Giving credit to who credit is due

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti

Post by Gotti »

SylverEagles wrote: Mediocrity should not be applauded in any way.
Quite rich coming from someone who regularly applauds Onigbinde's "we were not disgraced" team on this forum!
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

Nobody is saying the NFA is perfect but if you are going to criticize them when they are not doing anything right then it is only fair to commend when they show improvement. That IMHO is the fair thing to do. With that said, the NFA still have a long way to go. Nobody is disputing that fact.
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

Gotti wrote:
Quite rich coming from someone who regularly applauds Onigbinde's "we were not disgraced" team on this forum!
uhn??? :?: :?: :? Since when did i do that??? Maybe u're mistaking me for someone else???
Infact my position was that Amodu should never have been sacked and Onigbinde should never have been SE coach.

Pls enlighten me on when i applauded Onigbinde's team?

The only positive i saw in that team was that it was young and could've been a foundation for the team to ANC 2004 and WC 2006.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

Gotti wrote:
Gotti, you act like you are surprised. :D
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The fact that the camp in Faro has 22 players, nearly two weeks after it was opened and just over three weeks to the ANC cannot be an achievement and a reason to give kudos to the NFA. You need to find something else. But keep trying, you might yet get there :mrgreen:
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

txj wrote:The fact that the camp in Faro has 22 players, nearly two weeks after it was opened and just over three weeks to the ANC cannot be an achievement and a reason to give kudos to the NFA. You need to find something else. But keep trying, you might yet get there :mrgreen:
I was in Nigeria during preparations for the ANC in 2002. In fact I lived about 15 minutes away from the camp in Otta. If you know the situation back then, you will appreciate the situation right now. That is all I have to say.
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Robbynice wrote: I was in Nigeria during preparations for the ANC in 2002. In fact I lived about 15 minutes away from the camp in Otta. If you know the situation back then, you will appreciate the situation right now. That is all I have to say.
ROBBY:
Don't worry, some of us still remember the debacle that was Otta: myriad players failing to show up, no transportation to convey players to-and-from training, no friendlies (not even scrimmages) until camp broke and the hotel threatening to throw out the players on account of the NFA's indebtedness.
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

Gotti wrote:
Robbynice wrote: I was in Nigeria during preparations for the ANC in 2002. In fact I lived about 15 minutes away from the camp in Otta. If you know the situation back then, you will appreciate the situation right now. That is all I have to say.
ROBBY:
Don't worry, some of us still remember the debacle that was Otta: myriad players failing to show up, no transportation to convey players to-and-from training, no friendlies (not even scrimmages) until camp broke and the hotel threatening to throw out the players on account of the NFA's indebtedness.
Gotti, please don’t remind me. Witnessing it pushed me to the point of almost crying. :cry: :( The situation might not be anything to write home about now but in comparism to the debacle that was the preparation towards ANC 2002; we have indeed come a long way.
daddyrich
Egg
Egg

Post by daddyrich »

azuka wrote:
Is it the woeful performance of the Falcon in the US that deserve praise?
I guess if Chukwu's team gets knocked out in the first round at the ANC, then he can be absolved of any blame because it would the fault of the NFA!

Hmm, that would also imply the NFA is responsible for Enyimba's success!!!
Baxter Onigbinde's second coming is the most disingenious stint ever in Nigerian coaching history.
azuka

Post by azuka »

I
guess if Chukwu's team gets knocked out in the first round at the ANC, then he can be absolved of any blame because it would the fault of the NFA!

Hmm, that would also imply the NFA is responsible for Enyimba's success!!!
Daddyrich,

Dont get me wrong, NFA is 100% responsible for the Falcons, the SE and all national teams unlike Enyimba which is owned by Imo State government. And mind you, i am not absolving Sam Okpodu of blame for the loss. Same thing i will not absolve CCC if the SE gets beaten black and blue in Tunisia. Whether you like it or not, the NFA has a part to play in the success and failure of the national teams. For instance, if CCC fails in Tunisia, i will hold NFA responsible for the shoddy interview process that fosted CCC on the SE among other reasons. As at when CCC was appointed as the SE coach, was he the best of the ICs available. I guess many will agree he is not.
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

Mr Gotti,
I'm still waiting for u to justify ur attack on my integrity and character with the accusation u made.
:? :? :?
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

There is a slight improvement with plenty of room for improvement.
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Well in our conutry when nothing is expected, anything done at all is an achievement. Why is our standard so low? Robby u did well to commend them and I can respect that!
...but with God all things are possible...
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Mr Ogunjobi also has no choice but to work hard as the minister is breathing down his neck right now; any mistake from here on will cost him is job. But he has done a lot of running around recently.
...but with God all things are possible...
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

SylverEagles wrote:Mr Gotti,
I'm still waiting for u to justify ur attack on my integrity and character with the accusation u made.
SLYVER:
I deliberately ignored you, but you persist. Therefore, with all due respect, I will preface this response by reminding you that one actually has to have "integrity" before it is purportedly attacked.

Some herein may harbor short memories, but I do not. I actually had to list virtually player-for-player the Onigbinde and Chukwu teams to show you that the only players from the Onigbinde World Cup squad (that you variously applauded) not invited for Eagles' games under Chukwu were those who had voluntarily (Shorunmu, West) or involuntarily (Adepoju) retired.

There is absolutely no "integrity" in running away from your public assertions or in disguising partisan polemics as principle.
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

...and btw, I dearly hope that you can distinguish between Onigbinde's team and the man himself.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Cheii Robby i can't believe you wrote this kaii? How could you be supporting an association that is full of career criminals? :evil: criminals that are nothing but a bunch of thieves and will only do anything to steal money at will.

Stop supporting this guys it is not right at all as you are saying it's okay to support mediocrity and nonsense while we continue to fall into abyss each day.

Robby, pls do not include among this crooks wey u dey greet ohh abeg... I can't be seen saluting them abeg ohhh.... no way... Plus i need to make the SE team in one peace.....
Last edited by MI5 on Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Giving credit to who credit is due

Post by Waffiman »

Robbynice wrote:I know the NFA, as an organization is nothing to write home about. In fact they as an incompetent, disorganized, and messed up as they come. With that said, it is time we commend them for the job they have done so far to ensure that Nigeria (like I expect) lifts the ANC trophy in Tunisia. As of today with over three weeks to the start of the ANC, we have 22 players in camp. That right there is a record by NFA standards. Secondly, we have been hearing the NFA chief Ogunjobi to be specific meeting with players, calling players’ clubs ensuring that they do their part as far as making sure players make it to camp. Thirdly and most importantly, the NFA have kept the streak of controversies going for the nations cup build up. As strange as this may sound, Nigeria’s preparation for any tournament especially the ANC is not complete without the controversies that goes on prior to the kickoff of the tournament proper. Yes, the NFA can do better and I am very optimistic that they will do better with our support and constructive criticism. However what they have done till date is worth acknowledging and I believe strongly that we should appreciate and commend them for a job well done.

Mr. Ogunjobi and members of the NFA, I want to on behalf on the members of the CE forum and myself commend you guys for a job well done till date. We know you guys can do better and we are hoping that you guys will do better. We have vowed to support your guys, as you are not representing yourselves but our dear country. 8)
Please do me a favour, you accept mediocrity, I don't. If you say what is going on at Faro is preparation for a major tournament with3 weeks to go, that is fine, it is your view, please do not include me in your congratulations to the NFA as a CE member. Ideally, my advice is speak for yourself.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

My Broders, I throway salut! (Robbynice, I see you...)

Make no mistake.

The ANC is a War for African Football Supremacy.
The NFA are the generals. The Players are our soldiers.

NOW either we rally together as one behind our Eagles and the NFA (Yes NFA), or we will fail again as individuals.

Comarades,

Now is a time for solidarity and not in-fighting.
Now is a time for Patriotism, and not tribalism (or any other kind of "ism")
Now is a time for consolidation and not destabilization.

Comarades,

Now is the time for Battle,
and from the battlefield of Tunis, shall rise but one nation!

Courage and faith willing, that Nation shall be our own Nigeria.

God bless Africa. God Bless Nigeria, God Bless the Super Eagles.

:lol: :lol:
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

Gotti wrote:
SylverEagles wrote:Mr Gotti,
SLYVER:
I deliberately ignored you, but you persist. Therefore, with all due respect, I will preface this response by reminding you that one actually has to have "integrity" before it is purportedly attacked.

Some herein may harbor short memories, but I do not. I actually had to list virtually player-for-player the Onigbinde and Chukwu teams to show you that the only players from the Onigbinde World Cup squad (that you variously applauded) not invited for Eagles' games under Chukwu were those who had voluntarily (Shorunmu, West) or involuntarily (Adepoju) retired.

There is absolutely no "integrity" in running away from your public assertions or in disguising partisan polemics as principle.
Mr. Gotti, True
I did not as much "applaud" that team but acknowledged that the team was/is a good team that a good coach would've probably done better with.
Now how does that translate to "applauding" mediocrity i ask as u asserted?? :?: :?:
Or r u saying that that was/is not SOME of the best players available then(bar Oliseh, Aiyegbeni)??

I just do not see how ur explanation above proves i "applauded Onigbinde's blah-blah-blah team" (only for u to reiterate it). :? :?

NB: My "name" is Sylver.... not Slyver.....geez why do everyone always get it wrong?? :evil: :evil: :x
Last edited by SylverEagles on Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

SYLVER:
For the last time, I said that you "applauded Onigbinde's team". I did not say that you "applauded Onigbide". That is a disparate distinction.

Dispensing with the semantics, if you continue to insist that (1) a team that finished dead last in its group, (2) finished third from last out of 32 teams in the entire competition, and (3) failed to score in games for the first time in Nigeria's World Cup finals participation (not once, but twice) -- each new lows for Nigeria -- is a good team, then I would contend that you are indeed "applauding" mediocrity.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, nonetheless!
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

I thought Aghawonder scored at least a goal in the JapaKore WC.
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

furiously frank wrote:I thought Aghawonder scored at least a goal in the JapaKore WC.
Please stir clear Waffleman's apparently contagious comprehension deficit: Nigeria failed to score IN A GAME for the first time ever in its WC finals history -- twice in Japan/Korea 2002!