AFTER WATCHING THE GAME AGAIN THAT PK WAS WRONG !!!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

SUYA
AFTER WATCHING THE GAME AGAIN THAT PK WAS WRONG !!!!

Post by SUYA »

And it seems some agree.

Big games notoriously hinge on small things - the length of a stud, the timing of a substitution, the weight of a pass.

Nowhere was this better illustrated than in Monastir yesterday, when a moment of carelessness from Emille Baron in the South African goal allowed Nigeria's Joseph Yobo a volley and Nigeria a priceless early strike after their first corner of the match.

Given that Baron's mistake set the tone of the match, it is worth considering exactly what happened. Impeded by a glut of Nigerian attackers as he leapt to catch the corner, he seemed strangely reluctant to make the ball his own. Perhaps he was hoping that the referee would blow in his favour, reasoning that the rules tend to favour 'keepers in such situations.

As it was, Ali Bujsaim, the referee from the United Arab Emirates, saw matters differently. It was an interpretation that was to cost Styles Phumo's team dear as Baron flapped hopelessly at the cross. Relatively free behind the players in front of him, Yobo was sure-footed in his strike.

Try as they might, it was a goal Bafana Bafana couldn't match. They chased shadows for much of the first half, defending staunchly (without always being convincing) and giving the ball away far, far too often. Their wide players were called on to do too much defending and with Jay-Jay Okocha conducting the Nigerian orchestra from the middle of the park it looked as if South Africa would leak more goals before the half was out.

John Utaka had both a glancing header and a dizzying run at goal and, later in the half, Nwankwo was ready to shoot past Baron when the South African defence managed to scramble the ball clear.

But as the half progressed, Delron Buckley and Sibusiso Zuma found a little more space to work and Thabang Molefe, limited but wholehearted at right back, began to find a degree of rhythm. Siyabonga Nomvete, despite appearing to briefly lose consciousness as the result of being knocked on the back of the head, had two snap shots from wide and it looked as if the soccer Gods if not smiling in South Africa's favour were at least beginning to bathe them in a half-hearted grin.

The feeling that Bafana Bafana were beginning to claw their way back into the match was enhanced at the beginning of the second half. Nigeria appeared to drop back into a far more conservative defensive formation; the midfield was less contested and thus less cluttered and South Africa's passes, for once, began to reach their intended target.

The impression, however, was a false one. Twenty minutes into the half and Bujsaim bizarrely awarded the Nigerians a penalty, this after Aaron Mokoena, who was clearly pushed, fell in the penalty area and in so doing appeared to touch the ball.

Okocha cooly sent Baron the wrong way as Bafana's counter-offensive went in a similar direction.

It was to get worse with the introduction of the Nigerian substitute, Osaze Odemwingie, who blasted two sublime goals past Baron late in the half.

The records will tell us that Bafana lost on the field of play but the historians will remind us that this match was lost in the boardroom weeks ago.

Is it not time to fall on your sword Mr Albert Mokoena?
Last edited by SUYA on Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
SUYA

Post by SUYA »

IMHO I dont think the PK was right.

I mean if it was a 4 year old late make up call for the blown Ikpeba PK in Eko than Id rather have it in the semi or finals. :evil:

In as much as the guy touched the ball he was pushed and fell down untop of the ball ! What does the rule say here ? :?:
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

SUYA wrote:IMHO I dont think the PK was right.

I mean if it was a 4 year old late make up call for the blown Ikpeba PK in Eko than Id rather have it in the semi or finals. :evil:

In as much as the guy touched the ball he was pushed and fell down untop of the ball ! What does the rule say here ? :?:
Suya I beg to differ. Regardless of the situation you don't pick up the ball when the ref hasn't blown his whistle to indicate a foul. The ref did not blow a foul and the player picked up the ball. What do you expect the ref to do? Besides this is not the first time something like this will happen in a game involving Nigeria. In Atlanta 96 in a group game against Japan, the exact same thing happened. The ref had to award a penalty. Ironically Okocha was the one who took and converted the penalty for Nigeria then.

Oh btw the South African player wasn't pushed. Go and watch the reply. He tripped over himself.
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

well a little Refree luck never hurts and we got that today..ANC 2000 it worked against us....now it is on our side so lets enjoy...
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie
SUYA

Post by SUYA »

Robby did he pick the ball up?
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

SUYA wrote:Robby did he pick the ball up?
He dragged the ball on the ground to himself after he fell down thinking the ref would blow for a foul. Unfortunately for him the call for a foul didn't come.
somebody
Egg
Egg

Post by somebody »

That dude was not pushed, I watched that thing over and over again
Why do we struggle to live when we are still going to die anyway?
Ijapa
Egg
Egg

Post by Ijapa »

I recorded the match and watched it numerous time and I can confidently tell u that Kanu did not touch that guy.
You future depends on your dreams: so go to sleep
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

hey guys, why r u trying to take something a way from this victory?
It was well deserved IMO, PK or not.
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

replays showed that guy trip himself kanu did not nudge him.
A clear pen for handling the ball.
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
mystic

Post by mystic »

Suya:

That was indeed a penalty. It was a flukish play and unfortunate for South Africa but it was a penalty. Moreover Kanu didn't push him. At best it was incidental contact that the referee adjudged to be a no call. But the South African player compounded the situation by handling the ball.
Mbape
Egg
Egg

Post by Mbape »

Suya:

Hats off to you. That's an objective take. I don't think the result was ever in doubt, but that was a harsh penalty. The 4-0 score flatters Nigeria a bit in my opinion.

But bottomline is Naija sent a ringing message, and all future opponents better beware.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

That penalty was a 50-50 call; it was neither deserved nor underserved; either call would be justified;

Kanu didn't trip the defender, he tripped all by himself, fell on and grabbed the ball.

Some refs would call it while some wouldn't;

However, the foul by Yobo later on was a penalty and should've been called but that's the human factor of the game;

Mbape, the scoreline didn't flatter Nigeria; SA hardly threatened; Nigeria even missed about 4 clearer chances than the ones converted; Kanu missed one, Utaka missed two and PIKE mised one; maybe SA should have grabbed a goal or two but then again Nigeria should also have scored a 2 or 3 goals more and the goal diff would've still ended up being the same;
Last edited by theYemster on Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

Mbape wrote:Suya:

Hats off to you. That's an objective take. I don't think the result was ever in doubt, but that was a harsh penalty. The 4-0 score flatters Nigeria a bit in my opinion.

But bottomline is Naija sent a ringing message, and all future opponents better beware.
Oh and the 5 goals you guys scored against Zimbabwe didn't? Men please. Give credit to credit is due and move on. Jeez!
Ghost
Egg
Egg

Post by Ghost »

My interpretation is that they were justling and the RSA defender fell on himself.
That being said, most referees may have given the defender the benefit of the doubt.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

That was absolutely NOT a penalty. The only penalty that was commited today was when Yobo (I believe) hacked a South African player in our 18 yard box, which the referee ignored. Having said that, I thought the referee did an excellent job in controlling the game.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Mbape wrote: The 4-0 score flatters Nigeria a bit in my opinion.
damn haters.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

Yes, Cameroun should be afraid. They should be very afraid. 8)
Mbape
Egg
Egg

Post by Mbape »

Robbynice wrote:

Oh and the 5 goals you guys scored against Zimbabwe didn't? Men please. Give credit to credit is due and move on. Jeez!
I just did, but apparently you cant read. I was commenting on this game, not Cam-Zim.
realtrouble

Post by realtrouble »

The impression, however, was a false one. Twenty minutes into the half and Bujsaim bizarrely awarded the Nigerians a penalty, this after Aaron Mokoena, who was clearly pushed, fell in the penalty area and in so doing appeared to touch the ball.
I Just watched the BBC 2 highlights and the players tripped by himself. Kanu didn't even touch him
Mbape
Egg
Egg

Post by Mbape »

shaq wrote:

Yes, Cameroun should be afraid. They should be very afraid. 8)
We respect Nigeria. We study Nigeria, and we prepare a strategy for Nigeria. But we don't fear Nigeria. Banish the thought, for your own sanity, because no amount of noise to the contrary will change anything...

Anyway, I did not intend for my comments to be turned into another tiresome Nigeria/Cameroon war of words. I suppose I should have expected it though.
SUYA

Post by SUYA »

Men this is ANC....the gusy did not handle the ball intentionally........................thats the bottom line.
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

SUYA wrote:Men this is ANC....the gusy did not handle the ball intentionally........................thats the bottom line.
H held on to the bal when the ref had not stopped play... there was only one logical way to resume play ..with a penalty kick