The truth/nothing but the truth about Nigerian football!!!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

well i am not a coach but any coach that starts with 5 attacking players in the 1st match against morroco is either naive or arrogant okocha,utaka,kanu,aiyegbeni,agahowa-no ball winners in the midfeild,left to an inexperienced viera poor comparison olofijana, i mean he cannot pass a simply ball,lawal the most in-effective left side midfield player ever to emerge from the country,basically we did not have any threat from both width,and then we say we are playing 4-4-2, i mean its like saying' you want to shoot someone with a gun but you have no bullets' the 2 players who were quite versatile on both flanks ikedia and osaze were left to rot on the bench in the 1st match,any coach that starts with 2 players in okoronkwo and lawal who have not tasted football for ages is either mad-its definitely a third world mentality,things you will never see amongst the top teams in europe,if Nigeria were to play a decent european side with our crap midfield,we will get whacked, CCC wrecked our chances, he did not have the courage to drop kanu when it was glaring that he was begging to be substituted,and he even has the nerves to say we can win the world cup!!!! on what planet????
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
iyerebee
Egg
Egg

Post by iyerebee »

Dombraye wrote:you can go F**K yourself Marko or whatever your name is....we have a team, and Nigeria Soccer is on it's way back to the top.

Your post is a reflection of what idleness will do to a nasty creature.... :twisted: :evil:

haba, Marko is entitled to his own opinion and the fact cannot be taken away that there is some truth in what he said, but the way forward is not in destructive "let's burn them all" kinda criticism, let's all try and contribute sthg positive so that we can move this entity foward called Nigeria and it's football :arrow:
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

yes thats what am tryin to contribute to nigerian football-team selection based on merit alone- not reputation,if they done this,the likes of kanu,lawal,okoronkwo would not have started a game
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: The truth/nothing but the truth about Nigerian football!

Post by Cellular »

marko wrote:The most important thing to note is our national football team is a reflection of Nigerian society at large!!!

True! And like our society, it is not perfect... (we are a work in progress)

I was waiting to see how far we would reach at this tournament before i lay into the team, reaching the semi-finals was so deceiving and it did not reflect how we played in our 4 games. Guess, you belong in the "Can't wait for us to be bounced crew" so I can say, "ahem, I told you guys we were crap"... hindsight perfect vision! (una don finish una celebration?)

The squad in my estimation was probably the worst Nigerian squad apart from the ANC 2002 squad.Certain players that had no business in the team were Okoronkwo,lawal,kanu,Olofijana( who said this is the new African Viera)and babayaro,agali,Aiyegbeni,so basically we only took 15 players on merit,3 got sent home,the quality players were left on the bench to watch in anguish with what we pass for football.
No! The worst squad in recent memory was our 2002WC squad, cause we actually had good players that we could not take due to Sports Ministry insistence... on this squad, you will be stupid or senile not to take Okoronkwo (after his display against Brasil..and has been a regular for the longest time... had a woeful ANC)... Lawal gave a good a account of himself, Olofinjana (going into the ANC was a bonafide starter, he is still very much relevant to the Eagles... did not have a good ANC but we are talking about before the tourney)... Babayaro (you London crew would have skinned anyone alive who remotely suggested that Babayaro not be taken... you all argued that he was our "best" LB (can't vouch for his commitment and therein lies the problem with ClubBabayaro)... Agali, will not invite him, has NO business on that team, have not played for Nigeria in a while (a perennial malcontent)... the decision to send the players home was a bad one, we all agree...

We did not take any midfielders to the tournament,no ball winners,good passers of the ball,lawal can only tackle but that is all,Olofijana should be a defender,he has no business in the midfield,Okoronkwo was so unfit or probably old age has finally caught up with him,i do not care if he says he is only 24!!!. Yes, we did not take midfielders to the tourney... one of the problems with Chukwu (his selection was dumbfounding to a lot of us)... Olofinjana, forget the over hyping by Ayo, bobo is a very good player... like I said earlier he is very much relevant in the Eagus, if you think he was bad, just imagine playing without him, he did a lot of work that were not visible to a lot of football fans, (once again a victim of the coaches tactics)... Okoronkwo, had a miserable ANC... enough said... it was not old age... his reaction and anticipation was off to say the least...

Kanu has seen it all,he has given Nigeria all he can and shuld have retired from active football after the last world cup in 2002-but it still baffles me why he is still playing. Kanu actually played well in spots he is not a 90 mins man... once again, the selection let us down... there were no adequate replacement for Kanu and a coach that is afraid to remove an ineffective Kanu troubles me a lot... (contrast that to what happened when he was subbed due to injury against SA? Osaze comes in 2 goals latter people are wondering what he was doing ridding the bench?)

Okocha should finally retire from international football and leave Nigeria to puck up the pieces,his 3 goals were very flattering and if yu take this away,he hardly done anything worth of mention.he played the sort of football that used to drive coaches crazy throughout this tournament,never playing the simple pass,always prefering to dribble for cheap points,his tricks and flicks might work in Europe but in Africa,we are used to these sort of tricks,I am not taking anything away from him but it is time for other players to come in. I'm an Okocha basher, I will point out to you that Olofinjana's supposedly bad ANC can be linked to Okocha... (we can open a new thread to discourse how this came to be)... but in all honesty, this is by far the best tourney JJ has had for Nigeria, he did run his socks off, he was constantly commanding serious attention from our opposition... we need to surround him with hard workers in midfield... dude worked extremely hard and spent more time defending than going forward...played too deep to be very effective…(another victim of Chukwu's tactics)

The only players that came out with any credit are Enyeama,Yobo,Abbey,osaze,Aghahowa,utaka,Ekwueme,Ikedia and these should form the nucleus of the future super eagles.
Please kindly remove Ekwueme and Ikedia from the list... can you name one positive contribution from those two? Put your head down and running through a maze does not mean Jack!... Add Joe Enakahire, Lawal (if just for the job he did against Geremi), and JJ...

We won the African champions league in Enyimba-only 1 player started the 4 matches,are we saying that the players from that team were not good enough to be in the squad?? They were invited to the training camp... ANC is not a trial ground... non of the players were making the debut for Naija in the Nations Cup... we needed help in midfield... did they have a midfielder we could have taken?

Like i earlier said,our football reflects Nigerian society at large,look at our government,recycled leadership,corruption,bribery,no administration,fraud,embezzlement-then look at the super eagles and see if these all fits into place-sad answer is yes.
I agree, we should all seek to have the best man for the job... having said that, when the present administration (coach and administrators) do something good, we should acknowledge them... it does not distract from the fact that they did not deserve the job in the first place...

Our football has not moved on since 1996 after we won the olympics-it is so sad to say the football has moved backwards in the opposite direction,Nigerian football is thrash for whomcares to listen. We regressed due to politically reasons, the withdrawal from the 96 ANC and the subsequent ban in 98... yet we were still able to top our WC group in 98...go figure (but you won't remember that, cause it was a positive thing)

We had a good opportunity in Onigbinde to move our football forward,he brought out many unknown players,gave new players a chance to fight for a place in the team,the likes of ikedia,osaze,aghahowa,enyeama,Yobo,Justice,Ejiofor,Ogeche amongst many were given further opportunities-but we sacked him why? because we did not get to the 2nd round in a group consisting of England,argentina,sweden,we only conceeded 3 goals in the group stages-Aregentina even went out in the 1st round-does this make them a bad team overnight??? Please, don't bring Onigbinde into this. You definitely don't know the history of our players, Ogbeche was invited to play the 2002 ANC but choose to fight for permanent deal at PSG... Osaze was truely an Onigbinde find... the other players were not discovered or given their first opportunity by Onigbinde... Onigbinde did not move our football forward, we finished DEAD LAST in our group for the first time in our WC history...(how is that moving our football forward)... the man was put in a difficult situation and was made more difficult by the powers that be not wanting to allow him use some of the players that would have made his life a lot easier... he put the lexicon "not being disgraced" into our vocabulary... listen, if the 98 squad could win their group despite the most atrocious preparation of ANY Naija squad, then the 2002 squad was a complete disappointment...

We went back to square one,appointed a coach with no credentials who felt inferior to the super stars of the team,we all knew Knau cant play 90minutes,it was all glaring that the coach had to take him off the pitch to relieve him of his agony of playing what he passes as football at international level,young fit legs were only given a chance for 5 minutes.You expose your ignorance, how is CCC without credentials? As opposed to Robson? how did he feel inferior to the superstars? Babayaro? Agali? Aiyegbeni? JAG? oh the tired Kanu debate? playing Kanu 90 minutes? When he did not play him 90mins didn't we lose that game? I'm not a Kanu fan (90mins fan..but he still remains the best at creating chances around the box), but playing Kanu more minutes than he deserves is not a thing unique to CCC...check 2002 WC game against Argentina!

In football you reap what you sow,and if you invite players like Lawal,no club,Olofijana,playing in an obscure league in norway,Ekong,far as china,okoronkwo,part-time footballer,kanu,part time player,babyaro,part time player,playboy,what do we expect????Why do you keep repeating the same argument? see previous posts... don't you have better arguments? Olofinjana and Kanu deserved to be on the team...plain and simple...

I will say this for anyone that knows a dime about football,unless the government scraps the NFA and appoint real people that are intersted in our football,retire all the age cheats,go back to grassroot levels and bring out real talent,real age,we are going no where-some players now use the super eagles as a means of getting a new club contract,no one cares if we win,some players will get their £40,000 a week,the Nigerian fans are left in agony once again-it never ends-the suffering of the people that watch football is that bad-I agree, but change does not come over night... you say that we are reflection of our society... well it must start with our society... at least the NFA did their own part... they persecuted a successful ANC (as far as administration is concerned)... next is for them to continue implementing their vision of Naija footie...

Can our football change??? can the government change its ways?? whoever can answer 1 of these questions can answer the other one-our football is sadly in demise,we do not produce top notch players anymore,many average players are coming to europe and wew think they are the next big thing because they cheat their way into big clubs,the home based players who i think are the real talent are never given a chance because the likes of kanu,okocha dictate who gets invited to camp-how Obodo did not make the squad-who knows-our football is finished Lies and more lies, Kanu and JJ do not dictate who gets invited... for your information, Obodo was invited for the Olympics qualifies and had such a bad performance that the NFA Secretary General even pointed out publicly that the guy was terrible... was Okocha and Kanu in the Olympic team... this is the same nonsense that Ade Ojeikere (sp) suggested that Kanu and JJ wont pass the ball to Obafemi Martins because he is not in their clique of friends (or is it ethnic persuasion)...how ludicrous! How can someone cheat their way into big clubs? Listen to your self mannn!... try and make some sense...

i FINALLY RETIRE FROM COMMENTING ON NIGERIAN FOOTBALL,IT IS NOT WORTH MY TIME AND EFFORT,THE AFICAN NATIONS CUP WAS SO ERRATIC,PLAY LESS THAN TECHNICAL,REMINDS OF WATCHING THE ACADEMICALS IN THE 70S-NORTH AFRICAN FOOTBALL IS BACK ON THE RISE,GOOD LUCK TO THEM,THEY HAVE DONE THIER HOMEWORK,DIVIDENDS ARE NOW PAYING OFF, Thank you for quitting... we will miss you... :roll: The Tunisians win on penalites at HOME and they are vastly superior to Nigeria? Don't blame you... you did not expect much anyway...

OUR LOCAL COACHES EXCEPT ONIGBINDE HAVE NO CLASS AT ALL,OUR TEAM IS 3RD RATED,IF CHUKWU THINKS WE CAN WIN THE WORLD CUP,HE MUSH HAVE SOMETHING ELSE COMING,AN AVERAGE EUROPEAN SIDE WILL TEAR NIGERIA INTO PIECES-OH DENMARK HAVE DONE THAT ALREADY Onigbinde again? Why drag this man into your baseless ranting? Our team is 3rd rate, yet they took your mighty North African champions to penalties, wow Tunisia must be a grade above 3rd rate... Denmark in 98... wow I thought you would bring some team like England that shredded Germany 5-1... but according to you, we are sooooo bad that we should not bother playing...

ID SAY
OKOCHA RETIRE (he retires when he deems fit)
KANU RETIRE (not a 90mins guy)
OKORONKWO RETIREHad a bad ANC lost his spot should be allowed to compete for it...
LAWAL RETIRE Cause you have a better alternative
BABAYARO RETIRE (he does not want to play for NAija)
AGALI RETIRE (should have been invited in the first place)
AIYEGBENI RETIRE (very much relevant to SE future)
OLOFIJANA RETIRE (you all with have an egg on your faces, bobo can play and will show it... just had an average ANC)
LEAVE OUR FOOTBALL ALONE,PLEASE GO AND LOOK FOR SOMETHING ELSE TO DESTROY,YOU HAVE DONE ENOUGH DAMAGE-PLEASE GOD HELP US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You all will be singing a different tone when they settle in and are not over-rawed by the moment...
Up Naija!!!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Destroy and rebuild was a phrase uttered by liberationists, freedom fighters and one that has taken nest in the world of football. Why build your hopes on unproductive, scarred soil. Irrespective of who nigeria turn to, if they do so at all. Realisation has to kick in, this is a pain-staking task. For whomever is entrusted with the task of restoring nigeria's former glory, must first clean up the rubble and ruin left behind from failed attempts. Rationality must replace expectation, and optimism place its feet firmly on the ground.

One can simply dress the cut, giving it a tidy appearance, or heal the wound. Cure the illness, or prevent the disease. People, now is the time for realisation, in order for progression, we must do more than scratch the surface, but reach inside and expose those deep seeded problems. Improving our football at grass roots level, supplementing resources and most importantly, evaluating the effeciency of our FA. Footballers know football, you cannot learn football from the spectators chair, but being on the pitch, every stride furthers ones experience, and experience is the priceless necessity required for progression, and upward mobility.

Who knows the ins and outs of the NFA, but i dont doubt the ugly face of greed and politics takes seat amongst the members. Experience is the key, look at the English FA's recent appointments, Mark Palios, Trevor Brooking, both former professionals, and well respected in their profession. Football is a language in its own right, and those who cannot speak it, should have no voice in its discussion. A commitee of former professionals, would be beneficial to the present state and future of nigerian football. Respect is given to those respected, so let us have a respectable governing body.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

marko wrote:well i have made my point for anyone that cares to listen
Point taken and discarded :D :D :D :D
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Open your eyes, for if you fail to see the wound now, it will bleed into to precariousness before its shows its face again. You cannot fault a man for fault-finding. Like every nigerian, i dont want to see nor accept inferiority, nor incapability. But there comes a time when ones resolve is spent, and he must turn and face the beast he has so long avoided. A parasite is eating its way through nigerian football. Riddled with controversy and corruption at its head, and littered with inefficiency at its feet, the beautiful rose of potential and promise is wiltering under mismanagement and neglect.

Enyimba recently won the african champions cup, what did our NFA do to further the reputation of nigerian football. The phrase 'strike while the irons hot' comes to mind. Having won in 66' England promoted the development of english football. More resources were made available, and they created an interest in the game, amongst those were disinterested. The achievements of Enyimba fall on deaf ears in the world of football, for not many recognise their achievement.

Investment into nigerian football should've been made, the format of the domestic league strengthened, facilities and the appeal of nigerian football improved. Instead, backsides were overemployed as guys sat in their chairs basking in the air of success, sunning their egos.

The only way nigerian football will develop is if they learn how to speak, feel and live football. Take trips abroad, watch and admire the stability of domestic football in other continents. Gain FIFA recognised qualifications for coaching, and so paint the face of nigerian football with a serious expression.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

yes thats what am talking about-to produce more top notch players,a lot of investment has to be made at grassroot levels,football academies,nigeria is a footballing nation so basically we should pump more money into the sport-host inter-state age group competitions,pump more money into the league and we aill start seeing results-i still insist that the team did not play to their potential and the coach has no clue about football-

FOOTBALL SHOULD NOT BE BASED ON SENTIMENTS-FREE UP YOUR MIND,WATCH THE EUROPEANS,THEY HAVE PRODUCED WORLD CUP WINNERS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF BRAZIL-NO AFRICAN TEAM HAS NEVER GONE PAST THE QUARTER FINALS,WE HAVE BEEN PLAYING WORLD CUP FOOTBALL ALMOST FOR 3 DECADES!!!!

Marko
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Its pleasing to see somebody shares a similar vision for nigeria. Naivety keeps the people from realisation. Simply fielding 11 better players will not fuel progression, rather dress a bleeding wound, which will continue to bleed beneath its cover.

Before change can be implemented, a serious approach must be fostered. Nigeria must expect to be taken seriously and be respected by fellow footballing nations, to achieve this, they must rid themselves of this circus of an FA that holds a black mark over nigerian football. Look at the US, and their emergence on the footballing scene. Not long ago, MLS was the hospital for fallen greats, where they were resucitated, and able to extend their careers by a year or two, albeit, playing as a shadow of their former selves. The laughing stock of world football, they faced the man in the mirror, saw the problems and made the amendments.

Arguably one of the most improved sides in the previous world cup, they are reaping from the seeds they sowed. Establishment of a respected FA, harbouring former professionals from various continents, lead to the construction of footballing academies, youth training schemes and major revamps of their domestic league. Today, we have witnessed an influx of american players in the most reputable footballing leagues, Tim Howard at Man Utd, Carlos Bocanegra at Fulham, along with Brian McBride, Landon Donavan at Leverkeusen and so on.

America came from nowhere, once deemed the sleeping giants, it appears that the man mountain has finally woken. Analogies can be drawn between the two countries, in footballing terms. Nigeria is the 'Elephant', potentially a considerable force, who at the moment is being frightened into submission by the mice of Tunisia and Morocco. We have to recognise the task, the first step in solving a problem is acceptance of its existence. Indeed, we can find short term solutions for our problems, sort the line-up out, get off to a good world cup qualifying campaign, and all eyes are blind to the problem. It wont go, till it is solved. It may hide behind good results and performances, but at some stage, the gaping wound will bleed through to the surface once again.

Destroy and rebuild the FA, with serious personel who understand football, can communicate with the players, and so get the best out of them. Too many times our ears are burdened by rumours of discontent and fued. Professionals know what its like to be a professional, they know how to handle expectation and most importantly they are the masters of preparation. You cant learn football from a book, nor by watching games, you have to be involved in all its minor and major incidences. How many times must we be told, you cant construct a team just by scribbling 11 names on a piece of paper, you have to give players the impetus, the motivation, state your intention and build around your aim. If you cant speak the language of football, you will fall at the first hurdle.

Nigeria have a good crop of young players coming through, and others who need to be moulded into their capacity. It is both the club and the countries duty to further the development of their players. A national manager must expect his player to arrive more able than before, and the club manager, expect him to return a better player. Players should not be called up because of past reputations, but because of the contributios they are making domestically, and the progress they have been making internationally. Such progress will only be made under the right tutorship, by former pofessionals with experience of the particular position.

All that glitters is not gold, nigerian nationality seems to shine out from amongst the crowd. Though refreshing it may be to have kindred spirits working with the national team, its no garuntee of success. Players will listen if there is something to learn, their are alot of former professionals, be they nigerian, english,asian, martian, whatever, whose knowledge would benefit our team, players and FA. These are the type of people we have to be looking at, our domestic league will not improve itself, rather its need to be afforded time and effort, to turn over the first stone. Our national team will not learn from those with nothing to teach. We must address the issue here, and begin closing the wound.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

yes thats quite true america is a perfect example of how investment can help to reach its potential-our football will continue to be 2nd rated

Marko