Okocha: Nigeria will be inspired against Cameroon

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet
Okocha: Nigeria will be inspired against Cameroon

Post by Vincent. »

Nigeria will be inspired against Cameroon: Okocha

February 5, 2004

AFP - Feb 5, 9:57 am EST
More Photos

TUNIS (AFP) - Jay Jay Okocha insisted that his Nigerian team will be inspired by having to beat old rivals Cameroon in the African Nations Cup quarter-final on Sunday.

Captain Okocha believes that the Super Eagles, former double winners of the continental crown, have not played anywhere near their best in Tunisia but is convinced Sunday's showdown with the defending champions in Monastir will be just the tonic they need to step out of their lethargy.

"I think that after our poor start we will improve. We didn't play well on Wednesday against Benin but we won and made the quarter-finals," said the Bolton Wanderers skipper.

"I still believe we have a squad that can regroup and do better than we have so far and I believe that a match like this can only bring out the best in us. I think the team can still improve and play better football than we have shown so far," he said Thursday.

"It is always a special match when Nigeria play Cameroon and I think this will be another special game.

"We all know they have a very good team and a lot of experienced players in the squad but that's the exciting thing about football, you never know what's going to happen. It will be difficult but we have a chance of winning."

Nigeria and Cameroon have developed a long-running rivalry at this tournament since they first clashed at the 1984 final in Abidjan.

Cameroon beat Nigeria 3-1 to win their first African Nations Cup title and have only lost once in four other encounters, which have included two other championship finals, in 1988 and 2000.

Okocha was speaking at a news conference held to honour him being named the BBC's African Footballer of the Year.

Jay Jay Okocha insisted that his Nigerian team will be inspired by having to beat old rivals Cameroon in the African Nations Cup quarter-final on Sunday.