Defiant Kanoute ships out

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg
Defiant Kanoute ships out

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

By Wayne Veysey, Evening Standard
31 December 2003

Freddie Kanoute has told the Mali Football Federation that he will defy Tottenham and definitely play in the African Nations Cup.

The striker reiterated his commitment in a phone call yesterday afternoon after Mali bosses became concerned by reports that Spurs would try and persuade him to change his mind.

Kanoute said he is "determined" to play for his adopted country and pledged to join the squad for a training camp in Morocco starting in the second week of January.

The tournament begins on 24 January, with the final on 14 February, in Tunisia.

The Spurs board are privately seething over the Frenchman's decision but it now seems certain that Kanoute, the scorer of seven of their 19 Premiership goals this season, will ignore all pressure to stay.

Haidara Mamadou, assistant secretary of the Malian Football Federation, told Standard Sport yesterday afternoon: "I spoke to Kanoute 30 minutes ago. He said he will come to play and he will join the team in Morocco.

"He said it is his decision. He is very excited and determined to do his best."

Although Mali are not considered one of the favourites for the cup, they reached the semi-finals of the last tournament, held in 2002.

The worst-case scenario for Spurs is that Kanoute is away with Mali for five weeks, missing potentially crucial league and cup games.

While Spurs say they were unaware of Kanoute's intentions when he signed for £4m earlier this summer, Mr Mamadou

pointed out that neither was the French-born player himself.

"About two or three months ago, we made contact with him and he decided to play for Mali because of new FIFA regulations," Mamadou revealed.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

old news
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Kanoute's commitement to Mali is admireable when you compare it to that to some of the South African players.

What a refreshing attitude to see.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

thank u however zimbabwe will loose woefully to nigerian home and away
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Fourteen
Egg
Egg

Post by Fourteen »

Or to some Nigerian players
Tinaye wrote:Kanoute's commitement to Mali is admireable when you compare it to that to some of the South African players.

What a refreshing attitude to see.
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Bigpokey24 wrote:thank u however zimbabwe will loose woefully to nigerian home and away
:D :D :D Now that you have got that of your chest do you feel better?
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Kanoute knows that Spurs have no leg to stand on. I mean he knows he will be thrown into the first eleven when he gets back from the ANC, nice one.
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

Kanoute said he is "determined" to play for his adopted country and pledged to join the squad for a training camp in Morocco starting in the second week of January.
Training starting second week of JANUARY??? Can't believe this... THAT IS JUST TOO EARLY for MALI.
mister dolly

Post by mister dolly »

How can Mali be his adopted country when he is Malian...except of course he was born and raised as a French citizen..
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

:lol: :lol: :lol: you don cra shaaz
VINDAVE wrote:
Training starting second week of JANUARY??? Can't believe this... THAT IS JUST TOO EARLY for MALI.
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

I come dey wonder about that one oh.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

Guys, i am a Spurs supporter, i know we are in relegation trouble, but i am 100% behind Kanoute on this ANC issue. Kanoute or no Kanoute, if Spurs refuse to buy 3 midfielders in January, we can kiss premiership goodbye.

As for David Pleat or Daniel Levy, they should just shut up and get on with the business of saving the team from relegation ignominy; Kanoute playing for Mali, is one of the best news for ANC 2004. Eat your heart out Mr Obafemi Martins who thinks he is bigger than the nation.
Truth needs no support system, it can stand firmly on its legs!!

COYS
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

oluwaseye the 1st. wrote:Guys, i am a Spurs supporter, i know we are in relegation trouble, but i am 100% behind Kanoute on this ANC issue. Kanoute or no Kanoute, if Spurs refuse to buy 3 midfielders in January, we can kiss premiership goodbye.

As for David Pleat or Daniel Levy, they should just shut up and get on with the business of saving the team from relegation ignominy; Kanoute playing for Mali, is one of the best news for ANC 2004. Eat your heart out Mr Obafemi Martins who thinks he is bigger than the nation.
Omashe oh! :wink: :wink: :wink: :D :D :D :D :D Seriously, it looks bad for Spuds. Their form in 2003, is relegation form and I gotta say they look doomed.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

This guy is a right prat. He needs to get down and be loyal for a change. It seems he wants to get relegated 2 seasons in a row. He was never loyal to West Ham, considering he was always injured and still getting aid, now he's doing the same to Spurs at a rucial stage.

I still believe that if the French includes him in their squad, Mali will not get a courtesy call from him.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

But he is being loyal to his country of origin.
Abi you want make e divide himself into two?
PaJimoh wrote:This guy is a right prat. He needs to get down and be loyal for a change. It seems he wants to get relegated 2 seasons in a row. He was never loyal to West Ham, considering he was always injured and still getting aid, now he's doing the same to Spurs at a rucial stage.

I still believe that if the French includes him in their squad, Mali will not get a courtesy call from him.
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

The man has no loyalty. I wonder whose place he's going to take. He's waited for the french call and now he's going to deny some poor soul who has probably played in most of the qualifiers.

My ideal scenario will be for him to go and Spurs to survive and sack his a*s.

Talk IT wrote:But he is being loyal to his country of origin.
Abi you want make e divide himself into two?
PaJimoh wrote:This guy is a right prat. He needs to get down and be loyal for a change. It seems he wants to get relegated 2 seasons in a row. He was never loyal to West Ham, considering he was always injured and still getting aid, now he's doing the same to Spurs at a rucial stage.

Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

Instead of going ANC, Kanoute could be injured and life still goes on with or without him.
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

But he's not injured and chooses to abandon Spurs when he's needed the most. If the club goes down, the cost is incalculable. He'll probably just jump ship and sign for another club.

Larry Ashagbe wrote:Instead of going ANC, Kanoute could be injured and life still goes on with or without him.