U.S. Warns Against Travel to Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

Updated: 05:40 PM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) - Americans were warned Monday by the State Department to stay away from Nigeria.

Travelers to the African country face risks of violent crime, including kidnappings, by ordinary citizens as well as police and military personnel.

"Kidnapping for ransom of persons associated with the petroleum sector, including U.S. citizens, remains common in the Niger Delta area," the department said.

Also, the statement said, religious tension between some Muslim and Christian communities could erupt quickly without warning.

12/29/03 17:39 EST
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
living
Egg
Egg

Post by living »

This people don come again,abeg make them go siddon jare.make we hear word
Things might come to those who wait but only those things left behind by those who hustle-Abraham Lincoln
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Kidnapping by "ordinary citizens"? Does "ordinary citizens" include you, me and the man on the street?
ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet
ROSSIKE

Post by ROSSIKE »

Perhaps they're planning some sort of future attack, and all this is just to soften up US and world opinion for the impending military assault, the impending 'liberation'.

Just a thought.
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

Ordinary citizens means just that! A white expat I know came back from Nigeria last week after an 6 month assignment there. He and his driver got kidnapped by two policemen! They had to pay N4,000 to be released!!! An expat he worked with out there was also kidnapped by some area boys. When he told them he only had N2k on him they shot the driver dead to show they were serious!

That's Nigeria for you in the last 6 months!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

If more countries put out this sorts of warnings it might hopefully lead to some change. My sister's beau came back from home just 2 days before Xmas. 2 of his friends visiting Naija have already been raided and had substantial goods & cash stolen.
Our cops & soldiers act more like gangs than law enforcers & protectors of the realm.
Without law a country sucks - we must deal with this instead of fronting 'cos no one's fooled.
ukblack
Egg
Egg

Post by ukblack »

Can I just throw a question out there, how many of you would tell a white mate of yours to go to Nigeria on their own?
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

UKblack - for me it ain't even about the colour. People I know of who've been robbed over the last 10 days are Naijas based abroad visiting and seen to have foreign exchange.
Law and order if sorted takes care of our own the consequences is that foreigners will benefit - Brown,White,Black.
I would on present info advise friends to visit Russia 'cos of crime not the race of the majority etc.
Many American friends of mine and other members of my family are black and I would advise them to visit with a guardian like they've always.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

I meant don't visit Russia 'cos of the crime rates
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

they've had these warnings since at least 98

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

White people know how dangerous Nigeria is but they still go there cos of the lure of MONEY.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

A colleague of mine asked me here at work the other day after reading the warning. He was amazed at my non-challant dirisive dismissal of the warning and I had to explain to her that this warning is becoming so routinely trite that no reasonable business people bother to heed it anyomore, except ofcourse if the warning is about Iraq, which unfortunately is under U.S occupation....How about that :?: :mrgreen:
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

FF I honestly don't understand the point you are trying to make here!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)