I can see Mali beating Morocco tomorrow

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
I can see Mali beating Morocco tomorrow

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Believe it or not, I can see Mali progressing through to the finals of the Nations Cup tomorrow. So far, the Malians have been very lucky and despite not playing well have successfully overcome all the opposition put in front of them.

Thet remind me of Nigeria in 1990 and Zambia in 1994 whereby two not so very good teams managed to bundle their way to the final. Mali may not have the coherent organisation of Morocco, the defensive solidity that Naybet, Ouadou and El Kakhouri provide at the back and the flair of Zairi but they somehow manage to defy the odds.

Against Guinea, Mali were totally outplayed but somehow they got two goals. Freddie Kanoute only needs one sniff of goal and bang, that is it.

Now Mali do not have the talent of Morocco, so I suspect that Stamboili wil get them to sit back and defend very deep. They will then look for Kanoute and Coulibaly on the counter attack, although I suspect that Traore will play upfront alongside Freddie.

Against Guinea, the Malian defence was a shambles and I was looking out for Mohammed Diara who Yujam has shrined a lot on this site but was disappointed to see that he offered very little cover to the back four. Mali will look to learn from those mistakes and I do not believe they will be repeated.

Upfront, Morocco have a potent strike force of Zairi and Chamak, who are as good as anyone in the tournament but I believe there will be too many bodies amassed in front of them to enable them do any damage. Morocco do make the coccasional lapse at the back as we saw agaonst South Africa and Algeria and I believe Kanoute will be there to pounce.

With Kanoute, you always have a chance of winning and I see Mali just sneaking it. As per Nigeria vs Tunisia, that one is too close to call, I believe that game may be decided on defensive errors. Nigeria will need Jaidi to make the same kind of mistake he made against Guinea.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Ayo:
I don't believe that Morocco has superior talent over Mali. But of course, this is just my opinion!

As for Diarra, he is still the best dm in the tourney by far. It was not his fault that the back 4 was overwhelmed by the attacking trio of Camara, Youlla and Mansare. IMO, it was up to the coach - Stambouli - to adjust his formation. He did not do this, resulting in the Guinean attackers running wild on Mali.

Did you see Diarra's goal btw?
Last edited by YUJAM on Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makanaky
Egg
Egg
Re: I can see Mali beating Morocco tomorrow

Post by Makanaky »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Believe it or not, I can see Mali progressing through to the finals of the Nations Cup tomorrow. So far, the Malians have been very lucky and despite not playing well have successfully overcome all the opposition put in front of them.

Thet remind me of Nigeria in 1990 and Zambia in 1994 whereby two not so very good teams managed to bundle their way to the final. Mali may not have the coherent organisation of Morocco, the defensive solidity that Naybet, Ouadou and El Kakhouri provide at the back and the flair of Zairi but they somehow manage to defy the odds.

Against Guinea, Mali were totally outplayed but somehow they got two goals. Freddie Kanoute only needs one sniff of goal and bang, that is it.

Now Mali do not have the talent of Morocco, so I suspect that Stamboili wil get them to sit back and defend very deep. They will then look for Kanoute and Coulibaly on the counter attack, although I suspect that Traore will play upfront alongside Freddie.

Against Guinea, the Malian defence was a shambles and I was looking out for Mohammed Diara who Yujam has shrined a lot on this site but was disappointed to see that he offered very little cover to the back four. Mali will look to learn from those mistakes and I do not believe they will be repeated.

Upfront, Morocco have a potent strike force of Zairi and Chamak, who are as good as anyone in the tournament but I believe there will be too many bodies amassed in front of them to enable them do any damage. Morocco do make the coccasional lapse at the back as we saw agaonst South Africa and Algeria and I believe Kanoute will be there to pounce.

With Kanoute, you always have a chance of winning and I see Mali just sneaking it. As per Nigeria vs Tunisia, that one is too close to call, I believe that game may be decided on defensive errors. Nigeria will need Jaidi to make the same kind of mistake he made against Guinea.
Here we go again............! Just be sure to comeback when Mali get knocked out and don't just be silent.
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
Naija fan
Egg
Egg

Post by Naija fan »

This game is a toss up. If Nigeria beats Tunisia in the first game, I will like to see Morocco win because we tend to do better against North African teams. Also, we get a chance to redeem ourselves from the first game. If we get eliminated by Tunisia, then I will like to see Mali win. I just don't believe that the North African game is good enough to have two North African teams in the final.
Last edited by Naija fan on Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you are not."
azuka

Post by azuka »

Thet remind me of Nigeria in 1990 and Zambia in 1994 whereby two not so very good teams managed to bundle their way to the final.
No Ayo. 1990 yes, Algeria and Nigeria were not the best teams on display. But then the SE beat the bookmakers best team, Zambia in the semi-finals. In 1994, the SE were definitely the best team on display and went ahead to win the Cup. Tell me which other team was better than the SE in 1994. The only team that came close was Cote D'Ivoire.

And BTW, Bradford and your darling Robbo are still rooted in the relegation zone. What do you think?
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Ayo don give Mali kiss of death o....oya, Kanoute, pack ya belongings.

Q
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

YUJAM wrote:Ayo:
I don't believe that Morocco has superior talent over Mali. But of course, this is just my opinion!

As for Diarra, he is still the best dm in the tourney by far. It was not his fault that the back 4 was overwhelmed by the attacking trio of Camara, Youlla and Mansare. IMO, it was up to the coach - Stambouli - to adjust his formation. He did not do this, resulting in the Guinean attackers running wild on Mali.

Yujam, Diarra did not command the midfield as I was expecting him to. Because of your shrining I was looking out for him and he gave the ball away too many times for my liking. His passing was wayward.

Stambouli cannot teach his players how to pass. With regards to talent, I am yet to see anything from Mali that compares with the flair of Chamakh, Zairi, Naybet, El Khakouri, Ouadou, Redragi and Safri but maybe they are saving it for tomorrow.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

azuka wrote:
Thet remind me of Nigeria in 1990 and Zambia in 1994 whereby two not so very good teams managed to bundle their way to the final.
No Ayo. 1990 yes, Algeria and Nigeria were not the best teams on display. But then the SE beat the bookmakers best team, Zambia in the semi-finals. In 1994, the SE were definitely the best team on display and went ahead to win the Cup. Tell me which other team was better than the SE in 1994. The only team that came close was Cote D'Ivoire.

And BTW, Bradford and your darling Robbo are still rooted in the relegation zone. What do you think?
Please read my thread again!!!! I said Zambia in 1994.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Ayo:
Diarra is one of the better DMs in this tourney. At the end of the day, he will be in the all CAF team. Sorry if I think he is better than Seyi.

The problem with Mali was not passing so much, but more to do with marking the lively Guinean attackers.
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
YUJAM wrote:Ayo:

Yujam, Diarra did not command the midfield as I was expecting him to. Because of your shrining I was looking out for him and he gave the ball away too many times for my liking. His passing was wayward.

Stambouli cannot teach his players how to pass. With regards to talent, I am yet to see anything from Mali that compares with the flair of Chamakh, Zairi, Naybet, El Khakouri, Ouadou, Redragi and Safri but maybe they are saving it for tomorrow.
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

it is not impossible.
who no know go know.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Yujam, it was Diarra's job as anchorman to take charge of marking in midfield. The Guinean strikers were dropping off and no one was picking them up. I give him 2/10 for his performance in that game.
hakim075
Egg
Egg

Post by hakim075 »

for Morocco tomorrow, the defense is likely to be disorganized because el karkouri is wounded, the tournament is finished for him, hard blow for Morocco especially into 1/2 final, also knowing that physically the Morrocans will be tired a little because of the played prolongations...
but I think that Morocco has resources and will give all that they have to win
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

hakim075 wrote:for Morocco tomorrow, the defense is likely to be disorganized because el karkouri is wounded, the tournament is finished for him, hard blow for Morocco especially into 1/2 final, also knowing that physically the Morrocans will be tired a little because of the played prolongations...
but I think that Morocco has resources and will give all that they have to win
good luck hakim. I hope your team plays well. They have the fighting spirit
hakim075
Egg
Egg

Post by hakim075 »

thanks my brother, and I wish the same thing for Nigeria, you know very well that I'm your first supportter and that from the very start I predicted a Morocco-Nigeria final, hope that it's concretized
but that will be then a great game and the meeting again, but I don't think that it gives pleasure to okoronko to find again zairi
:D :D
but this time zairi will play all the game and will not leave at the second half like the first time, any gift
Makanaky
Egg
Egg

Post by Makanaky »

I just thought I would bring this thread back up. :lol:
Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!
SUYA

Post by SUYA »

Mkankay u are a true benefit to this board. :x
Pemba
Egg
Egg

Post by Pemba »

Mali lost because of their crap goalkeeper sidibe who let THREE easy goals in. But their defence was weak anyways and they hardly troubled the Moroccan goalie.
realtrouble

Post by realtrouble »

Ayo, don shake sadibe hand