Everton consider playing Yobo as a midfielder

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

realplayer wrote:I wonder if any of you have critically assessed Yobo in the central defence position in Everton where he has shown glaring weaknesses that have resulted in goals. I have watched him and unlike the premiership where there is a mobile mass defensive style, the Super Eagles play and rely on individual skills. Any mistake or leaking will be purnished by quality sides like Morocco, Cameroon and Senegal.

If Yobo plays in the central defence, someone must cover him as is done in Everton. He makes some fundamental mistakes as he gets carried away sometimes. I know he is popular with many of you here and I also like the guy but in all honesty, we will suffer a BIG price if we play him in the center.

This guy is BEST at the RIGHT FULL BACK where his mistakes are easy to cover up and his attacking qualities can be exploited.

Look at his performances at Mali where he did well in this role as well as the WC match against the Swedes where he provided the cross from the right wing that Agahowa scored as well as his striking of the post in the same match that would have earned us the equaliser.

In the central defence he will not be able to join the attack as if he were in the midfield or right back.

I am glad that CCC was a central defender and should be able to note the obvious flaws and strenghts in Yobo before we once more destroy a brilliant footballer.

Many of you singing his praises here blindly will be the first to call for his head if his mistake causes any disaster !
You are being too harsh. Yobo is a young CD with very little experience in that position, he is bound to make mistakes, it is par for the course when you are learning. Yobo also has done very well given his experience in a big league in such a vital position.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
SSTAR
Egg
Egg
Yobo !!!

Post by SSTAR »

realplayer,

I believe you do have valid points regarding Yobo's capabilities and deficiencies. Unfortunately we are yet to find suitable replacements at the central defense position, as I agree he is not suited to be in the last line of the defence. Yes, he is better suited for the right-back position.
As to the detractors on your clearly stated observations, do not worry as most arguments herein are based on popularity rather than merit.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but they will not hold the mineral rights!!!
realplayer
Egg
Egg

Post by realplayer »

Yobo is a good player and the ANC is not a place for learning or inexperience.

He should play where he is a MASTER, i.e the RIGHT FULL BACK where he can defend easily, can assist in the midfield, launch attacks, cross into vital areas and even score!

Nigeria and the SE will be better off if Yobo can do all these instead of fumbling due to inexperience in the Central defence. I wonder why this excellent footballer is trying to overstretch himself into a role he can not handle well.

Nigerians are VERY ruthless to failures and will not take kindly to any inexperience fumbler especially if they expect so much from the individual.

We all remember the Odiye episode which is associated with failure despite all the brilliance and saves for Nigeria!

CCC, I hope will put this to rest and play Yobo in his rightful role where he is tested and experienced to handle!
Talent can only blossom with hard work!
Jiggerman21
Egg
Egg

Post by Jiggerman21 »

realplayer,

so who do you advocate plays central defence given that neither Taribo nor Okoronkwo can jump? Also Ribo's pace needs to be compensated for.
A stubborn goat can never learn from past mistakes. Nuff said.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Realplayer
Am not sure I know where you get your facts on Yobo being prone to errors as a CD. However, in a SE team with a fit and in-form West and Okoronkwo, I would play Yobo as RB.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Cross
Egg
Egg

Post by Cross »

A defence composed of

Babayaro; Okoronkwo; West; Yobo

would the best way to go in our first game and make changes based on injuries, suspensions, poor form etc as the tourny progresses.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

How many SE can have this testament from their coaches:
"I'd be perfectly happy for Joseph to play as a centre-half, a right-back or a holding midfield player. But Joseph would say that his best position is centre half and we've got to respect that and make sure we see him more as a centre-half rather than a right-back or central midfielder.""
Tell me, is Okoronkwo? Udeze? Abbey? Sodje? West or C.Kanu? How many?

I beg I respect this guy no be small, the other thing is the dude is so humble to boot! He is the quintessential non-conventional SE player since Muda Lawal....tell me if I'm wrong, but I doubt if anyone can fault this assessment of this son of Nigeria.
Yobo, U are d'man buddy. Keep up the good work :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
realplayer
Egg
Egg

Post by realplayer »

I have never doubted Yobo professional conduct as a player. I met him before the WC after the Jamaica match and he exhumed health, physical fitness and a pleasant, likeable character. I am HAPPY for him, the SE and Nigeria for his development in the premiership.

This asside, I have not been too impressed with his performance in the position in the Central defence as I believe it is killing his natural talent. This guy is versatile and will be better as a schemer in the right full back position. This will make him mobile and put him to very good use with no risk to the defence and stability of the team. In the Central defensive role, he can not be as mobile and the opposition will be happy with him pinned to just that responsibility. Amodu deserves all the praise in using this guy in the right position where he excelled.
Many have asked who will play the role and I will say there are other players in the team like Okoronkwo & Taribo who can be played in this position. I also believe we have other central defenders in Nigeria who will fit this role. Does that mean that if Yobo is sick or unavailable for a reason or the other we will not play? Eguavon took a home based SE to Senegal and we got a 2-2 draw. Yobo, Okoronkwo and Taribo, I recollect did not play in that match. Who were the central defenders? If they could take on the likes of Diof and co, I see no difference in the ANC. So Yobo is dispensable in the central defence.
We should stop putting undue pressure on Yobo and when he is put in the central defence and messes up, theses same praise singers will be his executioners!
If we want to win the ANC, we will play our best players in their best positions. Yobo is a natural RIGHT FULL BACK. Nigeria is not so desperate that we rely or depend on one player to man our central defence.
I am glad that this is a position CCC played for Nigeria successfully for about a decade and he knows the implication of leaking in that position as he did against Algeria in the WC qualifier that led to our not qualifying.
I wait to see what he will do and the results of his decision. I am glad I am not in his position!
Talent can only blossom with hard work!
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

I think Yobo's versatility will serve us well in Tunisia. Where he plays right now is inconsequential as long as he can contribute to the team; that would be the real gain of this bobo's abilities.
...but with God all things are possible...
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:wing backs from cele,udeze, ogbonna? Abbey?
The two positions are still up for grabs. Garba Lawal has been playing well at left back these days and Melkham and Ekwueme can also play there. On the right, remember we still have Bob Usim and Muyiwa Lawal would have been a contender had he not been decamped.

There is a lot of potential in these two positions.
Ayo, abeg, I take god beg you make you commot that name Garba Lawal from your vocabulary and from all future references to the Se, abeg biko.......The mere fact that this guy is even mentioned as an SE player is indicative of why mediocrity reigns in Nigeria
Bombastic
Egg
Egg

Post by Bombastic »

Well said, Realplayer. Your analysis is dispassionate and objective!!!! Results speak for themselves. Yobo is a freeflowing and better playing RB. Full stop.
Verbum Sapienti----A word to the wise.
Bombastic
Egg
Egg

Post by Bombastic »

Anikulapo, you are right. What is Garba Lawal doing but helping Nigeria to maintain mediocrity as a national pastime.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Bombastic wrote:Anikulapo, you are right. What is Garba Lawal doing but helping Nigeria to maintain mediocrity as a national pastime.
"Mediocrity as a national pastime"....Ol Boy, you wicked no be small :wink:
Bombastic
Egg
Egg

Post by Bombastic »

My broda, no be so? Nigeria is full of mediocrity and we excuse mediocrity all the time. It is all the more unfortunate because we cannot lie that talent is what we lack. I see the Super Eagles and the NFA as institutions (if they can even be called that, in its positive sense) that represent the best AND the worst of Nigeria. So much talent, so little discipline; so much skill, so little cohesion; so much ambition, yet so little organization and planning to achieve those aspirations. We want to win the world cup and cannot even organize training camp for the ANC without drama.
lowzeewee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by lowzeewee »

If he works in that position,why not?And if you need him there,why not? :mrgreen:
obong obuma
Egg
Egg

Post by obong obuma »

I believe the defence Chukwu will roll out against Morocco will be a surprise to most of us.West,Yobo,Okoronkwo,Udeze,Babayaro,Abbey,Usim,Enarkhaire is already a crowd.
Winning is not everything....it is the only thing!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Realplayer and Bambostic, you guys just have me in stitches here. Are you guys really serious? This is the best bit of comic relief I have had all week.

Yobo is a central defender. End of story!!!
Bombastic
Egg
Egg

Post by Bombastic »

Ayo Akinfe, thanks for the compliment. I take it as such. Your imperious declaration that "Yobo is a central defender" impresses me. You must be his coach and KNOW how best to play Yobo.
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

Ayo A , you get time dey reply this comics . Ejiofor better than yobo my arse .
Yobo is a great CD , he made his name in the EPL playing CD . He sucked at RB simply becos of the EPL pace .
In the SE , If Isaac is fit , I would shift Yobo back to 2 .
BTW , Okoronkwo is our fastest CD .
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Joseph is well suited to the CD position and i dont think playing him as a RB would be a good choice
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

Dodo , it's matter of what we got . We don't have a RB , we have West and Okoronkwo . Surely I 'll have Yobo playing RB rather than have either of these guys on the Bench while Abbey plays RB.
Mike Ditka quote :
"I didn't say it in those general terms but I said it like that".
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

This weekend, when David Moyes needed a sub for Graveson, he apparently considered himself devoid of appropriate players, despite having Yobo on the bench. And even after trying Yobo there, was apprarently not satisfied. In other words Moyes rates Yobo as being no better than Stubbs as a temporary DM in an emergency.

If you don't think Alan Stubbs is of enough quality to be starting at DM for the SE, then apparently Yobo is any better in that position.

Yobo will be a CD in the long run, but over the next few years he needs to learn defensive positioning and RB is the place where he can do that AND add an offensive punch with his overlapping.

(Excerpt from: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=131970&cc=5739)
"But the loss of Gravesen gave Moyes problems he was not expecting.

He said: 'I had decided to go with a majority of attacking players and that meant I did not have a replacement midfielder on the bench. That was my fault and my responsibility.'

It meant Everton had to bring defender Joseph Yobo into the fray and the Nigerian and skipper Alan Stubbs both switched from midfield to defence and back again as Everton tried to cover for Gravesen's absence.

Moyes said: 'Gravesen had been outstanding in the first half and we missed him when he went off.'

Moyes revealed he has struck a deal with the Nigerian Football Association to keep Yobo until next Saturday's game at Fulham before the defender has to join up with his country for the African Nations Cup.

Moyes said: 'I do not want to lose him, but if you sign African players you know they will be playing in the African Nations Cup.' "
Hey Big Sam, do you read the newspaper??? :lol:
lagos777
Egg
Egg

Post by lagos777 »

Ziontrain wrote:This weekend, when David Moyes needed a sub for Graveson, he apparently considered himself devoid of appropriate players, despite having Yobo on the bench. And even after trying Yobo there, was apprarently not satisfied. In other words Moyes rates Yobo as being no better than Stubbs as a temporary DM in an emergency.

If you don't think Alan Stubbs is of enough quality to be starting at DM for the SE, then apparently Yobo is any better in that position.

Yobo will be a CD in the long run, but over the next few years he needs to learn defensive positioning and RB is the place where he can do that AND add an offensive punch with his overlapping.

(Excerpt from: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=131970&cc=5739)
"But the loss of Gravesen gave Moyes problems he was not expecting.

He said: 'I had decided to go with a majority of attacking players and that meant I did not have a replacement midfielder on the bench. That was my fault and my responsibility.'

It meant Everton had to bring defender Joseph Yobo into the fray and the Nigerian and skipper Alan Stubbs both switched from midfield to defence and back again as Everton tried to cover for Gravesen's absence.

Moyes said: 'Gravesen had been outstanding in the first half and we missed him when he went off.'

Moyes revealed he has struck a deal with the Nigerian Football Association to keep Yobo until next Saturday's game at Fulham before the defender has to join up with his country for the African Nations Cup.

Moyes said: 'I do not want to lose him, but if you sign African players you know they will be playing in the African Nations Cup.' "
Hey Big Sam, do you read the newspaper??? :lol:
How can you use Moyes to butress your point ? The same coach that borderline called Yobo a crap RB and made him play as a CD , a position where he got rave reviews.