My observation after rewatching Nig vs Mor & Nig vs SA

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet
My observation after rewatching Nig vs Mor & Nig vs SA

Post by Its a Goal »

Nig vs Mor:
It is very wrong to say our players didn't commit themselves fully in this match. If not for bad luck and some unlucky breaks, we would have scored first or at least equalized after going behind. It is fair though to say there was more bite and urgency in our players approach after Morocco went ahead.

Nig vs SA:
This match gave us the chance to really assess how well our players had bonded. It seemed we didn't cruise pass gear 3 all night long as we were just doing enough to curtail the South Africans and punish them severly anytime they give us an opportunity.

Okocha:
In both matches, Okocha played very deep, I guess to assist the DM position. His passes and touches as always were a delight and rarely gave the ball away. His vision is unsurpassed, especially as he was able to find Osaze in the SA'n crowded 18 yard box to chest down and score. Unless you watch out for him, you won't see his contributions that much cos he wasn't imposing himself on any of the matches. My guts says the best of Okocha is yet to come and when he does open up, it will be a masterpiece display.

Osaze:
This guy is a clinical finisher. This guy doesn't wait for a second chance to go for goals. His 2 goals against SA were hit at accute angles and you could tell the goalkeeper was not expecting him to shoot from that angle. A confident striker who is sure of himself would hit balls like that. Osaze is very sure of himself and he will definately get more goals playing that way.

Ikedia:
Here is one player I had some expectations of but failed to live up to them. I don't no what Ikedia brings to the table cos he can't cross and doesn't create enough options with his runs down the right.

Enyeama:
The more high profile games this guy plays, the better he is getting. He pulled off some miraculous saves that will be the envy of any great goalkeeper. His timing of ariel ball is getting better though there is still alot of room for improvement. At present he is Nigeria's undisputed #1.

Lawal:
I'm sure CCC is still kicking himself for leaving out this guy in the 1st match. He is a hard working hussler that plays his role to a T. He was solid all night long on the LB and the few times he went up, he caused all sorts of trouble for the SA'n defence. His shot on goal in the dying minutes would have been the perfect reward for a good job had it gone in.

Utaka:
He did a few things right, one of which was the dash down the right and a pull back for Osaze to slam the ball in for the 4th goal. As a striker he has a lot to learn. One instance was when he had the last defender beat and was one on one with the keeper, in the match against SA. Instead of powering the ball past the keeper, he choose to round the keeper but at this point the last defender he had beaten had recovered to put himself in the path the ball will travel to the net. Instinctly Utaka could have shoot the ball high into the net but he choose instead to kick a grounder shot which the defender was able to clear for a corner kick.

Conclusion:
We have yet to see the best of Nigeria at this tournament. It is not that this team is incapable of playing better but it seems they don't feel anyone has pushed them hard enough to bring out the best in them. Once the competition gets stiffer, watch how our guys move it up a notch.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Very nice summary, thanks. I agree with you about Ikedia. He always seems to dribble himself aimlessly into ranks of massed defenders and can't cross.

People don't relize how urgently the SE need midfield destroyers, hustlers and ball winners on that team. Lawal should start every game from now on.

Wha choo looking at?!
Upbendel
Egg
Egg
Re: My observation after rewatching Nig vs Mor & Nig vs

Post by Upbendel »

Its a Goal wrote:Nig vs Mor:
It is very wrong to say our players didn't commit themselves fully in this match. If not for bad luck and some unlucky breaks, we would have scored first or at least equalized after going behind. It is fair though to say there was more bite and urgency in our players approach after Morocco went ahead.

Nig vs SA:
This match gave us the chance to really assess how well our players had bonded. It seemed we didn't cruise pass gear 3 all night long as we were just doing enough to curtail the South Africans and punish them severly anytime they give us an opportunity.

Okocha:

In both matches, Okocha played very deep, I guess to assist the DM position. His passes and touches as always were a delight and rarely gave the ball away. His vision is unsurpassed, especially as he was able to find Osaze in the SA'n crowded 18 yard box to chest down and score. Unless you watch out for him, you won't see his contributions that much cos he wasn't imposing himself on any of the matches. My guts says the best of Okocha is yet to come and when he does open up, it will be a masterpiece display.

Osaze:
This guy is a clinical finisher. This guy doesn't wait for a second chance to go for goals. His 2 goals against SA were hit at accute angles and you could tell the goalkeeper was not expecting him to shoot from that angle. A confident striker who is sure of himself would hit balls like that. Osaze is very sure of himself and he will definately get more goals playing that way.

Ikedia:
Here is one player I had some expectations of but failed to live up to them. I don't no what Ikedia brings to the table cos he can't cross and doesn't create enough options with his runs down the right.

Enyeama:
The more high profile games this guy plays, the better he is getting. He pulled off some miraculous saves that will be the envy of any great goalkeeper. His timing of ariel ball is getting better though there is still alot of room for improvement. At present he is Nigeria's undisputed #1.

Lawal:
I'm sure CCC is still kicking himself for leaving out this guy in the 1st match. He is a hard working hussler that plays his role to a T. He was solid all night long on the LB and the few times he went up, he caused all sorts of trouble for the SA'n defence. His shot on goal in the dying minutes would have been the perfect reward for a good job had it gone in.

Utaka:
He did a few things right, one of which was the dash down the right and a pull back for Osaze to slam the ball in for the 4th goal. As a striker he has a lot to learn. One instance was when he had the last defender beat and was one on one with the keeper, in the match against SA. Instead of powering the ball past the keeper, he choose to round the keeper but at this point the last defender he had beaten had recovered to put himself in the path the ball will travel to the net. Instinctly Utaka could have shoot the ball high into the net but he choose instead to kick a grounder shot which the defender was able to clear for a corner kick.

Conclusion:
We have yet to see the best of Nigeria at this tournament. It is not that this team is incapable of playing better but it seems they don't feel anyone has pushed them hard enough to bring out the best in them. Once the competition gets stiffer, watch how our guys move it up a notch.
IAG:
True talk..
"God will give us the victory, but we must be willing to fight"!
The Observer
Egg
Egg

Post by The Observer »

Ikedia pulled some good crosses in the first match. Regarding his dribbles, he could be more effective if he also cuts in rather than always drifting to the far right.
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

Please rewatch the tape again. Lawal is very poor and lacks imagination going forward. Ikedia has been very good and adds spark to the offense when he comes in. The ball Utaka rounded the keeper if he wasn't so selfish or desperate to score he would have had a delightful assist if he had crossed the ball to JJ who had made a run to the weak side and was wide open for an easy tap in or a walk in with the ball. Your analysis of Lawal is very flawed the guy is dim and plays dim.
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
iyerebee
Egg
Egg

Post by iyerebee »

MEN, I DOFF MY HEARTS TO U GUYS WITH UR INCISIVE ANALYSIS/SUMMARY

I ONLY WISH IKEDIA WOULD LIVE UP TO MORE OF HIS POTENTIAL
theDunamis
Egg
Egg
Re: My observation after rewatching Nig vs Mor & Nig vs

Post by theDunamis »

Its a Goal wrote:Nig vs Mor:
Osaze:
Very true. I pointed out in an earlier post that coming off the bench to score goals of such class speaks volumes for his talent and confidence. Far be it from me to shrine a guy based on one performance, but this dude sure looks like he will be owning a shrine soon if that performance is anything to go by (unless of cos he is just another Salvatore Schillaci).
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

The Observer wrote:Ikedia pulled some good crosses in the first match. Regarding his dribbles, he could be more effective if he also cuts in rather than always drifting to the far right.
I agree with this observation of Ikedai in the first game. Minus his comments on Ikedia, everything else that AIG said is spot on. As for Lawal, I don't know what else the man needs to do to get more credit for his contribution to the SE. I think some of the criticizm of him is unfair.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

African star wrote
Lawal is very poor and lacks imagination going forward.
Is it everybody on a team that must go forward? You want the 'keeper Enyeama to go forward too? Use your head, man! How many times did Didier Deschamps go forward for France, or Dunga for Brazil, or Paul Ince for England? Those guys had a well defined role, namely to add some steel and bustle to the midfield, and disrupt the opponent's game.

Everybody on a team can't be a fancy attacker. Left to the likes of you Nigeria would be playing with 11 Kanus.

Wha choo looking at?!
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

Naija fan wrote:
The Observer wrote:Ikedia pulled some good crosses in the first match. Regarding his dribbles, he could be more effective if he also cuts in rather than always drifting to the far right.
I agree with this observation of Ikedai in the first game. Minus his comments on Ikedia, everything else that AIG said is spot on. As for Lawal, I don't know what else the man needs to do to get more credit for his contribution to the SE. I think some of the criticizm of him is unfair.
people here hate on Lawal cos he's from the north period.
KBlack
Egg
Egg

Post by KBlack »

My opinion of Ikedia is the same for El Hadji Diouf: They are the busiest most unproductive players in the world..... :twisted:
chif456
Egg
Egg

Post by chif456 »

I agree with everything but Ikedia. I think even in WC2002 everytime he cmomes on, the attack line comes alive. Against the Arabs.. he did a great job crossing the ball
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

chif456 wrote:I agree with everything but Ikedia. I think even in WC2002 everytime he cmomes on, the attack line comes alive. Against the Arabs.. he did a great job crossing the ball
FYI, not everyone from Northern African is an ARAB.
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

I'll tell u what Lawal needs to do ...he needs to start purposeful and creative attacking...same way kanu needs to start scoring...and since these people's international career is almost over they can forget about doing those things..thats why i say its time for some players to relax and retire....and when they do retire the hunt for a viable replacemnts will heat up..now they are there we always end up settling for mediocrity..
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie
chif456
Egg
Egg

Post by chif456 »

Thanks . :oops:
juventuss wrote:
chif456 wrote:I agree with everything but Ikedia. I think even in WC2002 everytime he cmomes on, the attack line comes alive. Against the Arabs.. he did a great job crossing the ball
FYI, not everyone from Northern African is an ARAB.
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

Okay, so maybe those Moroccans are Berbers, but we all know what he means.
"Jose Mourinho favoured directness and used to throw Robert Huth or John Terry up front when Chelsea were chasing the game, a ploy associated with the industrial era of English football management."
- The Guardian UK, November 26, 2007
sarkin doya
Egg
Egg

Post by sarkin doya »

After watching the Morocco game, my impression of Ikedia's
performance is different from many of you. It is true that he
managed to get a number of crosses into the box and
that he cut down on his endless dribbling.
His speed often allowed him to get in a position to
make a cross.

However, most of the crosses were not on target -
they were mostly too short. Until he is able to deliver
better crosses, I fear he will always remain the SE
sub who enters the game in the last 5 to 10mins.
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

sarkin doya wrote: I fear he will always remain the SE
sub who enters the game in the last 5 to 10mins.
"Fear"? Be happy!!