Is Olofinjana useless or is he useless?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Dapo,

I think you should go a bit easy on the guy. This is his first major competition and he is still trying to find his rhythm in the team. The role he plays is crucial in the sense that any slip up will leave the defence exposed, that coupled with the fact that he is probably playing to CCC's instruction may cause him to err of the side of caution.

The boy has all the physical attributes to excel in his position, his confidence is growing and he is in good company. Believe me, this guy will be as good, if not better than Oliseh in the fullness of time.

Cheers
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Fadatiko:
I did not say that Olofinjana is useless, only that his game was poor yesterday.

fadatiko wrote:Question for Dapo and Yujam. JAG has had 3 bad matches so far. Does this make him useless?
dapo lawal
Egg
Egg

Post by dapo lawal »

FIURE OF SPEECH, JUV, F.O.S
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

Janganza wrote:I think Dapo is making a good point. Keshi commented on it too. Keshi advised him to take risks sometimes and shot at post from outside 18. Keshi made this observation after he lost possession of the ball on a number of occassions around the 18 yard box. He gave example of Oliseh who play the same role as Olofijana. He plays like someone who lacks confidence.
You are listening to Keshi? Keshi said the guy should take shots from 30 to 35 yards not just from outside the 18 yard box. Which kind yeye analysis is that?
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

dapo lawal wrote:FIURE OF SPEECH, JUV, F.O.S
figure of speech is no justification for saying a player is useless. Again the term useless is used here alot without people knowing the full meaning of it.
dapo lawal
Egg
Egg

Post by dapo lawal »

Mr Shows,

I hope you are right on this issue. I wish the guy the best. for those hung up on the word useless, it just a figure of speech.
dapo lawal
Egg
Egg

Post by dapo lawal »

Shame if people don't know the meaning. LIKE OTHER WORDS, PEOPLE USE THEM LOOSELY. IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT THE HIS GAME WAS POOR.
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

dapo lawal wrote:Shame if people don't know the meaning. LIKE OTHER WORDS, PEOPLE USE THEM LOOSELY. IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE FACT THE HIS GAME WAS POOR.
Thats a better way of putting it. but being general and saying he is useless isnt
dapo lawal
Egg
Egg

Post by dapo lawal »

JUVE, BITE ME
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

Ayo dis your boy get as e be O, Right now Seyi is looking more like the next Nyarko rather than the next Viera, says a lot about the finnish or whatever league he is dominating right now.
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

dapo lawal wrote:JUVE, BITE ME
why should i ? I am not useless :D :D

cheers
dapo lawal
Egg
Egg

Post by dapo lawal »

R U SURE JUVE? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

dapo lawal, ask urself are u useless
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
dapo lawal
Egg
Egg

Post by dapo lawal »

Yes, not as much as you and olofinjana
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

Mr Shows wrote:Dapo,

I think you should go a bit easy on the guy. This is his first major competition and he is still trying to find his rhythm in the team. The role he plays is crucial in the sense that any slip up will leave the defence exposed, that coupled with the fact that he is probably playing to CCC's instruction may cause him to err of the side of caution.

The boy has all the physical attributes to excel in his position, his confidence is growing and he is in good company. Believe me, this guy will be as good, if not better than Oliseh in the fullness of time.

Cheers
Indeed he has the physical attributes, especially size, BUT not the raw agression or ability to dominate the space in front of his defense. Its not his nature, pure and simple. Seyi plays more of a linking game. He is clearly not very comfortable now, but as he gets there, you will find that that is his real game.

Even playing in Norwegian league, Seyi NEVER dominated physically/defensively, even when dropped back to do so. He just doesn't play like that. And that league is inferior to the opposition at ANC by far. So what are you expecting - that he's going to jack all the Camerounians alone? Wishful thinking, friends.

This guy will thrive if we play a more fluid midfield, but I don't know about leaving him alone at DM. If the SE was to play for example a 4-2-3-1 and Seyi had a partner back there, okay I can see this working. Not Obodo, but a real worker who will get down and dirty. That's what its gonna take. These days even the best DM do not work alone - let alone a novice.

These days even Viera always has a Gilberto Parlor to help him. You would rarely see a paymaker like Pires alone with Viera. At Man U Keane always has an attack dog like Phil Neville to hound guys with him - and it works!

But this idea of putting a lone DM back there - one who isn't even a pure DM - it aint gonna fly at all.
dapo lawal
Egg
Egg

Post by dapo lawal »

Ziontrain, I agree. But he had Lawal with him.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Ziontrain:
I think you underestimate Obodo, who is better than Seyi in many aspects of the game.

I think Seyi and Obodo can do the job. Obodo is a hard worker who has the ability to close the spaces and throw himself around. He is much superior to Seyi when it comes to passing out the backfield, starting attacks immediately from the back and getting the ball to the feet of those that really count.
Not Obodo, but a real worker who will get down and dirty. That's what its gonna take. These days even the best DM do not work alone - let alone a novice.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

dapo lawal wrote:Fadatiko,

I've seen his game, I expect a man of his size and age to do better. My fear for SE is if the midfield/defence. His positioning, his passes, are poor. He doesn't read the game well. I'm not being negative honestly, he has not played well. He needs to step up his game if he can against cameeroon. Intercept passes, make his presence felt by the opposition. But I'm not sure he can. If our midfield fails, we are in trouble. The midfield is the first point of defence, the heart of any team.
Old boy I dont think you know what u are saying and I agree with the general consensus here that u no sabi football.

Seyi is a defensive midfielder she?
what are the essential qualities of a defensive midfielder? Well let me enlighten you.

a good defensive midfielder must

1) Be a good tackler - Seyi tackles hard but fairly
2) Have the lungs of a marathon runner - From kickoff to the end Seyi is always running, chasing Harrying.
3) Have Hustle - Notice when he loses the ball - he invariably wins it back or forces the opponent to make a bad pass or at worst a non penetrative one.
4) Be disciplined - A rare quality for a Nigerian player - He always there to protect his back four and rarely ventures forward. Having said that he did make a few forward runs which showed when he sees an opportunity to break forward he will.
5) Neat tidy passing - Seyi is not unecessarily flamboyant. He wins the ball and gives it to Jay Jay or others to do the fancy stuff. Admittedly against Benin he tried to do a couple of dribbles which didnt come off but come on - the guy na Naija now - its in the blood... :D :D

On the negative side even though he made some good dangerous runs against Benin he needs to improve on the final ball.

Overall though I think he has been a brilliant find for the Eagles and if he continues like this should make that position his own for a long time.
dapo lawal
Egg
Egg

Post by dapo lawal »

Heavy D, The general consensus in Nigeria is Marwa (former Lagos state Military Gov) was good.

That does not mean its right because its the general opinion. Welcome to your world of heavy ignorance. :)
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

THIS IS A USELESS THREAD!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
HAWKEYE
Egg
Egg

Post by HAWKEYE »

I mentioned in another thread that I hope and pray we survive Sunday because the team has no chemistry and there is a lot of master/boy relationship going on. My reading of Seyi's game is that he's playing to instructions - win the ball and pass to OGA.

The header Abbey missed from Osaze lob from the left was Osaze's own initiative and proper reading of the game. Watch the game again and you will see how OGA got the ball from him lost it and the ball rolles to Osaze who neglected OGA and lobbed.

This team definitely has no chemistry and we all know WHY............
......unless we want to deceive ourselves.
CAPTAIN HAWKINS
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Dapo and Lawal, who's more useless?

By the way, dont get hung on "USELESS", it's just a figure of speech!
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

HAWKEYE wrote:My reading of Seyi's game is that he's playing to instructions - win the ball and pass to OGA.
Nothing wrong with that. Many a defencive midfielder does that.