Uwua to get 7.5 Million to coach insurance

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kneedeep
Egg
Egg
Uwua to get 7.5 Million to coach insurance

Post by Kneedeep »

www.newage-online.com/sports/article01/

Loquacious Bendel Insurance FC of Benin’s chief coach Godwin Koko Uwua would be paid N225,000 monthly salary and is entitled to a staggering sign-on fee of N7.5million for which he has been paid N4.5 million upfront to become the highest paid Nigerian coach.

NewAgeSports gathered exclusively in Benin City that out of the N50 million released to the team for the 2004 Globacom Premier league competition, N20 million has been paid into a separate account to be used for the payment of players’ salaries for 12 months.

It was also gathered that Enyimba FC of Aba’s goalkeeper Dele Aiyenugba has dumped the team, following fresh negotiations he had with the Africa Champions League Cup champhions, just as the Aba side refused to extend the contract it signed with the Benin side for Ihenaho Kelechi.

Following the disappointment from Aiyenugba, Bendel scouts are heading to Lagos to see if they can lure Julius Berger FC of Lagos’ goalkeeper Chijoke Ejiogu to Benin, since it is the opinion of the scouts that the team needs one of the top five goalkeepers in the country.

Already, two Berger players in Endurance Idahor and Sheriff have accepted to join the Benin side in the same manner as Rangers FC of Enugu’s midfielder Osagie Osahon has agreed to come to Benin, provided Insurance FC’s management can secure the release of Idahor and Sheriff from the Bridge boys’ camp in Lagos.

:shock: This changes everything. If Uwua fails to prove himself as a proffesional, he has nowhere to hide. No excuses about getting tapes of opposition or any other aides or equipment. He should be able to shoulder the costs of some neccesities in todays game.

I hope we see more financial commitments like this from team owners, this is the first step to a proffesional league, proffesional salaries. Besides I am sure despite the pressure for results, the Edo State government would be loathe to fire Uwua and let him walk away with their 4.5m just like that....
nasoo
Egg
Egg

Post by nasoo »

After some people go say wetin Orji Kalu start no good, money never dey come out now? This one sef na small , more go soon follow. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
IN GOD I TRUST, WITHOUT HIM I AM NOTHING
sunshinestar
Egg
Egg

Post by sunshinestar »

This is good for soccer in Nigeria,our administrators should spend more,what's better than money? :roll:
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

I think my once mighty Insurance are beginning to wake up from their long slumber. It is time we started whooping some Rangers and Sootin backsides again. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Would you be saying this if the money being spent was suppose to be use to build the hospital in your town? Yes football need money but its out of order if other more important areas are neglected because of it.
sunshinestar wrote:This is good for soccer in Nigeria,our administrators should spend more,what's better than money? :roll:
living
Egg
Egg

Post by living »

Men waz up with Shooting. I will like to see them thrashing teams like Bendel Insurance as a gift to waffiman :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Things might come to those who wait but only those things left behind by those who hustle-Abraham Lincoln
Kaizer
Egg
Egg

Post by Kaizer »

Living,
Waffiman knows that the New year will really long (Only Arsenal will console him).....
Shooting Stars are in camp right now ........
AO is still sticking to his last year 's strategy( Young unknown players+ really old experienced couple)
He is also sticking to the collection "Ex-shooting" coaches
(Akande ,JossyLad,Best,Fawole,Lati yussuff,Ojebode).....

Honestly , i would have loved for AO to get big stars to shooting stars because he needs the experience (but he is sticking to Kunde and Agoye)

I think it will be mid-table performance this season(definately above Insurance)
Gotti
Re: Uwua to get 7.5 Million to coach insurance

Post by Gotti »

Kneedeep wrote:This changes everything. If Uwua fails to prove himself as a proffesional, he has nowhere to hide. No excuses about getting tapes of opposition or any other aides or equipment. He should be able to shoulder the costs of some neccesities in todays game.
KNEEDEEP:
Why should the coach use his PERSONAL wages to "shoulder the costs of some neccesities in todays game"? Do you use your own wages to shoulder the costs of some necessities at your place of work?! Again, folks here often seem to blur the dichotomy between the coaching staff and the administrative staff. There is no point in paying a coach N20m unless he is going to be provided with the tools that he requires to effectively do the job.
Last edited by Gotti on Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaizer
Egg
Egg

Post by Kaizer »

Well said Gotti
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Talk IT wrote:Would you be saying this if the money being spent was suppose to be use to build the hospital in your town? Yes football need money but its out of order if other more important areas are neglected because of it.
TALK IT:
Philosophically, I am against the state ownership of football clubs (the lot should be speedily privatized) and the spending of inordinate amounts by ego-tripping governors on these clubs (of course, those funds could easily be embezzled otherwise).

Nevertheless, development is NOT piece-meal. In other words, Nigeria cannot afford to wait until every town has a functioning hospital (as opposed to just "a hospital") to develop other parts of its economic life -- and football in Nigeria provides THOUSANDS of direct and indirect employment for Nigerians.

Furthermore, even if Nigeria spent every kobo that she earns on healthcare, there will be scores of health and other needs that will remain unmet -- because Nigeria is simply not as "rich" as some Nigerians apparently believe. Ultimately, however, it is about prioritizing and virtually all Nigerian states do not spend as much on football as they spend on healthcare.
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Kaizer wrote:

Honestly , i would have loved for AO to get big stars to shooting stars because he needs the experience (but he is sticking to Kunde and Agoye)
Based on my understanding, there are numerous reasons why AO is sticking to the young and unknown stars. (1) It is not economic sound to pay between 0.25 million to 1 million on a big star who will abandon the team mid-way to the season by jetting out to Europe. On the other hand, you could use the same amount of money to purchase two unknown stars and then expose them. A case in point is Kola Ige, who joined Sooting stars from an amateur side called Ida/Kogi United. Today the same relatively unknown Ige is fast becoming a big name in the Nigerian soccer. Quite impressive that he was one of the goalies considered for the Under-23 team. If he works harder, who knows he might make it big in 3-5 years in the national team. Femi Emmanuel is another example. Today, relative unknown Femi is now the first choice right full-back of the under-23 team (2) While experience is vital to a team's success, you still need good fighting spirit and passion for excellence to make it big. These young unknown stars bring that to the team often. Remember how Taofeek Malik, Olumide Harris, Gbenga Okunowo, Agoye and et.al who joined Sooting stars from Exide FC and other small clubs changed the landscape of Nigerian soccer between 1992 and 1996 under the tutelage of Uncle Alabi Aissen, Lekan Olaseikan, the late Tunde Bandele, Sam Ojebode, Felix Owolabi, Zackary Baraje, Godfrey Esu and Shuibu Amodu (3) With the young stars, you have more time to groom them together and build a strong team chemistry. Remember that 1990 all-conquering Stores team of the late Abdullahi Bebe and the 1987/1988 Sooting stars that had Mutiu Adepoju and et.al
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Kaizer
Egg
Egg

Post by Kaizer »

Toxic ,
Happy holidays.
I cannot fault what AO is doing . Even if its works out great, I will hail him as the genius but u agree with me that the likes of Lobi,Enyimba and Berger can easily buy the mentioned players because of lure of continental exposure .....

I'm not clamouring for a wholesale change of the team but u need pro-league stars to give u the right mix........
for every Okunowo, there was a Duke Udi and for every Taofeek Malik there was Golden Ajeboh,Friday Xtopher ,Tarila and Babalade to guide them........

3 or 4 outstanding (not neccessarily stars) will do us a lot of good.

I dont think these young boys are ready for the politics involved in playing at places like Gombe,Lobi or Kano Pillars......Oghara episode will be a child's play compared to the atmosphere
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Kaizer wrote:Toxic ,
Happy holidays.
I cannot fault what AO is doing . Even if its works out great, I will hail him as the genius but u agree with me that the likes of Lobi,Enyimba and Berger can easily buy the mentioned players because of lure of continental exposure .....

I'm not clamouring for a wholesale change of the team but u need pro-league stars to give u the right mix........
for every Okunowo, there was a Duke Udi and for every Taofeek Malik there was Golden Ajeboh,Friday Xtopher ,Tarila and Babalade to guide them........

3 or 4 outstanding (not neccessarily stars) will do us a lot of good.

I dont think these young boys are ready for the politics involved in playing at places like Gombe,Lobi or Kano Pillars......Oghara episode will be a child's play compared to the atmosphere
No doubt.....Absolutely we need at least 3-5 experienced players in the starting line-up. That way, the young players could learn from the older ones. For instance, Felix Owolabi, Ajibade Babalade and Tarila Okorowanta's experiences helped in the 1992 CAF Cup campaign.

Hopefully, if the privatization process of the club happens soon, there will be more money to buy big stars !
Last edited by Toxicarrow on Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Toxic and Kaiza,

I strongly believe 3Sc will go down if they are not careful.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Kaizer
Egg
Egg

Post by Kaizer »

Sir V,
Happy holidays....
We will be careful ...we are very good on the road and that will make the big difference ....
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Sir V wrote:Toxic and Kaiza,

You think so? Let's wait and see ! But in my humble opinion, Sooting has come to stay if the PDP government doesn't "stab" the club in the back with its yeye politics!
okuns
Egg
Egg

Post by okuns »

Toxic:
Sooo, AO is still the GM of Sooting! I thought he was about to be edged out... I guess his tactical budget has been upped from last year's.
Kaizer
Egg
Egg

Post by Kaizer »

17.25% of the budget to be exact .
That a whooping 250% increase........ :lol:
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Gotti wrote:
Kneedeep wrote:This changes everything. If Uwua fails to prove himself as a proffesional, he has nowhere to hide. No excuses about getting tapes of opposition or any other aides or equipment. He should be able to shoulder the costs of some neccesities in todays game.
KNEEDEEP:
Why should the coach use his PERSONAL wages to "shoulder the costs of some neccesities in todays game"? Do you use your own wages to shoulder the costs of some necessities at your place of work?! Again, folks here often seem to blur the dichotomy between the coaching staff and the administrative staff. There is no point in paying a coach N20m unless he is going to be provided with the tools that he requires to effectively do the job.
Gotti,
I believe in trickle down economics. I think coaching this days you need a 'degree' in economics and management. He knows he needs good administrators to succeed and he knows he has to pay for it.
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Prince wrote:
Gotti,
I believe in trickle down economics. I think coaching this days you need a 'degree' in economics and management. He knows he needs good administrators to succeed and he knows he has to pay for it.
PRINCE:
The CLUB needs to pay for it -- just like your employer pays for the secretary that you need to succeed.
okuns
Egg
Egg

Post by okuns »

Kaizer, this is so funny...
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

Sir V wrote:Toxic and Kaiza,

There is no way shooting will go down with Onigbinde in charge.
Have you forgotten how much they outline for Tactical every week?
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

Gotti wrote:
KNEEDEEP:
Gotti, in principle you are right, but this in Nigeria so it is implicit that things might not be structured perfectly. This is a chance for Uwua to prove what he can do and he should do as much as he can for himself.

In real life I have had unpaid internships, done unpaid overtime just to make sure that there are no feeble excuses to discriminate against me as I am sure many have also done. As much as many have a bias against an African doing a job they see as above the(ir own??) intellect of a fellow African, Mr Uwua is facing the same sort of prejudice from his own brethren.

It is also a reality many that who volunteer know in most cases you will go past what is required to make sure we are truly helping, paying for some kids lunches, buying them boots, whatever. In this case Uwua is volunteering for himself, if he and Mr Ikhana can prove themselves again next year, I forsee a new Nigerian export in the future.