Nigeria wrong to send trio home, says Okocha

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Nigeria wrong to send trio home, says Okocha

Post by YUJAM »

Soccer-Nations-Nigeria wrong to send trio home, says Okocha

By Trevor Huggins

TUNIS, Feb 5 (Reuters) - Nigeria captain Jay-Jay Okocha took a swipe at team officials on Thursday, saying they were wrong to send three players home from the African Nations Cup for disciplinary reasons.

Strikers Yakubu Aiyegbeni and Victor Agali, plus defender Celestine Babayaro were ordered home last Friday, only for coach Christian Chukwu to announce late on Wednesday that he was calling them back.

Asked about the controversy, Okocha told a news conference on Thursday: "First of all, I wasn't happy that they were sent home. Because we all make mistakes.

"I thought they would have punished them and let them stay with us. Now that they have called them back, I hope and pray that they will accept that, and come back."

However, Okocha made it clear he would not be contacting the trio to persuade them to return, and doubted they would leave their clubs behind a second time.

"I'm not going to speak with anyone," Okocha said. "They have to make their own decisions. They're not kids any more."

As for their chances of re-appearing at these finals, with Nigeria having lined up a quarter-final against holders Cameroon on Sunday, Okocha said: "To be honest, it will be very difficult for them to come back."

Aiyegbeni played for Portsmouth last weekend and the English premier league club said on Thursday that he would not be returning to the Nations Cup. Chelsea's Babayaro and Agali of Schalke 04 did not turn out for their clubs.

Speaking after Wednesday's 2-1 win over Benin, Chukwu said the suspensions had been lifted and that he expected the trio to return imminently.

"The three players have shown remorse about what they did. They have apologised and that's why we are forgiving them," Chukwu said.

Nigerian officials would only say last week the players were sent home for breaking camp rules and would not comment on reports that they had returned late after a night out.
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

my respect for JJ Okocha grows day by day
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

the painful part is why the NFA and CCC are exposing our deficiencies before the whole world....... only a mumu would return to the team.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Kelechi
Egg
Egg

Post by Kelechi »

That CCC talk shows that big head wey he carry has been seriously damaged by Ganja while he was playing for Naija-------

Reterdation must be in his blood or he is retarded to a degree.
For a child of God, silence in the face of problem is an act of ignorance
shaq
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria wrong to send trio home, says Okocha

Post by shaq »

YUJAM wrote:Soccer-Nations-Nigeria wrong to send trio home, says Okocha

"The three players have shown remorse about what they did. They have apologised and that's why we are forgiving them," Chukwu said.
There has been no indication from news reports for us to believe they apologized, when infact, they said they didn't do anything wrong to apologize about in the first place.

I'm sure we've not heard the last of this scandal. I hope we beat Cameroun and win the cup, if not the scapegoating will start all over.