Interesting: Tunisians clamour 4 S-Eagles ahead of ANC'004

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

VINDAVE
Interesting: Tunisians clamour 4 S-Eagles ahead of ANC'004

Post by VINDAVE »

Countdown to Tunisia 2004 African Nations Cup
Tunisians clamour for Super Eagles

By George Ude

who was in Tunisia - Guardians sports today.

ALTHOUGH, the Indomitable Lions of Cameroun might have won the last two editions of the African Cup of Nations staged in Ghana-Nigeria and Mali respectively, they are yet to win the respect of Tunisians, next year's hosts.

In Tunisia, many soccer followers in the country still hold the Super Eagles of Nigeria in high esteem and they never hid their sentiments when they spoke to The Guardian in both Sousse and Tunis.

One fact remains" the Super Eagles will walk into the warm embrace of the Tunisians on January 19, 2004 when they might have concluded their training programme in Faro, Portugal where they are currently camped. But the Tunisians, however, have their reservations over the inconsistency and unpredictability of the Nigerian senior national soccer team.

When the Eagles arrive in Tunisia, they will be on a familiar terrain, given their exploits in 1994 when they won the trophy in Tunisia. The memories still remain fresh among millions of Tunisian football lovers.

Part of Tunisian sentiment for the Nigerian team is not unconnected with former Super Eagles attacking strong man, Daniel 'The Bull' Amokachi. Unfortunately, it is certain that Eagles will be in Monastir, Tunisia without Amokachi in the line-up, although he might be there as a spectator or guest.

Little wonder, when Julius Berger F.C. of Lagos were in Tunisia for the final leg of African Cup Winners Cup, from Tunis to Sousse where Berger played Etoile Sportive du Sahel, the question on the lip of Tunisian soccer buffs was, "where is Amokachi?" He is unarguably the most popular Nigerian in that part of the continent. Amokachi married there and nobody should envy the Nigerian in-laws or wonder where they will put their support when the game commences.

However, some Tunisians in Sousse have expressed fears and disappointments over the Super Eagles' inconsistency. Mr. Zine Harbaovi, a former Tunisian junior international and now a professional artist, confessed that his countrymen are always behind the Super Eagles. "It is our sincere wish and hope that Nigeria will be the first country to win the World Cup for Africa and take this shame away from us, but the attitude of the players must change," Zine warned.

Zine claimed that Nigeria parades the best individual players exported to Europe from Africa, but regretted that these players always commit themselves more to their respective clubsides abroad and sacrifice less to their nation.
--CHE MARTINS DEH HEAR THIS.

According to Zine, "Nigerian footballers play their hearts out at their Europeans clubs and develop cold feat when it comes to playing for their country. I use to watch them on Eurosports, Super Sports and what they put in, in their clubs. If they put half of the effort in Nigerian team, the Super Eagles will win the World Cup," Zine said.

Chadia Chaabane, a female admirer of the Super Eagles in Sousse, was more concerned on how Africa can win the FIFA World Cup. Chadia advocated for Super Eagles' head and brains with Indomitable Lions' body and courage that will win Africa the World Cup. "We have the brains, skills in Nigeria, but the determination and courage to fight and conquer remains with the Camerounians," Chadia summed up.

Rabah Omri, another Sousse-based Eagles supporter blamed the inconsistency of the Super Eagles on the Nigerian football administrators, citing inadequate motivation as cause of non-commitment of the players. The players need to be encouraged. When they compare what they gain at their European clubs with what they receive at the national team, it does not motivate them to push hard and that has been affecting the fortunes of Nigerian football and Africa at large. Kindly help me pass this message to Nigeria, I want to let Nigerian players and officials realise that they are not only representing their country alone, they are representing the whole of Africa, all of us in Tunisia believe that you are our African brothers that will win this World Cup for us. So each time you lose at World Cup, we feel very bad over here and if you win, we celebrate with you," Omri submitted.

These admirers of Super Eagles in both Tunis and Sousse promised to storm Monastir for Eagles, which is about 160 and 20 kilometres respectively.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Vindave,

I was just reading this myself and wanted to post it also.. The highlighted part of the article refers to everyone and not just Martins... We go see how things turn out. Can't wait for the ANC to start...
Soldier of Fortune...
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

MI5 wrote:Vindave,

I was just reading this myself and wanted to post it also.. The highlighted part of the article refers to everyone and not just Martins... We go see how things turn out. Can't wait for the ANC to start...
M15, I know the highlighted part refers not to only Martins but to all the players... I just deh shout for the boy ear to listen to the outsider comments... cus his name immediately came to mind when I read that portion of the news.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Vindave,

Make we no worry Martins go bi in Tunisia... una from me una hear am from me first :wink: ...

VINDAVE wrote:
MI5 wrote:Vindave,

M15, I know the highlighted part refers not to only Martins but to all the players... I just deh shout for the boy ear to listen to the outsider comments... cus his name immediately came to mind when I read that portion of the news.
Last edited by MI5 on Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
Egunje
Egg
Egg

Post by Egunje »

You dey dream...the boy is history.
Janganza
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Janganza »

Egunje wrote:You dey dream...the boy is history.
Martins did not handle the whole affair like a professional. I believe the playes themselves will not be happy with him. This is somebody who has not proven himself in the squad picking his own terms. What will happen if he proves himself?
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Janganza wrote:
Martins did not handle the whole affair like a professional. I believe the playes themselves will not be happy with him. This is somebody who has not proven himself in the squad picking his own terms. What will happen if he proves himself?
Going by what we already know of Eagles, before the arrival of Martins after this ANC that is if he fails to show up now, the MAFIAs would have aligned, and solid bridge would have been built against him.
ik15
Egg
Egg

Post by ik15 »

VINDAVE wrote:
Janganza wrote:
Going by what we already know of Eagles, before the arrival of Martins after this ANC that is if he fails to show up now, the MAFIAs would have aligned, and solid bridge would have been built against him.
Janganza,
Did you attend national Grammar School Nike?. I'm just curious.
mlkama
Egg
Egg

Post by mlkama »

We always excel in hostile territory. So this is a good sign for us. We will be there to defend our title and woe betide any team that wants to get the title from us.
Waffiman wrote: PS: Milla couldn't hold a candle to Manga Onguene or Theophile "Docteur" Abega .
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

I don't care what the Tunisians say. They are just flattering to decieve, simple.
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke