WHO STILL INSISTS ON A FOREIGN COACH

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

pasamu
Egg
Egg
WHO STILL INSISTS ON A FOREIGN COACH

Post by pasamu »

i think that the victory over cameroon goes a long way into proving the techical competence of nigerian football. cameroon were outplayed in most facets of the game. it was obvious from where i sat that jj called the shots on the field. even in the pre game warmup, jj took charge with ccc prowling the technical area. this is not tosay ccc was not incharge as during thegame i saw kanu come towards the bench to listen to ccc.
my point is whether jj or ccc or probably both, this was an all nigerian output. the insistence on a foreign coach (unless he is of a calibre we are unlikely to be able to afford) is silly. since shaibu led a patch patch eagles past henri kasperjacks mali in the 2002 third place playoff, giddy coaching has come of age. even uncle festus bested mick mccarthy and berti voghts, (and i will not even go into club level).
numerous reasons have been given for rejecting local coaches but i dont think technical ability can any longer be used.
my times are in HIS hands
bigtruth
Egg
Egg

Post by bigtruth »

I think we should not get carried away here, Cameroon have not been playing well recently and it showed in their results before our match with them, I believe if and when we play outside African football, we will still need very technical coach to change things round when things are not going our way, Cameroon played badly and I am sure they will quicly fix their problems, even if we eventually win the ANC, I think we need a very good coach to move us foward.

This is not saying CCC have not done his best, but we must not wait until his best is not good enough, we need to be planning for the next world cup now.

I know if we beat Tunisia, people will start talking about their coach being the EX-French coach, but he can only work with the materials at his disposal.
It Is Well.

PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

I do. CCC can only take us so far. T be honest, i don't think the guys need any motivating against Cameroon. They know the history and the passion behing these games
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

After the ANC, Nigeria is going to appoint a foreign coach, irrespective of the result of the tournament! As we speak, plans are underway and the NFA is scurrying around to find means by which to pay his salary.

You heard it hear first!
oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

I do. CCC is the man of the moment, but not the coach for our future. We want to dominate for another decade and CCC will not be part of that project. I must however thank for the job in ANC so far and praying that they win on Wed and Sat, so as to cement his name in history.
Truth needs no support system, it can stand firmly on its legs!!

COYS
seabreeze
Egg
Egg

Post by seabreeze »

Insisting on a foreign coach is not by choice but a disease. It wouldn't matter if CCC won four world cup championships, because the same Oyimbo #$% kissers would be still rolling out the red carpet treatment for the Bryan Robsons of the mediocre football world.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
Pemba
Egg
Egg

Post by Pemba »

There's one thing local coaches bring into the equation which is an understanding of player culture and psychology. Foreign coaches can do that too but it takes time. For the WC2006 we should focus on building on the successes of the present instead of starting from square 1.

On that basis I think CCC is the right coach for Nigeria at present. As a player he has played at the highest level and knows what it takes to win. As a person he has good character and has succeeded more than the last few coaches we remember to inject a TEAM spirit into the Eagles. The days of Finidi, Ikpeba, Okocha, Kanu, Taribo walking onto the fields like gods seems to be over. Look at them now all bowing and taking a prayer session together before and after the match. He is also an attack-minded coach who has reminded Nigeria that we our strength has always been our attack and creativity not the defensive shells we became under Amodu and Onigbinde.

I did not see this in CCC before but I now admire him for his lack of fear for other teams. Nigeria could have cowered before Cameroon the same way we cowered against Senegal and Argentina, instead the boys came out to play. A special person brings that out in a team and CCC has done special things to the team.

At the same time its always good to have foreign input for new ideas and strategies irrespective of whichever country you are. So I think the Nigerian FA should stop making a fool of themselves around the world by hiring coaches they cannot pay and focus instead on hiring technical consultants for stints of training and tactics with the national team. This is a lot cheaper and it is more effective in making the Super Eagles a more strategically and tactically aware team.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Let us look at it this way:

Cost of a GC for the next 2 years $600,000
Cost of sending the ENtire Nigerian coaching crew for refresher courses or the UEFA coaching badge $100,000

Does it not make more sense to empower our people than flush away that money on some hardly deserving chap whose main qualification is his colour.

Anyway, I dont think that as long as Obasanjo is in Aso Rock, and Ikongi-Iwaele is in the finance minstry, the NFA will be allowed to hire a foreign coach.

Is this not the same way they let Ogunjobi run around like a headless chicken in the Robson saga. Mark my words, the only way a FC will be appointed for the SE is if CCC actually fails to lift the cup.

I also do not see which corporate sponsor will want to be associated with what many will percieve as the injustice of sacking a man who delivered the goods.
To stop trying is to start dying
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:After the ANC, Nigeria is going to appoint a foreign coach, irrespective of the result of the tournament! As we speak, plans are underway and the NFA is scurrying around to find means by which to pay his salary.

You heard it hear first!
Ok..probably true, but do you think it's in Nigeria's long term interest to appoint an FC at this point? As far as I know even you (the chief IC basher) have been impressed with the SE since the RSA game. Should the coaches (CCC and crew) not be allowed to take this team as far as they can?
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

You guyz have become delusional; all things being equal, CCC has done well, and I give him credit. However, we must not get carried away here. Let's win the cup first because if we loose to Tunisia, he'ld have undone everything he's accomplished thus far.

Having said that, I still believe CCC is as inept as they come; better than bryan Robson tho.
...but with God all things are possible...
Jester
Egg
Egg

Post by Jester »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:After the ANC, Nigeria is going to appoint a foreign coach, irrespective of the result of the tournament! As we speak, plans are underway and the NFA is scurrying around to find means by which to pay his salary.

You heard it hear first!
UR A DEAD MEAT!! LIAR!!
DON'T U KNOW UR IMPORTANCE HAS DIMNISHED WITH UR LIES?
Becks, unfit, ponderous and playing Mickey Mouse footie in the most artificial place on God's green earth, was the only bloke to deliver a geunine pass in the whole game (Croats aside).
Akamoke

Post by Akamoke »

You heard it hear first!
Why should we believe you now, isnt this what you affirmatively said in September, October, and November...My point is, no one knows what will happen, we are dealing with NFA remember?

On the FC vs IC stuff, if CCC wins the ANC, he should be retained, why mess with a winning fomula, the only thing I ask of CCC is that he upgrades himself, no one has absolute knowledge and I believe he is in a good position to excel if he continues to accept advice and try to improve himself, he is not the greatest coach, but he has somehow silenced a few here who think he is clueless
Akamoke

Post by Akamoke »

geminikoat wrote:You guyz have become delusional; all things being equal, CCC has done well, and I give him credit. However, we must not get carried away here. Let's win the cup first because if we loose to Tunisia, he'ld have undone everything he's accomplished thus far.

Having said that, I still believe CCC is as inept as they come; better than bryan Robson tho.
Translation : Let's crucify the man regardless of the fact that we have made it to semi finals , knocking out the defending champions in the process..How will losing to
Tunisia undo the success so far, did the loss by Cameroon undo the success of Schaeffer so far..(Btw, I don't think Cameroon should fire him)
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

You've gotta give the man the job for another 3 years if, IF, he wins the title.

The one area we've been suspiscious of our managers is their ability to read a game and make changes. After a shocking lack of initiative against Morocco, CCC has been absolutely world class in his ability to get the team to radically change shape, literally on the fly. And remember, Nigeria has come this far without any amazing individual performances. 4 weeks ago if I told you that Nigeria would beat Cameroon without Jag; or that we'd make it this far without him scoring, you laugh my head off.

So, yeah, you have to give the guy the chance. Next winter, for 4 months, get him a serviced flat in London and have him attend as many games throughout Eruope as possible, to watch players but also to get close to some of the leading teams like Arsenal who are pushing the envelop in team development.

That's all we need.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Bell

Post by Bell »

LET'S PUT THIS IN IT'S PROPER PERSPECTIVE

Westerhoff had five years to tinker (a favorite Nigerian term) with the SE and won one ANC and qualified for t USA'94. He's declared the greatest coach in Nigerian history.

Cam's Schaffer won the ANC but has underperfomed in Korea/Japan and now in Tunisia. If history is any guide, not only will he not be fired, but he'll be given greater power. There's no doubt that he's leading Cam to Germany.

Meanwhile, in just over year, and over obstacles carefully laid by the NFA and certain fans, people are saying C3 is not the man even if he wins. Some had even suggested that the man he just bested (Schaffer) be brought to Nigeria to replace him.

Somebody now has suggested that if Tunisia loses it's not the fault of Lemerre - he simply lacks the players (endless excuses for FC's). I guess when le led France to Japan/Korea he simply lacked the players as well.

Maybe you can but I'm at a loss to explain this kind of reasoning.
Bell
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Bell wrote:LET'S PUT THIS IN IT'S PROPER PERSPECTIVE

Westerhoff had five years to tinker (a favorite Nigerian term) with the SE and won one ANC and qualified for t USA'94. He's declared the greatest coach in Nigerian history.

Cam's Schaffer won the ANC but has underperfomed in Korea/Japan and now in Tunisia. If history is any guide, not only will he not be fired, but he'll be given greater power. There's no doubt that he's leading Cam to Germany.

Meanwhile, in just over year, and over obstacles carefully laid by the NFA and certain fans, people are saying C3 is not the man even if he wins. Some had even suggested that the man he just bested (Schaffer) be brought to Nigeria to replace him.

Somebody now has suggested that if Tunisia loses it's not the fault of Lemerre - he simply lacks the players (endless excuses for FC's). I guess when le led France to Japan/Korea he simply lacked the players as well.

Maybe you can but I'm at a loss to explain this kind of reasoning.
Bell
Bell, there is not a single hole in your argument. I don't get what people need to happen to give our coaches a chance. If CCC takes this team, even in its infancy and short of 3 players to the final, I think he should get the job for Germany full stop case closed.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
HM Tega
Egg
Egg

Post by HM Tega »

guys, calm down, its just one game

a certain b-jo....ran through every one before being stopped by the lions...and subsequently the likes of liberia.....coaching compentency should not be determined by victory in 1,2, or even 3 games. A caoch can be totally crap and sometimes his team still wins.

YESTERDAYS GAME COULD EASILY HAVE BEEN WON BY THE LIONS....its not like we totally dominated them. the lions had more chances than we had.
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

Akamoke wrote: On the FC vs IC stuff, if CCC wins the ANC, he should be retained, why mess with a winning fomula, the only thing I ask of CCC is that he upgrades himself, no one has absolute knowledge and I believe he is in a good position to excel if he continues to accept advice and try to improve himself, he is not the greatest coach, but he has somehow silenced a few here who think he is clueless
CCC can definitely continued to improve himself as his confidence increases. There has been steady improvements in his selections & tactics. But his player management style has to be less intimidating i.e the expulsion saga. He does not need any more adversity than he already has.

And when he makes the decision to finally move beyond the Kanu era, the new eagus will be even more potent.
mke1010
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mke1010 »

Ayo-You don start again with your baseless rumors and "you heard it here first" ego boosters. OBJ is strictly against the appointment of Fcs' and that is why somehow we continuosly fail to appoint one. However, since you seem to call the shots just make sure this time the person in the running is more qualified than that "junk" coach from England you were trying to sell to us.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Guys, lets take this thing one step & one game at a time. This thread is too premature. We have Tunisia on Wednesday... anything can happen btw now & then... Under C3's watch & control, the SE have steadily been playing better, harder, and more as a team without compromising the Nigerian flair & attacking style. We hope that this trend continues on Wednesday... In any event, regardless of what happens, I'll admit that C3 has won my respect for hanging in there during tough times and having the humility to go back to the drawing board and make effective adjustments to his team. This ANC has already made C3 a better coach, like it or not. Meanwhile, the FC/ LC thing should not even come up at this time... bring it up after the ANC... hopefully, after jj has lifted the cup.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

waka-man wrote:You've gotta give the man the job for another 3 years if, IF, he wins the title.

The one area we've been suspiscious of our managers is their ability to read a game and make changes. After a shocking lack of initiative against Morocco, CCC has been absolutely world class in his ability to get the team to radically change shape, literally on the fly. And remember, Nigeria has come this far without any amazing individual performances. 4 weeks ago if I told you that Nigeria would beat Cameroon without Jag; or that we'd make it this far without him scoring, you laugh my head off.

So, yeah, you have to give the guy the chance. Next winter, for 4 months, get him a serviced flat in London and have him attend as many games throughout Eruope as possible, to watch players but also to get close to some of the leading teams like Arsenal who are pushing the envelop in team development.

That's all we need.

well said. And if not for the fact that he refused to scout the Moroccans,we would have obtained a better result from that game. He watched Cameroon and nullified their threats............
that said,if Eto'o had taken half the chances he had,we'd be talking from the other side of our mouths now.