TWO-GOAL KING ODEMWENGIE LEADS NIGERIA'S NEW YOUNG GUNS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Taka
Egg
Egg
TWO-GOAL KING ODEMWENGIE LEADS NIGERIA'S NEW YOUNG GUNS

Post by Taka »

February 1, 2004

MONASTIR, Tunisia (AFP) - Nigeria's Osaze Odemwengie who scored twice in the 4-0 demolition of South Africa in Saturday's African Nations Cup Group D tie, has predicted a bright future for Nigerian football even when top stars like 'Jay Jay' Okocha and Nwankwo Kanu are no longer on the scene.

The 22-year-old midfielder came off the subs' bench on Saturday to grab a memorable brace as Nigeria kept alive their hopes in the tournament.

"Nigeria have a lot of fresh, young talent coming through," said the youngster, who moved to Belgian side La Louviere last year.

"And in time several of these young players will begin to show themselves on the big stage," he said Sunday.

Odemwengie is leading a new generation of young players who will in the near future take over from the likes of Okocha and Kanu as the country's standard bearers.

Inter Milan striker Obafemi Martins, who turned down a chance to be part of the Tunisia 2004 campaign; Kalu Uche from Wisla Krakow, Norway-based Seyi Olofinjana, John Utaka of RC Lens as well as goalkeepers Vincent Enyeama, Greg Etafia and Austin Ejide are all poised for international glory.

And Nigeria's latest new kid on the block has said he has been fully supported to succeed at senior international level.

"Both the coaches and the players have encouraged me as a young player. And this gave me the confidence to play against South Africa and now the whole team, the whole family, is happy," said Osaze.

"Against South Africa, we proved that football is a team game and that attitude is most important. And now with the right attitude, the whole team coming out as one, we can go very far in this competition."

Odemwengie, whose mother is Russian, has already shown confidence far beyond his years when he stepped up to coolly net a late penalty goal and draw Nigeria level with Angola in a decisive qualifying match in Benin last year.

Had Nigeria lost the game, Angola would have advanced to Tunisia 2004 ahead of the Eagles.

"I had to take responsibility in that game and luckily for me everything worked out well," said the player fondly called 'Osas'.

One of the senior players in the Eagles, Garba Lawal, who was first capped seven years ago, has tipped the former Insurance of Benin ace for bigger things soon.

"He has been pulling his weight in the team. He still has a long way to go but if he can remain focussed, he will really go very far," praised Lawal.

Odemwengie, who is also an Olympic international, has said he is enjoying his experience in Tunisia but refused to be rushed into making any predictions as to how far Nigeria can go at this tournament.

"You have to count three before you count four. So, it will be a game at a time for us here," insisted the player, whose biggest fans are his parents.

Nigeria's Osaze Odemwengie who scored twice in the 4-0 demolition of South Africa in Saturday's African Nations Cup Group D tie, has predicted a bright future for Nigerian football even when top stars like 'Jay Jay' Okocha and Nwankwo Kanu are no longer on the scene.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

HEre HERE son, now go out there and do us proud
leftee
Egg
Egg

Post by leftee »

Was just so happy to seehim come through for us. Brought tears to my eyes.
"If You Need a Helping Hand, You'll Find One at the End of Your Arm"