Okocha eyes World Cup 2006

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

By Clement Nwankpa Jnr,
Just back from Tunisia
AFTER winning all available individual honours at Tunisia 2004, Super Eagles' captain, Austin Okocha has no plans of retiring from international soccer soon.

Speaking to The Guardian in Tunisia, Okocha dismissed rumours that he had played in his last Nations Cup.

He said: "I think I am still playing well. I don't have plans of quitting, at least in the nearest future. As soon as I start feeling that my body can no longer sustain the rigours of both club and international football, I will not hesitate to leave".

One of the reasons that has necessitated Okocha still sticking to the Nigerian team is the abundance of promising young players coming through the ranks.

"We have a lot of young players coming up and they will need people like us around to direct them. I will hang on to serve as a guide for them as well as ensure that we build a new solid national team", he noted.

Does that mean that Okocha will still be available at the next Nations Cup and World Cup? The Guardian asked.

His reply: "Well, if my body can still carry me then, I will. I am enjoying the game now and if in the next two years,I still feel like this,why not?".

The Bolton captain observed that he enjoyed Tunisia 2004 more than his debut outing at Tunisia 94.

"Ten years ago,I was a very young player and I did not understand what it meant playing in the Nations cup.Now,I feel it all and I appreciate every bit of action I had here.I think I had a good time here",he added.

Meanwhile,chief coach,Christian Chukwu has hinged his plans of building a new national team on the presence of Okocha.

"After this tournament,our team will be stronger because the boys are in high spirit.I am also happy that my captain is still around.With him around,we will guide these young boys to the next level",Chukwu pointed out.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

check
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

This is a good development
TD
Egg
Egg

Post by TD »

Na you biko, skippo.
"The youth of a nation must, out of relative obscurity, discover it's mission, fulfill it or betray it"... Frantz Fanon
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

P0hew! I just hope Clement Nwakpa did not make this up.
EagleGunner
Egg
Egg

Post by EagleGunner »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:P0hew! I just hope Clement Nwakpa did not make this up.
Ayo,
I don't know if he made it up...BUT i can tell you that Jay Jay is definitely not retiring just yet....he's enjoying his new lease of life in the game. He's going to be around a while yet.

Super Eagles Apparel Storefront

http://bit.ly/2KAOOse
JuJuMan
Egg
Egg

Post by JuJuMan »

Oh God no! next thing will be that Kanu is "eyeing" it as well!
Ian Wright- "When Arsene came to Arsenal he took complete control of our diets. We were allowed no salt, no fat and no sugar, in the end you wanted to play a team like Milwall so that someone would throw a banana at you just so you could have something to eat."
VINDAVE

Post by VINDAVE »

JuJuMan wrote:Oh God no! next thing will be that Kanu is "eyeing" it as well!
AND WHAT IS BAD ABOUT THAT...
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

Great news!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
Blakes
Egg
Egg

Post by Blakes »

it will only be bad news if by 2006 okocha's work rate drops to just about the same level as kanu....then we dead...then we will be playing with minus 2 and not just minus 1
Climb the ladder to succes, escalator style
-Biggie
marloski
Egg
Egg

Post by marloski »

I really hope he has it in 2 years time. :) :) :)
Mudi E
Eaglet
Eaglet
Okocha

Post by Mudi E »

If he keeps in great shape and I know he will, he should be fine for 2006. No doubt!
Nigeria shall wallop the dormitable lions
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

This is not suprising. Okocha is having so much fun now and is has found an abundance of energy to play non-stop. I'm sure he still be playing this well, if not better, in 2 years time.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

jeah that brah need to stay with ya'll team or else their will be problems.... he is like the ghostbuster of Nigerian Soccer :lol: :lol:
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Okocha should be man enough and keep to the promise he made 2 summers ago. Okocha should retire and save us the agony of another "near win" world cup. "Near Win" is when we nearly win every match, but actually end up losing or tying all of them. We don't want to win another "we were not disgraced" trophy. My starting line up for 2006 would be:

Enyema
Yobo
An improved Okoronkwo
Abbey
Udeze
Kanu (the over age player)
Lawal (a send off WC for scoring in the 98 WC)
JAG
Obodo/Olofinjana
Utaka
Osaze

Reserve
Ikedia
Aiyegbemi (after taking penicilin shots)
Enakarhire
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
realtrouble

Post by realtrouble »

1Naija , you the yearn opak, Jay-Jay is the most complete SE player today, we just need to compliment his ability with a good DM and wing play