Regarding Seyi!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Northpole
Egg
Egg
Regarding Seyi!

Post by Northpole »

I see here that there was much hype about Seyi Olofinjana prior to the ANC, and alot of criticism of his performance afterwards. I watched Nigerias games in the competition, and must admit that he wasn't up to his best, and did on occasions resemble a headless chicken on the pitch. But then again Nigeria as a whole was dissapointing.

What pisses me off is the conception that Seyi Olofinjana won't be able to develop as a player in his current team, my true love Brann. The norwegian league is said to be a "minor league", "second-class" league (and please don't say that this is in contrast to the famous and high-quality Nigerian league), and contrary to the premiership, Serie A and the likes, off course it is.

I've seen every game Seyi played this season, and can't say he's a truly fantastic player. But it's clear that he has great potensial, and playing for Brann he can really develop to become a smarter player, more tactically aware. He was a breath of fresh air (african players always are in Norway) when he arrived, but he only performed well(and at high level) when the team around him performed well. Staying with Brann, he will grow as a player & become smarter.

And by the way, Brann is actually not a norwegian team, but a bergensk team, and this is a vital difference. If you don't know this, you're ignorant.

Brann er og blir verdens beste lag, og de som sier noe annet er løgnere.
Byen e' Bergen og laget e' Brann!
realtrouble

Post by realtrouble »

Northpole, your first post and you call people ignorant ,

Who care's regarding the different between Norway and Bergensk he plays in the Scandanavian region and the best Scandanavian play in Western Europe.

For your infomation, one of the best player in the Super Eagles was the goalkeeper, Enyenma and he plays in the Nigerian local league.
Northpole
Egg
Egg

Post by Northpole »

It's important to get the facts right when you claim something. What do you mean with "the best scandinavian play in western europe"...that's confusing. And saying the difference is unimportant is like saying that Nigeria and Cameroon is all the same..
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Hmm.... not a very good first post.

realtrouble, U dey pay dis man attenshon?

Nort pole, wia di vagins sef? I no care weda dey from Norway or Bergensk so jus hand dem ova and maybe we go take u serious.
Northpole
Egg
Egg

Post by Northpole »

Hmm...Yeyeman, I'm sorry but I didn't get that...and the issue is Seyi so don't get hung up on norwegian vs. Bergensk. And if you don't care...well, whats the difference between Cameroon and Nigeria..hmm..I dont know...
Calidad
Egg
Egg

Post by Calidad »

Northpole, the players in Scandinavian national teams mostly play abroad - fact or fiction?
"The problem with England is that 'no hay calidad' (there's no quality), save the occasional glimpse from Beckham or Scholes" - ex-Real Madrid midfielder Michel
Northpole
Egg
Egg

Post by Northpole »

Well, up until recently...but I can't speak for Sweden, Finland, Denmark or Iceland. The current national coach has a much more local focus. And players occuping the benches in top European leagues should not be interesting for the national team.
Omoga
Egg
Egg

Post by Omoga »

And by the way, Brann is actually not a norwegian team, but a bergensk team, and this is a vital difference. If you don't know this, you're ignorant.
HEHEHE Bergen er en by i Norge, ergo Brann er et Norsk lag, sant?
Immortal Technique will destroy your religion you stupid *Nice Lady*/ You're faker than blue-eyed crackers nailed to a crucifix/
Jmal
Egg
Egg

Post by Jmal »

Man don be harsh on Seyi.He is very intelligent player..and he is probably going to be crucial for Nigeria years to come.. :oops: :oops: despite your statements on Seyi. I find it nonsense. Obviously i don't agree with your sentiments.
Northpole
Egg
Egg

Post by Northpole »

Omoga..flisespikkeri...Bergen er noe helt annet enn Norge..
Northpole
Egg
Egg

Post by Northpole »

Jmal..Maybe I was a bit unclear in my first message...I'm a big fan of Seyi! He's the man...
Northpole
Egg
Egg

Post by Northpole »

I love Seyi! Sad to know he's Nigerian..you don't seem to appreciate him enough!
Metho scorpion
Egg
Egg

Post by Metho scorpion »

Northpole it is your own opinion and no one should tell you what to say about what you see....it matters not....

....and plus what is bad in him calling people ignorant?....'cos it is 1st post?....only the ignorant actually recognised NP calling people ignorant....If you are not ignorant...ignore the man and let him rant on as he sees fit......if you are...then you have the whole forum to cry.....
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Regarding Seyi!

Post by AreaDaddy »

Northpole wrote:I see here that there was much hype about Seyi Olofinjana prior to the ANC, and alot of criticism of his performance afterwards. I watched Nigerias games in the competition, and must admit that he wasn't up to his best, and did on occasions resemble a headless chicken on the pitch. But then again Nigeria as a whole was dissapointing.

What pisses me off is the conception that Seyi Olofinjana won't be able to develop as a player in his current team, my true love Brann. The norwegian league is said to be a "minor league", "second-class" league (and please don't say that this is in contrast to the famous and high-quality Nigerian league), and contrary to the premiership, Serie A and the likes, off course it is.

I've seen every game Seyi played this season, and can't say he's a truly fantastic player. But it's clear that he has great potensial, and playing for Brann he can really develop to become a smarter player, more tactically aware. He was a breath of fresh air (african players always are in Norway) when he arrived, but he only performed well(and at high level) when the team around him performed well. Staying with Brann, he will grow as a player & become smarter.

Brann er og blir verdens beste lag, og de som sier noe annet er løgnere.
Why the beligerence ? Who rattled your cag?. On your first post you are sounding very defensive about your team and the Norwegian League, if I were Sigmund Freud I would be looking at a long term relationship between you and my couch, or it just the never ending winter nights?

They are many views on Seyi as you would expect on a vibrant forum like this. If you are looking for a positive view of Seyi's outing at the ANC then look for posts by Ayo Akinfe, Chairman Seyi's Shriners Society (SSS)

p.s Does Berngsk also produce okporoko / panla or is that just Norway ?
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Bubus
Egg
Egg

Post by Bubus »

Seyi made a lot of mistakes in the green shirt... i don't know if the Nigerian fans are that forgiving sha... I am reliably informed that some self proclaimed scouts are already on the lookout for new DMs. 8)
JJ Okocha will take this freekick... curls it in! Oh! ...curls it right in!! What a goal?!! What a moment of magic from JJ Okocha?!! And its 1-1!!
Bubus
Egg
Egg

Post by Bubus »

Areadaddy... LMAO!! How do u want him to understand 'okporoko' or 'panla'? LOL!!

FYI, northpole, panla = stockfish!
JJ Okocha will take this freekick... curls it in! Oh! ...curls it right in!! What a goal?!! What a moment of magic from JJ Okocha?!! And its 1-1!!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Watch Seyi move on from here. This was his first major competition, he was left alone on central midfield for lengthy periods of time and given the tactical deficiency in the Nigerian team, I think he coped well.

My only disappointmenrt with Seyi was that his passing was not up to its usual standards. Traditionally, passing has been the strongest side of Seyi's game and other players have always acknowledged that.

After watching the Algeria vs Cameroon game and seeing how vulnerable the Indomitable Lions were to the long pass, one of the players told me that Seyi will be key to beating them as his long range passing will cut them open. On too many occassions, Seyi's passing went astray but we all know he is much better than that.

What no one can tale away from Seyi, however, is that for the first time in a long while, he gave Nigeria that physical presence in central midfield. Did you see any team run at the Nigerian centrebacks ala Larson in Japan/Korea?

All Seyi needs now is a steady partner in there. I hope a new coach is appointed this week and he decides on who his anchromen duo are and gets them working together as a partnership. I believe the Obdo/Olofinjana partnership is potentially good enough to win Nigeria the World Cup in due course.

Just remember that Seyi is still playing in Norway. Come June when he moves to a more competitive league with better training and coaching, he will be a lot better. I am very optimistic in this guy.
ruff'n'tuff
Egg
Egg

Post by ruff'n'tuff »

Seyi has A lot of room for improvement ,and this is just the begining of good things to come , for the youngman.
who no know go know.
Yettycom
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

Northpole wrote: But then again Nigeria as a whole was dissapointing.
I'll have to disagree on this. Nigeria (considering all the factors) played well.
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

yettycom wrote:
I'll have to disagree on this. Nigeria (considering all the factors) played well.
Yetty, name one game in which we strung six straight passes together.
leftee
Egg
Egg

Post by leftee »

I still wonder whose fault it was that Obodo did not get to go to Tunisia. Kanu should have started from the bench in all our games with Okocha, Seyi, Obodo and Pius manning the midfield. Utaka and Osaze in attack. Does anyone agree that even Pius aquitted himself well defensively in the only game he started?
"If You Need a Helping Hand, You'll Find One at the End of Your Arm"
Yettycom
Egg
Egg

Post by Yettycom »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
yettycom wrote:
Yetty, name one game in which we strung six straight passes together.
Haba Ayo, i could name at least a couple i.e Cameroun & SA
God is good to me and all who love and follow him.. Amazingly, he's also loving to all those who dont know him. What a mighty God he is!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Bubus wrote:
Areadaddy... LMAO!! How do u want him to understand 'okporoko' or 'panla'? LOL!!

FYI, northpole, panla = stockfish!
Bubus: why do you think he would know what stockfish is? have u ever seen that in the dictionary? I believe it's only some of us (Naijas) that know that word.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."