Let me bring Ayo's question to the S.E.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

authority
Egg
Egg

Post by authority »

I think Cameroun had been playing together longer not that their coach is better than CCC. Becaues of this reason I am giving them the advantage to come up on top.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

I tell you guys one thing. The key man in this game is Seyi Olofinjana. Simple as that. He is the one whose job it is to contest the midfield battle. Although he is mainly on his own in there, JJ has gone out of his way to assist him in the last three games.

If Seyi can stem the tide of attacks launched from the cameroonian midfield and give the defence enogh time to regroup, then the game is ours to lose. As several people have observed, he our central defensive pair should match up to the Cameroonian attackers, but it is imperative that they keep concentration for the full 120 minutes (if that be the case).

As far as I am concerned, Seyi will have a question to answer on Sunday...is he good enough for international football.

I sure as hell hope he is.
To stop trying is to start dying
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Shownoja wrote:I tell you guys one thing. The key man in this game is Seyi Olofinjana. Simple as that. He is the one whose job it is to contest the midfield battle. Although he is mainly on his own in there, JJ has gone out of his way to assist him in the last three games.

If Seyi can stem the tide of attacks launched from the cameroonian midfield and give the defence enogh time to regroup, then the game is ours to lose. As several people have observed, he our central defensive pair should match up to the Cameroonian attackers, but it is imperative that they keep concentration for the full 120 minutes (if that be the case).

As far as I am concerned, Seyi will have a question to answer on Sunday...is he good enough for international football.

It is not good enough for JJ to be providing part time assistance. Seyi needs a FULL TIME colleague in there. Chukwu has got to play either Garba Lawal, Ifeanyi Ekwueme or Ikpe Ekong in there as well, so that the two enforcers canm form a partnership and allow JJ to do the damage further up the field.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Shownoja wrote:I tell you guys one thing. The key man in this game is Seyi Olofinjana. Simple as that. He is the one whose job it is to contest the midfield battle. Although he is mainly on his own in there, JJ has gone out of his way to assist him in the last three games.

But since we know he is not getting one, he will have to play a game and a half on Sunday. That is what I am saying. If he plays the way he played the second half agaist SA, no doubt he will win that batlle. In that game, he quietly sat in front of the back four in the second half and broke up so much SA play. That was the one time so far I havve seen him be an effective DM.

It is not good enough for JJ to be providing part time assistance. Seyi needs a FULL TIME colleague in there. Chukwu has got to play either Garba Lawal, Ifeanyi Ekwueme or Ikpe Ekong in there as well, so that the two enforcers canm form a partnership and allow JJ to do the damage further up the field.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

My view is we need to play a 5 mid-field with Seyi, Ekeweme and Lawal. I will play with the lone striker - Aghahowa or Osazee (has Osazee played as a lone striker before? I wish Yak was around) plus a solid base in midfield of Seyi, Ekeweme and Lawal, with Jay Jay and Utaka pulling the strings from Midfield.

I especially expect Utaka to link up with Aghahowa at all times, given the opportunity.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Somehow I think if we play 5 in midfield we might play into Cameroons hand. Though we will have bodies in there we will be open to the ball over the top, and with Mboma knocking them down for Etoo to run with, we might have a problem. It might be better to go with the 4-1-3-2 with one of the forward 2 dropping back a bit.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Shownoja wrote:Somehow I think if we play 5 in midfield we might play into Cameroons hand. Though we will have bodies in there we will be open to the ball over the top, and with Mboma knocking them down for Etoo to run with, we might have a problem. It might be better to go with the 4-1-3-2 with one of the forward 2 dropping back a bit.
Please help me out. How does playing five in midfield make the team vulnerable to the ball over the top? Dis your logic na wa o!

This compares with Pa Jimoh's assettion once that Agali should be played as a playmaker. CE is a wonderful place to be!
Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

Ayo, watch the Foe Memorial game and see how Tchato and Atouba combined well in the left flank. Is Schaeffer use the same tactics he used in that game, Nigeria will be history. He still played the 4-4-2, but with a more offensive approach, and Mbami was spraying passes at will, while Tchato and Atouba combined well in the left wing and sending dangerous passes. Also Remember that one of Mboma's goal against Zimbabwe was from a cross from Atouba.
"History shows that this club has had very few strikers like him. I do not know if there has ever been anyone like him before. What I do know is that Barcelona should erect a statue for him. Samuel was a fundamental player here in recent years and was key to all of the titles that the team won."

Andres Iniesta, August 2009
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Rogermilla wrote:Ayo, watch the Foe Memorial game and see how Tchato and Atouba combined well in the left flank. Is Schaeffer use the same tactics he used in that game, Nigeria will be history. He still played the 4-4-2, but with a more offensive approach, and Mbami was spraying passes at will, while Tchato and Atouba combined well in the left wing and sending dangerous passes. Also Remember that one of Mboma's goal against Zimbabwe was from a cross from Atouba.
I suppose Schaffer might try it. Why do you think he played Idrissou instead of Atouba in the first game, however?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Nigeria and Cameroon will both play the 4-4-2. The difference will be in the assignment of roles. Better coached or not, more organized or not, if the Cameroonians are unable to hold the line and make the counterattacking game pay, Nigeria's superior technique could prevail.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

I've watched Cameroun so far,and am hardly impressed.The defence is not up to the usual standard,Kameni is average,there is no game turning midfielder,and if Mboma doesn't score(or assist)Cameroun doesn't put the ball in the net,and of course,someone needs to tell Eto'o fancy footwork will not win him the Cup or the APOY award.Cameroun's only strength is that they have a strong-willed team that is usually determined.
Nigeria came in without much of a preparation,AND HAS ACTUALLY USED THE GROUP MATCHES AS FRIENDLIES to be ready for this stage.Witness how the Eagles have progressively gotten better with each match.Enyeama is efficient and confident,the defence has rounded into shape,the midfield beefed by Lawal is raising their game,while I doubt if Cameroun can ever prepare for the magic of Okocha,the sublime skills of Kanu,the total package of Utaka,the wizard dribbles of Ikedia,the precision of Osaze,and the unabated hunger of Aghahowa for goals.Sunday will mark the beginning of another era for the Super Eagles and the epitaph for a once great Cameroun Lions.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"