‘Let's Celebrate Okocha's Exit’...Joe Erico

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

naija4ever
Egg
Egg
Location: Latitude 14' 40 N Longitude 90' 31 W(Nollywood 4Ever)
‘Let's Celebrate Okocha's Exit’...Joe Erico

Post by naija4ever »

Despite not playing any significant role in Super Eagles outing at the just concluded African Nations' Cup in Egypt, football administrators in the country have been urged to give Austin Jay Jay Okocha, the out-going captain of the national team a befitting send forth.
Joe Erico, a former assistant coach of the Super Eagles, insisted yesterday that Okocha should not be allowed to just slip out of our collective consciousness like several others who have served this country in the past.
"It will be a shame if we allow (Austin) Okocha to just walk away from the Super Eagles just like that. This young man has served this country well enough to consider giving him a befitting send off " observed the apostle of free flowing Brazilian football.
Erico told THISDAYSports that though the Bolton Wanderers' playmaker may have made a few slips in the course of serving Nigeria "that is not enough to just forget all the good things he has done for the Super Eagles."
According to the former Julius Berger coach, celebrating our football icons will impact positively on the younger generation, aspiring to be like the Okochas of this world.
"When the likes of Uche Okechukwu, Peter Rufai and several players who played for the Super Eagles ended their national team careers, many didn't deem it proper to give them good send forth celebrations. But elsewhere, these national heroes would have been celebrated. Why should Okocha also fall into the same group?" queried Erico.
He did not see anything wrong in Okocha quitting the stage now despite not winning the African Player of the Year Award.
"The reputation of Okocha in the global football circle is greater than winning the CAF award. Though it would have added value to his chest of honours in the round leather game, it, however, does not diminish his standing," concludes the ex-international.
Okocha last month announced his retirement from the national team after the Nations' Cup in Cairo.
He made his debut in the Super Eagles in 1993 shortly after the African Youth Championship in Mauritius. As the youngest member of the Nigerian team to the 1994 World Cup In USA, Okocha's sublime skills enchanted the football world, even though then technical adviser Clemens Westerhof used him sparingly.
But many also remembered his outing a few months earlier in North Africa where he turned on a captivating performance in the final of the 1994 Nations Cup in Tunisia against Zambia, which Nigeria won 2-1.
Okocha’s greatest achievement on the football field was helping Nigeria win Olympic gold at Atlanta’96.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=40842
Schillachi wrote:Thanks Ghana. I hope this defeat will forever cure us of our colonial mentality when it comes to Coaches...

mystic wrote:
Now, we can criticise CCC for this, that and the other - some of which is warranted, and some of which is complete hogwash. But, in my view, these are the prinicipal areas in which he has been a disappointment.
All the same, I salute Christian Chukwu for his efforts, his selflessness and his hard work. He has served his country to the best of his ability. The predicament that we are in, right now, is not soley of his making and we should all keep that in mind.

The two players are in different worlds. Ade is too young to be compared to Kanu. Kanu has been around and has raked in laurels upon laurels. If he is not scoring, he is assisting; and if he is not, he is entertaining ... one of the finest players in the world. Please for past times, compare Kanu to Brazilian Socrates..bbc606
ibraheem100
Egg
Egg

Post by ibraheem100 »

I agree men, Nigeria needs to start recognising people who have helped glorify the country's name in sports. If our stars just keep coming and going so quietly, it sends a bad signal to the younger ones who are still playing.

People like Segun Odegbami, Rashidi Yekini, Stephen Keshi, Sunday Oliseh, Mutiu Adepoju, Christian Chukwu, Haruna Ilerika, Austin Okocha, Samuel Okwaraji (RIP), George Finidi, only to name a few, need to be specially recognised in what they have contributed to Nigerian soccer.

The NFL Hall of Fame is an example of what I am talking about.
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

ibraheem100 wrote:I agree men, Nigeria needs to start recognising people who have helped glorify the country's name in sports. If our stars just keep coming and going so quietly, it sends a bad signal to the younger ones who are still playing.

People like Segun Odegbami, Rashidi Yekini, Stephen Keshi, Sunday Oliseh, Mutiu Adepoju, Christian Chukwu, Haruna Ilerika, Austin Okocha, Samuel Okwaraji (RIP), George Finidi, only to name a few, need to be specially recognised in what they have contributed to Nigerian soccer.

The NFL Hall of Fame is an example of what I am talking about.
My brother this only one of the numerous and uncountable failings of a visionless NFA. There is no reason why a special testimonial match shouldnt be organised by the NFA. The Hall of Fame has been on the cards for years. Just watch as they mess it all up again... :( :evil:
YNWA
Chief Gabtigab
Egg
Egg

Post by Chief Gabtigab »

I agree. He deserves a farewell for entertaining us all those years.
PT Teacher Oni aka Backstabber. The NFA aka Thieves. Betty "Sisi" Vogts aka Fraudster.
CRIME: Destroying Nigerian Football. VERDICT: GUILTY AS CHARGED. SENTENCE: Na God Go Punish Them.
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

Chief Gabtigab wrote:I agree. He deserves a farewell for entertaining us all those years.
and taking us to 3 WC campaign
scoring 15 goals (7 of them in nations cup)
helping his country to win ANC gold
helping his country to win Olympic gold (scoring twice)

yes he added entertainment to quality.
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

PapaK wrote:
Chief Gabtigab wrote:I agree. He deserves a farewell for entertaining us all those years.

he only "took" us to ONE WC with Pa Oni which ended in a disaster. he was NOT a starter in '94, so he didnt take us there. In '98, he was an integral part of a team of stars that included kanu, Ikpeba, Oliseh, Finidi, Adepoju, oruma, Amo, etc. he didnt "take" us there.

please, tell us how many goals and assists he notched at the 3 WCs. In order words, he entertained.

All that being said, he deserves a send off, though he is still our worst captain ever.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
PapaK wrote:

he only "took" us to ONE WC with Pa Oni which ended in a disaster. he was NOT a starter in '94, so he didnt take us there. In '98, he was an integral part of a team of stars that included kanu, Ikpeba, Oliseh, Finidi, Adepoju, oruma, Amo, etc. he didnt "take" us there.

please, tell us how many goals and assists he notched at the 3 WCs. In order words, he entertained.

All that being said, he deserves a send off, though he is still our worst captain ever.
this is a huge step forward, that you at least agreed he 'took' us to the 02 world cup. For the 1994 event he 'cleared' the way to enable Yekini 'take' us there. For the 1998 event he shared the 'taking' responsibility with Amokachi and Amuneke and at the big dance proper he was the man. OK, he didnt score, but he did so well that FIFA technical committee (not that I actually respect them) selected him among the best 16 players of the championship. Please note that the selection of 16 has quota system (defenders, midfielders, attackers, etc.).
Sure, this guy must have given us a little more than entertainment. In addition to his MON, OON titles, he deserves a GCFR.
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

When a good leader leaves, people cry.
But when a bad leader leaves, people celebrate.
Didn't we celebrate when Abacha left?
So I agree, lets celebrate okocha's departure.
We hope we never never never come back again.
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

Talk IT wrote:When a good leader leaves, people cry.
Ol boy having Okocha and Abacha in the same sentence get as e be..

I know okocha fumbled wrt our WC campaign
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

akamoke wrote:
Talk IT wrote:When a good leader leaves, people cry.
Ol boy having Okocha and Abacha in the same sentence get as e be..

haba, where did I put both names in the same sentence? :D
Anyway sha, the man sucked our football dry without pity.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
PapaK wrote:

worst?,
I dont know oh.
but the ff captains failed to qualify SE for WC
sam opone
victor oduah
CCC,
Okocha.
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

PapaK wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
PapaK wrote:

this is a huge step forward, that you at least agreed he 'took' us to the 02 world cup. For the 1994 event he 'cleared' the way to enable Yekini 'take' us there. For the 1998 event he shared the 'taking' responsibility with Amokachi and Amuneke and at the big dance proper he was the man. OK, he didnt score, but he did so well that FIFA technical committee (not that I actually respect them) selected him among the best 16 players of the championship. Please note that the selection of 16 has quota system (defenders, midfielders, attackers, etc.).
Sure, this guy must have given us a little more than entertainment. In addition to his MON, OON titles, he deserves a GCFR.
papak,
we have treated that WC 1998 FIFA 16 issue here:
JJ did not make the best 16 of the tournament. he was added among the 6 substitutes making him effectively in the FIFA 22.
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

akamoke wrote: [Ol boy having Okocha and Abacha in the same sentence get as e be..

I heard that the couches told him (Oga) not to come to some matches because they can win the opponents with Enugu Rangers football club. If that is ture, then - elm, ehhh, our failure to report in Germany is not his fault.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

megapro wrote:
PapaK wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
PapaK wrote:

papak,
we have treated that WC 1998 FIFA 16 issue here:
JJ did not make the best 16 of the tournament. he was added among the 6 substitutes making him effectively in the FIFA 22.
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! Na so PapaK dey give Okocha phantom MOM awards after EVERY match, whether Okocha played or not.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

megapro wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
PapaK wrote:

worst?,
I dont know oh.
sam opone
victor oduah
CCC,
Okocha.
he is the worst Captain, not just for failing to qualify us. He connived with Pa Oni to backstab Amodu, Oliseh and Finidi, leading us to our worst WC appearance ever!
AFCON 2019 sweet o

The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
megapro wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
PapaK wrote:

worst?,
I dont know oh.
sam opone
victor oduah
CCC,
Okocha.
he is the worst Captain, not just for failing to qualify us. He connived with Pa Oni to backstab Amodu, Oliseh and Finidi, leading us to our worst WC appearance ever!

If everybody were to adopt this posture, we will all be Villains. JJ isn't perfect but this Dude will be a reference point for some time to come. I doff my hat .
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

One of the best players in Nigeria's futbol history.. He did his best... JJ is the man...
Soldier of Fortune...
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

MI5 wrote:One of the best players in Nigeria's futbol history.. He did his best... JJ is the man...
One of the best dribblers no doubt.
Why do people mistaken the best dribbler for the best player?
Dribbling is just one aspect of the game. If another player emerge who we all agree to be the best shooter, would that make him the best player?
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

one of the best dribblers in world history.
megapro 2012: