BENIN PLAYER DROPPED BECAUSE OF NIGERIA CONNECTION!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
BENIN PLAYER DROPPED BECAUSE OF NIGERIA CONNECTION!

Post by wiseone »

I wondered why Enyimba's Muri Ogunbiyi did not start the game against Nigeria and didn't get a full 90 mins to face off against his Enyimba teammate Vincent Enyeama.

http://thisdayonline.com/sport/20040206spo06.html

Dateline: 06/02/2004 05:24:48

Muri Axed for Nigeria Connection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Squirrels of the Republic of Benin's mercurial midfielder, Muri Ogunbiyi, came off the reserve bench late into the game against Nigeria on Wednesday as a punishment for talking to his Nigerian teammate in Enyimba FC of Aba, Vincent Enyeama.

Ogunbiyi said shortly after the match that his officials caught him speaking to Enyeama - the Super Eagles' goalie on phone a day to the crucial encounter and wrongly concluded that he was a threat to Benin's ambition of winning the match.

He said he had a face-off with the officials and was kept on the bench half-way through the second stanza as a result, which affected his game when he came on.

Though the player did not realise his avowed ambition to score against Nigeria, he nonetheless remained grateful at the scoreline and particularly that another Nigerian bred, Musa Latoundji notched up the goal that scared Nigeria.

Ogunbiyi was also happy that his experience in the tournament was worth the while as several clubs from France, Germany and Turkey expressed interest in him and have made preliminary contact.

"For now, I am going back to my club (Enyimba) as the team is already in camp preparatory for the Super Cup against Etoile du Sahel and the Premier League. If there is any further development from the clubs, I will grab it," he said
leftee
Egg
Egg

Post by leftee »

Na waOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
"If You Need a Helping Hand, You'll Find One at the End of Your Arm"