Kalu is d most popular Nigerian Politician today -Hayatou

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

VINDAVE
Kalu is d most popular Nigerian Politician today -Hayatou

Post by VINDAVE »

Orji Kalu is Africa's shinning star — Hayatou

By Abdullahi Adiamoh
Tuesday, December 30, 2003

CAF President, Issah Hayatou last week granted Sunday Observer of The Gambia an interview on new African Club Champions and attributed Enyimba's success to Governor Orji Uzor Kalu. Here are excerpts from the interview published December 28
ISSA Hayatou, president of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) has tipped the Nigerian side for victory in the up-coming African Nations Cup. Speaking to this reporter, the CAF helmsman said that he expected the recent victory of Enyimba Football Club of Nigeria to spur the national team to victory in their international engagements.
Enyimba FC made history just few weeks back when the club won the African Champions League Cup for the first time since 1965 when the championship was introduced. Nigeria, despite being regarded as one of the football giants of the continent, has found success at the club level elusive. But if there was any jinx to be broken, it has now been shattered by the 2-1 thrashing of Ismaili FC of Egypt by Enyimba FC of Aba, Nigeria.
And according to Issa Hayatou, president of the CAF, Enyimba’s success may also help light the path of Nigeria’s football history and records. In this chat with our reporter, Mr. Hayatou, who was in Banjul recently said Enyimba FC's victory was both attributable to good footballing skills as it is to the visionary leadership and support that the club has enjoyed from its major promoter and patron, His Excellency Orji Uzor Kalu, Executive Governor of Abia State, Nigeria, who is also presently in The Gambia.
According to Issa Hayatou, there could be no greater testimony to Nigeria’s worth on the pitch of play than Enyimba FC’s victory. Hayatou also said he expected this new achievement to spur the national team, Super Eagles, into heroic feats during the on-coming Nations Cup holding in Tunisia as well as in the 2010 World Cup.
The CAF boss also said he expected Nigeria’s footballing prospects to become resoundingly bright if people like Orji Uzo Kalu “had their way” in the administration of the game in Nigeria. “It is possible that Nigeria wins the World Cup in 2010 if Orji Uzo Kalu continues in this manner and given the opportunity, I can tell you that he can turn things around,” said Hayatou, expressing his regards for the administrative and leadership qualities of His Excellency Orji Uzor Kalu, Abia State Governor and Enyimba FC mentor.
Excerpts of the interview:
It is the first time in 39 years that a Nigerian team is winning the CAF Cup, how do you regard this in the development of sports in Nigeria?
For me, it’s a new horizon for Nigerian football. This team Enyimba FC is opening the way for Nigeria. I am confident that if the club goes to the World Club Championship where six continents are playing next year June in America or Spain, they should not forget that they are defending the colour of Africa.
Do you think Egypt behaved well?
I think the players did not do anything wrong but the spectators behaved very badly.
Many people are disappointed that for the first time, CAF did not show the handing over of the Cup live because of the behaviour of the fans, what is CAF up to, what will it do?
Today, I have written to all the members of the club competition to give their opinion of the behaviour of the fans and the decision will be taken in Tunis in January.
Given that Enyimba FC has made history for Nigeria, do you think the club should be given national honour by the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria?
Yes the players, management and Governor Orji Uzor Kalu, who is the energy and secret behind the team’s success, should be given the highest national award for their victory after 39 years. When I went to inspect the stadium in Aba and the Governor told me that they (Enyimba FC) will win the cup, I did not believe it. I took it like a joke but when I moved round his state ad saw the way the crowd were following and praising him, I started to say in my mind that this man is a serious man. What many football club managers could not do in 39 years, Governor Kalu did in four years. I wish Enyimba well and I hope the Nigerian President will give the team, management and the Governor the highest national honour in Nigeria because they have made history after 39 years.
You are speaking affectionately of the governor, how well do you know His Excellency, Orji Uzor Kalu?
I know him through one of the French-speaking country presidents who called me in my house one day and told me that a Governor from Nigeria will be meeting me in Pais and I met Governor Kalu in Lagos but he was so young in my mind that I couldn’t believe that he could do some of the things we were discussing.
Then I set a test for him without him knowing. I told him that I wanted to meet some American officials for some issues very important to my country and to CAF. I tasked him to facilitate the meetings for me. Governor Kalu duly promised to set up the appointment for me to see some officials in Washington and to my utmost surprise, within two weeks, these Washington officials, who I never met, called me and said that Governor Kalu had made the appointments for me to meet them.
I almost couldn’t believe my ears so I called our Cameroun Ambassador to confirm the meetings before I go there and waste my time, surprisingly again, our ambassador reconfirmed the appointment and I was shocked. This is one appointment even my ambassador had failed to secure for me. I went to Washington and I met all the officials that I had always wanted to meet. I was shocked with the level of respect I was given and since then I have taken Governor Kalu as a shinning star of Africa. To me, Governor Kalu is a good ambassador of Africa.
I have invited him to attend the General Congress of CAF because I see another MKO Abiola in Governor Kalu as a pillar of sports in Africa and a good ambassador of African people.
How do you see Nigeria’s prospect at the World Cup. Do you think Nigeria can win the World Cup?
Yes, when you have people like Governor Kalu at the helms of affairs, it is possible that Nigeria wins the World Cup in 2010. If he continues in this manner and given the opportunity.
I must also tell you that Kalu is the most popular politician in Nigeria today. Nigerians might believe it or not but 'am speaking the opinion of the French Intelligence Agency which is well respected in the world.
Enyimba will be playing on February 21 with Etoile du Sahel of Tunisia for the Champion of Champions Cup and I will be there again in Aba Stadium after the Nations Cup to see my friend Kalu and the people of Abia State.
And mind you, I am a chief in Abia State. I wish the Nigerian people well in the Nations Cup. I hope they will follow the foot steps of Enyimba Football Club.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

Oh no, not again. Enough of childish ranting from Hayatou
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.