Were we that good? Or SA very poor?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Were we that good? Or SA very poor?

Post by airwolex »

We were flattered by the scoreline. The guys did okay but i just think SA are very poor. The midfield of moshues and buckley were second rate. I still think we need to improve against the better teams. I thought Nomvete was quick but Yobo outsprinted him a couple of times, congrats but we beat a poor team.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

I disagree, we were quite good today. Did you notice our formation. It was a 4-1-3-2 and it worked a treat once Seyi got it into his head that his job was to sit in front of the back 4. A DM he surely aint, but a decent ancorman.
To stop trying is to start dying
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

I agree the scoreline did not reflect the game. But two workers (Seyi and Ekwueme) in midfield suit us fine. If Okocha steps up, we can go places.
http://www.naijiant.com/
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Maija can only get better.I doubted Nigeria beating anybody more than 3 goals but damn i have been proved super wrong today.
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
rmejule
Egg
Egg

Post by rmejule »

Wole i just missed una call. We no dey see the games here o. Na soso commentry
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

gaddem Niga!E better say u no watch the game i nearly sh*t myself with tension. Can't u watch it online?
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

We have give credit where credit is due. The SE played with passion and alot of character for 2 reasons: a) They had a point to prove to themselves and the world; b) They were able to play their game cos CCC selected the right personnel and deployed them in the right position.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
omonoba
Egg
Egg

Post by omonoba »

guys, we can only improve from here. If the coach re-watches this game and points out our flaws, we will take it a notch.
We put in a hardworking performance today and did enough to win. some of the important elements in our game weren't firing at their full - okocha(due to his late arrival i think), JAG, utaka are not yet up to speed. But we did what we had to do as a TEAM and that is what counts
NEDI
Egg
Egg
Re: Were we that good? Or SA very poor?

Post by NEDI »

airwolex wrote:We were flattered by the scoreline. The guys did okay but i just think SA are very poor. The midfield of moshues and buckley were second rate. I still think we need to improve against the better teams. I thought Nomvete was quick but Yobo outsprinted him a couple of times, congrats but we beat a poor team.
Hey any which way you flip it, I'll still take the result Jack.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

I expected a bit more from them. We deserved to win but we had massive breaks. No way was that a penalty. And they could have had one themselves. Thank God for that oyinbo boy! What fantastic goals.
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

airwolex wrote:I expected a bit more from them. We deserved to win but we had massive breaks. No way was that a penalty. And they could have had one themselves. Thank God for that oyinbo boy! What fantastic goals.
That penalty should have been a foul against Kanu for unintentionally tripping the SA defender.

The ref could also have given a penalty against us, but he did not.

In the end, we worked hard (harder that we did in the first match), the coach improved on his tactical awareness, and we took our chances.

We committed too many corners, though.
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

rmejule,
eh eh Fada Jero? na you?
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

Vincent. wrote:
airwolex wrote:
We committed too many corners, though.
...I agree. Its like you can feel every single one, by how much flapping Enyeama does on it. The bobo is a very good keeper. Awesome shot stopper, but he should maybe grow a few inches if that's what he needs to be good at crosses.

But did u see the RSA gk, he was worse than Enyeama. The guy flapped his hands so bad on one cross, I thought he was gonna take off and fly away. The first goal is also a good example.
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

The score flattered Nigeria, Nigeria deserved to win but it was more like a 2-1 win than a 4-0.

The first half was Nigeria's but for most of the early part of the second half SA did have the upper hand

Three things the match hinged on in my opinion were

1 . Our penalty, replays showed that Kanu clearly clipped the Defender, not intentionally, but he did. A lot of referees would not have given that penalty.

2. Yobo pole-axing Zuma. At 2-0 that would have been a clear chance to for South Africa to claw back to 2-1. That was a clear penalty for SA and to compound matters Zuma never recovered and was eventually substituted.

3. The SA coach decision not to susbstitute thier keeper even though towards the end of the game he could hardly walk. This was before he used up all his sustitutes. I guess he gambled on getting goals rather than worrying about conceeding more.

The team was a lot more solid overall and I despite the points above I could not see South Africa beating us. So kudos to CCC and the team and lets not lose concentration against Benin, we don't want to screw it up now
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

AreaDaddy wrote:1 . Our penalty, replays showed that Kanu clearly clipped the Defender, not intentionally, but he did. A lot of referees would not have given that penalty.
Ol'boy eye dey pain you? :shock: You mean to say even after replay you did not see that Kanu did not even touch the guy? Na real wa for you.
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Robby,

I don watch the match twice and I dey watch the highlights again right now. It will no doubt confirm this....I no say Kanu na you boy and you no dey like hear anything about the guy...but na so e happen
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

AreaDaddy wrote:Robby,

I don watch the match twice and I dey watch the highlights again right now. It will no doubt confirm this....I no say Kanu na you boy and you no dey like hear anything about the guy...but na so e happen
Actually, the South African trip over his own legs, but I also believe that Kanu gave him an ever-so-slight help a few seconds before his trip. And we clearly got away with a penalty a few minutes later.
northAfrican
Egg
Egg

Post by northAfrican »

Today I saw Nigeria play at their worst. And at their worst they are formidable. This is Nigeria 24 hours from fights and expulsions and still jet lagged. This is Nigeria without preparation. Wait and see when someone gets in their face when they are having a good day. That is what makes them great. What makes them worth watching. Nothing is too great for Nigeria to do; not even having really bad days and loosing to much lesser team. That is the peom that is Nigeria.
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

AreaDaddy wrote:Robby,

Ol'boy go and rewatch the match again. It is clear for the naked eye to see that the South African tripped on his own leg.
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

give credit where credit is due and alot of it has to go to osaze..the boy was full of confidence and created 2 goals from nothing...if it wasnt for Osaze and and a stupid penealty we wouldn't have scored more than one...
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

i thought the pealty was givin for "hand ball", under no circumstances is a player allowed to catch the ball before the whistle goes. like in the olympics Nigeria vs Mexico.
(most ref's do not strictly follow this though
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

Blakes wrote:give credit where credit is due and alot of it has to go to osaze..the boy was full of confidence and created 2 goals from nothing...if it wasnt for Osaze and and a stupid penealty we wouldn't have scored more than one...
how was his goal created out of nothing?
Egg

Post by Blakes »

how was his goal created out of nothing?
First goal he was stil being marked..he beat his man and scored...it wasnt like another player put him through for a one on one with the keeper..Plus he was in a tight angle for both goals..U cant tell me u expected those goals....when a goal is unexpected then u know it was created out of nothing...both goals were totally unexpected...hence they were created out of nothing...If only aghahowa could do this...well he did it once at the WC...but that ws once...

oh and if the penalty was from a hand ball then we did not create it...that handball was dumb and totally unecessary...we can't hope for such luck in other matches..and BTW i didnt even see the handball, I will watch it agin closely and look for the handball but i didnt see handball and thats what makes it controversial..
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie