Rangers/Shooting/NFA conspiracy against Bendel Insurance?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Waffiman wrote:BTW! Oloye, I consider it a travesty that it took Ekeji to fall out with the Coaching staff before Adiele got his chance. Adiele was a far better player.
WAFFI:
Please quit the blasphemy...

For whatever wanker that Ekeji has unfortunately since turned himself into, David Adiele cannot carry his jock straps on the field of play. Both players were actually in the same Vasco team together and Adiele (who I believe had been recruited from a Camerounian club) was actually stuck behind Charles Adimora at RB before Adimora moved cross town to Rangers. Interestingly, of the defenders in that Vasco team, Ekeji, Adiele, Ignatius Illechukwu and Felix Emordi all became full internationals.

you really cannot deny the fact that playing for Ranger or Sootin gave you an advantage for the GE shirt
Of course, it did. Both teams were perenial continential campaigners and their players had the widest international experience and the most exposure.
<
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

OLOYE/MEGAPRO:
Btw, great kudos...
You both have displayed tremendous archival knowledge.

<
Bomaye
Egg
Egg

Post by Bomaye »

I really enjoyed this thread........too bad I do not have time to make contributions!
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

Great thread. So Nigerians can still argue over controversy with facts and without abuse? It has been years since I have seen such.
Sanga Balende
Egg
Egg
Oloye

Post by Sanga Balende »

I sabi Wasiu and Dimeji well well. In addition, Tosin Adebambo and off course Seasn Alade were all paddys in addition to the late sweeper.

My toughest opponent to mark was Niyi Adeleye AKA KK from AFRO and the 1985 Flying Eagles team Anyone know his where abouts?
Sanga Balende
Egg
Egg
Gotti

Post by Sanga Balende »

The famous George Otti

What ever happened to kenneth Ilodigwe, Nwankwo Mwabueze, John Nwadioha and Christian (My Main Man) Madu, bring it??
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

Kaizer wrote:No actually ,i was trying try to remember the different era of Shooting stars and some of some reason i cant remember the Friday Catos,Mumini Kelanis, Wasiu Adebayos and co. I guess the disappointment of watching my darling team losing to Rovers in Ibadan (i still remember that free kick that led to the goal in 86)and the eventual relegation made me block out that era .
That was trauma.

I remember Adejare Kabiruas another long -time servant of the club.
Kai, Kaizer...........No bring back pain ooooooo. Kabiru Adejare was in the team the same period that Ozogula, Kelani and Temile were there.
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Toxicarrow wrote:
Kaizer wrote:No actually ,i was trying try to remember the different era of Shooting stars and some of some reason i cant remember the Friday Catos,Mumini Kelanis, Wasiu Adebayos and co. I guess the disappointment of watching my darling team losing to Rovers in Ibadan (i still remember that free kick that led to the goal in 86)and the eventual relegation made me block out that era .
That was trauma.

I remember Adejare Kabiruas another long -time servant of the club.
Kai, Kaizer...........No bring back pain ooooooo. Kabiru Adejare was in the team the same period that Ozogula, Kelani and Temile were there.
was it not the 1-3 loss to Leventis in the last game that actually confirmed relegation?
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

mega and oloye, God bless both of you for your photogenic memories. 8-) 8-) 8-)

This debate would have made one hell of " classic ESPN" special with footages to prove both sides.
Samson Siasia speaking FACTs about 2008.
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099
omo-eko
Egg
Egg
AO

Post by omo-eko »

Oloye well said, henry nwosu, started his playing carrier,with johnson white with keshi, in the lagos local league,(LAFA) then played for GREATER TOMMOROW , that entertain fans before any internationals games, from their lagos Rangers (ACB) from their to NNB, and you forget to mentioned, charles bassey and eugene ohabuwa, they are part of victorious 80 eagles
Last edited by omo-eko on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Waffiman wrote:I gotta say, long time I enjoyed a thread like this. This is cracking stuff, it reminds me of some classic debates we have had on this forum when we had a top league and top ballers.

BTW! Oloye, I consider it a travesty that it took Ekeji to fall out with the Coaching staff before Adiele got his chance. Adiele was a far better player.
Sootin and Rangers dorminated, consequently, their players were more fashionable for the GE. The fact is, the same thing happens in every league, just look at England for example. If you play for the top team, you get a call to the national side. But if you play for the less fashionable sides up North, you will not play for England. For Germany, na Bayern Munich, for Italy na the same.

So Oloye, as much as you make some good points against, Megapro and those who see things differently also have a point. Y you really cannot deny the fact that playing for Ranger or Sootin gave you an advantage for the GE shirt.
Waffi
Aww common bro only an Insurance shriner will say that. Adiele 's skills were very very limited. He was a defender with nothing to add. Go watch the nations cup matches again and tell me how many times he made it to the center line.
Ekeji was by far better, i never knew why he never played in that tournament until what i learnt from the CE forum, that it was due to a fall out.
Let me refresh your memory, Ekeji was a better defender, packed bullet in his boots, one of the 3 players in that era with long throw . The others remains, Moses Otolorin(IICC), Nwankwo Nwabueze(Rangers). And he does make effort to cross the center line with the ball, though not on regular basis 8-) 8-) .

Kneedeep
Nigerians can still argue without insults, as long as we can steer it clear sensitive issues like tribe and religion, especially tribe, and if we are not making up stories. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Megapro
How u dey , i had this burning in my mind since last fri when u asked me , if Odegbami and Ogu ever played together. When Odegbami joined eagles, he did not start playing as a winger, he was not a winger for his club, even when they won the Winners cup in 1976, he was playing as what they call inside left back then, the modern day attacking midfielder or support striker. Otolorin , was the main striker for IICC, while Philip Boamah was the one playing from the right wing.
In Big Sege 's early SE days, he was playing a similar role, because i must admit Ogu was favoured on the right, but Odegbami was later switched to the right yes by the same Father Tiko, it turned out to be a master switch. I will not pretend to know when, but this i can authoritatively say, Odegbami did not start out as a right winger.
Anyway we have flogged this issue, left and right, what remains as a disagreement, if i can call it that remains sentiments. But i must say i found you a worthy opponent in the arena of mind bruising . Once again i salute your knowledge of the history of Nigerian football. You have joined the list erudite minds i hold in high esteem on this wonderful cyber space.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Hmm i just got to this thread.. Nice and interesting responses from my fellow comrades... Bendel Insurance as good as they were back then always seems to whine about every little thing... I am not surprised by this thread...
Soldier of Fortune...
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AO

Post by megapro »

Oloye,
if only a resonable amount of nigerians had the class you do, we wont be lingering as third world anymore.
The debate was extreemly exciting to me.
Sentiments are obviously there cos I was born to be an insurance fan.
Your stand is favorable cos you are spared the burden of proof and onus is on us to to extablish a case if there is any.

No one however should begrudge the players that made the final squad cos they eventualy won the cup and were all good in thier own rights.
I took an interest in sanga balende's topic and found it convenient to chip in my bias which should ultimately prove not to be groundless.
One by one, records are going to expose the shady doings in our society then.

we were young but were shocked to see the 7th best african player of the year 1979 not make the nations cup rooster 2 months later when he was neither injured nor dead.

African Player of the Year 1979

Top 10

1. Thomas N´KONO 55 pts Cameroon Canon Yaoundé (Cmr)
2. Adolf ARMAH 23 " Ghana Hearts of Oak (Gha)
3. Kerfalla BANGOURA 15 " Guinea Horoya Conakry (Gui)
4. Abdoulaye CAMPAORÉ 13 " Upper Volta [*] AS Bobo-Dioulasso (Vol)
5. Nahashion OLUOCH 9 " Kenya Gor Mahia (Ken)
6. KIYIKA 8 " Zaire ?
7. Felix AGBONIFO 7 " Nigeria Bendel Insurance (Nga)
8. Pascal MIEZAN 6 " Ivory Coast ASEC Abidjan (CIv)
9. Muda LAWAL 5 " Nigeria IICC Shooting Stars (Nga)
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AO

Post by megapro »

omo-eko wrote:Oloye well said, henry nwosu, started his playing carrier,with johnson white with keshi, in the lagos local league,(LAFA) then played for GREATER TOMMOROW , that entertain fans before any internationals games, from their lagos Rangers (ACB) from their to NNB, and you forget to mentioned, charles bassey and eugene ohabuwa, they are part victorious 80 eagles
Omoeko,
pls confirm the list below and pls help provide the missing player.

ACN 1980 SQUAD

1. Best Ogedegbe
2. Emmanuel Okala
3. Moses Effiong

4. David Adiele
5. Christian Chukwu (cpt)
6. Tunde Bamidele
7. Godwin Odiye
8. Okey Isima
9. Kadiri Ikhana

10. Muda Lawal
11. Aloy Atuegbu
12. Sylvanus Okpala
13. Henry Nwosu
14. Charles Bassey
15. Shefiu Mohammed
16. Martins Eyo

17. Segun Odegbami
18. Ifeanyi Onyedika
19. Felix Owolabi
20. Adokiye Amaesiemaka
21. Eugene Ohanbuwa
Last edited by megapro on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
megapro 2012:
omo-eko
Egg
Egg
se

Post by omo-eko »

Megapro, complete list, nice stuff this is what i like to see on this forum, bring back the memories, I WILL LIKE US TO DISCUSS about, MAC DEMORT OF WARRI FC, FLASH FLAMINGO, BENDEL UTD, UGBOWO FC, NNB, NNB IS MY TEAM, I TRAVELLED WITH TEAM DURING THEIR WAFU CAMPAIGN, I WILL NOT FORGET THEIR GAME AGAINST,DJOLIMBA OF MALI, AT STADE DE MALIAN STADIUM, NNB WON THAT GAME 3-1 AFTER THE GAME, THE ARMY THAT WERE SUPPOSE TO BE OUR SECURITY ATTACK US BUT THEIR FANS COME TO OUR RESCUE, BECAUSE THEY APPRECIATE GOOD FOOTBALL, EXHIBIT BY NNB, MEGAPRO GONE ARE THOSE DAYS , THAT WE ENJOY GOOD GAMES, GODWIN BAZUAYE AND ANTHONY OTTA ARE GOOD COACHES THEN
omo-eko
Egg
Egg
aw

Post by omo-eko »

Oloye wrote
Megapro
How u dey , i had this burning in my mind since last fri when u asked me , if Odegbami and Ogu ever played together. When Odegbami joined eagles, he did not start playing as a winger, he was not a winger for his club, even when they won the Winners cup in 1976, he was playing as what they call inside left back then, the modern day attacking midfielder or support striker. Otolorin , was the main striker for IICC, while Philip Boamah was the one playing from the right wing.
In Big Sege 's early SE days, he was playing a similar role, because i must admit Ogu was favoured on the right, but Odegbami was later switched to the right yes by the same Father Tiko, it turned out to be a master switch. I will not pretend to know when, but this i can authoritatively say, Odegbami did not start out as a right winger.
Anyway we have flogged this issue, left and right, what remains as a disagreement, if i can call it that remains sentiments. But i must say i found you a worthy opponent in the arena of mind bruising . Once again i salute your knowledge of the history of Nigerian football. You have joined the list erudite minds i hold in high esteem on this wonderful cyber space

Oloye, at ibadan poly odegbami played as outside right player, even at housing corporation, as for ogu he is a good player and i cannot forget, the fight between him and late folorunsho gambari, inside the dressing-room,during 1978 challenge cup semi-final
between 3sc and bendel insurance, what a day and what a game, where is rasaki fadare and rasaki amosa, both of them use to be a good goal-keepers in those days
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rangers/Shooting/NFA conspiracy against Bendel Insurance?

Post by megapro »

Bump.

The great Oloye at his very best!

nice oldie thread.
megapro 2012:
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Sometimes i read this old thread and i am reminded why CE became an addiction
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

oloye wrote:Sometimes i read this old thread and i am reminded why CE became an addiction
True! I still disagree with about Ekeji and Adiele. :winking: :winking: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Waffiman wrote:
oloye wrote:Sometimes i read this old thread and i am reminded why CE became an addiction
True! I still disagree with about Ekeji and Adiele. :winking: :winking: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dejavu.

pls who can elaborate on the IICC-Rangers conflict that resulted in the league being truncated in 1983 and the title awarded to IICC?.
megapro 2012:
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Great thread!
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Waffiman wrote:
With the way Ekeji has turned to devil incarnate i am tempted to throw in the towel and agree with you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Next
Egg
Egg
Re:

Post by Next »

oloye wrote:
megapro wrote:I do not think his argument is just based on the FA cup run of 1978.
What is apparent is that as at the nations cup 1980, Insurance were by far the best team in the country. They had won the national league in 1979 where they needed a point against Water coporation in the final league match in Ibadan of all places. (Ogboe had been shot in that city.)
One would have expected the champion bonus teams like leventis bennefited when they won thier titles regarding invitations and caps.
But it seems no one was ready to confront the 2 established blocks of nigerian soccer then.
gloria capped guys like Edoseghe, Ogu and Egharevba but for whatever reasons, he never took them to tournaments.
Who will you drop for Edosoghe, Ogu, and Egharevba, in that Eagles squad. That is the point. Will you drop Big Sege for Ogu, mind you in my books Ogu was also a fantastic player, but like i said somewhere, some players came at the wrong time. Will you drop Adokiye or Owoblow for Egharevba(sic) or who in the defence will you drop for Amos Edoseghe. Remeber we had the following playing in the defence then, Adiele, who dethroned Ekeji from the right back, Okey Isima on the left, where Owoblow often features as well before he was moved upfront., CCC, Tunde Bamidele, Johny Orlando(who ironically is a Ghanian), Kadiri Ikhana , who was from the glorious Insurance team, i believe Adiele and Ikhana were from that team, that puts to rest the conspiracy theory.

Even Kadiri had to play in the midfield, such was the abundance of talents back then . Ofcourse there were players like Franklin Howard a much better player than Keshi back then (a victim of knee injury) all in the waiting. It was Howard's bad knee that made Keshi leap frog him in the pecking order. Amos stood no chance, it was as simple as that. Then from nowhere Eboigbe joined the CD queue, a player Keshi preferred over Amos.

Wo there were a thousand players who could have played back then. There was a very good CD from ACB back then Frank Onwuachi( or so), Idowu Otubusin(slow poison) from Shooting, the queue was as long as the queue to enter the national stadium on match day back then, they waited for almost 10 years just to take over from CCC, it never happened, take a trip back to those years, you will see why CCC reigned supreme, he was awesome, not only as a player , but as a leader of men.

If i remember Ogboe was called to camp , the Ogboe of Insurance was never the same in the national team, remeber this was the time Usiyen left us in the lurch in 1977, we were looking for a center forward, a search that took almost 8 years before Yekini surfaced. How many guys did we try as center forward, mmm let me count, Ifeanyi Onyedika, Kelechi 'Bulldozer' Emeteole,Martins Eyo, Ogboe(whose handicap was being a one legged left footed player), Muda Lawal, Emma Osigwe, we even tried to bring in John Fashanu, and also this guy from Portugal something Obiora who used to play for Rangers before going abroad, in 1982 out of desperation we even had to bring back an out of shape Usiyen just because that position was begging to be filled, what was keeping Ogboe out, it was his for the asking. It was only in 1984 that a young strappling gangling striker unearthed by IICC from UNTL FC kaduna by name Yekini, tried out for that position and the nation for a minute felt well at least we have someone who looks the part.

Oloye:
No offence meant:
Just how old are you?
Damn, never heard of any of these players before. Ok, i confess, didnt live in nigeria that long.... But if all these guyz are as good as you guyz are saying, i would have loved to see them in action! :-)
TERRORISM is the WAR of the POOR while WAR is the TERRORISM of the RICH!

The Best Quotes For Me So Far: "I was born here but brought up as an African. When you reach adulthood you either feel African or you don't, and it's not worth playing if you don't have that feeling." Efan Ekoku