manchester united chase everton's yobo

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

qwerty
Egg
Egg
manchester united chase everton's yobo

Post by qwerty »

free @oldtrafford.every1.net email!
Email Login Password

New users sign up
Headlines Home About Team Match Editorial Downloads Shop Forums WWW

Man Utd in chase for Everton's Yob

Manchester United could look to strengthen their defence at the end of the season by moving for Everton's £10m rated Nigerian defender Joseph Yobo.

After the 2-3 defeat at the hands of Middlesbrough last night, the absence of Rio Ferdinand from the side posed some serious questions with United's back four conceeding two headed goals to 5'4 tall Boro midfielder Juninho.

The Red Devils slipped to 5 points behind leaders Arsenal in the Premiership table and highlighted the need for defensive leadership and cover in the absence of Ferdinand, publicly acknowledged by Sir Alex Ferguson today.

Meanwhile, in the African Nations Cup, Nigeria went out on penalties to hosts Tunisia after a 1-1 draw - despite another commanding performance from Yobo, who could be a summer target according to rumours on a local radio phone-in.

Man Utd are almost certain to receive a glowing report of Yobo's performances throughout the tournament, which may lead Sir Alex Ferguson to tempt David Moyes' hand in the summer by bidding for the defender.

Everton beat off competition from Newcastle to sign Yobo from Marseille for around £5m two seasons ago and would want to hang on to a player that has been a consistent performer for David Moyes' side, but with a £35m bank loan, they may be forced to sell the talented defender if these rumours ever come into fruition. - Sublime football

http://www.sublimefootball.com/article.php?artid=2022
Last edited by qwerty on Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

whoa if true, but he'd ne benched when Rio gets back
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

Scourge wrote:whoa if true, but he'd ne benched when Rio gets back
Rio will not have it easy benching yobo just like that. If they think he's good enough, they will not be looking for replacement.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

If Yobo performs like we know he can, it will be a three way fight between him, Rio and O'shea.

Anyways Yobo or no Yobo as long as we still punk them, it's all good.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
khalela

Post by khalela »

If Yobo performs well, at least he will get a look in and help send of those their useless defenders home early.
All the best to him.
Mudi E
Eaglet
Eaglet
Yobo

Post by Mudi E »

If Yobo moves to Manchester United, it will be a monumental opportunity for both Yobo and Manchester United. Already very gifted, Yobo will blossom even further under Alex Ferguson. The exposure Yobo will get will be outstanding.

If Yobo shows class in Man U., it will be hard for Rio Ferdinand to bench him. We already know that Yobo is better than Wes Brown. How about the combination of Yobo and Ferdinand in central defense?

This is indeed a juicy story.
Nigeria shall wallop the dormitable lions
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

What stops him from taking over Gary Neville's position ?
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

it would be good move for the lad
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Yobo

Post by Ziontrain »

Mudi E wrote:If Yobo moves to Manchester United, it will be a monumental opportunity for both Yobo and Manchester United. Already very gifted, Yobo will blossom even further under Alex Ferguson. The exposure Yobo will get will be outstanding.

If Yobo shows class in Man U., it will be hard for Rio Ferdinand to bench him. We already know that Yobo is better than Wes Brown. How about the combination of Yobo and Ferdinand in central defense?
Man U does not need Rio/Silvestre/O'Shea/Brown + Yobo.

The persistent news rumour is that Rio is off to Chelsea next season. Lets see: kid s from London, Desailly is running out of time, Peter Keyon (ex Man U GM) is now GM at Chesea and his boy Sven may be turning up shortly - and Chelsea is probbaly the only other team in England that would actually increase his 80K per week. Sounds about right to me. I think Rio will be long gone before Yobo turns up.....
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

If Yobo goes to Old Trafford, his disease of momentary lapse of concentration will be healed fiammm!

Please God, let him go.
bigapple
Egg
Egg

Post by bigapple »

If Yobo goes to Old Trafford it will be a great move for him but his international call up will be affected. Ferguson has this urge of influencing his players not to honour international matches. We all know the story of Fortune of SA.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Globero wrote:What stops him from taking over Gary Neville's position ?
Anyone who still thinks Yobo is a right back has serious comprehension problems. Kai!!!!! Why are some people just uneducable?

This will be a good move for Yobo and I suspect that Ferguson wants him to pair Silvestre in the heart of the defence until Rio returns and once that happens, I see Sivestre being the one to give way.

Silvestre is getting on, lacks the pace of Yobo and Rio and is not as good in the air. I, personallyu would have loved it if there was an old head in there like Blanc, Pallister or Bruce who Yobo could learn from as his biggest problem is still his inexperience, which is responsible for his lapses in concentration among other things.

Anyway, good move. Yobo can only get better.
iyerebee
Egg
Egg

Post by iyerebee »

good move if it happens
Babso
Egg
Egg

Post by Babso »

Be ready to see less of Yobo in the SE colours..............if this story comes to pass!!
Sir Vic
Egg
Egg

Post by Sir Vic »

This will be a good move if he moves.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King Jr.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Nobody benches a 30million rated England player for a 10million player. It is not good business, morever the absence of Rio is what has prompted this move, it only hilights how important Rio now is to Man U, Rio is not the target, but Man U bein a big team realises they need to strenghhen their reservoire, at the moment for a big team they dont have depth. They will sign Yobo, but more for a cover, just as Djemba Djemba is a cover for ROy or Nicky.
At most both will play at the same time,with Rio being the Oga behind Yobo. I am suprised you guys are even saying Rio's position is threatened, Wes Brown should be the one looking at his shoulder, Sylvester will be going back to his left back, as for O'Shea , he has never been a solid center half, he is not strong or commanding enough.
But then this could just be another rumour, you know the way agents make this deals or sell their players is simply to plant the rumours in the papers first.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

oloye wrote:Nobody benches a 30million rated England player for a 10million player. It is not good business, morever the absence of Rio is what has prompted this move, it only hilights how important Rio now is to Man U, Rio is not the target, but Man U bein a big team realises they need to strenghhen their reservoire, at the moment for a big team they dont have depth. They will sign Yobo, but more for a cover, just as Djemba Djemba is a cover for ROy or Nicky.
At most both will play at the same time,with Rio being the Oga behind Yobo. I am suprised you guys are even saying Rio's position is threatened, Wes Brown should be the one looking at his shoulder, Sylvester will be going back to his left back, as for O'Shea , he has never been a solid center half, he is not strong or commanding enough.
But then this could just be another rumour, you know the way agents make this deals or sell their players is simply to plant the rumours in the papers first.
Rio and Yobo will play together. I do not see Alex Ferguson benching a £30m or a £10m player. Anyway, let us see if it materialises first.

As per those saying wee will see less of Yobo in an Eagles shirt, I do not see anything wrong with that. We do not need Yobo for ANC qualifiers as these should be used as an opportunity to uncover new talent.

Besides, we want to see the likes of Orjinta, Olajengbesi, Nnanji, Adamu and Itandje tried out. We only need the likes of Yobo and Okocha for Grade A friendlies taking place in Fifa breaks and serious games like World Cup qualifiers.

If you have a coach who adopts a style of play, it is easy to slot players in and out without any disruption. While at Ajax, Van Gaal showed how it is done!
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

In football anything can happen, and if it does beauriful. :mrgreen:
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
Babso
Egg
Egg

Post by Babso »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
oloye wrote:Nobody benches a 30million rated England player for a 10million player. It is not good business, morever the absence of Rio is what has prompted this move, it only hilights how important Rio now is to Man U, Rio is not the target, but Man U bein a big team realises they need to strenghhen their reservoire, at the moment for a big team they dont have depth. They will sign Yobo, but more for a cover, just as Djemba Djemba is a cover for ROy or Nicky.
Rio and Yobo will play together. I do not see Alex Ferguson benching a £30m or a £10m player. Anyway, let us see if it materialises first.

As per those saying wee will see less of Yobo in an Eagles shirt, I do not see anything wrong with that. We do not need Yobo for ANC qualifiers as these should be used as an opportunity to uncover new talent.

Besides, we want to see the likes of Orjinta, Olajengbesi, Nnanji, Adamu and Itandje tried out. We only need the likes of Yobo and Okocha for Grade A friendlies taking place in Fifa breaks and serious games like World Cup qualifiers.

If you have a coach who adopts a style of play, it is easy to slot players in and out without any disruption. While at Ajax, Van Gaal showed how it is done!
Really? I think u miss the point. I am not talking about ANC qualifiers.......did u see Quintine Fortune at the just concluded ANC???
Wait until he (Yobo) begins to see nothing good about the SE!!!
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Yobo with the red devils???
Lawd it sounds tastier than édikaikong with poundo!
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Babso, I saw Eric Djemba-Djemba in Tunisia! South Africa's problems are unique. No other African country had that worry, so please do not blams it on Alex Ferguson.

The blame lies primarilly with Shakes Mushaba! Also, this is not a new problem for South Africa, remember Benni McCarthy missed Mali 2002.

Nigeria has no such problems with its players. Look at how Redknapp and Allardyce pressurised Yakubu and JJ not to go to Tunisia.
Football Manager
Egg
Egg

Post by Football Manager »

This information is credible! The process is 30% completed.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Football Manager wrote:This information is credible! The process is 30% completed.
Can you please confirm your source?

I have tried to get another independent source to this story, but to
no avail.

I am beginning to doubt the authenticity.