Interview with Orosco Anonam (Sliema Wanderers)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Calypso
Egg
Egg
Interview with Orosco Anonam (Sliema Wanderers)

Post by Calypso »

Source - The Times Of Malta
http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=142986

Head-to-head
Floriana vs Sliema Wanderers
Kevin Azzopardi

Left: Bizu, Floriana. Right: Orosco Anonam (right) in a tussle with Ian Azzopardi, the Floriana defender.

Christmas came early for the fans of Sliema Wanderers after the Blues overcame Old-Firm rivals Floriana 2-0 on Friday. Orosco Anonam, the Sliema striker, believes his team will successfully defend their Premier League title while Edoardo Do Nascimento, (Bizu), Floriana's Brazilian forward, tips the Greens to clinch a place in the Championship Pool despite their inconsistency.

1. Sliema Wanderers' 2-0 victory over Floriana on Friday was thoroughly deserved. Do you agree?

Bizu (Floriana): Sliema were worth their victory as it was they who tried to play the better football whereas we failed to emulate our performance in the 4-2 win over Hibs. The result was fair.

Orosco Anonam (Sliema Wanderers): Yes, 2-0 was a fair reflection of the run of play because we put pressure on Floriana from start to finish.

2. Floriana have been blowing hot and cold this season...

Bizu: Yes, we have been unable to maintain the same momentum from one game to another. I am at pains to identify the reasons for our inconsistency because we always try our best but there have been some games when nothing would go right for us. The most important thing is that our commitment remains 100 per cent.

Anonam: They are a good team. There has been a number of occasions when Floriana really showed their mettle like when they beat Hibs 4-2. They have a lot of talented young players who are still learning the ropes of the trade, so maybe that's why they are not very consistent.

3. What do you make of Joe Brincat's stunning opener?

Bizu: It was a very nice goal... perfect execution.

Anonam: What can I say, it was world-class but we all know that Joe Brincat can be deadly from set-pieces. He is such an influential player.

4. There is an intense fight for Championship Pool places this season. Will Floriana manage to break into the top six by the end of the second round?

Bizu: I am very upbeat about our chances of making the top six at the end of the second round. We are in a good position because we have already met three of the traditional big guns, namely Valletta, Hibs and Floriana but we are under no illusion about how hard the remaining matches are going to be. This season, virtually all teams in the league are really challenging hard to reach their goals but unlike in previous seasons, our fate is in our hands.

Anonam: I think they will go into the top six if they continue to play like they have done so far.

5. Floriana/Sliema, Valletta and Birkirkara... who do you consider your most bitter rivals?

Bizu: Valletta...games against them really bring the best out of me. Floriana were the first club I joined in Malta so maybe their fierce rivalry with the Citizens has been ingrained in me.

Anonam: Birkirkara. Encounters against them are always highly-charged.

6. Who is the best coach you have had in your career so far?

Bizu: I have had the privilege of working with a number of good coaches and Ziya Yildiz, the current Floriana coach, ranks among the best. Yildiz is a good mentor and a friend of the players. His training sessions are very interesting and his expertise has taken our performances to a different level.

Anonam: All the coaches have been good mentors because I have learnt something from each one of them. If I were to pick only one, I'd choose Edward Aquilina because we won the league with him at the helm.

7. Which Maltese player would you like to see added to your squad in the January transfer window?

Bizu: That's a hard one because there are many valid players in Malta. Gilbert Agius and Jeffrey Chetcuti would be good signings for our team.

Anonam: William Camenzuli.

8. How do you describe your character?

Bizu: Outside football, I am very quiet, easy-going and like to spend my time at home with my family. On the field of play, I am a different person, definitely louder and aggressive because I hate losing.

Anonam: My attitude towards life and football is the same. I am a normal guy, determined to achieve what I set out to achieve but calm at the same time.

9. Maltese players are often accused of lacking a professional attitude. What is your opinion?

Bizu: I can tell you that there are many Maltese players who are more serious about their football than some of the foreign ones. Now foreign players are supposed to be more professional than the locals but there are some who like their nights out in Paceville. I know of many Maltese players who take their football very seriously but you also have to accept that it's difficult for them to be really professional when they've got to work during the day. Maltese players deserve more respect for the sacrifices they make.

Anonam: I am lucky to have worked alongside some truly professional Maltese players. I mean people like Carmel Busuttil and Joe Brincat lead by example and that's why they have been successful in their careers. Obviously, there are some players who may come across as being too laid-back in their approach but you have to bear in mind the limitations of local football. Players are not full-time footballers... they work during the day and train in the evening.

10. Who will win the league title this season?

Bizu: Everybody has been saying that this could be Birkirkara's year and they are one of the favourites but Sliema will also be thereabouts when crunch time arrives. It's too early to say... we will have a clearer indication when the Championship Pool starts.

Anonam: Sliema Wanderers. Yes, I know it will be difficult because Birkirkara are tough opponents but I'm confident.

11. Which is your favourite colour?

Bizu: Green.

Anonam: Not one in particular.

12. Your favourite dish for Christmas...

Bizu: In Brazil, our traditional Christmas dish is called perù, a poultry recipe. It's very good.

Anonam: Pasta is my favourite food - always.

13. What are the most expensive gifts you have bought this Christmas?

Bizu: I honestly don't know because I have left it to my girlfriend to do the Christmas shopping. She did her part because we have a lot of presents at home.

Anonam: A car, Kia Rio, for my wife.

14. What do you hope to achieve in 2004?

Bizu: First and foremost, I wish good health for my family and friends. From a football point-of-view, I hope to continue playing well for Floriana. A place in European competitions would be a nice achievement for our team and that could be a realistic target if we are in the top-six.

Anonam: Winning the league with Sliema Wanderers and enjoy my family life.

15. Who, in your opinion, is the top achiever in 2003?

Bizu: There's a man in Brazil who does a lot of charity work with kids. For me, those people who work towards noble causes, like the fight against aids and poverty, are the top achievers.

Anonam: I guess my wife is the top achiever after giving birth to our daughter. In football, Pavel Nedved was the best player, without doubt.
Anonam is a Nigerian foward with the Sliema Wanderers. Bizu is a Brazilian forward with premier league rivals Floriana
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Why are u guyz making CCC's job difficult?; another "hey you" call- up for him to ruminate over?
...but with God all things are possible...
Calypso
Egg
Egg

Post by Calypso »

it is just an attempt to shed light on the Nigerian players aborad that are under the radar as you are always up-to-date about the bigger players playing in prestigeous leagues, but rarely hear about players plying their trade in smaller leagues whos hard work goes unnoticed.
Egunje
Egg
Egg

Post by Egunje »

geminikoat wrote:Why are u guyz making CCC's job difficult?; another "hey you" call- up for him to ruminate over?
If Garba Lawal can be invited, why not an "hey you" who is playing active football everyday. I will say he's probably in a better shape than Kanu....oooppps.
Paveman
Egg
Egg

Post by Paveman »

Actually, Orosco Anonam is probably one of the most promising players to play in Malta. It's a pity he has not moved further up to more promising European leagues. I'm sure he could have made it to at least a second-tier league.