Supposing Martins Don't Go ANC And Still Can't Get A Game

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

Waffiman , Nigeria has done a lot for Martins. His parents and siblings live in nigeria . He went to school in Naija . He started his career in Naija. Maybe they should move to Rwanda or Liberia and ask that question.
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Waffiman and Gooner 1:

Foe the records, Nigeria IS NOT SYNONYMOUS with NFA. When a player refuses to play for Nigeria, re refuses to play for you, me and everyone else, including the sick children who are soccer fans and our relatives. What has Nigeria done for them? At least most of us got and are still getting tuition-free education. Nigeria trained our fathers and sent many of them abroad, and most of us are a product of that training.

So what if Okocha and Kanu with their million dollar contracts sustain career-ending injuries while playing for Nigeria? Priorities, my dear brothers.
Oga Sir, I hear you. However, he has not said he will not play for Nigeria, he has said he will not play in this ANC because he has to solidify his place in his club and does not feel he is ready yet.

The guy is under too much presure and it is unfair. Knowing the track record of the NFA and their hap-hazard way of doing things, Martins can show up, not perform and be banished to the reserves of Inter. We will all move on and leave the guy to rot by forgetting about him. He will not even get a 'phone call from the NFA to ask how he is doing.

I know because this has been the plight of many a Nigerian player, our players have been injured playing, they did not get any support from the NFA, they had to take of themselves.

Also, if I were Martins, as a young man I will seriously cosider playing for the current SE set up. It really does not inspire confidence.

I really cannot blame Martins, timing is everything in football, if the guy feels it is not yet his time I respect it.

The bottomline is the NFA will make the final decision.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I had always favored that we take the long road with Martins, and I still do. But a national invitation is an honor and should not be toyed with. Martins can therefore not pick and choose when to play for Nigeria. But having said all this, I still favor the option of talking things through, which appears to be what is going on. However, if push comes to shove, the NFA must apply the stick here or it will be setting a very dangerous precedence.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

If if if..... The boy is trying to do what he feels it's right based on the situation developing at Inter at the moment. He's just breaking into a squad full of quality strikers and still more to come. You want him to pack his bags and go away for 4 weeks.

I still don't understand why he's been called a traitor? The guy must have prayed, sweated, begged, worked his socks off for the chance of being in the first team. He's finally breaking through. He can see the array of strickers at the SE disposal and knows they can do without him for now. If we say anything else would be disrespecting our other strickers.

The boy in untested at international level, even though i know he's capable. I would rather he establish himself at club level then international than to play at the ANC and then back to youth football or warming the bench.

We cannot go for short term gain. We should be understanding about this. Nothing guarantees that if Martin plays, we would win the Nations Cup.

Lets be understanding about this and let the boy make his own decisions. It cannot be easy for a young black guy, keeping those expensive stars on the bench. We must be supportive.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Martins just confirmed on Brila FM that he would be representing Nigeria at the ANC in Tunisia, but he is jetting back to Italy tonight.
Last edited by nemi2002 on Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

charlie,

Well said.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

PaJimoh wrote:If if if..... The boy is trying to do what he feels it's right based on the situation developing at Inter at the moment. He's just breaking into a squad full of quality strikers and still more to come. You want him to pack his bags and go away for 4 weeks.

I still don't understand why he's been called a traitor? The guy must have prayed, sweated, begged, worked his socks off for the chance of being in the first team. He's finally breaking through. He can see the array of strickers at the SE disposal and knows they can do without him for now. If we say anything else would be disrespecting our other strickers.

The boy in untested at international level, even though i know he's capable. I would rather he establish himself at club level then international than to play at the ANC and then back to youth football or warming the bench.

We cannot go for short term gain. We should be understanding about this. Nothing guarantees that if Martin plays, we would win the Nations Cup.

Lets be understanding about this and let the boy make his own decisions. It cannot be easy for a young black guy, keeping those expensive stars on the bench. We must be supportive.
I hear this matter is now in FIFA's hands, so NFA will get Martins for the ANC. Blatter will not take nonsense from European clubs, his language of late towards Manure and the Big European clubs means they cannot mess with him.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

nemi2002,

Where did you get this news from?

Are you Nigerian based?

Thanks for the update.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

For what it is worth, there are some dark clouds on the horizon for Obafemi Martins. Despite his immense talent, Inter are looking to sign Adriano in the Jan window.

This means even more now that Martins will get less starting opportunities and that Inter are looking elsewhere for the sol'n to their attack.

Martins needs to understand his worth. The ANC will be a perfect stage for him!
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Football Manager
Egg
Egg

Post by Football Manager »

Lagos777, You are right. The NFA even helped in to get a new identity for those who don't know.

Yujam,
Martins does not sell in Italy.

on FIFA Rules: Just to reecho that the NFA will not press any formal charge against Martins if he refused to show up. I have always argued he is playing a game to be regarded as Nigeria best striker and to specifically start Nigeria first game.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Football Manager wrote:Lagos777, You are right. The NFA even helped in to get a new identity for those who don't know.
Please clarify the new identity.

Did NFA help a player get a new identity?
Football Manager
Egg
Egg

Post by Football Manager »

Larry Ashagbe wrote:
Football Manager wrote:Lagos777, You are right. The NFA even helped in to get a new identity for those who don't know.
Please clarify the new identity.

Did NFA help a player get a new identity?
The NFA stated in his ITC that he has never played Amatuer Football in Nigeria. That way his previous identity with the NFA was covered and a new one presented to the Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio. Have I made myself very clear?
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

We all just need to take a chill pill; why is an 18 year old boy prank got y'all riled up? I 'll hold my fire until the ANC, and ofcourse he doesn't have to play if he feels he's not yet ready. Nigerians are about now! To hell with the long term. Let the boy do what he feel best instead of making it an imperative that he entertain us in Tunisia.

His position at Inter is dicey and he better protects it; If that involves him staying away, then he should. Our performance in ANC will only be slightly influenced by Martins absence or presence.
...but with God all things are possible...
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Football Manager,

No, you have not made yourelf clear.

If it is something you cannot discuss on the Forum, pls PM me.
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

I do, however, hopes that the Brila news report is true! But is not mandatory that he features at the ANC against his own wishes so that he's not branded a traitor.
...but with God all things are possible...
Pemba
Egg
Egg

Post by Pemba »

The NFA in principle should not put pressure on Martins to play for the SE especially when he is only a newcomer to Inter. BUT at the same time Martins should realize that he stands to gain a LOT more by playing for the SE at the ANC. After all, international exposure will make him a whole lot more valuable than club football.

Martins should do well to look at the fate of Mohammed Kallon at Inter Milan. While he dazzled during 2001/2002 (with 15 goals) he has yet to win a permanent starting spot on the team.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Big mistake by Martins and will possibly regret it.
senator
Egg
Egg

Post by senator »

I still dont get his reason for not wishing to join the camp but all the same i think he will get a game in the ANC if he decides to go for the tourney, and the truth is that based on what we have seen he will perform well.
''Watching United today was like watching your woman with another man. They were where we should have been, doing exactly what we should have been doing, and deep inside you know they were doing it better than we ever have.'' __Arsenal Fan after watching Man Utd defeat Roma 7-1 10/04/07

mouko wrote:
''Going by this list Nigeria would survive if they can score more than they would concede.''
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

Somebody:

Just interested in that question of yours i think i have an answer to it.
Why do we struggle to live when we are still going to die anyway?
The answer is so that we can die.
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga
Okochadman2Nas
Egg
Egg

Post by Okochadman2Nas »

martins will go to the nations cup, make una no worry the guy don tell me
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Disorganisation or no disorganisation, martins owes it a duty to play for his country after all Inter is not the only club in the world. if he plays well in the ANC, he is improving his chances of getting a better move to a better club willing to give him better playing time. most importantly, he is not playing for the NFA but for 120 million Nigerians.
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

Larry Ashagbe wrote:Big mistake by Martins and will possibly regret it.
Larry are you speaking english ? Is this a riddle ?
Bell

Post by Bell »

I'M BEGINNING TO THINK MARTINS SHOULD NOT GO TO TUNISIA, CERTAINLY...

...not against his wishes. I hate to think what (and I hope it doesn't happen) people would say if he gets injured. The NFA should pull back and let him make an independent decision.
Bell