French player of the year is not Zidane....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

omonaija
Egg
Egg
French player of the year is not Zidane....

Post by omonaija »

Henry voted French Player of the Year

PARIS (AP) -- Arsenal striker Thierry Henry has been voted French Player of the Year for 2003 by France Football Magazine, the publication announced in its Tuesday edition.

Henry collected 162 points, edging France teammates Zinedine Zidane, who finished second with 129 points and Ludovic Giuly, third with 67 points.

"It's a nice feeling to finish ahead of Zidane and also to be recognized by so many former players," Henry told France Football Magazine. He previously won the award in 2000.

The judging panel is comprised of soccer players who formerly won the award, including the likes of former midfielder Michel Platini and prolific striker Jean-Pierre Papin -- both of whom voted for Henry.

"To know that they appreciate what I am doing is a great feeling, they remain big names in soccer," Henry added.

Henry, 26, had finished second to Zidane in the World Player of the Year award and runner-up to Pavel Nedved of Juventus in the Golden Ball award recently.

He has had a tremendous year for both France and Arsenal. In 2003, Henry scored 42 goals in 64 matches, including 25 league goals for Arsenal.

In just 14 matches for Les Bleus, Henry scored 11 goals and provided eight assists -- helping France win the Confederations Cup and qualify for next summer's European Championships with a perfect record.

"I get just as much pleasure out of setting up a goal as I do scoring," he said. "The goalscorer is nothing without the guy who passes to him."

Copyright 2003 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
To God be the glory....New Year 2024! Seek him first and all other things shall be added!Thus saith the Lord!
omonaija
Egg
Egg

Post by omonaija »

How come zidane come win the world best player when Henry dey there! I guess there are so many coaches in europe that doesn't like Arsenal players. I bet Arsene Wenger double voted for his boy! oma se o :(
To God be the glory....New Year 2024! Seek him first and all other things shall be added!Thus saith the Lord!
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

HENRY WINNING: IT THEREFORE SHOWS HOW BIAS THOSE FIFA SELECTORS ARE... I THINK, THOSE EUROPIAN COACHES BELEIVES THE AWARD BELONGS TO ITALY AND SPANISH PLAYERS ALONE.

BUT WAIT A MINUTE, ARE AFRICAN COACHES ALLOW TO VOTE TOO?
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

True talk dat....Real Madrid players just need to stay alive to be in contention for the World Player of the year....One of these days, one of the Real players will pick up a cruciate ligament damage in Jan, be inactive to 9 months and still pick up the award in Dec. Rubbish.

Q
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

I must say, well deserved too. I think he was screwed politically to the race for the WPOTY title. The french have in some way right the wrong
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Congrats to Henry
omonaija
Egg
Egg

Post by omonaija »

I just still don't know the criateria used for selecting the world player of the year because if is based on what I have seen on TV, I will give it to Henry. I see every weekend some Real madrid matches on GOLTV and I never thought Zidane could ever win the WPOTY title. Imagine the work rate of Ronaldo or Beckham in that Madrid team, I would rather them win the WPOTY title to zinedine Zidane.
Fourteen
Egg
Egg

Post by Fourteen »

He deserves some recognition of his hard work and improvement at arsenal - Congrats to the boy.
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

I think its funny to see that the best player in the world is not the best player for his country.
But that is fooptball for you.
it all depends on who is doing the voting and what they are looking out for
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

VINDAVE wrote:HENRY WINNING: IT THEREFORE SHOWS HOW BIAS THOSE FIFA SELECTORS ARE... I THINK, THOSE EUROPIAN COACHES BELEIVES THE AWARD BELONGS TO ITALY AND SPANISH PLAYERS ALONE.

BUT WAIT A MINUTE, ARE AFRICAN COACHES ALLOW TO VOTE TOO?
The thing wey I nor like about the WPOY voting na the European bias. I watch South American football late at night here. I have seen players like Tavers, Diego, Alex e.t.c. and IMHO they deserve to be there ahead of some of the players in the top ten like Becham.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

I read L'equipe in November and they analyzed how Henry was by far the best French player of the year 2003. He scored more gaols than any French man, he had more assist than any other player and he played all the matches involving France in 2003 (the only player to do that).
The WPOY award to Zidane was a complete disgrace to football. The voting system was a joke and Gatusso said so. Imagine one coach even voted Gatuso as his best for 2003!
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
living
Egg
Egg

Post by living »

Actually there is no dispuite that Henry ought to be the WPOY it was just a pity that the award has been so dragged through the mud, Well Henry congrats
Things might come to those who wait but only those things left behind by those who hustle-Abraham Lincoln
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

After getting 2nd twice,finally he gets one prize...he deserves it. :D
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Well deserved Henry.
who no know go know.
torontoeagle
Egg
Egg

Post by torontoeagle »

French player of the year should be me........afterall i speak french fluently

On a serious note...................congratulations Henry
T-Dot
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

ikwerreman wrote:I think its funny to see that the best player in the world is not the best player for his country.
But that is fooptball for you.
it all depends on who is doing the voting and what they are looking out for

Ikwereman:

It happened to Diouf in 2003. He won the AFOY but did not win the top place in SEnegal.
omonaija
Egg
Egg

Post by omonaija »

I just kinda realise that there is no award that can be more scrutinizing like the American Academy award (gloden globe awards). I guess anybody could have won the WPOTY title, it is just like the american coaches top 25 in College basketball and football...that is bullshit to me.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Zidane may be one of the most gifted players of his generation, but when it comes to the WFOY, it ought to have gone to henry.