sufferhead: Give credits and sources, please stop 'lifting'!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sampo
Egg
Egg
sufferhead: Give credits and sources, please stop 'lifting'!

Post by Sampo »

As one of the members of this forum who totally is opposed to the prevalent "lifting" phenomenon by some section of journalists and others visiting here, I want to implore you to desist from just cutting and pasting other's works without giving due credits.

The series of articles you have been pasting to the R&R forum here are well known by the Nigerian communities in diaspora. They are readily available from some other Nigerian socio-political sites. In this particular case, I know the series to have been dutifully put together by Dr. Nowa Omoigui. It is great that you bring information to others, as a vehicle but please acknowledge the works of others by citing the source URLs and the authors' names.

I found the habit of cutting and pasting indiscriminately very irresponsible. Even though these articles are already in the open somewhere else, pasting them here without following decency or doing the right thing can also drag this site into disrepute. It won't be right either that anyone hasn't said anything thereby making us indirectly guilty by associating with "subtle plagiarism".

Thank you.
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

Thank you.
You're welcome :mrgreen:
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
Sampo
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

Riche007 wrote:
Thank you.
My note was not meant for you.

Why are you responding to this? Simply because you know you are one of those culprits. This note was not directed at you. You know you are one of those that have been raiding some of my archives (while they are temporarily online just as I was processing and archiving them). You have been posting my screenshots to Eagles' Nest and putting a brave face doing it.

While I have not once addressed you, you are been craving this by jumping into comments meant for other people on this issue (as your conscience tells you the message concerns you - e.g., in my query to an admin online at the time). Anyone else here knows the source of those images, as you do - from the ones I'd already posted earlier, yet you have been the only one stealing them for posting, without the decorum of asking for permission. It is not everything archived there that were meant for Cybereagles.

People like you are a disgrace to the rest of us, Nigerians - and you give us bad names and reputation. I don't know how old or young you may be, though you appear to be playful about it all - but stealing others' works is not something to play with. People get convicted for it in the courts of law, if you don't know. Journalists have been coming here to steal articles and news stories regularly- taking credits for what they haven't worked for. If you're fiddling around, pause and get serious! Do not think that because you are behind some computer far away, you can act any way and not be accountable. You have been warned!

Meanwhile your IP address has been blocked from the index of the archive, where you have been lifting from. And if you don't behave yourself, CE administrators' attention will soon be drawn to your shameful conduct.
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

Sampo wrote:
Riche007 wrote:
Thank you.
My note was not meant for you.

Why are you responding to this? Simply because you know you are one of those culprits. This note was not directed at you. You know you are one of those that have been raiding some of my archives (while they are temporarily online just as I was processing and archiving them). You have been posting my screenshots to Eagles' Nest and putting a brave face doing it.

While I have not once addressed you, you are been craving this by jumping into comments meant for other people on this issue (as your conscience tells you the message concerns you - e.g., in my query to an admin online at the time). Anyone else here knows the source of those images, as you do - from the ones I'd already posted earlier, yet you have been the only one stealing them for posting, without the decorum of asking for permission. It is not everything archived there that were meant for Cybereagles.

People like you are a disgrace to the rest of us, Nigerians - and you give us bad names and reputation. I don't know how old or young you may be, though you appear to be playful about it all - but stealing others' works is not something to play with. People get convicted for it in the courts of law, if you don't know. Journalists have been coming here to steal articles and news stories regularly- taking credits for what they haven't worked for. If you're fiddling around, pause and get serious! Do not think that because you are behind some computer far away, you can act any way and not be accountable. You have been warned!

Meanwhile your IP address has been blocked from the index of the archive, where you have been lifting from. And if you don't behave yourself, CE administrators' attention will soon be drawn to your shameful conduct.
Get a sense of humour young man....life is not that frustrating.....and for ur info, u can accuse me of anything u want to....doesnt take or add anything to me. As far as my conscience is clear, that's what matters.
Meanwhile your IP address has been blocked from the index of the archive, where you have been lifting from. And if you don't behave yourself, CE administrators' attention will soon be drawn to your shameful conduct
Huh? Get a life...... :evil:
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
Rogba
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogba »

Riche007,

According to internet law it is wrong to copy images from another website without there consent. For this reason CE has put up the disclaimer page http://www.cybereagles.co.uk/default.asp?id=disclaimer which protects us from such activities as well as other internet legal issues.

Ideally if you want to copy an image from another site a simple mail or some form of notification and approval of the author is the norm. Sampo, Likewise it is also in the interest of any website, in this case yours, to have a page addressing copyright/disclaimer legal issues.
With God all things are possible
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by original skeepolah »

:|
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

rogba wrote:Riche007,

According to internet law it is wrong to copy images from another website without there consent. For this reason CE has put up the disclaimer page http://www.cybereagles.co.uk/default.asp?id=disclaimer which protects us from such activities as well as other internet legal issues.

Ideally if you want to copy an image from another site a simple mail or some form of notification and approval of the author is the norm. Sampo, Likewise it is also in the interest of any website, in this case yours, to have a page addressing copyright/disclaimer legal issues.
Rogba, Are u trying to say that everyone having a pic as his avatar/signature sent an email to the respective sites?
FYI, i didnt copy any image....i cud have easily put the url in an image html tag rather than just posting the url. Anyone that wanted to see the origin of the pic cud have easily checked on the properties.
View the thread in question: viewtopic.php?p=69107&highlight=#69107
Rogba
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogba »

Riche007, Many sites clearly states that their images are free. Many also don't and if u look carefully u'll see some legal notice in the form of a copyright amd disclaimer message. Currently this forum(phpbb) provides a lot of free avatars which reside in http://www.cybereagles.co.uk/avatars/showfilelist.asp
http://www.cybereagles.co.uk/avatars/ey ... lelist.asp
http://www.cybereagles.co.uk/avatars/pa ... lelist.asp
http://www.cybereagles.co.uk/avatars/pa ... lelist.asp

Above list are free examples. It is a known fact that a lot of people are not aware or conscious of the restrictions of copying images from other websites. It is also imperative that Sampo states clearly on his site that its either free or not free. If you copy an image that happens not be free and the author has stated clearly to be informed if a visitor is interested, then it is an obligation to communicate your interest to get the necessary consent.

As for forumers copying avatars from all over the web, na dem own wahala if they copied something thats not free and they've not got the consent of the owners. True, a lot of images are copied, but if owner nabs u, dat 1 na AGRO.
Rogba
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogba »

Riche007, Sorry my bad. Just saw the images in question and they do have the necessary reference to the author via the url which is visible by clicking properties on the image.

All i can say is that to my knowledge you've not made any copyright or internet law infringements.

Sampo, the url automatically gives credit to the source. The image has not been transferred to another server or computer space without your consent, hence me thinks everything is aiiight.

Abeg, guys just chill.
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

so what of people's quotes people have been using??/Who as cut our head s off for that?/I beg this is a useless meaning less thread, and sampo, i appreciate you concern, but there is no crime in doing that...If there was the whole wholr would be so full of court cases it would make us laugh!!!!!!!!!!We have been cutting and pasting peoples great quotes, and no one is in jail...You think anyone will care if you cut and paste some image. As long you do not claim it as yours, that is what plagiarism is......... :mrgreen:
The wars fought in the world are only a reflection of the wars fought within people....
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

rogba wrote:Riche007, Sorry my bad. Just saw the images in question and they do have the necessary reference to the author via the url which is visible by clicking properties on the image.

All i can say is that to my knowledge you've not made any copyright or internet law infringements.

Sampo, the url automatically gives credit to the source. The image has not been transferred to another server or computer space without your consent, hence me thinks everything is aiiight.

Abeg, guys just chill
Thank you sir!
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

Pocket Lawyer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :|
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

According to internet law it is wrong to copy images from another website without there consent.
Which internet law?
original skeepolah
Eaglet
Eaglet

nanijoe wrote:
According to internet law it is wrong to copy images from another website without there consent.
Which internet law?
I do not know when this law came out, and i have been copying things and pasting(images,wuotes,etc, but giving references) to speeches i have done, essays, etc.................Hmm, i do not know of this. And many people have been doing it for ages...The crime, like i sed earlier is claiming it as yours, or getting money off of it without their consent.................... :wink:
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

I see that the author of this thread has shamefully avoided it after insulting me :shock: :roll: :evil: ....such a LOOSER!!!

Hey Sampo, can u unblock my ip? I want to start selling ur snap shots :roll: msheeeeeeeeeeew!
sufferhead
Egg
Egg

Post by sufferhead »

For your information, i am a qualified lawyer and i know better than to "lift" work written by others, if you were to take your time to read the posts you will see at the begining of most of them that i have posted a link to the site from which they were gotten. Never once did i imply that i wrote any one of the articles. I simply posted them so as to share the articles with my fellow forumites. I do not appreciate your message and i you need to get your facts right before throwing such tosh at others. I care not for your opinion and i will continue to post any article i deem fit to be shared with reasonable forumites.

Thank you

Sufferhead
Rogba
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogba »

Gentlemen,

There is such a thing as law on the internet and governments and legal institutions are increasingly paying loads of attention to this issue. Why do you think many websites go to the extent of posting copyright and disclaimer messages on there websites? Go figure.
View URL's below

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/
http://www.clickdocs.co.uk/internet-law.htm
http://www.ipwatchdog.com/hyperlinking.html
http://www.ipwatchdog.com/hyperlinking.html#f1
http://www.ipwatchdog.com/ticketmaster.html
http://wassom.com/writings/note_index.htm

For now its the big boys that can afford to put up a case. As I mentioned earlier it takes nothing for a user to give credit to a source.

I can understand Sampo's concern for stating his concerns. The simple thing is to acknowledge that because its him or/and his associates that have put in the donkey work to get the product that is being redistributed.
Last edited by Rogba on Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sufferhead
Egg
Egg

Post by sufferhead »

Rogba i understand you perfectly, however sampo or whatever he chooses to call himself, was unnesesarily confrontational. Anyway all the best to him i hope whatever is bothering him will come to pass.

Thank you
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

sufferhead wrote:For your information, i am a qualified lawyer ...
Sufferhead
Which kain sufferhead lawyer u be? :lol: :lol: :lol:
sufferhead
Egg
Egg

Post by sufferhead »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: