Rangers/Shooting/NFA conspiracy against Bendel Insurance?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sanga Balende
Egg
Egg
Rangers/Shooting/NFA conspiracy against Bendel Insurance?

Post by Sanga Balende »

Oloye, just like the NFL, boxing and other main stream sports, I believe that the conglomerates (Shooting/Rangers/NFA) were not ready for Alabi Aissien and his modern bunch. Neither were the NFA or Eagles ready for NNB to break the strong hold of both clubs.

The fact is that Egharevba, Ogboe, Agbonifo and that Bendel Insurance team ( Not just Adiele and Kadiri) were superior to Rangers and IICC.

Truth be told. For whatever reason, the NFA did not feel that Agbonifo could understudy Lawal or that Nnaji Agwo was a better keeper than Ogedegbe or Okalla.

Any team that trashes Shooting and Rangers 5-0 in one week cannot be a fluke.
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

And your point? I don't understand the conspiracy angle of this thread.

Didn't Bendel Insurance win 1978 FA Cup by beating Rangers three nil?

Wasn't Bendel Insurance 1980 FA Cup champion (by beating Stores one nil in the final) ?

NNB players formed the bedrock of the national team invitees in 80s, especially from AO's short stint at Green Eagles to the time that NNB was disbanded.

Uncle Alabi Aissen was (and still ) well-respected for the changes to he brought to Insurance and Vasco Da Gama ( I believe). Uncle Alabi also had brief stint at Oluyole Warriors in the early 1990s. He is a man that everyone in the football circle gives 'maximum respect" ! He might have come several years of the time he is needed....But he is a hero !!

So, what's your point on conspiracy ?
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Sanga Balende
Egg
Egg
Toxic my boy

Post by Sanga Balende »

Is it not odd that before your NNB babies (I am one), 1979-82,

Ogboe was never seriously capped at senior level. Agbonifo, Ogu, Egharevba, Monidafe and Agwo Nnaji were dropped from camp in 1980 before the Nations Cup after the 0-0 draw with cameroun at Liberty Stadium. Despite being camped in Brazil for a month.

That retards like Charles Bassey and Martin Eyo and Ekpeyong were capped and occupied space ahead of those Bendel Insurance players. Unless you are implying that these three were better than Ogboe, Agwo and Izevigbie/Agbonifo.

That Boateng was probably the best central defender in the country but was mysteriously dropped to make room for Chukwu in the '82 WCQ against Algeria game that led to our demise and virtual exit. despite his heroics against Tunisia and Guinea.

An unfit, imobile, injured and overweight mathematical was made captain and played with a torn hamstring against Guinea and Algeria despitehis request to be benched.

So in your honest opinion, only Adiele was good enough to be a regular? P-lease!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Toxic my boy

Post by oloye »

Sanga Balende wrote:Is it not odd that before your NNB babies (I am one), 1979-82,

Ogboe was never seriously capped at senior level. Agbonifo, Ogu, Egharevba, Monidafe and Agwo Nnaji were dropped from camp in 1980 before the Nations Cup after the 0-0 draw with cameroun at Liberty Stadium. Despite being camped in Brazil for a month.

That retards like Charles Bassey and Martin Eyo and Ekpeyong were capped and occupied space ahead of those Bendel Insurance players. Unless you are implying that these three were better than Ogboe, Agwo and Izevigbie/Agbonifo.

That Boateng was probably the best central defender in the country but was mysteriously dropped to make room for Chukwu in the '82 WCQ against Algeria game that led to our demise and virtual exit. despite his heroics against Tunisia and Guinea.

An unfit, imobile, injured and overweight mathematical was made captain and played with a torn hamstring against Guinea and Algeria despitehis request to be benched.

So in your honest opinion, only Adiele was good enough to be a regular? P-lease!
Sanga
One thing i try to avoid , is debate using the power of hindsight, anyone can lay claim to such fact.
Let me quickly answer the CCC issue, if you remember very well CCC retired at the prime of his career, he was forced to come out of retirement for the Algeria game, it took Jim Nwobodo and emissaries from even Shagari the president to make him come out of retirement. If the Chairman had not fumbled in that match , you would not have said what you said about him and Boateng.

Everyone including you will agree that CCC was the ultimate back then,he had a perfect patnership with Tunde Bamidele, who incidentally was the culprit in one of the goals conceeded.I dare anyone to come here and say they felt he should not have come out of retirement for that match. When i argue i do so with the context in mind.

It was a general consesus that he was needed, badly needed for the Algerian match, there was a desperate cry for his return, i can still picture the headlines, back then. He was promised everything under heaven, he was even given back the captainship, his situation could be likened to Zidane coming back to the French team. Remeber if you can Otto Gloria did not want him to retire yet, because there was no established center half in sight to fill his shoes.

Also remeber, the man did not go with the team on their ill fated tour to Iceland, when the match was to be played at 3.00pm in the humid hot lagos weather. He reported to camp with less than 3 weeks before the match, and the match was played under late Prof Otto Gloria, so what conspiracy are we talking about here.

It was after the match people felt he should not have played mmmm, talk is cheap. And by the way when he stepped aside it was a young Stephen Keshi who took over and not Boateng, so i fail to see the conspiracy theory here. The mountain hill againt Boateng was his nationality, we just could not get over the idea that he was a Ghanain.

As for Agwo Nnaji , please dont make me laugh, we already had two great goalkeepers in camp Okalla and Best, Best had to prove he could displace Okalla, before he was accepted, please homie , Agwo may be good in Benin, for Insurance,he does not come anywhere near Okalla and Best, common brother why are u doing this, neither does he have the experience that Okalla and Best had between them, Okalla was known all over Africa(from Africa games 1973- 1984), manning the post for Rangers in numerous African tournaments, Best was doing the same for Shooting, and just because Insurance won the the FA cup meant Agwo should become top goalkeeper, please brother it does not work that way.

May be he should have replaced Effiong, but i want to recollect he was also called to camp, and he was dropped, he must have been dropped because he was not good enough, simple. Ask the Oyinbo man in charge back then.

To cut the long story short, Insurance 's strenght was that they were able to play as a team, they had players who became household name, because of the team, Pa Alabi Assien was to later say to us about that team, i dont believe in stars, i believe in a team

The likes Ogboe , Chris Ogu, Egbvareva may be good in Bini, but when you put him against players like Usiyen , Alloysius Atuegbu, Odegbami, Adokiye, Owolabi, please brother try to capture the atmosphere back then, your answer will be a big mba , khaki no be leather. Ogboe was in camp when we were in dire need of a center forward, yet we had to convert Muda a midfielder to play as a striker, thank God we were being coached by a brazilian who knows his onions.

Will you advocate Odegbami lazy as he may be , but remains one of the highest scorers for naija to be dropped for Chris Ogu or Opodu, common my man, even there will be riots in the streets of Benin, Enugu and Kano.

It is times like this i rue being a nigerian because our records are not kept, i would have loved to bring the tapes of those era and look at the players you try to ridicule. Dont worry i understand what time does to human memory, i pardon you.

Bendel Insurance came from no where, they caught the two big guys Rangers and IICC offguard, no one was ready for their brand of football, and the suprise element simply swept the big teams away. That is the beauty of the FA cup.

To say there was any conspiracy to keep the insurance players away , is not being fair to these players both the ones from insurance and our heroes in the past.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

I do not think his argument is just based on the FA cup run of 1978.
What is apparent is that as at the nations cup 1980, Insurance were by far the best team in the country. They had won the national league in 1979 where they needed a point against Water coporation in the final league match in Ibadan of all places. (Ogboe had been shot in that city.)
One would have expected the champion bonus teams like leventis bennefited when they won thier titles regarding invitations and caps.
But it seems no one was ready to confront the 2 established blocks of nigerian soccer then.
gloria capped guys like Edoseghe, Ogu and Egharevba but for whatever reasons, he never took them to tournaments.
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

megapro wrote:I do not think his argument is just based on the FA cup run of 1978.
What is apparent is that as at the nations cup 1980, Insurance were by far the best team in the country. They had won the national league in 1979 where they needed a point against Water coporation in the final league match in Ibadan of all places. (Ogboe had been shot in that city.)
One would have expected the champion bonus teams like leventis bennefited when they won thier titles regarding invitations and caps.
But it seems no one was ready to confront the 2 established blocks of nigerian soccer then.
gloria capped guys like Edoseghe, Ogu and Egharevba but for whatever reasons, he never took them to tournaments.
Who will you drop for Edosoghe, Ogu, and Egharevba, in that Eagles squad. That is the point. Will you drop Big Sege for Ogu, mind you in my books Ogu was also a fantastic player, but like i said somewhere, some players came at the wrong time. Will you drop Adokiye or Owoblow for Egharevba(sic) or who in the defence will you drop for Amos Edoseghe. Remeber we had the following playing in the defence then, Adiele, who dethroned Ekeji from the right back, Okey Isima on the left, where Owoblow often features as well before he was moved upfront., CCC, Tunde Bamidele, Johny Orlando(who ironically is a Ghanian), Kadiri Ikhana , who was from the glorious Insurance team, i believe Adiele and Ikhana were from that team, that puts to rest the conspiracy theory.

Even Kadiri had to play in the midfield, such was the abundance of talents back then . Ofcourse there were players like Franklin Howard a much better player than Keshi back then (a victim of knee injury) all in the waiting. It was Howard's bad knee that made Keshi leap frog him in the pecking order. Amos stood no chance, it was as simple as that. Then from nowhere Eboigbe joined the CD queue, a player Keshi preferred over Amos.

Wo there were a thousand players who could have played back then. There was a very good CD from ACB back then Frank Onwuachi( or so), Idowu Otubusin(slow poison) from Shooting, the queue was as long as the queue to enter the national stadium on match day back then, they waited for almost 10 years just to take over from CCC, it never happened, take a trip back to those years, you will see why CCC reigned supreme, he was awesome, not only as a player , but as a leader of men.

If i remember Ogboe was called to camp , the Ogboe of Insurance was never the same in the national team, remeber this was the time Usiyen left us in the lurch in 1977, we were looking for a center forward, a search that took almost 8 years before Yekini surfaced. How many guys did we try as center forward, mmm let me count, Ifeanyi Onyedika, Kelechi 'Bulldozer' Emeteole,Martins Eyo, Ogboe(whose handicap was being a one legged left footed player), Muda Lawal, Emma Osigwe, we even tried to bring in John Fashanu, and also this guy from Portugal something Obiora who used to play for Rangers before going abroad, in 1982 out of desperation we even had to bring back an out of shape Usiyen just because that position was begging to be filled, what was keeping Ogboe out, it was his for the asking. It was only in 1984 that a young strappling gangling striker unearthed by IICC from UNTL FC kaduna by name Yekini, tried out for that position and the nation for a minute felt well at least we have someone who looks the part.
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Oloye,

Pls add John Nwadioha to the list of guys we tried as No 9 after Usiyen. I remember once Usiyen (who departed after our match with Ivory Coast who we beat 4-0 in Lagos and drew 2-2 in Abidjan), we brought Paul Nwadioha in against Egypt and once he netted our 4th in our 4-0 demolition of Egypt, we thought Thompson who? But unfortunately Nwadioha never lived up to the billing.

NB the guy from Portugal was Richard Owubokiri who played for Bahia FC.
Last edited by Goldleaf on Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can control your choice, but not necessarily the consequences
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Goldleaf wrote:Oloye,

Pls add John Nwadioha to the list of guys we tried as No 9 after Usiyen. I remember once Usiyen (who departed after our match with Ivory Coast who we beat 4-0 in Lagos and drew 2-2 in Abidjan), we brought Paul Nwadioha in against Egypt and once he netted our 4th in our 4-0 demolition of Egypt, we thought Thompson who? But unfortunately Nwadioha never lived up to the billing.
Yes u are right, he was what you will call a big flash in the pan.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

oloye wrote:
megapro wrote:I do not think his argument is just based on the FA cup run of 1978.
Who will you drop for Edosoghe, Ogu, and Egharevba, in that Eagles squad. That is the point. Will you drop Big Sege for Ogu, mind you in my books Ogu was also a fantastic player, but like i said somewhere, some players came at the wrong time. Will you drop Adokiye or Owoblow for Egharevba(sic) or who in the defence will you drop for Amos Edoseghe. Remeber we had the following playing in the defence then, Adiele, who dethroned Ekeji from the right back, Okey Isima on the left, where Owoblow often features as well before he was moved upfront., CCC, Tunde Bamidele, Johny Orlando(who ironically is a Ghanian), Kadiri Ikhana , who was from the glorious Insurance team, i believe Adiele and Ikhana were from that team, that puts to rest the conspiracy theory.

Even Kadiri had to play in the midfield, such was the abundance of talents back then . Ofcourse there were players like Franklin Howard a much better player than Keshi back then (a victim of knee injury) all in the waiting. It was Howard's bad knee that made Keshi leap frog him in the pecking order. Amos stood no chance, it was as simple as that. Then from nowhere Eboigbe joined the CD queue, a player Keshi preferred over Amos.

Wo there were a thousand players who could have played back then. There was a very good CD from ACB back then Frank Onwuachi( or so), Idowu Otubusin(slow poison) from Shooting, the queue was as long as the queue to enter the national stadium on match day back then, they waited for almost 10 years just to take over from CCC, it never happened, take a trip back to those years, you will see why CCC reigned supreme, he was awesome, not only as a player , but as a leader of men.

If i remember Ogboe was called to camp , the Ogboe of Insurance was never the same in the national team, remeber this was the time Usiyen left us in the lurch in 1977, we were looking for a center forward, a search that took almost 8 years before Yekini surfaced. How many guys did we try as center forward, mmm let me count, Ifeanyi Onyedika, Kelechi 'Bulldozer' Emeteole,Martins Eyo, Ogboe(whose handicap was being a one legged left footed player), Muda Lawal, Emma Osigwe, we even tried to bring in John Fashanu, and also this guy from Portugal something Obiora who used to play for Rangers before going abroad, in 1982 out of desperation we even had to bring back an out of shape Usiyen just because that position was begging to be filled, what was keeping Ogboe out, it was his for the asking. It was only in 1984 that a young strappling gangling striker unearthed by IICC from UNTL FC kaduna by name Yekini, tried out for that position and the nation for a minute felt well at least we have someone who looks the part.
Oloye,
You have written a nice piece but kept bringing sure starters like Odegbami, CCC, or adokiye.
Which of the FF gold medalists below had more depth as at 1980 than these fellows.
Agwo, Ogu, Afejukwu, Boateng, Monidafe?

Charles Bassey
Ifeanyi Onyeadika
Eyo Martins
Sheffiu Mohammed
Moses Effiong
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

megapro wrote:
oloye wrote:

Oloye,
You have written a nice piece but kept bringing sure starters like Odegbami, CCC, or adokiye.
Which of the FF gold medalists below had more depth as at 1980 than these fellows.
Agwo, Ogu, Afejukwu, Boateng, Monidafe?

Charles Bassey
Ifeanyi Onyeadika
Eyo Martins
Sheffiu Mohammed
Moses Effiong
Megapro
While raking my head i am trying to justify the inclusioon of these players.
Ifeanyi Oyedika was called to the camp last minute, if you can rewing the time, this dude came from no where and was banging goals in the league. Mind you i said in the league not just over two legs of FA cup. The guy was one of the best strikers in the land around that time. How he never measured up in the camp still baffles me till today. But then he was a student in IMT back then, so i can imagine his frame of mind.
Charles Bassey had his pedigree with Calabar Rovers, these guys were doing it in the league, ofcourse most of these names were only in the camp for the 1980 nations cup, most of them disappeared after.
As for Shefiu Mohammed mmmmmmm megapro, i am sure you will struggle to remeber this guy, Raccah Rovers was a great team from Kano in the 70's, they produced such great players like Annas Ahmed, Baba #$%(voted the best winger in Africa in Dire Dawa ANC76). Shefiu was a very talented , very skillful player from the north.
Moses Efiong(Calabar Rovers) was younger than Agwo Nnaji, he was just from secondary school, with two establieshed goalkeepers , the only reason why Effiong would be over Agwo, would be , there was no point keeping Agwo in camp. Hey how long did Agwo last before he was replaced by George Ebojor, not too long, Agwo, was a Rangers reject, if my memory still serves me right.
Wo megapro, let us just sum it this way, Insurance had a team , but most of their players as individuals were not the best in their positions as of that time.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Why are these guys 'retards'?
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

oloye wrote:

The guy from Portugal is Chris Nwokocha.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Gadfly
God bless u, where una dey since, i have been at the mercy of l megapro who as u can see is an Insurance shriner. :lol: :lol:
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Thank God, the coach was FC. If he was a Nigerian, many of these folks who think like Taribo West who have outrightly cried "tribalism" !
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
Chief Goza
Egg
Egg

Post by Chief Goza »

oloye wrote:Gadfly
God bless u, where una dey since, i have been at the mercy of l megapro who as u can see is an Insurance shriner. :lol: :lol:
Oloye,

Nnamdi Nwokocha (aka Camel) is da man you were after (not sure if he was called Chris as well)!

There was actually a 'something' Obiora who played for Rangers and went to Portugal after that - Okwuchukwu Obiora (popularly called Agari-Mojo). However, he wasn't capped and wasn't of that era (he was of the Charles Okonkwo era).
Proverbs 14:16
A wise man fears and departs from evil, But a fool rages and is self-confident.
-------------------------------------------------------
Many receive advice but only the wise profit from it.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Chief Goza wrote:
oloye wrote:Gadfly
Oloye,

Nnamdi Nwokocha (aka Camel) is da man you were after (not sure if he was called Chris as well)!

There was actually a 'something' Obiora who played for Rangers and went to Portugal after that - Okwuchukwu Obiora (popularly called Agari-Mojo). However, he wasn't capped and wasn't of that era (he was of the Charles Okonkwo era).
agarimojo came to insurance after the CWC campaign with rangers in 1984 and spent one season. that dancer could shuffle. I bet ronaldo learnt his rapig legover stunt from him.
megapro 2012:
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

The player from Portugal was Christain Nwokocha playing for Sporting Lisbon. Also invited for that match against Algeria were Andrew Atuegbu and Thompson Usiyen both from the United States.
As per conspiracy against Bendel Insurance at national team level, Peter Egharevba started the WC qualifier against Tanzania in Lagos, he was so poor that he was subbed at half-time.
Players like Shefiu Mohammed and Martins Eyo were seasoned internationals who played in both Ghana'78 and Algiers'78, so that may have counted for their inclusion in the 1980 Nations cup squad. The only suprises were Moses Effiong, Charles Bassey and John Orlando.
I am happy
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Chief Goza wrote:Oloye,

GADFLY was correct....

It was CHRISTIAN Nwokocha, not Nnamdi Nwokocha (aka Camel). Christian was Nnamdi's older brother who played for Vasco while in high school and was invited to the Eagles' squad before emigrating to the US, where he set all kinds of scoring records at Clemson (most of which were later broken by his brother Nnamdi) before going to Portugal where he played for both Benfica and Sporting Lisbon. However, by 1982, he was clearly on the wane.

<
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Dammy wrote:The player from Portugal was Christain Nwokocha playing for Sporting Lisbon. Also invited for that match against Algeria were Andrew Atuegbu and Thompson Usiyen both from the United States.
As per conspiracy against Bendel Insurance at national team level, Peter Egharevba started the WC qualifier against Tanzania in Lagos, he was so poor that he was subbed at half-time.
Players like Shefiu Mohammed and Martins Eyo were seasoned internationals who played in both Ghana'78 and Algiers'78, so that may have counted for their inclusion in the 1980 Nations cup squad. The only suprises were Moses Effiong, Charles Bassey and John Orlando.
Dammy,
the issue is about 1980 nations cup selection.. with Egharevba you are very mistaken.
1. he neither played in the 1-1 first leg against tanzania (chidozie , owolabi, odegbami)
2. nor the second leg (chiedozie, Nwokocha, Odegbami)

you must be refering to the second leg ACN qualifying match against guinea in april 1981 where chiedozie replaced him in the 30th min after an injury.
regarding sheffiu and martins, chris ogu was also a seasoned international that played both Ghana 78 and Algiers 78.
megapro 2012:
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Megapro, you are right, It was the game against Guinea which Egharevba flopped. My memory is hazy as it was a long time ago.
I am happy
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Dammy wrote:Megapro, you are right, It was the game against Guinea which Egharevba flopped. My memory is hazy as it was a long time ago.
many players have flopped on many occasions but got other chances to prove themselves. In egharevba's case it was not his first competetive match for nigeria and he had previously proven himself.

Who out there can remember how shooting was awarded the inconclusive 1983 league?
megapro 2012:
Chief Goza
Egg
Egg

Post by Chief Goza »

Gotti wrote:
Chief Goza wrote:Oloye,

GADFLY was correct....

It was CHRISTIAN Nwokocha, not Nnamdi Nwokocha (aka Camel). Christian was Nnamdi's older brother who played for Vasco while in high school and was invited to the Eagles' squad before emigrating to the US, where he set all kinds of scoring records at Clemson (most of which were later broken by his brother Nnamdi) before going to Portugal where he played for both Benfica and Sporting Lisbon. However, by 1982, he was clearly on the wane.

<
Yes, yes, yes, I remember now.
Proverbs 14:16
A wise man fears and departs from evil, But a fool rages and is self-confident.
-------------------------------------------------------
Many receive advice but only the wise profit from it.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

megapro wrote:
Dammy wrote:Megapro, you are right, It was the game against Guinea which Egharevba flopped. My memory is hazy as it was a long time ago.
many players have flopped on many occasions but got other chances to prove themselves. In egharevba's case it was not his first competetive match for nigeria and he had previously proven himself.

Who out there can remember how shooting was awarded the inconclusive 1983 league?
Megapro
I hear u Egbarevba not only flopped, he fumbled and wombled chei, i remember how it Nwosu who bailed us out with one of his ballistic missiles towards the end of the match. Kai i can still see that missile homing in to the back of the net. It was a ground to surface one slithering dangerously on the green grass well beyond the reach of the Guinean gk.