If it were Robson....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Personally, I would never have hired Bryan Robson, so I would not retain him....but since the NFA pulled up all stops to hire him, there is little or NO DOUBT that they would!
Sir Vic
Egg
Egg

Post by Sir Vic »

If we have to consider the time Robson would have resumed duty as coach , I would say retain him.

As per Chukwu, I think he is not good enough to handle the team. Tactically, Chukwu messed up.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Other coaches that took up their jobs at the same time as Robson was about to be appointed included Henri Stambouli of Mali and Guy Stephan of Senegal.

Both of them are being retained in their jobs despite theoir teams not doing as well as they expected. It is sheer lunacy, to appoint a coach and after two months into a three year contract fire him.

Even if the team finish bottom of the group, surely it makes sense to retain hiom and start working on building some sort of structure. Too many of you are looking for instant success, which does not come easily. It took Clememce Westerhoff five years to build the 1994 team.

Back to Chukwu, I am sure even he will admit that this is as far as he can take the team. Even if given 10 years in charge, I doubt if he will ever get beyond an ANC semi final.
legend
Egg
Egg

Post by legend »

Eagle Winged wrote:Riche007, what about the fact that Chukwu has been in charge for nearly 2 years, while Robson would have only been in charge for a couple of months?

Fact is, if Robson (infact, any Englishman) had led us to 3rd place there'd be hell to pay. But for CCC, 3rd place is acceptable. Now THATS what i call colo-mentality.

CRAP TALKER!!! but I still love your website.
legend
Egg
Egg

Post by legend »

Sir Vic wrote:If we have to consider the time Robson would have resumed duty as coach , I would say retain him.

As per Chukwu, I think he is not good enough to handle the team. Tactically, Chukwu messed up.

Sir Vic, what about a CCC and Uysien combination-Now that will be acceptable to you.
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hehehe,
txj... nice question. Now see all of them sweating. Robson would have come under severe fire for the Morocco loss let alone the poor displays we put together throughout.
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
azuka

Post by azuka »

Can you guys forget about this Robbo of a rubbish. How you guys can be talking about Robbo in the same breath as our SE amaze me. This is a guy who since taking over at Bradford has won only one match. All subsequent matches have been lost. Instead of thinking about Robbo and the SE, we should all join hands in praying that he does not lose his Bradford job very soon. If he does, that would be the death bell of his coaching career.
muzines
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by muzines »

Ayo will always support Robson because Ayo was supposed to get a cut of his salary, and the gate takings from matches. His moronic rantings on this site are just that...moronic.
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Conservative: a liberal who has been mugged by reality.
Bell

Post by Bell »

THEYEMSTER, I CAN'T SPEAK FOR YOU, BUT...

...if somebody offered me two cars of equal appeals, my first question would be: how much does either cost?
Bell
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

Bell wrote:THEYEMSTER, I CAN'T SPEAK FOR YOU, BUT...

...if somebody offered me two cars of equal appeals, my first question would be: how much does either cost?
Bell
....what if i offered an option btw a hummer and a peugeot 504?

Bottomline....that question bothers on the quality of both "quantities".
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Other coaches that took up their jobs at the same time as Robson was about to be appointed included Henri Stambouli of Mali and Guy Stephan of Senegal.

Both of them are being retained in their jobs despite theoir teams not doing as well as they expected. It is sheer lunacy, to appoint a coach and after two months into a three year contract fire him.
AYO:
Please listen to your TOTURED logic: retain foreign coaches who UNDERPERFORM and to dismiss indigenous coaches who don't (in fact, who OVERPERFORMED going by your own personal pre-tourney predictions on this forum).
Even if the team finish bottom of the group, surely it makes sense to retain hiom and start working on building some sort of structure. Too many of you are looking for instant success, which does not come easily. It took Clememce Westerhoff five years to build the 1994 team.
That twisted and totured logic yet again: grant foreigners five years to build a team, but dismiss indigenous coaches at the first sign of "adversity" (real or perceived) .
Back to Chukwu, I am sure even he will admit that this is as far as he can take the team. Even if given 10 years in charge, I doubt if he will ever get beyond an ANC semi final.
After you PUBLICLY PREDICTED on these pages that Nigeria was unlikely to get out of its group with Chukwu in charge, why should any sane person take your "doubts" seriously?!
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

This is where I disagree with co-FC campaigner! Whatever logic for FC is been misrepresented through the illogical argument been spewed on this thread. It is not about getting just any coach, the argument should be about getting the best coach for SE! And as far as CCC goes he does not have any problem working for an FC and to me that is a clear admission that we may not find the best coach for SE among IC as he is currently the best face for IC. So my conclusion remain Go for the best FC
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Bell

Post by Bell »

PRACTICALLY SPEAKING, FURIOUSLY FRANK...

...what gives you the idea that "the best coach" wants to work in Nigeria and under the NFA? And, assuming the NFA can pay him, have you considered the possibility that you may not be getting good value for your money?
Bell
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

furiously frank wrote:This is where I disagree with co-FC campaigner! Whatever logic for FC is been misrepresented through the illogical argument been spewed on this thread. It is not about getting just any coach, the argument should be about getting the best coach for SE! And as far as CCC goes he does not have any problem working for an FC and to me that is a clear admission that we may not find the best coach for SE among IC as he is currently the best face for IC. So my conclusion remain Go for the best FC
But they are not asking for the best FC... and therein lies the problem!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

The question sir is, would YOU retain him?

Gotti wrote:Personally, I would never have hired Bryan Robson, so I would not retain him....but since the NFA pulled up all stops to hire him, there is little or NO DOUBT that they would!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Txj, at $50,000 per month, anything short of the finals would have been a total waste of money. Why??? Cause, more than ample evidence exists to show that with local coaches, the worst we have been GUARANTEED is a third place finish... AO, Amodu, Chukwu.. look it up... and lets just say that those local guys didn't cost the country even half 25% of $50,000 per month... Likewise, evidence exists to show that local coaches can qualify us for both the ANC and the WC... so, whomever those NFA clowns want to shove down our collective throats better have the capability of delivering at the highest level... Finals of ANC + Semi's of WC... trust me: anything short will be a disappointment and total WASTE of money that could have been invested in our own people.
Enugu II
Re: If it were Robson....

Post by Enugu II »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:...who coached Nigeria to this same third place finish, playing football at the level we did...
would you ask that he be retained?
Yes or no...
txj:

what is your own answer? and why?

Txj:

We are still waiting for your own answer as well.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

G4L
So its a question of money not football.....
Interesting perspective on a strictly footballing issue...

green4life wrote:Txj, at $50,000 per month, anything short of the finals would have been a total waste of money. Why??? Cause, more than ample evidence exists to show that with local coaches, the worst we have been GUARANTEED is a third place finish... AO, Amodu, Chukwu.. look it up... and lets just say that those local guys didn't cost the country even half 25% of $50,000 per month... Likewise, evidence exists to show that local coaches can qualify us for both the ANC and the WC... so, whomever those NFA clowns want to shove down our collective throats better have the capability of delivering at the highest level... Finals of ANC + Semi's of WC... trust me: anything short will be a disappointment and total WASTE of money that could have been invested in our own people.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: If it were Robson....

Post by txj »

EII
If he won a silver, playing as we did in winning bronze under CCC, I'll say SACK HIM! And fast!

Enugu II wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:...who coached Nigeria to this same third place finish, playing football at the level we did...
would you ask that he be retained?
Yes or no...
txj:

what is your own answer? and why?

Txj:

We are still waiting for your own answer as well.
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

Txj:

Thanks. I really wanted to know your answer to the question.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Nigeria won the ANC in:

1980 with Otto Gloria
1994 with Clemence Westerhoff

If a tactically astute coach is appointed, more cups could be won but with CCC, forget it. I find it disgusting that people like Gotti cannot find it within themselves to admit that Chukwu is out of his league here.

With him in charge, the Eagles will never win the cup in a thousand years. Just look at some of the comical thingts he did:

(1) Playing JJ deep where he would be of minimal harm to the opposition
(2) Playing Seyi Olofinjana as the sole anchorman
(3) Fielding his weakest penalty saver for the shootout

I do not want to go on to 10 points but come on guys, let's have a little bit of honesty here please!
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

txj wrote:G4L

green4life wrote:Txj, at $50,000 per month, anything short of the finals would have been a total waste of money. Why??? Cause, more than ample evidence exists to show that with local coaches, the worst we have been GUARANTEED is a third place finish... AO, Amodu, Chukwu.. look it up... and lets just say that those local guys didn't cost the country even half 25% of $50,000 per month... Likewise, evidence exists to show that local coaches can qualify us for both the ANC and the WC... so, whomever those NFA clowns want to shove down our collective throats better have the capability of delivering at the highest level... Finals of ANC + Semi's of WC... trust me: anything short will be a disappointment and total WASTE of money that could have been invested in our own people.
Txj, you're twisting my logic... It's a question of productivity... it's a question of efficiency... what is a 'footballing issue' if we play great organized ball and there's great tactics and all coming from the sidelines... but we finish 3rd in the ANC again... or we're eliminated from the WC (1st or 2nd rd)... or worse yet, as BJ tried to prove, we fail to qualify for the WC... So yes, money + production are primary considerations for me. No fan wants to be told that we played well, meanwhile we failed to survive the group stages of the WC or got bounced out, like Cameroon & Senegal, in the QF's of the nations cup... no I don't think so. I will not tolerate that crap. If a man will step to the table and with a straight face demand $50,000 per month... he better be a freaking messaih as far as I'm concerned... NO EXCUSES. 8)
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

....so then the issue for you is the 50k!
Let me ask you- what if the man was being paid 2k/month or same as CCC, would you accept him if he won a bronze?

green4life wrote:
txj wrote:G4L

Txj, you're twisting my logic... It's a question of productivity... it's a question of efficiency... what is a 'footballing issue' if we play great organized ball and there's great tactics and all coming from the sidelines... but we finish 3rd in the ANC again... or we're eliminated from the WC (1st or 2nd rd)... or worse yet, as BJ tried to prove, we fail to qualify for the WC... So yes, money + production are primary considerations for me. No fan wants to be told that we played well, meanwhile we failed to survive the group stages of the WC or got bounced out, like Cameroon & Senegal, in the QF's of the nations cup... no I don't think so. I will not tolerate that crap. If a man will step to the table and with a straight face demand $50,000 per month... he better be a freaking messaih as far as I'm concerned... NO EXCUSES. 8)