Nigeria Fifth Striker: The Truth

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Football Manager
Egg
Egg
Nigeria Fifth Striker: The Truth

Post by Football Manager »

I am not someone that is easily moved by pettiness, greed, deceit and above all media make-believe. For some time now we have raised issues about our strikers. Many here believes that JAG, Kanu, Aiyegbeni and Agali has made us proud in the past and as such should be given another opportunity moreso that they are still playing top flight football. However, a very vocal, fierce and difficult few believe that the best Nigeria striker is a player who has never played for Nigeria and whom there has been no history of any past club or clubs played for in Nigeria as a youth when the Nigeria Football Association issued an International Transfer Certificate to the Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio (the Italian Football Federation) for his registration with the later. This IMHO was done in error because some of us here know that he has played some amateur football before going to Italy. This was to enable him have a new identity and for any future club not to help in the development of Nigeria football as stipulated in the FIFA statutes and other relevant regulations.

What I presented in a previous post is still valid vis-à-vis
Football Manager wrote:Let me be quick to add that we already have four strikers namely JAG, Aiyegbeni, Agali and Kanu. They must NOW pick one more striker from among Bartho, Martins, Utaka and anybody that may gatecrash at the last minute.
This was from subject Ogunjobi to meet Agali viewtopic.php?t=37&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
and I want the honourable CE house to know that the recent media coverage by Obafemi Martins is not surprising. It is rather sad that Obagoal wants to be Nigeria first striker with no fight for shirt.

Within our house here are some highlights, which are not exhaustive but just a way of drawing attention to him
Enugu II wrote:Here is a tough decision that I think is looming for CCC and his crew. Suppose Martin arrives in camp January 14 or thereafter, should he make the final squad going into Tunis?

I ask the above considering that Martins is clearly having a super year and that is recognized by his high rating by analysts. However, he has not done a thing in the green and white of Nigeria. Also note that Nigeria must submit its squad list to CAF by January 14. Should Martins be simply included in the squad? Should he get the same benefit as established SE stars like Okocha, Yobo, and Kanu? Should he get a spot at the expense of some of the players who surely will be waived by that date? THIS IN MY OPINION WILL BE CCC'S TOUGHEST DECISION AND IT IS LOOMING.
viewtopic.php?t=265

This quote of course brought some serious arguments. Again Martins is achieving his objective by these arguments. Here are some members response to EII
Omey2k4: If Martins makes the squad CCC is useless!He shouldnt make that squad,the boy should stay his at Inter he is overhyped anyways.
Ijapa: Has everyone forgotten that this boy may not want to play in the ANC?
IAG: The fact that Martins is a big unknown factor in the GWG warrants him to be left out completely. Remember how Peter Ijeh was tounted to be the next great Nigerian striker, only for him to flop badly when called upon.

However, Sir V, Anikulapo and Chopeski appeared to be making good raves for Martins.

Very interesting is this quote
Baii wrote: Why wait to see. Lets go to Milan and drag Martins to camp. Then and only then will it make sense
viewtopic.php?t=106&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
In the same token here is another quote
Anikulapo wrote: If Chukwu was crazy enough to try and start YAK over Martins, YAK himself would slap Chukwu for being stupid
Finally Bigpokey24 came with his AIT version of event viewtopic.php?t=365: Obafemi martins was on AIT today making it clear he will not play at the Tunisa 04 ANC, but will participate at Athens 04 and WC06 qualifiers. He said Nigeria has a lot of talents to do without him, and doesn't feel he is ready for SE yet.
Mister Dolly has no choice, I think, than to spit out his venon as can be inferred in this quote
mister dolly wrote:If this report is true, I have a feeling Martins still won't be ready when the 2006 WC qualifiers come around in a few months time....and for him to want to play in Athens should we qualify and not in the qualifiers is a big slap on the face of the players who are fighting for qualification now..

I mean what difference will four extra months make in his career to now chandge the status of his readiness for the SE later this year..

Martins can go suck on an Inter lemon for all I care. :x
Distinguished members of this great CE family and honourable guests, it is high time we accept the truth that we already have four strikers as initially stated and Martins is only using sentiments to get that last spot ahead of Utaka, Bartho, and other gatecrashers if any, by making some Nigerian lovers of European Football have sleepless night. This I believe is mainly due to the fact that they see him play well at club level and they felt he will do the same at a top level, playing for Nigeria. If he wants to play for Italy, we will wish him well. He may have 2 caps like Fash or may have more caps than Olisadebe.
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

FM:

Frankly, it will happen if he decides to call the FA and ask to arrive after the day the squad list would have been submitted. In such a case, do not be surprised that his name is included in the list of 22 WITHOUT kicking a ball in camp.

My take is that this guy arrives camp like every one else or the FA should demand a FIFA sanction on him. That will be the only way to go. The alternative is that he may show up late and walk into the squad or fail to show at all.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Enugu II wrote:FM:

Frankly, it will happen if he decides to call the FA and ask to arrive after the day the squad list would have been submitted. In such a case, do not be surprised that his name is included in the list of 22 WITHOUT kicking a ball in camp.

My take is that this guy arrives camp like every one else or the FA should demand a FIFA sanction on him. That will be the only way to go. The alternative is that he may show up late and walk into the squad or fail to show at all.
I stronly believe he will be in camp by next week.
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

Sir V:

I hope that he will. I frankly believe that this will be the ultimate test for CCC and the NFA. It is that simple.
Elexus
Egg
Egg

Post by Elexus »

Obafemi unsure and Babangida axed

Nigeria insist on Obafemi Martins despite the refusal of his Italian club – Inter Milan to free him for national assignments just as ‘rebelling’ Haruna Babangida may have been tacitly eased out of the U-23 team.

Nigeria Football Association (NFA) Secretary General, Taiwo Ogunjobi told www.kickoffnigeria.com that a fresh request for the dreaded striker was sent to Inter Milan copying FIFA to underline Nigeria’s determination to have him for the Olympic qualifier against Egypt on Sunday.

He said NFA was driven to inform FIFA about the imbroglio as Inter continued to claim that the qualifier was not a FIFA organized match and thus could not be compelled to release the Nigerian.

“I am confident that he will be in Cairo latest by Wednesday or Thursday for the match after his club’s UEFA game away to Moscow. We have notified FIFA,” Ogunjobi said.

But Coach Musa Abdullahi told www.kickoffnigeria.com that his personal efforts to reach the ebony 18-year attacker came to naught as his calls either end up on the answering machines or never got picked.

And not withstanding that Musa left Lagos with only 15 home-based players, he declined to look the way of Haruna Babangida who also left for Spain – his base – just as Musa and his wards departed for Cairo on Monday night.

The darting winger for the Catalan club (Barcelona) told www.kickoffnigeria.com that he was not selected for the Cairo trip though he would have loved to play in the match.

“Nobody told me anything either to go with them or join them in Cairo, so I have to go back to my club,” he said.

But Coach Musa defended and said he wants to give equal opportunities to other players who have not been tested and added that Babangida was not been punished for walking-out on him when he was substituted in a match in All Africa Games.

Uche Kalu was also doubtful for the game as Musa confirmed that the player headed back to base to sort out his lingering Ajax transfer tussle with his Ukrainian club.

His invitation was delivered to him personally as NFA got confused on where to route the letter.

Posted on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 15:16
NFA drag Inter to Fifa

The NFA have warned Italian club Inter Milan they will ask world soccer governing body Fifa to order them to release striker Obafemi Martins for a 2004 Olympics qualifier in Egypt if they continue to refuse their request for the player.

"Inter are playing games with us over Obafemi and we will not take it any longer from them," said a very determined NFA scribe Taiwo Ogunjobi.

"This is the third time we have asked for the player's release and on all occasions they have refused us for one excuse or the other."

Ogunjobi added: "We first asked for the player in June before our first match against Namibia and they replied by saying he was injured and then for the All Africa Games, they again refused to release him after they had agreed to do so.”

"But they have made a big mistake this time by saying the match in Egypt is not a Fifa game and we have therefore written back to them that it is and if they don't play ball with us this time we have no option than to take the matter to Fifa."

Martins has yet to feature for any of the country's teams after he burst onto the scene last season while starring for Inter in both the league and the Uefa Champion League.

Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 13:48
Martins for Tunisia

Inter Milan rising star Obafemi Martins has finally given his word to NFA scribe Taiwo Ogunjobi that he will join the Super Eagles in Tunisia for the African Cup of Nations.

"I had very fruitful discussions with Martins in Italy and he has agreed to join the team in Tunisia for the Nations Cup," Ogunjobi told www.kickoffnigeriua.com.

"We have, however, agreed that he will not be part of the team's training camp in Portugal."

www.kickoffnigeria.com had exclusively revealed that the Inter shooting star will skip the training camp in Portugal.

The 19-year-old striker, who has banged in five goals thus far this season, has yet to be capped at any level by Nigeria.

Ogunjobi was in Europe this week to talk with several of the country's top stars. He was in England where he talked with skipper Austin 'Jay Jay' Okocha and Nwankwo Kanu while in France he was in touch with Bartholomew Ogbeche and John Utaka.

However, he could not reach Schalke 04 striker Victor Agali at his German base and so doubts about the player's availability for the Nations Cup remain.

Posted on Friday, December 19, 2003 - 8:35
Can we truly say that it is his decision in view of the above references cited. Inter Milan, his agent or his family may be responsible for this. Inter have been playing hard ball with NFA for some time now. I honestly do not think it is his free independent decision not to honour this call up. I am really surprised though.
Football Manager
Egg
Egg

EII and Sir V, Yes I know he wants to play but his methods of approaching automatic shirt is antediluvian. I received a personal message from a personal friend of mine (not a member of this forum) that the NFA is making all efforts to respect his club (Inter) by allowing him some play time during the ANC and also to bring in Utaka and Bartho in the wings (as midfielders). That way they will accommodate those names in my list. Lets just hope our midfield is not infiltrated with potential strikers who may not be able to serve as reasonal backups.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Football Manager,

As long as a player has a good reason for turning up a few days late at the camp e.g. Premiership boys and he has informed the coaching crew of his movements/availability, then there is no problem.

I don't have no problem or see no problem with Martins turning up for example on the 14th or 15th and still feature in the ANC as long as he has permission to come late.

Unfortunately, that is not the point, the boy is putting his club above country.

Martins is not using any methods of approaching automatic shirt in my opinion.

If Martins turns up in Tunisia, I believe he should start and occupy our top striker position or play some part but not sure whether he would.
Elexus
Egg
Egg

Post by Elexus »

Does that mean they will be flying him in and out of Tunisia to play for Inter during the ANC?
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Elexus wrote:Does that mean they will be flying him in and out of Tunisia to play for Inter during the ANC?
Good question.

Too much has already being said about Martins. I don't quite understand what FT is trying to highlight in this post.
mouko
Egg
Egg

Post by mouko »

Football Manager wrote:EII and Sir V, Yes I know he wants to play but his methods of approaching automatic shirt is antediluvian. I received a personal message from a personal friend of mine (not a member of this forum) that the NFA is making all efforts to respect his club (Inter) by allowing him some play time during the ANC and also to bring in Utaka and Bartho in the wings (as midfielders). That way they will accommodate those names in my list. Lets just hope our midfield is not infiltrated with potential strikers who may not be able to serve as reasonal backups.
You mean he would have to shuttle between Tunisia and Milan during the ANC?........ Talk of giving teeth to chickens. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If Sex and Money can't do it, Forget About It.
01.06.1955 Ghana 7-0 Nigeria International @Kwabena
Football Manager
Egg
Egg

Larry Ashagbe wrote:Football Manager,

As long as a player has a good reason for turning up a few days late at the camp e.g. Premiership boys and he has informed the coaching crew of his movements/availability, then there is no problem.

I don't have no problem or see no problem with Martins turning up for example on the 14th or 15th and still feature in the ANC as long as he has permission to come late.

Unfortunately, that is not the point, the boy is putting his club above country.

Martins is not using any methods of approaching automatic shirt in my opinion.

If Martins turns up in Tunisia, I believe he should start and occupy our top striker position or play some part but not sure whether he would.
Larry,
You unknowingly answered the question of automatic shirt by saying you do not have any problem for him to be there by 15th. By that date it means if he is in the squad he has been given an automatic shirt.

Also I am surprised to read your post that he should be our top striker with no pedigree of success at the senior or junior team.

I can tell that Martins is playing a game to be the first striker and to start the first specifically. As one fairly versed with FIFA operations regarding players, clubs and their FAs, Martins has no choice but to accept the invitation. The alternative is beyond comprehension which my not be good for his football.
Football Manager
Egg
Egg

mouko wrote:
Football Manager wrote:EII and Sir V, Yes I know he wants to play but his methods of approaching automatic shirt is antediluvian. I received a personal message from a personal friend of mine (not a member of this forum) that the NFA is making all efforts to respect his club (Inter) by allowing him some play time during the ANC and also to bring in Utaka and Bartho in the wings (as midfielders). That way they will accommodate those names in my list. Lets just hope our midfield is not infiltrated with potential strikers who may not be able to serve as reasonal backups.
You mean he would have to shuttle between Tunisia and Milan during the ANC?........ Talk of giving teeth to chickens. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your comments appeared to be very naive.
Football Manager
Egg
Egg

Just read this message below posted on another thread.
nemi2002 wrote:Martins just confirmed on Brilla FM this afternoon that he would be in Tunisia for the ANC, but he is jetting out to Italy this night.

With regards to the possibility of martins trying to remove the pressure on himself, I feel his tactics will have the opposite effect. I hope he doesn't turn out to be another Jonathan Akpoborie.
osouromi
Egg
Egg

Post by osouromi »

If Martin refused to report to camp, he should be history untill the next Nations cup in 2006. He must play in nations cup first before any other cup Our Great Country is participating.

This show that most of us are so timid, uneducated and with God given talent to get to the very top, we cannot still defend ourselves. that is Martin. He should know that Pele and co were 17 years when they landed at the World Cup.

Forget about Martin and pray for those in camp.