4-5-1 will deal with Cameroun

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
4-5-1 will deal with Cameroun

Post by Scipio Africanus »

I gotta admit, we have to be conservative for this game.

This lineup will give Nigeria a comfortable 4-1 win.

Enyeama

Yobo Okoronkwo Abbey Udeze

Lawal Olofinjana
Aghahowa JJ Odemwengie

Utaka

CCC should instruct Lawal and Olofinjana to play deeper than usual, so that when Cameroun have the ball, our formation will be closer to a 6-3-1. This will kill two birds with one stone.

First, this will effectively neutralize Cameroun's wing play.

Second, 6-3-1 is an ideal springboard from which to launch speedy and devastating counter attacks. In JJ, Olofinjana and to a lesser extent Yobo, we have decent long range passers. When one of these guys recovers the ball deep, our formation becomes a
4-3-3, with Osaze and Aghahowa on the wings using their speed to stretch Cameroun's defense and with Utaka, rip it to shreds. Song and co will not stand a chance.

Speed is our strength, and ths formation will utilize it to the fullest.

Wha choo looking at?!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

CCC, I hope say you don read dis post ooo :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wha choo looking at?!
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

No matter wetin una talk, Kanu will play on sunday!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

No matter wetin una talk, Kanu will play on sunday!
This is a promise. If I see Kanu anywhere near dat team on Sunday, I will personally fly to Tunisia myself to remove him. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Kanu?? Sorry. Game over for you with the SE.

Wha choo looking at?!
waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: 4-5-1 will deal with Cameroun

Post by waka-man »

Scipio Africanus wrote:I gotta admit, we have to be conservative for this game.

This lineup will give Nigeria a comfortable 4-1 win.
Enyeama

Yobo Okoronkwo Abbey Udeze

Lawal Olofinjana
Aghahowa JJ Odemwengie

Utaka
CCC should instruct Lawal and Olofinjana to play deeper than usual, so that when Cameroun have the ball, our formation will be closer to a 6-3-1. This will kill two birds with one stone.

First, this will effectively neutralize Cameroun's wing play.

Second, 6-3-1 is an ideal springboard from which to launch speedy and devastating counter attacks. In JJ, Olofinjana and to a lesser extent Yobo, we have decent long range passers. When one of these guys recovers the ball deep, our formation becomes a
4-3-3, with Osaze and Aghahowa on the wings using their speed to stretch Cameroun's defense and with Utaka, rip it to shreds. Song and co will not stand a chance.

Speed is our strength, and ths formation will utilize it to the fullest.
We might as well not show up. 6 at the back?!? Are we really that scared? We'll get penned in our half and find it impossible to break. Please, do realise that the secret to good defense is not necessarily about putting more and more men in it.

One of our big problems this tournament has been the huge, and I mean huge gap between the midfield and the attack. Notice how often JJ, Olofinjana and the back line have had to launch missiles foward because of this gap. This was particularly so in the first game.

It was better in the second because Jag and Kanu came back for the ball and JJ stayed well ahead of Olofinjana.

The best thing (only good thing?) about Kanu in this tournament is that after that first game, he's stuck to the task of sticking to the opponents back four while the more mobile Jag has gone in search of the ball. If we are so worried about Cam's midfield, we can ask Jag to do more of that.

Another thing you nuetralise with your formation here is Utaka running with the ball which generally speaking has been one of the problems we've created consitently. I don't disagree that he might be of use in more central areas, but certainly not as an isolated attacker.

I think we have two options here:

The slightly more negative mind-set that accepts we are under-dogs but capable of winning: 4-1-4-1 (which is a 4-5-1 of sorts):

-------------------Enyeama-----------------
Abbey------Yobo------Okoronkwo---Udeze
--------------------Seyi--------------------------
Ikedia-------Utaka----JJ-------------Lawal---
---------------------Jag/Kanu-------------------

The more positive line-up is exactly how we played against SA, with the strikers putting maximum pressure on the other side at all times even when they loose the ball. I think this will work well against a Cameroon team that is well marshalled but prone to mistakes in both midfield and defense. It might look a more attacking line up but it simple move the defense to the front and calles for a pressing game:
-------------------Enyeama-----------------
Abbey------Yobo------Okoronkwo---Udeze
--------------------Seyi--------------------------
Utaka-------------JJ-----------------Lawal---
----------------Jag-----Kanu-------------------
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

I would advocate for an extra man in the midfield, so JJ can go more into our opponents half.
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
so__so_scandalous
Egg
Egg

Post by so__so_scandalous »

4-5-1 shows too much respect to Cameroonn they aren't the best attacking side in africa let alone the world. 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 will do the trick
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Why some of you are concentrating on Geremis' right foot, don't forget that Atouba can also do the same thing on the left flank. This game won't be easy for you gusy as you think. There are worl class players of Calibres that are more than Jag and co, who have not been able to run over Cameroons defence as you guys are suggesting. Ronaldinho, Adriano, Henry, Pires, Colombians, Amerians, Turks and more have been unable to run over Cameroons defence as you guys presume Jag and co will do. I just wonder what makes you guys feel that you will just run over them.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Bamendaboy,

Calling it as it is, it's going to be a tough game for both sides and it's too close to call.

Infact I won't be surprised if this goes down to penalties.

Whatever the case, may the better side win.

Cheers
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

so so scandalous, we play 3-5-2 against Cameroun and we might as well forfeit the game. It will be murder out there.

Waka man, Romania used that same setup, (note I wrote <b>like</b> 6-3-1 when we don't have the ball, not actual 6-3-1) to trounce Argentina in WC '94.

What I like about it is that, if played well, there is simply no way thru. You get the same feeling you get when you are playing Italy.

Waka man, I will respond to you in more detail later, but please take away this key point from my formation:

Cameroun's game will be disrupted immensely, and Nigeria's ball recovery capabilities will be enhanced.

JAG and Osaze on the wings, with JJ and Olofinjana spraying passes to them, will test and stretch that Cameroun defense like they have never been tested before. Combine that with Utaka's runs, which you like so much, and the goals will come at will.

Wha choo looking at?!
so__so_scandalous
Egg
Egg

Post by so__so_scandalous »

bamendaboy wrote:Why some of you are concentrating on Geremis' right foot, don't forget that Atouba can also do the same thing on the left flank. This game won't be easy for you gusy as you think. There are worl class players of Calibres that are more than Jag and co, who have not been able to run over Cameroons defence as you guys are suggesting. Ronaldinho, Adriano, Henry, Pires, Colombians, Amerians, Turks and more have been unable to run over Cameroons defence as you guys presume Jag and co will do. I just wonder what makes you guys feel that you will just run over them.
abeg sharrap. Adiano ko Adiano ni. Wasn't it Zimbabwe that posted 3 goals past your fearsome defence?
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

4-5-1 is the way to go with Kanu on the bench
Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Jimi »

CCC will never play 4-5-1..matter of fact Nigeria has never played 4-5-1 at any level.. It just goes against our mentality.. With us na to Attack and hope we score more than we concede. Another thing, I hate to say it, but expect something special from Kanu this weekend. Na me talk am!!!
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

did'nt 94 eagus played 4-5-1, particularly on defence.

also depending on presonnel, 4-5-1 can be attack oriented.
Jimi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Jimi »

omotori wrote:did'nt 94 eagus played 4-5-1, particularly on defence.

also depending on presonnel, 4-5-1 can be attack oriented.
Nah I think we had, Amokachi/Siasia and Yekini upfront..I think we played 4-4-2. Can someone clarify?
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Omotori,

I like your formation, but sadly i know in my heart that Kanu will start and with him in the mix that formation can't be played.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."