Ranieri just plays at it: CCC is the real Tinkerman

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

waka-man
Egg
Egg
Ranieri just plays at it: CCC is the real Tinkerman

Post by waka-man »

As a Chelsea fan, I am constantly amazed at how Ranieri can get the same group of players to play completely different systems. At least with him, you can tell the system.

I'm not sure any one knows what system Nigeria played yesterday. Even against Benin, we are completely gazumped as to what formation we played in each half (they were certainly different).

The great Odiye has said on this forum that we have been playing with no formation at all. Much as I hate to disagree with one of my greatest heroes, I will. The truth remains, apart from the opening game, we've always looked a balanced side. The best proof of that is how rarely teams have been able to hit us on the break. We've given away goals, but most of the good attempts agaisnt us have come from individual errors as opposed to a breakdown of a system.

Of course, like his counter-part at Chelsea, CCC's tinkering can often get him in trobule. After the complete genius of the game against Cameroon, I'm tempted to believe CCC was up to something against Cameroon that just didn't come off. I think he wanted get at the Atlas lions along the flanks with Yakubu and Utaka, but he horribly miscalculated on a number of fronts:
- Yakubu could do the job out left
- Olofinjana was still learning the job of screening hte back four, a job that I must say he's become soooo much better at since.
- He had a midfield devoid of husslers

The real test was what he'd do the next match.

Against SA, Nigeria was far from great, but the set-up of the team was absolutely spectacular. Pushing Kanu further up front and bringing Ekwueme in on the left meant SA were under pressure all day. The 4-1-3-2 formation (and for CCC formations are a "suggestion", not a rigid format of play) was actually executed perfectly, and you could tell Yobo, Okoronkwo and Olofinjana had been working so well together. All 2nd balls were mopped up and every single SA possession was suffocated in a hungry green mist. It was not exactly beautiful football all the time, but its the type that wears opponents down and its no suprise we score late goals.

So, we though we had a formation. But no! Tinkerman was at it again. I'm not even gonna start a debate about how Nigeria palyed against Benin (Me swears it was 3-5-2 in the first have and 4-3-3 and 4-5-1 in the second). For all its lack of effect, the team still had a balance - not symetry - to it.

So then the big one: Cameroon. Again, not sure what that was, but the second half was 4-3-3 at times, 4-2-3-1 at times, I swear for a while we didn't even have any attackers, just a swarm of white in the midfield. And it led to our second goal. Where we watching we say Cameroon's back line get tempted further and further up field. As if in retreat, Kanu was also dropping depper and depper, and Utaka and Osaze were starting their runs for wider positions. "Nigeria will get one chance at a fast break, and if it goes through Kanu, he better thread a fantastic pass to Osaze" said one of us. Almost right. Sitting in that hole, Kanu turned swiftly(!!) and threaded the most perfect ball you've ever seen. You could hear Henry saying "why doesn't he give me those?".

All in all, it was a switch-hitting performace that had the Cameroonians scratching their heads. Ask yourself: what position did Kanu play? Osaze, Utaka, Udeze, Lawal? All these guys popped up for large periods of time in a variety of positions without the team ever looking particulalry unbalanced.

So, by my reckoning, in this tournament Nigeria has tried all of the following:
4-2-4
4-4-2
4-3-3
4-1-4-1
4-1-3-2
4-1-2-3
5-3-2
4-5-1

Claudio Ranieri might think he's Tinkerman, but I think CCC just took his title.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Waka-man,

Please show some respect.

Lions are being laid to rest in a grave garnished with humble pies, and all you can talk about is Chelsea? Please o, have some respect for the EX-champions of africa.

Guys,
make una no vex, please...oya, hymm 2-1..."Eagles giveth and Eagles taketh in Africa" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Q
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Let the dead bury the dead :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Waka-man, I think I see some senses in your post. CCC is not what people talk about him.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Your analysis of the formations from yesterdays game was spot on. Now that is the job of a ggod coach, to see what is happening and try and make positive changes. I was heartened to see Okoronkwo give credit to CCC for implementing changes and I was also happy when I saw a shot of Eguavouen(??) and CCC talking during the game.

The general that is CCC has continually grown in stature in this ANC.
To stop trying is to start dying
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Shownoja wrote:Your analysis of the formations from yesterdays game was spot on. Now that is the job of a ggod coach, to see what is happening and try and make positive changes. I was heartened to see Okoronkwo give credit to CCC for implementing changes and I was also happy when I saw a shot of Eguavouen(??) and CCC talking during the game.

It's apparent that CCC knows a lot more about the game than many of us give h im credit for
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

nanijoe wrote:
Shownoja wrote:Your analysis of the formations from yesterdays game was spot on. Now that is the job of a ggod coach, to see what is happening and try and make positive changes. I was heartened to see Okoronkwo give credit to CCC for implementing changes and I was also happy when I saw a shot of Eguavouen(??) and CCC talking during the game.

It's apparent that CCC knows a lot more about the game than many of us give h im credit for
I wish he had shown that more often and earlier than in this tournament. He would have saved Nigeria the embarassing saga of Robbocop, and a lot of headaches regards the ability of local coaches. Because what all of these boil down to is that local coaches also have great knowledge of the game and know what the do on the field just like their oyinbo comrades. But better late than never.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg