Enyimba's victory a fluke?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

PaJimoh
Enyimba's victory a fluke?

Post by PaJimoh »

It took over 30 years but we've finally broken through.
We've been close on a few occasions but always the brides maid but never the bride.

I've always thought that it would take a team that is consistent in the national league to win the ACL.

I can remember when a team would win the league and get relegated the following season or just fail to show in the league.

Some teams would even sack their entire team and bring on new players.

I knew that we can never win the ACL with such teams and ideology

It was however refreshing to see Enyimba capture the ACL after a hat-trick of titles in the league. It was this consistency that is to be their weapon. The North Africans have used this to great effect.

All Nigerian teams must emulate this if we are to make this victory the first of many.

Enyimba need to consolidate, by building on the current squad. They need to have the believe that they can do it, again

Nigeria should win the ACL at least once every 2 years. We have the players and teams, we just lack consistency and planning
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Consistency and planning is the word and PaJimoh i won't say it's a fluke but if others who played in the final had won it back then the same players would have stayed with their teams...

You have to understand times have changed and even me if was a member of this team Europe would be my next destination. There is nothing bad in bringing new players to add more bite to a championship team but the management at Enyimba are already looking forward to the future knwoing some of the players who played with them throughout will all be heading to Europe for trials... I don't blame them if they are seeking greener pastures elsewhere.

For example you don't expect Vincent Enyeama to go back to Enyimba right after the ANC :?: He needs to to take his goalkeeping skills to Europe where he will become more of a better keeper due to the training facilities and exposure he will get.
Soldier of Fortune...
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

A Nigerian club could and should have won it sooner but due to mass exodus of players for trials in Europe has not helped.
somebody
Egg
Egg

Post by somebody »

Com' on guyz Eyimba lost only two games through out.
Why do we struggle to live when we are still going to die anyway?
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

The heading reflects what some where saying but my text is merely to prove that it was acheived through consistency and how we can make sure it's not going to be a one off.

What is so amazing is that people will not see why Enimba won it. You just have to look at the North Africans, Like europe, they have their top teams that are always sharing the title between them. These teams go on and win the ACL.
The same in Ghana. But in Nigeria, any team can win the league and any team can be relegated. There are no super powers any more.

Enyimba changed that by winning the league 3 times. What we now need is another team to create great rivalry for the title with Enyimba. These teams will be our fore-runners in the ACL.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Nzogbu Nzogbu Enyimba Enyi
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Larry Ashagbe wrote:A Nigerian club could and should have won it sooner but due to mass exodus of players for trials in Europe has not helped.

I believe Rangers could have won the Cup in 1975, the NFA refused Rangers to play the second leg of the final in Enugu against Hafia of Guinea, instead the match was played at the National stadium in Lagos.

Having said that, the Lagos fans were against Rangers.

Scores-- Hafia 1 Rangers 0......... Rangers 1 Hafia 2
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Hmmm.....fluke or no fluke, Nigeria's name is on the club.

How many 'flukey' wins have clubs had against us in the past?

They say these things even out in the end, if there is any justice we are still due about 5 trophies in the next few years.

Q
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

quickie wrote:Hmmm.....fluke or no fluke, Nigeria's name is on the club.

They say these things even out in the end, if there is any justice we are still due about 5 trophies in the next few years.

Q
True Dat! I am proud of Enyimba's success and it was due and well deserved. Hopefully, other teams will follow. Hopefully, my Insurance will follow. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Waffiman wrote:

Q
True Dat! I am proud of Enyimba's success and it was due and well deserved. Hopefully, other teams will follow. Hopefully, my Insurance will follow. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Waffi don come be dat....only Insurance? How about Delta steel of Aladja? :D :D :D

Q
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

quickie wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Q

Waffi don come be dat....only Insurance? How about Delta steel of Aladja? :D :D :D

Q
So delta steel get football team? In those they were Mcdermott, NPA and PTI
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

quickie wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Q

Q
My bro, Insurance na my team from small, I nor fit change now. I want the best for my Insurance just like The Arsenal.

Men that ball wey we play for St Mary's was orgasmic. I bow for Kolo Toure. His performance was simply awesome !!!! What a fantastic Athlete. Hard to believe how quickly he has become such a fantastic player. We should never let the kid go. Oya! Him brother must be next.
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Waffiman wrote:
quickie wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Q

Q
My bro, Insurance na my team from small, I nor fit change now. I want the best for my Insurance just like The Arsenal.

Men that ball wey we play for St Mary's was orgasmic.
Waffi,
Were you ever tempted with NNB and Flash flamingoes when dem dey play their total football? Be honest....Can't remember many football lovers that didn't like those guys.

Saw NNB mesmerize Stores in Lagos, and one of the few times I'd ever seen Stores fans give opposition a standing ovation.
Also saw Flash play some sexy football against ACB. Although Odiaka and his fellow bullies chanced them 3-2, everyone watched correct footy.

Ol'boy Gunners go kill person.Orgasmic football I agree, but slender leads in a match we dominated like that for give man heart attack.....anyway, as the saying goes in Highbury, "You can't support arsenal with a weak heart"
Something will give this year.....and no be us.

Q
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

quickie wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
quickie wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Q

Q

Men that ball wey we play for St Mary's was orgasmic.
Waffi,
Were you ever tempted with NNB and Flash flamingoes when dem dey play their total football? Be honest....Can't remember many football lovers that didn't like those guys.

Saw NNB mesmerize Stores in Lagos, and one of the few times I'd ever seen Stores fans give opposition a standing ovation.
Also saw Flash play some sexy football against ACB. Although Odiaka and his fellow bullies chanced them 3-2, everyone watched correct footy.

Ol'boy Gunners go kill person.Orgasmic football I agree, but slender leads in a match we dominated like that for give man heart attack.....anyway, as the saying goes in Highbury, "You can't support arsenal with a weak heart"
Something will give this year.....and no be us.

Q
Amen Oh!!! We need some luck injury wise with our thin squad, but the Prof says he wil not buy at Chelski prices, plus the player must be head and shoulders above what we have at present.

Were you ever tempted with NNB? Grrrr.... Was I ever tempted with Spuds? That na my reply. NNB just robbed us Insurance of some of the best players to play Insurance. Kai! When I think of Keshi, Egboigbe, Edobor, Omokaro, e.t.c. I know with those players added to the then Insurance team, we would have cleaned out in Africa. It still hurts today as it did seeing them play for NNB then.

When I first saw Edobor play for Obakawaye for Principals Cup, I said to myself, Insurance has a new star but alas, NNB thief am. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: The funny thing be say NNB start for Sapele, so I really should support them but I admired their play and hated them because they robbed us.
monkeypost
Egg
Egg

Post by monkeypost »

Quikie and Waffi.

NNB what a team, they were the first football club i surpported, the football in those days was breathtaking my auntie actually put that team together she was actually the brain behind the NNB FC she was their then PR director and was her idea to put the team together i became an automatic fan but when i watched the football i became a fanatic. do you remember NNB vs CALABAR ROVERs, NNB vs INSURANCE, NNB vs FLASH and the WAFU cup Competitions do you remember when one Russian team came to visit and beat all the Nigerian club sides except NNB those were the days NNB would have been dropped in the Premiership and would have won the damn thing they were that good.
If you give me Cole and I give you Gallas, surely, SURELY, you owe me money? waka man on the Cole Gallas transfer saga
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Monkeypost,

Those were the good old days, I was always at Ogbe stadium to watch good football, unlike the kind of football they play these days. And we use to hang out around those beer palours on stadium Road before and after matches drinking beer and peper soup.
Last edited by Sir V on Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

NNB was a WONDERFUL team!
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
sunshinestar
Egg
Egg

Post by sunshinestar »

Leventis were better than NNB.
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

All I want is my Eyinmab Jersey,that team is the Nigerian team of the year!
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

sunshinestar wrote:Leventis were better than NNB.
Ol' boy, Nor start that kind argument o....or we argue that one till 2005. Me I cannot say for a fact that Leventis were better although I respected both teams although I didn't support them.

Leventis were very European in their organisation and play, did just enough to win every match...very functional, and always played to their strengths, nothing over the top... while NNB were the daddies of sexy football. You get into the stadium and you know you're gonna be entertained. Kai, could pay to watch those guys anyday.

PS- Anyone know what happened to the Leventis guy Bunmi Adigun?

Waffi, sorry I bigged-up your local rivals, would have been disrespectful not to appreciate what those guys did for Nigerian football.

Q
chopeski
Egg
Egg

Post by chopeski »

Sir V wrote:
Larry Ashagbe wrote:A Nigerian club could and should have won it sooner but due to mass exodus of players for trials in Europe has not helped.

I believe Rangers could have won the Cup in 1975, the NFA refused Rangers to play the second leg of the final in Enugu against Hafia of Guinea, instead the match was played at the National stadium in Lagos.

Having said that, the Lagos fans were against Rangers.

Scores-- Hafia 1 Rangers 0......... Rangers 1 Hafia 2

Ditto Shooting in 1984.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Enyimba has little chance of retaining the trophy. The winning team will be broken up by moves to Europe and no doubt the success will go to some of the player's heads.
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

Wiseoe, that is what I'm afriad of. To most Nigerians, it was long overdue,. They would miss the reason why it happened, which is as a result of continuity, a tight unit.

Until Nigeria becomes like England, Spain, Italy and by that i mean a 2 or 3 tier league where within the Prenier league there are those 2 or 3 teams will will always challenge for honours and those that are always in mid tables and your relegation candidiates, it might take us just as long to repeat this victory.

Shooting comes to mind. They went down just as quickly s they became champions. I think it also happened to El=-khanemi.

Only in Naija will Man U or An Arsenal win the league and get relegated- A shade of Blackburn of old

wiseone wrote:Enyimba has little chance of retaining the trophy. The winning team will be broken up by moves to Europe and no doubt the success will go to some of the player's heads.