Obasanjo Reassures JJ On His Trapped Funds

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Shownoja
Egg
Egg
Obasanjo Reassures JJ On His Trapped Funds

Post by Shownoja »

http://www.punchng.com/main/article02

President Olusegun Obasanjo on Saturday responded to his critics saying criticisms from those he labelled bile critics do not bother him.

Speaking on his monthly radio programme from his farm in Ota, Ogun State, Obasanjo said critics should always be ignored by the people.

He stressed that in a democracy, free speech along with objective and positive criticisms, would help government in the execution of its programmes and that his administration would not muzzle this right.

The president's reaction followed a call from one Aminu Maude from Zaria, Kaduna State, who had pleaded with Obasanjo to disregard the open letter sent to him by a one-time military governor of Kaduna State, Col. Abubakar Umar, because it was in bad taste.

“These things don't bother me at all,” Obasanjo said, noting that although criticisms were necessary in a democratic setting, those ready to criticise must do so constructively.

“Self-serving, selfish and ego-centric criticisms from those I call bile critics, should be disregarded with all the seriousness that it deserves,” the president said.

“We know we will get them (criticisms).

“Those who were getting easy money before and were used to false living are a handful few and will continue to criticise us, but we remain undeterred,” he added.

He described such critics as a vocal minority who would continue to criticise “unfairly and unjustly”, but that his administration would remain focussed in what it believed was right and beneficial to the majority of Nigerians.

The president said he was only interested in “how much we are affecting the lives of other ordinary Nigerians,” and that his government was elected to serve all Nigerians and not just a small section of the populace.

Speaking on his projection for 2004, Obasanjo said government would focus on the six areas that it had identified, including oil and gas, industry, agriculture and tourism, adding that greater focus would be put on the reform agenda.

He said government's National Economic Empowerment Development Strategy (NEEDS), would be formally launched soon and that the privatisation programme under which some parastatals would be “liquidated”, would be pursued with more vigour.

He said the fight against fake drugs had boosted development and capacity utilisation in the pharmaceutical industry by about 75 per cent and that some neigbouring countries were already asking the country to produce some of their drugs.

Obasanjo said government had procured a large stock of foodstuffs for its buffer stock and that his target was to have about half-a-million tonnes of foodstuffs in the next two years.

This, he said, was to counter any incidence of drought or loss of crops by farmers.

He said the availability of food and its affordability by the populace was his target for a true food security, stressing that he was optimistic that the target would be attained.

Speaking on the distress in the banking sector, a situation that had affected the captain of the national football team, Obasanjo said he had asked the CBN governor to write to “Jay Jay” Okocha and reassure him on his trapped funds.

Okocha has about one million dollars trapped in one of Nigeria's troubled banks.

Sunday Punch, February 8, 2004
To stop trying is to start dying
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

"Re-assure him on his trapped funds" ?

What does this mean , re-assure that indeed somebody has "wacked" his money and he shoud just go back to Bolton and work harder or what..

This Okocha business will scare of a lot people from putting money in Naija so they better sort this mess out
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Nigeria is a funny country. I dont know off the top of my head another country where the president mandates the governor of the central bank to assure an individual who lost his investment in a distressed bank.

Note, there is no suggestion at this time that SGBN went down due to fraud, just bad management.

Hopefully, CBN will continue with their rescue efforts and the planned consortium of some of the big banks will take over SGBN.
To stop trying is to start dying
bigtruth
Egg
Egg

Post by bigtruth »

Why the special treatment? what about others who have equally lost or have their money trapped in troubled banks? are they not important? How can this goverment expect people to come back home and invest when they know that people are not treated equally.
It Is Well.

Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

so his money is not lost....it is just trapped...
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie
oni-wc2002
Egg
Egg

Post by oni-wc2002 »

bigtruth wrote:Why the special treatment? what about others who have equally lost or have their money trapped in troubled banks? are they not important? How can this goverment expect people to come back home and invest when they know that people are not treated equally.
Bonehead, 'cos he is the HERO of over 150,000,000 Nigerians. You can also call him the COMMANDER IN CHIEF of Nigeria football force.
Actually I believe that that OBJ should deliver the letter personally- for a guy(obj) that enjoys travelling that won't be a problem.
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

I tought their is always separation of powers in democracy, but in the case of Naija or in this case OBJ,dictatorship is the name of the game.
who no know go know.