FIFA RULING ON CAMEROON UNIFORMS - Unconstitutional

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

The Cameroon uniforms were just fine. If they want to be creative more power to them.

I'd rather FIFA spend their time focusing on more important things: eg the awful refs in the game, the many divers and cheats, llinesmen who don't understant the rule stating "even is on".

Besides isn't this the same FIFA and Sepp Blatter that wanted to force women football players to wear Bikinis or whatever?

Shameless hypocrisy...
"Jose Mourinho favoured directness and used to throw Robert Huth or John Terry up front when Chelsea were chasing the game, a ploy associated with the industrial era of English football management."
- The Guardian UK, November 26, 2007
Bubus
Egg
Egg

Post by Bubus »

Its a Goal wrote:It will definately look good on Kanu :P.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
JJ Okocha will take this freekick... curls it in! Oh! ...curls it right in!! What a goal?!! What a moment of magic from JJ Okocha?!! And its 1-1!!
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Tsoolo,very good debate.My interpretation of Law 4 of the FIFA Rules stated above is simply that FIFA is right on this one.'basic compulsory equipment' is described therein as "jerseys or shirts;shorts;....etc".What this proffers is that the outfit MUST be comprised of the different components seperated by each semi-colon.Only a jersey can be substituted for a shirt and vice versa.What can be described as either a shirt or jersey is subject to a narrower definition,however,there is no disguising the clear distinguishing of "jerseys or shirts;shorts....".If the FIFA legislature intended otherwise,then that part of Rule 4 would have read."jerseys or shirts,and shorts...".Then,Cameroun would have been able to exploit the loophole.They should just comply and dress as specified.I don't imagine roaring Lions when I see the poor attempt at being creative by Puma.
Last edited by Obong on Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
somebody
Egg
Egg

Post by somebody »

Its simple the Camerounians are being used as guinea pigs by puma, I think that is part of the deal their FA signed with puma. :lol:
Why do we struggle to live when we are still going to die anyway?
khalela

Post by khalela »

If Cameroon like,they should wear tights and blouse that is their business.It is when I see S.E. dressed like the Cameroonians that I will start panicking.
Yettycom
Egg
Egg
Re: 100 metre dash guys

Post by Yettycom »

tsoolo wrote:
kclion03 wrote:Jimi,
My sentiments exactly. Furthermore, someone should be sued for forcing these grown men (cameroonian players) to dress like drag queens. I mean those uniforms can't be good for there circulation. No wonder they are playing like s--t.
How about the 100 metre dash guys, are the uniforms they wear good for their circulation?
they dont have to run to and fro for 90mins...... 8)
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
Malandro
Egg
Egg

Post by Malandro »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the camerounian jerseys by design or otherwise. It would seem the reason Blatter is pressing the issue is apparently under pressure from Adidas who are official sponsors of FIFA and hence have a vested interest in the situation.

Apparently CAF and FIFA were given a preview of the outfit three months before the start of the competition. So why wait till now you raise the issue?. I got the article below from the camfoot website, but unfortunately it does not have a link to the original article

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Herald Today

Fev. 02, 2004 - 16:07
Sports : War between sportswear manufacturers affects Indomitable Lions
By Martin Etonge in Sousse, Tunisia

It has become evident that the battle waged by FIFA president, Sepp Blatter to get Cameroon’s new one-piece kit banned has been provoked by sportswear manufacturers, Adidas.

Adidas are kit suppliers to FIFA and also pay royalties to the world football governing body of up to 6 million Euros (almost four billion CFA francs) every year, The Herald has learnt. And Adidas are not happy to see their rivals, Puma renovate football outfits all the time, to beat them. Puma are the kit suppliers of the Lions. Their first innovation was in 2002 when they produced sleeveless jerseys for the Lions.

The outfit became very popular and helped to increase sales for Puma. Even after the banning of the outfit by FIFA, sales have jumped to the detriment of archrivals, Adidas. So when Puma came up with another new kit that linked the shirt to the short as one piece, Adidas considered this as another chance for Puma to completely outpace them in the rapid changing world of sportswear manufacturing.

Thanks to their sure special relations with FIFA. Adidas do not want the new kits to even be used, otherwise Puma will still make some money from the sales.

Unfortunately for Adidas, it was virtually late for the organisers to immediately stop Cameroon from using the kits. In spite of pressure from Blatter, CAF has authorised Cameroon to use the outfits, though only for the first round.

And CAF does not seem in a haste to take out a complete ban of the jersey. In a pre-Nations Cup press conference Blatter emphasised that the new outfits were against the rule. But CAF president Issa Hayatou, for his part, acknowledged that it was virtually impossible to stop a team from using their outfit on the eve of the event. He was not clear on whether he was against the new outfits or not, maybe for fear of openly contradicting his superior.

Blatter was not happy with Hayatou’s position and continued to put pressure on Hayatou to act. So to save face, CAF has opted for a middle of the road solution.

However, FECAFOOT is hoping to benefit from the fact that it is impossible to make new kits in Asia and supply them to Africa within a week or two. FECAFOOT president, Mohammed Iya has already asked CAF to consider this impossibility.

Even if Cameroon were to use the kits throughout the Nations Cup, the damage has already been done. Players like Samuel Eto’o who have demonstrated great affection for the new kits have angered FIFA’s insistence. And there is a general feeling amongst the players that FIFA wants to prevent them ‘from making their show.’
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

Thank you man. As usual this is usual FIFA nonsense. They only rise up when it has to do with cash.

If Adidas came up with a one-piece thong football uniform for women, no doubt FIFA would find it quite satisfactory - as long as their Swiss bank account is lined with cash.
Sampo
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

Malandro,

Thanks for the poop. Though, I am one of the people here that have poked some fun on Cameroon (just a banter) for their bizarre jersey on another thread here, in all seriousness, one cannot help but wonder particularly about Blatter's duplicity. FIFA, looking feeble when its case isn't solid, also continues to make itself ridiculous with its directive. How is the jersey good or acceptable for the group stages but not for the latter part? See power of money there.. Almighty FIFA struggling to flex its muscles after sacrificing its conscience.. LOL :lol: :lol:
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FIFA RULING ON CAMEROON UNIFORMS - Unconstitutional

Post by Dodo »

tsoolo wrote:Law 4 of the FIFA rules states categorically that "the basic compulsory equipment of a player is a jersey or shirt; shorts; stockings, shin guards and footwear........"

Now this law does not state whether the shirt and shorts should be linked or not so I do not understand why Blatter is banning it. I think that it is constitutionally wrong for him to do so and if I were the FA of Cameroon I will use the uniforms anyway and wait for a reaction from FIFA.

This issue can be fought and won in court..............
the sheer fact that shirt and short are mentioned separately would most likely mean this jersey is unofficial
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

tsoolo wrote:Law 4 of the FIFA rules states categorically that "the basic compulsory equipment of a player is a jersey or shirt; shorts; stockings, shin guards and footwear........"

Now this law does not state whether the shirt and shorts should be linked or not so I do not understand why Blatter is banning it. I think that it is constitutionally wrong for him to do so and if I were the FA of Cameroon I will use the uniforms anyway and wait for a reaction from FIFA.

open dictopnary and look up those words. (keep in mind a gown is not considered skirt and blouse)
Egg
Egg

Post by Thought »

Only the previous posts highlights where the jersey miss road for fifa rules....

jersey or shirt; short.... not gown, body suit, 1-piece clothing, or any other type of apparel. Meaning: there must be a shirt or jersey SEPERATE from the shorts.

Regardless of that, the cameroon jersey is a good design idea but doesnt look good for soccer. It is something that fits skiing or bobsleighing and I''ll be damned if cameroon does any of them.
Real Madrid - The Greatest Club on Earth!
tsoolo
Egg
Egg
Really????

Post by tsoolo »

somebody wrote:Its simple the Camerounians are being used as guinea pigs by puma, I think that is part of the deal their FA signed with puma. :lol:
I dont see anything wrong with that. This type of "guinea pig" is good. It is better than what history has seen.........
The greatset gift of life is the gift of learning, that gift is incomplete unless it is passed on - Annonymous
tsoolo
Egg
Egg

Post by tsoolo »

Scourge wrote:

open dictopnary and look up those words. (keep in mind a gown is not considered skirt and blouse)
Scourge, it is not an English class, i dont need a dictionary but if you want me to define my terms or other terms, I will be happy to do so.......
The greatset gift of life is the gift of learning, that gift is incomplete unless it is passed on - Annonymous
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

tsoolo wrote:
Scourge wrote:

Scourge, it is not an English class, i dont need a dictionary but if you want me to define my terms or other terms, I will be happy to do so.......
maybe you overlooked the semi-colon then. just like i asid before:
gown is not considered skirt and blouse
Overall's arent singlet and trousser