens 04. Indeed, we are not short on strikers . If he does not take this opportunity and run , who knows what the future will hold for him or who will spring up tomorrow. This reminds me of Mr. Akinide [pardon my spelling ] who refused all callS to help us when he was hot but now even the Nnobi united will not use him . For God sake we should let him enjoy his new found fame .
omonoba
Egg
Egg

Post by omonoba »

anikulapo, guys on this site that are expressing their frustration are doing so mainly because of the deceitful , 2-faced manner he has gone about this whole business. If he had come out straight from the start and said he didn't plan to play for the eagles this year, or any national team for that matter, u wouldn't have this sort of outrage. But the guy has led the FA and Nigerians on a merry-go-round.
The excuses that he doesn't have the confidence of his coach are ridiculous. Do you know how tough it is for an 18 year old to get the kind of playing time he's getting in Italy? That only happens when the club believes such a player is their star for the future, which is the case with inter. The fans love him, the top echelons of their management love him. Any coach who refuses to play him at all will have to answer some hard questions from the owner of the team as martins is seen as their big star for the future
dudu
Egg
Egg
Re: Martins will represent Nigeria at,,,,04

Post by dudu »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Obafemi martins was on AIT today making it clear he will not play at the Tunisa 04 ANC, but will participate at Athens 04 and WC06 qualifiers. He said Nigeria has a lot of talents to do without him, and doesn't feel he is ready for SE yet.
it is very sad Obafemi has chosen to take this position, he has been ill- advised, well too bad if he doesnt come, cos he has more to lose than to gain..., the likes of geremi, okocha, kanu (most especially) are enjoying prominence in europe cos of the National team... i wonder who is advising this man (he is not 18 he shud be smatter than this)
obong obuma
Egg
Egg

Post by obong obuma »

Martins should realise we are talking about Nigeria not Benin or Togo.He will be hard pressed to get a starting shirt ahead of Aghahowa and Aiyegbeni(and an on form Agali).If he misses the ANC,he'll have a hard road to travel to even get a shirt once the WC qualifiers start.A good ANC by the SE will doom him as no coach really wants to change a winning squad.
Winning is not everything....it is the only thing!
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Guys,

To God, I think you're even paying this guy too much attention, that's why he's poncing around....the guy is an attention seeker, and the best way to deal with him is to ignore him.

He's new to European footy, he'll soon find out that those people (coaches, pressmen and fans) lying to him, can disappear rapidly. Club set-ups change quickly in Europe, and thus changing players' fortunes.

The only way he can constantly be reminding the world every 1-2 years that you're still a top footballer is by playing for your country regularly. Leave am, him go still come beg.

Q
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Bullocks!

If he refuses to help Nigeria in Africa's most prestigious tournament NOW when he is needed, then I am believe he has not Nigeria's interest at heart.

Nigeria is not yet sure to participate in the Olympics or the WC 2006, so his promises are as empty as his feelings for his country.

Ultimately, its his life, and he can do what he wants with it.
He might become the best striker in the world for all I care;

Today, he has lost a fan in me. :x

Good Luck Eagles....
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
authority
Egg
Egg

Post by authority »

This boy is a good player, but not the one that we can not do without. Our country is blessed with many strikers and more are still on the pipe line waiting to spring up. Nobody knew of him two years ago except his families and friends . Strikers are like flowers, beautiful for some days and the rest is histroy . If we did not ask Ucheokechukwu to come back , how in the world shall we miss somebody we never tested.
La Reussi
Egg
Egg

Post by La Reussi »

Abeg wetin be this boy's problem?

La Reussi
In all things and every situation, give thanks to God.
Janganza
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Janganza »

Martins have proved to be a decietful and dishonest dude. I used to be a fan of him but was highly disappointed. He seems to be the kind of guy that tell you what you want to hear to your face and do a different thing in your back. It is sad for a young man like him at such an early stage of his carrier.
delisyomie
Egg
Egg

Post by delisyomie »

somebody wrote:So the other guyz in camp are not talented, abi? U dont refuse because your are "not ready"
FOGET THIS MATIN OBA,DOES HE EVEN KNOW WHETHER NIGERIA WILL QUALIFY FOR ATHENS,EVEN IF THEY QUALIFIED ,THEY WILL NOT NEED HIM BECAUSE HE ALWAYS TURN DOWN THE QUALIFYING MATCHES,AM SICK OF HERING ABOUT THIS GUY,TALK ABOUT THE GREAT FOOTBALLERS WE ALREADY LOST DUE TO DEFERENTS REASONS, EG-ETIM ESIM,KENETH ZEIGO,JERO SAPOKE E.T.C
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Janganza wrote:Martins have proved to be a decietful and dishonest dude. I used to be a fan of him but was highly disappointed. He seems to be the kind of guy that tell you what you want to hear to your face and do a different thing in your back. It is sad for a young man like him at such an early stage of his carrier.
what the hell are you yapping about? How has he been deceitful and dishonest?