Nigeria: Not yet uhuru

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria: Not yet uhuru

Post by txj »

Its hard to look back at the game with RSA and not feel a certain bit of uncertainty about the SE. But I'll take the result anyday, thank you sir!
However, I think our game had all the weaknesses that showed up against Morocco, especially in the lack of balance and thus the presence of large swaths of undefended zones in midfield. And if you take away the goals (largely from moments of individual brilliance rather than constructive open play), our team performance was again weak and predictable in attack, depending on the dribble to break down a weak SA defence, rather than team work or any intricate passing and movement. For the second straight game, we were again unable to design play to bring our top striker into the game. For the second straight game, the weaknesses in our central midfield forced JJ, our main creative outlet, to play from deep, thus taking away his attacking threat. For the second straight game, we were unable to defend effectively in midfield and appeared tentative in defence.
IMO, Nigeria won the game on the strength of her superior talent and the inability of a poor SA team to punish Nigeria for the structural weaknesses in midfield, like the Moroccans did.
Yes, the players did show greater hussle, often times exemplified by Kanu's tireless running. Yes we won, thank you sir! But the worrisome signs remain.
On the basis of two games, this Nigerian team is ALL about the players. And from all the games and teams I have seen so far, the quality of SE coaching and tactical input is at the level of Benin Republic...
King of the Abyss
Egg
Egg

Post by King of the Abyss »

Txj

Thank you for being a voice of reason, but truth be told, it has been such a long time that the SE played like a team, and the last time they played like a TRULY GREAT TEAM was way back in the days of Westerhof. The continued incoherent appointments and removal of coaches has not helped any, but then with the likes of CCC currently in charge, it doesn't give one much hope that things will change soon.

That being said, I think the skeleton of a possibly outstanding side is being created currently, although I don't think it would have developed enough, even barring any of the occasional upheavals that we have become used to, to be a major threat at the next world cup.
"The youth of a nation must, out of relative obscurity, discover it's mission, fulfill it, or betray it." - Frantz Fanon
Akamoke

Post by Akamoke »

Txj

I agree as well, we had problems defending set pieces and I honestly dont see us goign past 1/4 finals with the play I saw today. I congratulate the boys and the dtaff for grinding the results but they will need a lot more to get past quarter finals...awwuming we beat Benin on Wednesday

We have not arrived just yet, getting there

I also agree that the team needs more friendlies where players play together for longer, it shows in our play that some of the players dont know each other and we dont seem to get into spaces well, we get closed down easily
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

As long as Nigeria can beat Benin,they need not worry.Their goal diff is +3 while for SA it is -2...but the ball is round,so miracles might happen that rob Nigeria of their place in the QF. :?
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

If you win na war and if you lose na wahala. txj my brother can you explain what you mean by "And if you take away the goals (largely from moments of individual brilliance rather than constructive open play)" I don't know about you but all our goals with the exception of the 2nd goal were scored from constructive open play. The first was from a corner kick. The third was from a play that was built up from the middle, which ultimately led to Okocha giving a perfect pass to Osaze. The fourth goal (Osaze's 2nd) was also a build up from the midfield with Utaka making a right on the right flank and it ultimately ended with a pass to Osaze, which resulted to another goal by the youngster.

With that said, I do see where you are coming from. Nigeria just like the other 15 countries in the tournament needs to improve on their play and as time goes by in the tournament I am certain our play will improve. Meanwhile I will enjoy this game and I will implore you to do the same.
mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mmeny »

this was not too good of a game and not too bad of a game as well.. yeah we still dont really have a game plan... that makes it difficult for okocha to give opponents some offensive problems... but wit time thatz if we beat benin... i see a better side wit a better strategy and formation .,
Just because cat sabi swim no mean say him be catfish - M.I
ola34
Egg
Egg

Post by ola34 »

I think the Benin game should be used to perfect chemistry between Utaka and Aghahowa. It is vital that we begin to create that Chemistry. Kanu, Utaka and Ekwueme should put the ball on the feet of Aga as much as possible. Osaze should come in as a sub to partner with Utaka. He should take direct aims at goal and should spread timely pases to Agha.
1. Always a fan of good football

2. ".........there really should be some folks that any decent person should not be associated with -- even if desperation makes strange bedfellows." - Gotti
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

which ultimately led to Okocha giving a perfect pass to Osaze. The fourth goal (Osaze's 2nd) was also a build up from the midfield with Utaka making a right on the right flank and it ultimately ended with a pass to Osaze, which resulted to another goal by the youngster.

Okocha's perfect pass had no impact on the goal..Okocha's pass didnt leave osaze open or anytihng like that..the boy got the pass and had to create the space for himseelf, he was still being marked..same thing with the sxecond goal..Utaka's run did not leave the boy open...In both situations he created from a half chance...thats why it was more of individual brillance than team work ...
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie
ola34
Egg
Egg

Post by ola34 »

We need to clean up the defence a bit by telling the players to contest for aerial balls . We need to clean up the mid-field by contesting aerially for balls. This will help us a lot. Most of our players only focus on the ground. But a very tactical opponent they may capitalize on our waekness with aerial balls. Kanu, Okocha, and the rest ofthe team must start jumping in midfield to reduce disruption in flow of play. Only Seyi Olofinjana is doing that now. Also in attack, we have to contest aerially for the ball and get our head to every ball. This is our biggest weakness.
1. Always a fan of good football

2. ".........there really should be some folks that any decent person should not be associated with -- even if desperation makes strange bedfellows." - Gotti
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Blakes wrote:Okocha's perfect pass had no impact on the goal..Okocha's pass didnt leave osaze open or anytihng like that..the boy got the pass and had to create the space for himseelf, he was still being marked..same thing with the sxecond goal..Utaka's run did not leave the boy open...In both situations he created from a half chance...thats why it was more of individual brillance than team work ...
BLAKES:
And how is that any different from Youssef Hadj (who had to create space for himself to score the goal) against Nigeria?! Yet the same folks herein were blathering on about the organization and tactics of the Morroccans.

TXJ:
It is quite obvious that we were watching two different games. Neverthless, can you please point out just one team that has put up a perfect (or even near-perfect) performance at this ANC finals.

The fact is that Nigeria's performance in its SECOND game was considerably better that its performance in the FIRST game -- and we expect that its performance in the THIRD will be even better.

Clemons Westerhoff's 1994 championship-winning side did not start playing its best football until the second-half of the QFs against Zaire, and Otto Gloria's 1980 side did not play its best football until the semi-finals against Morrocco.

On the evdence of two games, the current team's performances are headed in the RIGHT direction. Let's not NITPICK it to death for polemic purposes.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

hmmm
omonoba
Egg
Egg

Post by omonoba »

Blakes wrote:
which ultimately led to Okocha giving a perfect pass to Osaze. The fourth goal (Osaze's 2nd) was also a build up from the midfield with Utaka making a right on the right flank and it ultimately ended with a pass to Osaze, which resulted to another goal by the youngster.

Okocha's perfect pass had no impact on the goal..Okocha's pass didnt leave osaze open or anytihng like that..the boy got the pass and had to create the space for himseelf, he was still being marked..same thing with the sxecond goal..Utaka's run did not leave the boy open...In both situations he created from a half chance...thats why it was more of individual brillance than team work ...
I beg to disagree blakes. Watch that 3rd goal again. Aghahowa recieved the ball from midfield; immediately 2 SA defenders converged on him ; he had the awareness to pass back to okocha behind him to take advantage of the space opened up on the far side. when osaze recieved the good pass from okocha, he had a swath of space to run straight at the goalkeeper. The leftmost SA defender reacted quickly to this and zoomed in towards osaze, but because of the 2 sa defenders who'd gravitated towards JAG a second earlier, it was a simple matter for osaze to step left into the empty space created and take his shot.
Now if that isn't creative play based on awareness, i don't know what is.
Like i said in an earlier response to YUjam, this team didn't play at the top of it's game but managed to obtain a very good result. We can only go forward from here.
1 more simple adjustment and we will be even more balanced.Switch JAG to right midfield and let Uttaka Play upfront from the start. JAG is a harder worker and will bring more defensive stability to the right side. He will also be a nightmare running on or off the ball diagonally into the box from this position. He's also a decent crosser
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

I'm going to go with gotti on this one.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Gotti just clarified the position perfectly. We are an insatiable bunch we Nigerians.
To stop trying is to start dying
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

GOTTI
Its really been hard for me to keep up with your constantly unravelling position on CCC, but suffice it to say that yes, there is no such thing as a perfect team, and that is saying the obvious. And yes, this was a better performance than the first match, thanks in part to the quality of play of the opposition vis a vis Morocco's, and yes, the third game will be better than the second, again thanks to the opposition.... but my point remains that the fundamental weaknesses of the team remain, incidentally much as they were against Brazil, more than four months and four matches ago... we are only being let off the hook right now by poor play from the opposition. How far playing like this takes us will be determined in the next few days.
As I often say, every team must understand its victories in other to repeat them, and her losses in order to avoid them.
To remotely suggest that the SE was consistently showing weaknesses in its fundamentals at this stage of the ANC, betrays a weak knowldge of the game.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

In competitive sports you should never be satisfied; happy with your performance- yes, satisfied- no..

Shownoja wrote:Gotti just clarified the position perfectly. We are an insatiable bunch we Nigerians.
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

TXJ:
There is NO inconsistencies in my position. I thought that the tactics were piss-poor against Morrocco and that opinion remains unaltered.

Nevertheless, I also think that there was a tactical improvement in the game against South Africa (including redressing the imbalance on the Eagles' left-side, moving Kanu upfront and relieving Okocha from many onerous defensive chores, among others), and I expect more tactical changes and a more cohesive team performance against Benin.

Unlike you, however, I choose not to SPECULATIVELY dwell on the contribution of the opposition to any improvement -- since a team can only play against the opposition laid out in front of it.
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

txj wrote:To remotely suggest that the SE was consistently showing weaknesses in its fundamentals at this stage of the ANC, betrays a weak knowldge of the game.
TXJ:
I would counsel that you pick up tapes of the 1994 ANC and refresh your memory that all three goals conceded by Nigeria as LATE as the semi-final and final of the 1994 ANC were virtually IDENTICAL -- caused by a "consistent weakness in its fundamentals" in defending against corners (and spot-kicks generally).

I realize that with the passage of time, memories tend to become hazy and often nolstalgic, but those tapes may also be be helpful to refresh your memory as to how the Eagles' midfield was OVERRUN by the Ivorians in the 1994 ANC semi-final and by the Zambians in the second-half of the 1994 ANC final.
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

Ugbowo wrote:I'm going to go with gotti on this one.
Me too. However, TXJ does make a good point in pointing out there is much more room for improvement.

I had said at the start of this tournament that the first two games will represent the friendlies that should have been played with the entire team in place. The fact that we are in a position to move on to the next round with a win over Benin is good news. The final part of our preparation for an assault on the final is the game against Benin. If we win that game convincingly, as we should, it puts our boys in a very good frame of mind and their confidence will be sky high. If we have a let down by a not so convincing win or even a draw and just barley qualify for the second round, it will not be good psychologically for the players because now even they may start having doubts about the ability of this team to progress in the tournament.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

GOTTI
Actually it is not speculation. I do not speak about 'the contribution of the opposition to our improved play', but rather the inability of a weak opposition to punish us for undefended zones we leave in midfield, like Brazil did and to a lesser extent Morocco. In every football game, win or lose, a team leaves its footprints, including weaknesses on the field, both the tactical and technical. The vulnerabilities we showed against Brazil are still evident today. That they are not being punished reflects more on the inabilities of the opposition than the abilities of our team...

Gotti wrote:TXJ:
There is NO inconsistencies in my position. I thought that the tactics were piss-poor against Morrocco and that opinion remains unaltered.

Nevertheless, I also think that there was a tactical improvement in the game against South Africa (including redressing the imbalance on the Eagles' left-side, moving Kanu upfront and relieving Okocha from many onerous defensive chores, among others), and I expect more tactical changes and a more cohesive team performance against Benin.

Unlike you, however, I choose not to SPECULATIVELY dwell on the contribution of the opposition to any improvement -- since a team can only play against the opposition laid out in front of it.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

On three ocassions in the semi and final games we were caught flat in defending. That is by no means a question on the fundamentals of our tactical game as we are currently displaying. Up until those games, no one had scored against Nigeria. I totally disagree with your characterisation. In the semis, I disagree we were overrun in midfield by CIV. On the contrary we overran them and wayward finishing by Yekini denied Nigeria what could've been a blow out win. And in the final, I have always maintained that Nigeria took her foot off the pedal and played with safety first after taking the lead.
Like any team, CW's super eagles did have its weakness. I can only say how much I wish we were playing at the level that showed only those weaknesses.

Gotti wrote:
txj wrote:To remotely suggest that the SE was consistently showing weaknesses in its fundamentals at this stage of the ANC, betrays a weak knowldge of the game.
TXJ:
I would counsel that you pick up tapes of the 1994 ANC and refresh your memory that all three goals conceded by Nigeria as LATE as the semi-final and final of the 1994 ANC were virtually IDENTICAL -- caused by a "consistent weakness in its fundamentals" in defending against corners (and spot-kicks generally).

I realize that with the passage of time, memories tend to become hazy and often nolstalgic, but those tapes may also be be helpful to refresh your memory as to how the Eagles' midfield was OVERRUN by the Ivorians in the 1994 ANC semi-final and by the Zambians in the second-half of the 1994 ANC final.
Pemba
Egg
Egg

Post by Pemba »

TXJ you are perfectly right. Superior talent won this game not constructive play. Aside from the defence (which works as a unit thanks to Amodu) we have yet to see any of Chukwu's tactical ability in the midfield and attack. Without the individual brilliance, Nigeria had no concerted system of attacking play. Okocha was one extra midfielder when he could be a superb playmaker. Aghahowa who should have been playing striker played often in the midfield.

The only thing I will compare between this team and the 1994 team is that both are very attack-minded with players often confusing their opponents with an interchange of roles. In 1994, Amokachi would often drift into the midfield and Amunike would suddenly pop forward as a striker.

But this team was the first time in a long time Nigeria actually looked deadly in the attack. Kanu, Utaka, Aghahowa, Okocha showed what they could do to any defence if they give it their all. They did not dance with the ball but actually played like a team that wanted to win.

There is still a fundamental lack of chemistry with the players but I hope it gets better the more they adjust to a philosophy of attacking and not just playing around with the ball.
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

txj wrote:On three ocassions in the semi and final games we were caught flat in defending. That is by no means a question on the fundamentals of our tactical game as we are currently displaying. Up until those games, no one had scored against Nigeria. I totally disagree with your characterisation.
TXJ:
If THREE FREE HEADERS right in front of the GK on three corner-kicks is not a sign of "consistent weakness in fundamentals," then your definition of 'consistent' 'weakness' and 'fundamentals' certainly differs from the plain English (and/or dictionary) language definition of those terms.

In the semis, I disagree we were overrun in midfield by CIV. On the contrary we overran them and wayward finishing by Yekini denied Nigeria what could've been a blow out win. And in the final, I have always maintained that Nigeria took her foot off the pedal and played with safety first after taking the lead.
I cannot have a rational discourse with you on the foregoing until you actually re-watch those matches. Nigeria may have created more pure goal scoring chances than the Ivoirians (who created quite a few themselves and were hurt by injuries to their two top forwards, Tiehl and Troare), but the Ivoirians DOMINATED the middle of the park. In fact, for large swarthes of the game, they simply overran the Nigerian midfield with their slick passing and movement, and that showed in the final possession stats. Nigeria edged them out them with speed and precision, but it was a game that could easily have gone either way.

Like any team, CW's super eagles did have its weakness.
If it still did so in 1994 -- FIVE YEARS after the appointment of Westerhoff -- why are you nitpicking the current team to death?!