Ogunjobi to meet Agali

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Eagle Winged
Ogunjobi to meet Agali

Post by Eagle Winged »

Ogunjobi to meet Agali

The Secretary-general of the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) Taiwo Ogunjobi is expected to meet with Schalke 04 striker Victor Agali this week in Lagos in respect of the player's availability for next month's African Nations Cup in Tunisia.

A top NFA official told www.kickoffnigeria.com that Ogunjobi will use this meeting to find out why the gangling striker has stayed away from the national team even after he was recalled to the team after the 2002 World Cup.

"Ogunjobi could not meet with Agali during his recent trip to Europe to talk things out with some of the Eagles players and so the need for him to meet with the player in Lagos," a top official informed www.kickoffnigeria.com.

Agali last played for Nigeria in the all-important World Cup qualifier against the Black Stars of Ghana in Port Harcourt in July, 2001.

He emerged as the country's leading scorer in the World Cup qualifying campaign with four goals but was not considered for selection to the World Cup finals in Asia.

The striker has since vowed not to play for the country.

Posted on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 15:03
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

What if he still meets with Agali and CCC does not pick him for the ANC...I think they are making this guy feel more important than the country..

Agali should be left alone..when he starts struggling to find a new club, he'll come begging..
Yettycom
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

mister dolly wrote:What if he still meets with Agali and CCC does not pick him for the ANC...I think they are making this guy feel more important than the country..

Agali should be left alone..when he starts struggling to find a new club, he'll come begging..
let them meet first then we'll know the next line of action. until then ............
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
mystic
I like the move

Post by mystic »

I don't think it makes him out to be too important. No matter what people say Agali is one of our top strikers anyway. More importantly I like the move by Ogunjobi to mend fences, irrespective of whether Agali decides to turn up or whether Chukwu eventually drops him.

I think it is very important for us to put all the bad blood of 2002 behind us and it is a shame that we are still being weighed down by all that rancour. The same olive branch should be extended to Sunday Oliseh.

Mind you, I didn't say call him up - just that the NFA should mend relations with Oliseh. Who knows, Oliseh may yet have a lot to offer Nigerian football in another capacity. At least, as the former captain and as a player with extensive experience he could be an invaluable resource for the Football House.
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

I am all for mending fences but then it must be a 2 way street..so far the NFA has been the ones doing all offering of Olive branches..not that I pity them, but Agali needs to come off his high horse..
mystic

Post by mystic »

Your quite right that it needs to be a two way street. However, my suspicion is that the wounds from 2002 run very deep. The NFA right now, should take the higher ground and be the party to initiate the fence mending. Mind you the focus should be on fence mending and not begging Agali to play. Also, I think it is important that we know where he stands. Ogunjobi meeting with him to find out personally is commendable - instead of relying on hearsay.

If I were Ogunjobi I would do the following:

1. I would tell Agali that he should let bygones be bygones, especially as several of the actors of 2002 are no longer a part of the setup.

2. I would remind Agali, that good or bad, he only has one country.

3. I would remind Agali that if he intends to return to the national team, he may never get a better opportunity because competition for the Super Eagles Striker positions grows stiffer by the day. Thus, if he fails to take this opportunity he may not get another one.

4. I would tell Agali that we would respect whatever decision he makes. If he wants to return - great. If he doesn't want to return so be it. We will wish him all the best and move on to other options.
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

Frankly, I am in with MD on this. This guy Agali is a high maintenance guy going back to BJ's days. We have several strikers who can get the job done. If he does not want to come, let him stay in Germany. I frankly do not feel the need to beg him -- for what purpose. Yes, he brings a unique dimension to our game but he sulks so much that he can endanger team chemistry.
mystic
[b]EII and MD[/b]

Post by mystic »

You guys may be right. However, I commend Ogunjobi for trying to meet with Agali personally to resolve this one way or the other - rather than relying on reports and hearsay. Ogunjobi can then assess Agali's suitabality or non suitablity (regarding his mind set) for himself.
mister dolly
Re: [b]EII and MD[/b]

Post by mister dolly »

mystic wrote:You guys may be right. However, I commend Ogunjobi for trying to meet with Agali personally to resolve this one way or the other - rather than relying on reports and hearsay. Ogunjobi can then assess Agali's suitabality or non suitablity (regarding his mind set) for himself.
mystic, bear in mind that Ogunjobi also attempted to meet with Agali when he was in Germany last week..obviously that was not successful hence this new attempt..
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

My take is that if Agali does decide to respond positively, he will expect an automatic shirt...after all this trouble to get him, I cannot see Chukwu dropping him even if he fails to measure up.

We have JAG, Martins, YAK, Utaka, Kanu (and maybe Ogbeche)...methinks that suffices...and if not, we can take one young and upcoming striker for experience.

I say let him be if he isn't interested...we have more pressing problems at the back and in goal.
Last edited by theYemster on Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mystic

Post by mystic »

MD:

I doubt that Ogunjobi would make another effort to meet Agali in Lagos if he didn't get some positive indication from Agali or his agent in terms of setting up a meeting.

Yemster:

Although we have a long list of strikers, the fact remains that we have only two proven quantities in Julius Aghahowa and Nwankwo Kanu. Aiyegbeni, Martins, Utaka, Ogbeche and Agali all have a lot to prove yet. With this in mind, it is best to let them all fight for shirts. This is why I would also have liked to see Peter Ijeh invited. Let all the guys who deserve a chance go and fight for a shirt.
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

testing
Patrick Ntsoelengo,Nelson Dladla,Petros Nzimande, Abednigo Ngcobo,Doctor Khumalo,Vusi Lamola,Gerald Dlamini,Simom Lehoko,Silvester Kole,Lucas Radebe,Jan Lichaba, Leonard Likoebe,Edson Mguyo, Arie Khongoane,Marks Maponyanye,Donald Khuse, Jabu Pule, Mark Tovey, Zebulon Nhlapo,Gabriel Tikkie Khoza,Moran Khulu,Michael Dlamini,Johannes Mofokeng, Wellinton Manyathi,Jingles Perreira....... to be continued....Amhakhosi Kaizer Chiefs!!!!!!!
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

TheYemster:

You can not be more correct from they way I hear it. I understand that he has already made that request when contacted previously by CCC. CCC's response was that he would not make such guarantees. Ofcourse, note that this is the report that I have received and I cannot claim that it is 100% accurate as I was not part of their discussion but I consider the source quite reliable.
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

Why stop with Agali? What about all the others who were maligned and disenfrachised? What about the FA's around the world we have pissed off with our disorganisation and inability to deliver on our promises?

What about the fans who were let down? Let's not forget the horrible ordeal the Falcons suffered at the hands of the FA during the World Cup?
Think about all these outstanding greviances in need of reaproachment and you will realize how fragmentary, minuscle and basely opportunistic this extending of the olive branch is.

The only way it is justifiable is if it is a start in repairing the bruised relations btw the FA and other FAs, players and fans (not particularly in that order). The thing that gets me with this scatter brain approach is the lack of depth of it. If it is all about Tunisia, ie the very short term, who is taking responsibility for the problem in the first place?

The FA must repair the damage that has been done to our football at least in the past year. That would give Ogunjobi and his principal officials some sober perspective on the mess they created. Otherwise this is all sewing a new patch into old wineskin and before you know it, it would come apart.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
leftee
Egg
Egg

Post by leftee »

At this rate, we're probably going to field a team of 11 strikers and attacking midfielders. Scoring 21 and conceeding 20 per game will be the winning formula for ANC. Nigeran fans have always loved the attacking game anyway.
"If You Need a Helping Hand, You'll Find One at the End of Your Arm"
realplayer
Egg
Egg
Good move.............

Post by realplayer »

For once, Ogunjobi is doing the right thing.

He was an important player in the whole 2002 Mali and WC problem and so should be in the best pesition to clean up the whole mess.

I like Agali for his principled stance on the issues that led to their draconian expulsion from the World Cup squad after toiling and sacrificing for Nigeria's qualification.

Since then his career and Oliseh's have blosoomed despite all the accrimony from the Sports ministry, NFA and misinformed Nigerian fans.

That is now history and we have to learn from past mistakes and move forward.

I have never advocated for automatic shirts but I believe in mending fences and having as much options as possible available. Oliseh is currently playing well and I feel if recalled could contribute a lot as long as hs case is properly handled.

Bad blood has never yielded good fruits and depite the fact that we are blessed with better alternatives like Aghahowa, Yakubu & Martins does not mean we should not resolve crucial misundertandings to the agrieved who we have offended.

We should win this cup this time around if we learn from the Mali mistakes and keep people like Pat Ekeji away from the team as well as the Sports ministry official no matter the performance of the team!
Lets keep allow CCC do the job as he best feels it should be done !
Talent can only blossom with hard work!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Good move.............

Post by theYemster »

realplayer wrote:For once, Ogunjobi is doing the right thing.

He was an important player in the whole 2002 Mali and WC problem and so should be in the best pesition to clean up the whole mess.

I like Agali for his principled stance on the issues that led to their draconian expulsion from the World Cup squad after toiling and sacrificing for Nigeria's qualification.
Because a player toiled for the WC qualification shouldn't mean he has an automatic shirt to the WC.
realplayer wrote: Since then his career and Oliseh's have blosoomed despite all the accrimony from the Sports ministry, NFA and misinformed Nigerian fans.
Maybe your idea of 'blossomed' is slightly different from mine but Oliseh seems to be the only person who has been performing creditably.
Last edited by theYemster on Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

RealPlayer:

The fact though is that Agali's sulking actually began in Mali and not after Mali. If you go way back to BJ's reign, Agali also refused to show up in camp several times reportedly because he felt he had not been getting a fair crack to make the team. That was until he played remarkably at the 2000 Olympics and perhaps was then assured of a great chance to make the squad which he did. Thus, his recent claim on principle following Mali 2002 has to be taken with a pinch of salt --- could it just be that he is concerned about not being a starter?
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

Whether Agali wants to play for Nigeria or not is not the issue here IMHO. I believe no player even Oga should be begged to play for the country. But I feel that we need to amend the relationship between players such as Agali, Oliseh and the rest of them that have issues with the NFA and if Ogunjobi wants to do this by having a talk with Agali then I support it 100%.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: I like the move

Post by Waffiman »

mystic wrote:I don't think it makes him out to be too important. No matter what people say Agali is one of our top strikers anyway. More importantly I like the move by Ogunjobi to mend fences, irrespective of whether Agali decides to turn up or whether Chukwu eventually drops him.

I think it is very important for us to put all the bad blood of 2002 behind us and it is a shame that we are still being weighed down by all that rancour. The same olive branch should be extended to Sunday Oliseh.

Mind you, I didn't say call him up - just that the NFA should mend relations with Oliseh. Who knows, Oliseh may yet have a lot to offer Nigerian football in another capacity. At least, as the former captain and as a player with extensive experience he could be an invaluable resource for the Football House.
Mystic, I fully concur. Oliseh and his brothers have a lot to offer Nigerian football.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
realplayer
Egg
Egg

Post by realplayer »

I never said because a player toiled for qualification he should have a reserved shirt in the team.

I have always said the best way to build a team is to make all positions competitive and we should always have alternatives in every position. The more options, the better.

I followed the whole Mali fracas and knew Agali was not happy at being substituted and benched in Mali as he complained that the midfielders did not play to his strength. I watched the game and saw sense in what the coaches did and felt Agali was being egoistic like most footballers are.

This is not the issue here but the deliberate exclusion of players from the World cup due to the interference of Pat Ekeji and the late minister. Oliseh was mandated as the captain to address very serious issues and grieviances facing the team and these guys in authority decided to take their pound of flesh at the detrement of our World cup chances.

This has led to players refusing to play in future Eagles engagements. I feel resolving this once and for all is a good idea and has nothing to do with automatically injecting these players into the team.

If CCC does not want Agali or any of the aggrieved, they should not be invited and if he wants them and they do not measure up to his standard, then he should drop them without fear or favour!

We have to be mature in our management of crises that arise and not burn the whole house down because a snake was reported to be seen inside.

If we learn from the Mali fiasco and change our ways of dealing with issues, we will do well in future!
Talent can only blossom with hard work!
Football Manager
Egg
Egg

Post by Football Manager »

It bits me hollow why people are against the move by the Sec Gen! Let me be quick to add that we already have four strikers namely JAG, Aiyegbeni, Agali and Kanu. They must NOW pick one more striker from among Bartho, Martins, Utaka and anybody that may gatecrash at the last minute.

Enugu II, do you know what the 'boy' who is not yet tested with the senior squad but playing for seria A requested before he agrees in principle to honour the ANC?

I would like to state categorically that if the Sec Gen actually had discussions with some Nigerian players then he (the Sec. Gen.) owns it a duty to have discussion with Agali no matter whose ox is gored.
mystic

Post by mystic »

realplayer wrote:I never said because a player toiled for qualification he should have a reserved shirt in the team.

I have always said the best way to build a team is to make all positions competitive and we should always have alternatives in every position. The more options, the better.

I followed the whole Mali fracas and knew Agali was not happy at being substituted and benched in Mali as he complained that the midfielders did not play to his strength. I watched the game and saw sense in what the coaches did and felt Agali was being egoistic like most footballers are.

This is not the issue here but the deliberate exclusion of players from the World cup due to the interference of Pat Ekeji and the late minister. Oliseh was mandated as the captain to address very serious issues and grieviances facing the team and these guys in authority decided to take their pound of flesh at the detrement of our World cup chances.

This has led to players refusing to play in future Eagles engagements. I feel resolving this once and for all is a good idea and has nothing to do with automatically injecting these players into the team.

If CCC does not want Agali or any of the aggrieved, they should not be invited and if he wants them and they do not measure up to his standard, then he should drop them without fear or favour!

We have to be mature in our management of crises that arise and not burn the whole house down because a snake was reported to be seen inside.

If we learn from the Mali fiasco and change our ways of dealing with issues, we will do well in future!

I couldn't have said it better!