Olofinjana defends self on penalty

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Jmal
Egg
Egg

Post by Jmal »

Ziontrain wrote:Look it was said way before this that Seyi alone cannot hold down DM by himself. You hype merchants wouldn't listen. Now you want to make him a scapegoat? Haba!!

Even Wenger saw that even Viera alone cannot play DM alone in the modern game: thus the presense of first Petit and now Gilberta. So I really don't know what ya'll are smoking to think that SeYi alone will play DM on an attacking team like this. He cant do it alone - NOBODY can.

This was a huge task for Olofinjana to play this position as a rookie in a major tournament. The competition was tough and our team was never settled. Yet you cannot say that Seyi left any drop of sweat unshed. He gave all that he had. As a coach that is all you can ever ask of a player: "give me everything you got, don't save it for tomorrow or the next game". This guy gave it all for 90 mins + overtime.

The guy is extremely intelligent and he will for sure learn from this. Unlike a lot of other players, this guy will actually go back, reflect and work on his weak points - he is very coachable and motivated. A true pro. If you stuck him in any office, I have no doubt he would learn and suceed equally fast there. He WILL improve.

But he's still gonna need another physical DM as a partner. Bottom line - thats what this team needs: 4-2-3-1 formation
WELL U ARE RIGHT ON THAT...NEXT TIME WE PLAY OBODO+OLOFINYANA...WILL BE FINE..OKOCHA CAN PLAY BEHIND STRIKERS IF HE WANT OR...SMOKE HIS GREEN GRASS..
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

If two DM's were instrumental to the success of the eagus style in 1994, what reason do we have to beleive that one DM will be sufficient in 2004 ? especially a rookie DM.

hence, rationally, if we drop to one DM, we must have something to FULLY compensate for the missing DM. so what was it ? this is one more problem we have in Nigeria - failure to build on past knowledge.

throughout the tournament, the eagus had less possession of the ball than their opponent, possibly in every game played. so how can we play one DM in such a circumstance. playing a second DM could have reversed that imbalance.
Larry Ashagbe

Post by Larry Ashagbe »

kali wrote:Olofinjana showed how raw he was because the Tunisians were not looking to score but looking for a penalty and when he ONCE again mistimed the tackle and left his leg in the D, the Tunisian leaped onto it like a lifesaver. Bad acting by Tunisia and a really DUMB move by Olofinjana. But it was a learning experience and I hope he gets better.
You are 100% correct.

Yobo, Abbey, Udeze and Okoronkwo knew what the Tunisians were looking for and were very calm in the way they marked them.

Seyi is still very raw and was worried for him throughout the whole match of not picking up a second yellow card.
Cristao
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao »

in my opinion naija faltered when Ekueme came on ...

Seyi did well by my books .. ok he didnt pass very well but in tackling i loved that guy .. Notice the amount of aerials balls we won in our half ... He has a future with the super Eagles ..

i agree though 4-2-3-1 might be the way to go ..

Gk Enyeama
RB Abbey RCB Yobo LCB West LB Udeze
RDM Olofijiana LDM Obodo (Any other playa aprt from Okocha)
RAM Utaka CAM Okocha LAM Kanu
ST Aghahowa ( i think Martins might be perfect here)