Tunisia 2004: All the Teams

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

VINDAVE
Tunisia 2004: All the Teams

Post by VINDAVE »

Tunisia 2004: All the qualifiers

Profiles of the 16 finalist teams who have qualified for next year's African Nations Cup finals in Tunisia.

ALGERIA
Winners 1990; Runner-up 1980. Qualified 13 times. Rabah Saadane has just taken charge of the team after the resignation of Belgian George Leekens, who resigned after the completion of the qualifying series. Algeria have not been able to replicate the heights achieved two decades ago but are increasingly adding French-born players of Algerian extraction to strengthen their side.

BENIN
Qualified for the first time. The west African country are one of the shock qualifiers for the finals, having pipped Zambia in their last game. Their progress comes despite changing coaches midway through the campaign, dropping Belgian Rene Taelman for Cecil Jones Attuquayefio, the former Ghana international. The 25-year-old striker Oumar Tchomogo, from French second division club Valence, scored five goals in the qualifying campaign.

BURKINA FASOQualified six times. Burkina Faso continue to strengthen their profile and have qualified now for a fifth successive Nations Cup tournament. French coach Jean-Paul Rabier was under considerable pressure to achieve but the eventually got through in a potentially difficult group, propelled by the influence and goals of Belgian-based striker Moumouni Dagano. He also received considerable support from the promising Dieudonne Minoungou.

CAMEROON
Winners 1984, 1988, 2000, 2002; Runner-up 1986. Qualified 13 times. The defending champions did not have to qualify but have shown their pedigree with a place in the recent Confederations Cup final in France, including victory over Brazil. It was an achievement marred by the shock death of midfielder Marc-Vivien Foe. Coach Winfried Schafer is slowly introducing new talent to his side, but still relies heavily on the experience of captain Rigobert Song and the goal scoring ability of Samuel Eto'o Fils. And with the latest call up of old goal father - Patrick Mboma, the Lion are up to something again even though they still have the Super Eagles and the Lion of Tarangal (Senegal) to contend with for the Cup... not forgeting the Bafana Bafana.

DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO
Winners 1968, 1974. Qualified 14 times. The country formerly known as Zaire continue to run a ramshackle administration but have enough playing strength to overcome their lack of consistency and organisation. Captain Shabani Nonda played little part in the qualifiers, seemingly frustrated with the way the team is run. Newcastle United's Lomana Tresor Lua Lua threatened to quit the side too, although he returned for the last group match at the weekend in Gaborone. The side is coached by Joseph Mukeba, but there are plans to get a coach from Europe to handle the side.

EGYPT
Winners 1957, 1959, 1986, 1998; Runner-up 1962. Qualified 19 times. Egypt extend their record for the most number of Nations Cup appearances, scoring 13 goals without reply in their last two group games to qualify. Yet there still remains considerable pressure on coach Mohsen Saleh, who might not yet take the side to Tunisia in January. Midfielder Ahmed Hassan is one of the survivors of the side that won the Nations Cup in 1998 and remains a key factor, complimented by controversial striker Ahmed 'Mido' Hossam.

GUINEA
Runner-up 1976. Qualified seven times. A talented side, who could pose some problems in the finals with their exciting line-up. Turkish-based Souleymane Youla, Bordeaux's Pascal Feindouno and the veteran Aboubacar Titi Camara make up a formidable attack. The side are coached by the Frenchman Michel Dussuyer. The Syli Nationale as the side is nicknamed, could have been contenders for the last World Cup finals in Japan and South Korea had they not been stymied by a political dispute. They were suspended by Fifa after the sport minister disbanded the football federation in January 2001. Guinea is also rest assure of the Celtic Duo - Bobo Balde and Momo Sylla, this will make this nation cup an interesting ground.

KENYA
Qualified five times. Kenya won their first three qualifying matches to create a runaway lead in their group and never looked back to secure their first Nations Cup berth in 12 years. Coached by Jacob 'Ghost' Mulee, most of the players are locally-based but the Harambee Stars also rely on the influence of captain Musa Otieno, who plays in South Africa and midfielder John Mururi of Gent in Belgium. Kenya have also uncovered a teenage sensation in Denis Oliech, the 19-year-old forward, who scored three goals in the qualifiers and has recently secured a club contract in Qatar.

MALI
Runner-up 1972. Qualified four times. Mali were the last hosts of the Nations Cup, where they reached the semi-finals. Mali used much the same team for the 2004 qualifiers, where they edged out Zimbabwe on goal difference in group six. They are now coached by Frenchman Christian Dalger. The side includes exciting talent like Seydou Keita and Mahamdou Diarra, who plays for French champions Lyon. Mali will be hoping that Lens defender Adama Coulibaly recovers in time from his long-standing leg injury to feature in Tunisia. Mali again can now be rest assure of their EPL star Kanoute who has opted and agreed to play for his fatherland... Africa pls beware another striker is in the squad - the Eagles of Mali.

MOROCCO
Winner 1976. Qualified 11 times. Morocco were unbeaten in their group and did not concede a single goal in an efficient performance by coach Badou Zaki's side. The side are coached by the former goalkeeper, who was at the 1986 World Cup finals in Mexico. Zaki toured Europe last year and has uncovered several players with Moroccan heritage to add to his squad. Veteran defender Noureddine Naybet, from Spanish side Deportivo La Coruna, will probably lead the side in Tunisia in what is likely to be his international swansong.

NIGERIA
Winner 1980, 1994; Runner-up 1984, 1988, 2000. Qualified 13 times. A controversial penalty saved Nigeria from home defeat in their last qualifier against Angola last month and got them the point they needed to qualify. The close shave has added to the pressure on coach Christian Chukwu, who looks likely to be usurped by a high profile European in the next months. English-based midfielder Austin Okocha is the pivot around which the team operates, backed up by the goals of Yakubu Aiyegbeni and Nwankwo Kanu. With so many players called to camp, CCC has alot to choose from. The Eagles are no doubt one of the highest favourite in this tournament, heaven helps any team that do not take them serious cus the Eagles are out for a kill if the Inter Milan Rave Obafemi Martins joins force with the already formidable striking partner of Julius Agahowa (aka Agawonder), Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Victor Agali, Kanu Nwankwo, John Utaka et al... then, African Defenders should be ready for trouble because there comes two terrors in Obagoal and JAG in the Eagles squad - with the backing of the EPL darlington of the moment Mestro Jay Jay Okocha, the cup should come to Nigeria.

RWANDA
Qualified for the first time. The east African country caused arguably the biggest upset in Nations Cup history by beating Ghana in Kigali on 6 July to qualify. Their progress has come on the back of considerable financial support from the country's president, Paul Kagame - an avid football fan. Coached by Serbian Ratomir Dujkovic, their side has just four foreign-based players - all from the Belgian league. They are the St. Truiden pair of Claude Kalisa and Desire Mbonabucya; Pape Mayele of Lokeren and Hamid Ndikumana from Gent. Mbonabucya previously played in Turkey, while Kalisa was named as one of the top 10 footballers in the Belgian league this season.

SENEGAL
Runner-up 2002. Qualified eight times. World Cup quarter-finalists last year, Senegal are the in-form team in African football and will be among the favourites for the Nations Cup title in Tunisia. French coach Guy Stephan did not get off to a roaring start this year, with defeat in friendlies against Morocco and Tunisia. But the side's fortunes changed at the right time, getting wins over Gambia and Lesotho to secure qualification. The bulk of the side that went to the 2002 World Cup finals in Japan and South Korea is still in place, led by African Footballer of the Year El Hadji Diouf and the Auxerre midfielder Khalilou Fadiga. This guys mean serious business, they got to the final of the last edition and only miss narrowly on penalty shoot out to their fellow Lions... Cameroon. They got the quality and their first world cup record is another intimidation. Rivals watch out.

SOUTH AFRICA
Winner 1996; Runner-up 1998. Qualified five times. South Africa came through a tough group to edge out the Ivory Coast for a place in the finals, finishing unbeaten and with just one goal conceded. Defence is the new strong suite of the side, but coach Ephraim Mashaba still has a problem with his foreign-based stars. The foreign legion were picking and choosing which games they want to play. He tried to deal with the problem by leaving them out, but needs players like Shaun Bartlett and Benni McCarthy if the country are to mount any serious challenge on the title in Tunisia.

TUNISIA
Runner-up 1965, 1996. Qualified 11 times. Tunisia will be hosting the finals for the third time but still seeking their first triumph in the continental championship. Former French World Cup coach Roger Lemerre has been brought in to direct their latest attempt and is rebuilding an ageing team, which proved disappointing at the World Cup in Japan last year. French-based midfielder Slim Benachour is the new hope of Tunisian football. Tunisia are better known for their defensive capabilities than their attacking flair.

ZIMBABWE
Qualified for the first time. Zimbabwe have long been the 'nearly men' of the Nations Cup, repeatedly missing out on qualification at the final hurdle. But they have finally slipped through the back door as the best placed runner-up in the qualifiers to take the last berth. English-based striker Peter Ndlovu drove them to the finals with five goals in the preliminary tournament and will be their key force in Tunisia, supported by Auxerre attacker Benjamin Mwaruwari. The side are coached by Sunday Marimo, a former international and one of the past playing legends of the southern African country.
Last edited by VINDAVE on Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

Men, where's Ghana? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

This nations cup will be tough.
Forget Ghana, there are other serious contenders in there.
It seems everyone is determined to make a mark this time around.
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Rwanda knocked Ghana out on the last day of qualification... :cry:

Benin also gave Zambia a resounding beating 3-0 also on the last day of qualification.... This countries are emerging and hungry for more... 8)
Last edited by MI5 on Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

I know, Ghana did not make it, just a swipe at our nemesis of old and to show that a new order is emrging in African football. One Naija cannot take for granted. Ghana should be an example to us all.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Pa Jimoh,

Until Benin or one of the emerging countries in Africa beat us when it counts the most people here on this board and in the NFA will still think everything is alright.

What Mali did to us in the second game in Mali ANC 2002 was reminder of what to expect from hungrier countries like Mali, Benin, Rwanda and others.... Stay tuned... :wink:
Soldier of Fortune...
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

There are o easy matches anymore in Africa.
omonaija
Egg
Egg

Post by omonaija »

Larry Ashagbe wrote:There are o easy matches anymore in Africa.
But not against Benin oga larry. Our own backyard wives!! men, we go rape them for ANC...make the home rat hear they tell the bush one, na serious #$% whoopin' we go give them.
To God be the glory....New Year 2024! Seek him first and all other things shall be added!Thus saith the Lord!
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Omonaija,

From someone like you i expected you to understand the days of David vs Goliath is over. This was the same kind of talk during the buildup to ANC 2000 against Congo in our second match that we all said with our talent and all we will beat the living daylights out of Congo what happened they held us and played us man for man, ball for ball with us in Lagos... ANC 2002 in Mali we said with our star studded lineup we will teach Mali a lesson on this forum, we barely got out of that match alive where Mali wanted to beat us badly that day cheii... Even Amodu who is considered a great coach by his followers here was shaking on the bench that day..

Abeg i've said it already if we don't win our first match the pressure is going to build on us to win the next two games depending on what happens in the other matches. Stay tuned...
Last edited by MI5 on Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

MI5 wrote:Omonaija,

From someone like you i expected better to understand the days of David vs Goliath is over. This was the same kind of talk during the build to ANC 2000 against Congo that we all said with our talent and all we will beat the living daylights out of Congo what happened they held us and played man for man ball for ball with us in Lagos... ANC 2002 in Mali we said with our star studded line up we will teach Mali a lesson on this forum we barely got out of that match alive....

Abeg i've said it already if we don't win our first match the pressure is going to build on us to win the next two games depending on what happens in the other matches. Stay tuned...
PLEASE REMIND THEM.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Yes ohh Vindave,

Everyone thinks it's going to be a cake walk again oh my stay tuned...

VINDAVE wrote:

From someone like you i expected better to understand the days of David vs Goliath is over. This was the same kind of talk during the build to ANC 2000 against Congo that we all said with our talent and all we will beat the living daylights out of Congo what happened they held us and played man for man ball for ball with us in Lagos... ANC 2002 in Mali we said with our star studded line up we will teach Mali a lesson on this forum we barely got out of that match alive....

PLEASE REMIND THEM.
Soldier of Fortune...
omonaija
Egg
Egg

Post by omonaija »

From someone like you i expected you to understand the days of David vs Goliath is over. This was the same kind of talk during the buildup to ANC 2000 against Congo in our second match that we all said with our talent and all we will beat the living daylights out of Congo what happened they held us and played us man for man, ball for ball with us in Lagos... ANC 2002 in Mali we said with our star studded lineup we will teach Mali a lesson on this forum, we barely got out of that match alive where Mali wanted to beat us badly that day cheii... Even Amodu who is considered a great coach by his followers here was shaking on the bench that day..

I believe all you have said, I was just playing trying to psych myself up. I know it won't be a walk in the park and I know by now that our boys should have recognise that nobody respect them no more as african teams go. It is going to be 11 against 11 players on the field. But, I still believe though that Benin team we are going to beat...might not be a serious #$% whoopin' but we are going to win, if that is the only 3pt we are going to get in our group! Insah allah! :D :D
To God be the glory....New Year 2024! Seek him first and all other things shall be added!Thus saith the Lord!
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Omonaija,

Yes ohh we go see sha... I can't wait...

omonaija wrote:

I believe all you have said, I was just playing trying to psych myself up. I know it won't be a walk in the park and I know by now that our boys should have recognise that nobody respect them no more as african teams go. It is going to be 11 against 11 players on the field. But, I still believe though that Benin team we are going to beat...might not be a serious #$% whoopin' but we are going to win, if that is the only 3pt we are going to get in our group! Insah allah! :D :D
Soldier of Fortune...
calli65
Egg
Egg

Post by calli65 »

m15, you are a fool.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

calli65,

Weclome i think sey the wind don carry you kpele ohh 8) 8) :P :P :lol:
Soldier of Fortune...
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

If CCC thinks like this, we are doomed.
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Daily Independent Online. * Friday, January 2, 2004.

Team by team preview of African Cup of Nations

By Afolabi Gambari

Special Correspondent, Zimbabwe[/b]

Algeria: Can the Desert

Warriors evolve new era?

After old war-horse and former Premiership Manchester City’s midfielder, Ali Bernabia, announced his decision to retire from the Desert Warriors’ squad sometimes last year, the team carried on nevertheless. In no time, however, it dawned on every one that Bernabia had taken away the soul with which continuity could be guaranteed. Old reliable, Abdelhafid Tasfaout, was the only inspiration left. Shortly before the race to Tunisia 2004 finals began, he delivered the blow announcing his retirement.

For the first time since Algeria won the Nations Cup on home soil in 1990, qualification became hazardous. With no clear cut inspirational players left in Europe to help the North African nation to Tunisia, Belgian coach, George Leekens, was left with no choice than to look inward. He fetched eight players from Jeunesse Sportive Kabylie, four from USM Algiers, sprinkled the squad with players from other local clubs and practically pleaded with five unheralded players from the French League to join the team. In the end, the unusual blend ensured the ticket to Tunisia.

Soon after qualification, however, Leekens delivered yet another blow with a surprise resignation. Algerian Rabah Saadane who took over the reins of leadership has been left desperate for success. With Bernabia and Tasfaout still out of the fray, he is banking on the inclusion of some French-born players of Algerian extract to prosecute the Tunisian war. Where this crude method would take Saadane and his team remains to be seen; but the situation has underscored Algeria’s difficulties at staking their pride when hostilities commence in a group that interestingly comprise giant-killers Zimbabwe as well as giants Cameroun and former African champions, Egypt.

It looks certain that the Algerians are living in the pre-1990 era. To make an appreciable impact in that group, the Desert Warriors will have to literally invoke the spirit of players that took them to the world stage at Espana ’82 World Cup; the Madjers, Belloumis and the Assads. Anything short of this would make Tunisia 2004 a bigger nightmare than Senegal ’92 edition where they not only failed to defend their title but also went out in the first round. That the former French colony have not made any impact in the bi-annual African soccer fiesta ever since also suggests that nothing tangible should be expected from them this time.

Benin: Beware! These

Squirrels can bite

Not many amused soccer followers knew Nigeria were the factor by which Benin cruised almost effortlessly to their first ever Nations Cup finals. It is suffice to reveal, however, that this is the story of the emergence of the tiny French-speaking nation in the West African sub-region. As the Super Eagles of Nigeria became star-studded with the regulars scarcely eager to give way, those who would not wait endlessly in the wings dashed across the border to the warm embrace of Benin officials. The ease with which the Squirrels eliminated Chipolopolo of Zambia from the qualifying group told a lot of stories. Interestingly though, soccer followers would rather take the Nations Cup debutantes as the first-timers that they are. It could prove a risky assertion when the Nations Cup kicks off and time will tell.

The Squirrels would not be even be daunted by the sudden replacement of Belgian coach, Rene Taelma for Ghanaian Cecil Jones Attuquayefio mid-way in the qualification series. It was typical of a Nigerian assemblage that could be tinkered by any coach, no matter how less endowed. Match after match, Attuquayefio used his bunch of determined wards to spite his home country as he made history as the first coach to achieve the impossible for Benin. Nothing else can be gratifying as Benin have now been grouped alongside Nigeria even though they still must contend with South Africa and Morocco. Essentially, therefore, two Nigerian teams would be slugging it out in the group. The one too sure to scale the hurdle and the other also too sure to rock the boat of any one that demonstrates even the minutest amount of complacency in the race to the top two positions.

Aside the 27-year old Omar Tchamogo, the French second division Valence striker who led goal haul in the Tunisia 2004 qualifiers with five strikes, the Ghanaian tactician would also be placing his scoring hopes on Nigerian-born duo of Moussa Latoundji and Muri Ogunbiyi. Ogunbiyi who tried making Super Eagles’ list in vain had incidentally helped Enyimba FC clinch the elusive Champions League trophy for Nigeria on December 12. Perhaps, it is only a matter of good strategy and Attuquayefio would be home and dry in the group that has been variously described as akin to death.

In the light of the Squirrels’ ambition to be wary in making friends with enemies at the Nations Cup finals as well as the determination not to be the whipping side, the fixtures are perfectly in their favour. They would avoid the Nigerians until after dueling with South Africa and Morocco. Therefore whatever predatory instincts Ogunbiyi and his co-tormentors can muster before clashing with the Eagles would serve them most purposefully.

“We will take our time and approach every match as it comes,” Attuquayefio stated as Benin commenced two month-long preparations for Tunisia. Asked if he would be cowed by the overwhelming presence of the opposition of the former champions in the group, the former Ghanaian international declared: “We will just play our normal game. After all, no matter what happens we would have nothing to lose.” But he knows he has employed that modesty as dangerous bait.

Burkina Faso: Stomping

Stallions are coming

Playing in a sixth Nations Cup finals has done no little honour to Burkinabe soccer history. More than that, it is a remarkable achievement to play in five consecutive finals since 1996. Such is the pathway that the Stallions have taken especially since hosting Africa in 1998 that not even in the World Cup race could they be looked down upon as minnows. Although they may not have arrived in the manner of the Senegalese Lions, their consistency has no less sent warning signals to would-be contenders at any forum.

Buoyed by the ever-ready support from President Blaise Compaore, the Stallions have perennially demonstrated that the 1998 hosting of the continent had changed things for the better in the country’s soccer. As the daylight of the desired future continues to broaden so their determination threatens to shatter all hitherto high boundaries.

Star player in the Stallions’ squad and Belgian-based striker, Moumouni Dagano has earned confidence of French coach, Jean-Paul Rabier, to cause destruction to opponents. Rabier himself would not but remember the legacy of compatriot Philippe Troussier and accept the responsibility of steering the course of progress.

He had been under severe pressure during the race to Tunisia when qualification became a horse race. Now he would need to reciprocate the home fans who believed in his capability as Burkina Faso eventually earned the Nations Cup ticket through the skin of their teeth. More hurdles lay ahead of the group that comprises rave of the moment, Senegal, never-say-die Kenya as well as sensational Malian team that sent shock waves throughout the last edition they hosted.

Undoubtedly the toughest hurdle for the Compaore Boys and their French tutor is the group’s opening game that pitches them against the Teranga Lions of Senegal at the El-Menzah Stadium. In the event that both nations would crave the maximum to keep their ambition in fine shape, that would be a match to look out for. But despite losing rather scandalously to a Spanish selected side in a friendly last week in Spain, the Burkinabes seem poised to exploit reliability of the stallion to march on. When Rabier declared, “We are not prepared to merely make up the number of participants this time,” he expected to be taken seriously.

Cameroun: Lions hunt
fifth title

Winners in 1984, 1988, 2000 and 2002, the Indomitable Lions have left no one in doubt that if the Nations Cup is again up for grabs in Tunisia, they would be eminently qualified to take a fifth successful shot at the title.

The Camerounians had looked domitable when they posted an unbefitting performance by an African champion last year at the World Cup, only four months after they conquered Africa at Mali. It was a question mark that would not go away; but thanks to decision of German coach, Winfried Schafer, to weed the team of unproductive players, the Lions have returned roaring like never before. They cast a lot of doubt, though, about their return to glory when they paraded a whipping team at a Four-Nation Championship hosted by Nigeria in May 2003. The doubts gave way to renewed hope when they shortly afterwards presented a mint-fresh side that courted world romance at the June FIFA-organised Confederations Cup where they defeated Brazil and lost the cup to host France in the final. Soccer followers across Africa have since arrived at unanimity over Cameroun’s successful defence of the African Nations Cup trophy. They cannot be far from reality.

Despite overflowing with youthful talents like Daniel Ngop Kome, Thimotee Atouba, David Metoumbo and scoring whizkid Samuel Eto’o Fils, the Camerounian authorities have recalled veteran ferocious left-footed striker, Patrick Mboma, even as renegade Arsenal’s Etame Lauren who resigned from the team last year has considered a return. In the middle where the death of marshal Marc-Vivien Foe seemed to create a yawning vacuum, Machester United’s Eric Jemba-Jemba has proved a solid replacement. Not even in goalkeeping have the Lions appeared to take any more chances. Idris Carlos Kameni, the courageous lad who kept Cameroun’s posts successfully at the Olympics in Sydney has used the Confederations Cup to announce he would be ready for Tunisia.

Historically acknowledged for tackling nothing but success at championships, Cameroun would not overlook Algeria, Egypt and new-comers Zimbabwe in the Nations Cup group. On paper as in reality though, there is no stopping the Lions’ march from among these contenders.

Congo DR: Simba in vain search for pawns

Considering the incalculable mal-administration that has been meted to the once powerful Simba of Democratic Republic Republic, it would be fair to expect nothing from the French-speaking Central African country at Tunisia 2004. However, it would not in any way take away the honour of participation from the two-time African champions who carted home the trophy in 1968 and 1974.

Up till the edition hosted by Tunisia in 1994, the Congolese were still a dreaded lot. Recall the days of Eugene Kabongo Ngoy who led a side that threatened Nigeria’s eventually successful shot at the trophy. Those days now appear to be gone forever as the ashes of political instability in the otherwise prosperous African nation has refused to clear off the landscape. Today, it is an immeasurable tragedy that the bulk of DRC players have opted to engage themselves in the service of other nations.

At the last Nations Cup finals in Mali, DRC had Newcastle’s Lumana Tresor Lua Lua and Monaco’s Shabani Nonda as pivots of the side that reached the quarter-finals. Now, things have fallen apart-Nonda ruled out of Tunisia after suffering a broken leg injury and Lua Lua getting full dosage of frustration from the local administrators enough to make him stick with club duties in England.

The Congolese side of yesteryears would have looked at a Tunisia Nations Cup group that comprises the host nation, Guinea and Rwanda as a tea party. Not any more. For when Tunisia confront the Rwandese in what seems a deliberate match-up of David and Goliath on the opening day on January 24 at Rades Stadium, DRC would be hard-pressed to scale a veritable Guinean hurdle in the corresponding game next day.

Afterwards, the now brow beaten Simba must contend with Tunisia who would be in high spirit to deliver more killer punches. Indeed, the Simba may find them selves needing the last match against Rwanda no more than their neighbours also do. That may signal end of the 2004 story for the lone African representatives at the Germany 1974 World Cup finals.

Egypt in search of glory

for redemption

Smarting from last minute failure to make the African train to the World Cup in Korea/Japan, the Pharaohs of Egypt are leaving nothing to chance. No wonder they got the Tunisia Nations Cup finals ticket in style, scoring 13 goals in the last two group games and capping with the most appearance at the continental soccer fiesta.

Curiously, however, the Egyptians have offered as much hope as they had towards the Mali 2002 finals. When the heat began, they could not be counted among the contenders. Perhaps the truth lay in the lack of inspiration for the team; every one a star but grossly needing guidance that was no where in sight as the four-time champions crashed unbelievably.

There is no mistaken the needed inspiration, that is, the erratic veteran striker, Hossam Hassan. That he failed to lift the side that went to Mali owed largely to the fact the team was replete with youngsters that needed sometime to mature. Not even the assistance of another veteran defender, Hani Ramzy, could lift Egypt above murky waters at Mali.

Hassan and Ramzy are now but erased from national consciousness, one too aging to carry on and the other too prone to injury to offer meaningful service. It has left Egypt groping for way forward and although coach Mohsen Saleh had provided enough of it during the qualifiers for Tunisia, much more will be required when the main event gets underway. In his own right Olympic Marseille striker, Ahmed “Mido” Hossam can be devastating in front of opponents’ goal. Likewise their midfield prodigy, Ahmed Hassan. But can the team provide another motivator like the good old Hassan that can take on the most difficult opposition when the going gets tough?

Egypt may know Algeria too well in that group. But how well can they absorb the heat of Cameroun, and have they reckoned what new-found inspiration can do to make the "smallest" nation of the group, Zimbabwe, keep coming and coming? This surely would not end like the Malian nightmare. The fixtures seem easy for Egypt as they tackle Zimbabwe in their first group game seeking a valuable win while watching Cameroun and Algeria neutralise one another. Yet in the event of any slip against the Zim Warriors, they would be faced with putting away Arab brotherhood by clinging desperately to a win against Algeria before seeking what could turn out as all-important points in the last game against Cameroun. Certainly the Pharaohs need solid inspiration to pass this tricky test.

Guinea: The Syli land on

familiar terrain

Until Guinea were axed on interference with governing of soccer on the local scene mid-way into the African qualifiers for the last World Cup, the Syli Nationale were on a steady rise, thanks to a comprehensive programme effected by the soccer federation.

The adrenalin went down with their swift disqualification from the group where only South Africa stood at prime position to literally enjoy the booty. Otherwise the Guineans could have posted another African resurgence at Korea/Japan. The ease with which the Syli picked ticket for Tunisia 2004 tells a lot about a country almost in desperate need to correct wrong notion about their true potential.

More than ever, Guinea are prepared to shake Africa. Consider French coach Michel Dussuyer’s wisdom at drafting long-time captain, Aboubakar Titi Camara, to the squad that would be further strengthened with the inclusion of starry-eyed duo of Souleymane Youla and Bordeaux of France’s Pascal Feinduono. The Syli are indeed brimming with determination to excel.

Runners-up in 1976 in addition to having qualified seven times, the Guineans nonetheless executed the greatest performance 10 years ago at the event hosted by Tunisia. Cruel luck ambushed their ambition and they were not to be seen at the crucial stages of the competition. Ten years on and back on the terrain where they re-launched themselves, how much can Guinea offer? Quite a lot, it appears. They could be a veritable bogey to Tunisian ambition in Group A, notwithstanding that past and present records put them in pole position to contest keenly for the top place in the preliminary rounds. In reality, only Tunisia can present credible opposition to the Guineans when the race gets underway. Perhaps it is also by a stroke of divinity that both nations would only contend after they have clashed with DRC and Rwanda; a situation that could make the “Battle on the grass of Rades Stadium” really explosive between these two “Elephants.”

Kenya: Unity to the rescue

In recent years, several coaches have failed to lift the Harambee Stars to desired height. But when former national team goalkeeper, Jacob Mulee, and former defender, Mickey Wenche, took charge at the start of the race to Tunisia, no one but the rookie players they assembled gave the country a chance. With three straight victories, however, there was a different thinking among doubting Thomases as Kenya returned to winning ways. Mulee and his wards must cling tightly to this unity from the moment they arrive in Tunis onward the prosecution of the crackers against Senegal, Mali and Burkina Faso. Despite their remarkable efforts at reaching the Nations Cup finals, though, the Harambee Stars look very much the odd team of the group. A lot of unity would be needed to go up to the first two spots at the end of hostilities. According to Mulee, there is nothing to worry about the threat posed by the big three nations who appear set to neutralise one another with all arsenals each can muster. “Every team in the group,” he insists, “has equal chance at qualifying for the quarter finals and I should say that is my target.” With the financial pain that threatened Kenya’s qualification now a history, the nation expects to stick to the pain involved in putting them back on African soccer focus. But coach Mulee is thinking a little further. He would be relying heavily on the experience of team veteran and captain, Musa Otieno, whose towering height in the heart of Harambee Stars’ defence serves as inpiration. He would also rely on the resilience of Robert Mambo as well as Walter Odede to inspire youthful striker, Dennis Ochieng, who plies his trade in the colour of Qatari club Al-Arabi to buzz the side’s road to scoring vital goals.

Above all, undoubtedly, the entire Kenyan crew would need to watch the group’s first game between Senegal and Burkina Faso scheduled for 24 hours earlier than their game against Mali. Whatever lesson derived could serve a long way to ensuring longevity of Mulee and his wards in the competition. For no one can disagree that the Senegal/Burkina Faso tie will be the determinant factor in Group B.

Mali: Aiglons eye final spot

The Malian team that entertained at the last Nations Cup were too exuberant to go past Cameroun at the semi-final stage. No wonder they got more than they bargained at the hands of the Lions. Even Mali’s President at the time, Oumar Alpha Konare, admitted truthfully. “This is the team of the future and I believe it is only a matter of time before we take Africa by storm.” There was no questioning Konare’s judgement whatsoever.

With the experience of French coach, Christian Dalger, at marshalling the potential at his disposal, Africa would expect to witness tremendous improvement from the West Africans. For no one can forget easily how they rattled Nigeria in the group game at the last competition, humiliated Algeria and edged Liberia out of the race. Neither can any one underrate the young side again, especially as their attack has been sharpened by the inclusion of Tottingham's top striker, Freddie Kanoute, who recently shook off all odds to represent his home country at the Tunisian finals.

Many would swear though, that the young Eagles enjoyed tremendous home crowd support and would ordinarily not have hovered around the fringes of capturing the trophy as they did until Cameroun woke them up to reality. Not Lens of France midfielder, Seydou Keita, who cannot wait to showcase the talent that set him apart two years ago before his countryfolks. “That performance was not a fluke even if many would like to disagree,” the 21 year-old left-footer said recently. “Soon after Mali’s extraordinary performance at Tunisia Nations Cup finals 10 years ago, everything suddenly fell apart. It took us another four years to get things back on track when we prepared for the 1999 World Youth Championship in Nigeria. Thankfully we came third and the team was retained to build for the future. Majority in the 1999 team appeared at the Mali Nations Cup and you could see the cohesion with which we played. Thankfully, also, the 2002 team is still intact and we can only hope to improve on our fourth place record this time.”

Keita has said it all, as it were. It is up to group mates Senegal, Burkina Faso and Kenya to brace up to the challenge that the Malian would pose in the quest for two tickets with which to proceed to the next round. Notwithstanding the El-Menzah Stadium talk-of-the-town clash between Senegal and Burkina Faso on January 26, Mali would be ready to take on the giants one after another. That is the only way Keita’s ambition for at least the final game can be actualised. “It is a difficult group,” the Lens player admits, but quickly adds: “We will try all within our ability to proceed further than the first round.”

With support from Adama Coulibaly, Mamadou Diarra and others in the squad, Keita can land safely in his destination.

Morocco: Zaki, Naybet hold the aces

After a scintillating performance that saw Mustapha Hajji net the best goal of Burkina Faso 1998 Nations Cup finals, Morocco only needed to proceed to the World Cup in France. Then, their soccer fortune took a nose-dived and they would need up to the Tunisia 2004 qualifiers to rediscover their winning formula.

Former African Footballer of the Year and Atlas Lions of Morocco’s most remarkable goalkeeper ever, Badou Zaki, picked up the pieces and has not looked back. As the only team that neither conceded defeat nor conceded a goal in the qualifying series, Zaki and his wards deserve respect from all as they seek to renew their quest for Africa’s soccer pinnacle at Tunisia. Indeed, the Lions seem to have collectively resolved to chart a new course. It would remain to be seen when they confront Nigeria at Monastir on January 27 when the session opens in the group fancifully tagged “zone of death”.

Yet it could prove too tricky for the North Africans to handle Nigeria, South Africa and Benin and emerge unscathed. It is so that despite their clean qualification record to Tunisia, analysts are hard to accord them with the slimmest chance of making it to the next round. The fears are not unfounded. The Moroccans may feel comfortable at playing against South Africa whose virtually European style would bring out the best of the Badou Zaki-tutored lads. But it would be a hell of task scaling the height posed by the robust styles of Nigeria and Benin, both of whom already have a date with a seemingly unsettled score. In an unpredictable setting where the Beninois look set to spring a surprise, the Moroccans would need to keep their minds awake as they further the difficult business of reaching the quarter-finals.

Most importantly, they must erase the nightmare that befell them and work hard at either eliminating Nigeria or South Africa so that Benin’s possible sneak would make no difference. Zaki has done well to discover new players for Morocco. But the fact that he still relies on the experience of Deportivo La Coruna ace defender, Noureddine Naybet, translates to his crave for an anchor that would drive the youths to success. Yet, how far can Naybet be relied upon to move mountain? Injuries have waylaid his path for much of this season. No less has age threatened his hyper-activity. Nonetheless, the Atlas Lions must duplicate the brilliant qualification run to Tunisia in the real battle. If they can, they should be on their way to winning the trophy a second time since they did 28 years ago.