For Heavens Sake: What is an "Anchorman"?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Abubakar
Egg
Egg
For Heavens Sake: What is an "Anchorman"?

Post by Abubakar »

Anchorman this,
Anchorman that...

This is another attempt to use big words to describe a player. What does Olofinjana anchor. It looks to me that the boy's boots are anchored to the football field. He is looking starry eyed and confused all the time. Not mobile. He stays put!. He is indeed anchored for sure.

But really, who the heck came up with the name "Anchorman"?

The last time I heard someone call Ezeugo (USA 94) the "destroyer". Is this the same as an anchorman? I would suppose that while the former breaks up plays and keeps fighting hard, the latter sits glued (anchored) to a spot waiting for the ball.

Someone help me please.

Buran Uba!
In the Abundance of Water, the Fool is Thirsty!
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: For Heavens Sake: What is an "Anchorman"?

Post by GUEST »

Abubakar wrote:Anchorman this,
Anchorman that...

This is another attempt to use big words to describe a player. What does Olofinjana anchor. It looks to me that the boy's boots are anchored to the football field. He is looking starry eyed and confused all the time. Not mobile. He stays put!. He is indeed anchored for sure.

But really, who the heck came up with the name "Anchorman"?

The last time I heard someone call Ezeugo (USA 94) the "destroyer". Is this the same as an anchorman? I would suppose that while the former breaks up plays and keeps fighting hard, the latter sits glued (anchored) to a spot waiting for the ball.

Someone help me please.

Buran Uba!
Anchorman sound like someone delivering mails. I may be wrong!
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

Anchorman - Someone that travels with a sailor and drops the anchor when the ship has reached the shores of his destination.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
mke1010
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mke1010 »

Hahaha. That was funny. Obodo is definitely a more polished player as of now. I for one had not seen Finjana play but twice and I think we can now see that playing in Norway is not like playing top flight football. Some people who know themselves came on this forum and as usual over-hyped this guy. I can't beleive Viera and Finjana were actually used in the same sentence. The guy is gaining valuable exeperince but he just looks to unsure and like a deer caught in the head lights.
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

Enough with this ranting. Olofinjana is an *attacking* midfielder who th coaches have somehow decided is their anchorman. Don't blame him for pitching in with his best.

Blame the coaches who somehow picked 22 players and yet have NO pure DM at all on the entire squad.
"Jose Mourinho favoured directness and used to throw Robert Huth or John Terry up front when Chelsea were chasing the game, a ploy associated with the industrial era of English football management."
- The Guardian UK, November 26, 2007
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Ziontrain wrote:Enough with this ranting. Olofinjana is an *attacking* midfielder who th coaches have somehow decided is their anchorman. Don't blame him for pitching in with his best.

Blame the coaches who somehow picked 22 players and yet have NO pure DM at all on the entire squad.
ZIONTRAIN:
For the ZILLIONTH time, he is not! This season at Brann is the FIRST TIME that Seyi has played full-time as an attacking midfielder in his entire professional career -- either at club or national team level! The DM position is as "natural" a position for Seyi as any.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Thanks Gotti...

BTW, since he is an attacking midfielder, how come he looks just as useless when he moves up the field and tries to attack as he does when he is defending?

He looked ok against SA, but against Benin he was just crap and was rightly substituted.
Gotti wrote:
Ziontrain wrote:Enough with this ranting. Olofinjana is an *attacking* midfielder who th coaches have somehow decided is their anchorman. Don't blame him for pitching in with his best.

ZIONTRAIN:
For the ZILLIONTH time, he is not! This season at Brann is the FIRST TIME that Seyi has played full-time as an attacking midfielder in his entire professional career -- either at club or national team level! The DM position is as "natural" a position for Seyi as any.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Since no one answered Abu's question, let me try. An anchorman is the guy that holds things together in midfield. He would normally play just in front of the back four, protecting them and breaking up play by the other side. He is not expected to go forward that much (hence the term anchor comes from just sitting in front of the defence line), and should keep it simple by giving the ball to the more creative players after he wins it.

He is also referred to as a ball-winner - tackles, wins the ball and passes it to the creative guys. Eric Cantona referred to this type of player (with Didier Deschamps in mind) as a "water carrier".

Other names for an anchorman position include "defensive midfielder", "holding role" or the old-fashioned "right half".

Claude Makalele is probably the best example of an anchorman.
http://www.naijiant.com/
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

...the naivete of some of the forumites has shocked me over the past few days. We have people on here who do not know the meaning of/understand basic footballing terms like "second ball" and "anchorman"......yet they still think they know more about football than CCC and the professional players themselves. Dreadful.