Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:50 am
Posts: 10173
Location: Nigeria
oloye wrote:
Megapro
Ofcourse it was destined to take a swerve based on what the contributor has in mind. My reference to Alabi Assien was to let you know who and who was involved in the selection process, but you mentioning Ikhana as the only Insurance player that made the medal list got me alarmed because Adiele was also an Inurance player.

You are the one who still feels that there were better players that should be accomodated in a team that won the CUP, because i cant see why we need to argue for other players if the main issue is merit and not something more like a secret agenda.

If we had not won the CUP meeen i would have been all ears, by the way i am from Edo state, from Ozalla, so i should be arguing for Insurance, you see my problem as a youth i was a Rangers shriner, despite my mum being of yoruba extraction.

I did not live in Enugu, i grew up in Ibadan Shooting should have been my team, but i hated them back then with a passion, but they play better football than Rangers, but we know how to whoop their a$$, with their fancy football. Rangers in the 70/80 were da bomb, i blame the creation of Imo state for the demise of my dear Rangers.

Why did i take you through this, so you can know my stand on this. Insurance may have won the FA cup, but it was not because they had the best players, they had a better team, player for player in those days, who was in Insurance, they were all second best to the players from Shooting, no insult intended.


Oloye,
well emphasising the FA cup win diminishes the fact that Insurance won the 1979 league and we may never agree on if insurance deserved to contribute more than 2 players.
Insurance remais my team. I am not arguing that eguavoen should have taken 7 or 13 of the present bunch to Egypt because they dont deserve 1 but only maintaing that the class of 79 deserved more.

_________________
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold


Last edited by megapro on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:39 am
Posts: 9476
Here we go....Re-read your response to my statement/comments/rhetorical [sp] questions.

Toxicarrow wrote:
megapro wrote:
Toxicarrow wrote:
OLOYE:

You know what's funny about this whole thread is that Insurance fans believe that their players were excluded from the ANC 80 team due to Shooting/Rangers conspiracy. But none of them have come out to tell why bulk of Sebastien Broderick's players and invitees for the Golden Eaglets' team of 1985 and 1987 were from Benin-Warri axis and to a large extent Lagos area. Could it have been Flash/NNB/Insurance consipiracy against Sooting, Rangers, Stores, and other teams.

Also, none of them have come to tell us why vast majority of the invites to AO's team of 1983-1984 were from NNPC Warri, NNB, Flash and even Insurance.....What happened to the players of Sooting and Rangers in that period? At least, Rangers was the FA Cup champion in 1983 and Sooting was the 1983 league champion. Also, in 1984, Rangers was league champion and Sooting finished in the third place on the league table. Could it the same argument that there was a big conspiracy against Sooting and Rangers players?


Rather than using our brains, vast majority of Nigerian soccer fans allow sentiment to cloud their sense of reasoning.


Toxic if you bring that issue of 1984, then state the magomago wen rangers take win league that year.
Keshi, Nwosu, Tarila, Eboigbe, Omokaro, Edoseghe, Edobor, Ozogula and Igbinobaro (U20) dey calabar rovers match, NFA no let them Play. Ranger carry crown.

Why where majority of the 1985 boys from bendel???
I will tell you. The national sports festival that same year (was restricted to U18) showed the whole world that the bendelites that went to china deserved to go cos they annihilated all opposition on thier way to the gold medal. Emeka Amadi wen keep for Anambra that in the final they lost to bendel (0-3) will confirm that to you.

Because bendel had 9 players, the next tournament there was a policy that not more that 2 from a state could b invited. (federal character) we lost.

When Amun took 6 with him to Japan 93, the Cup came back.
Open your eyes.


Now look at yourself.....You quickly attributed under-17 WC victories of 1985 and 1993 to the "Bendel factor" (i.e presence of Bendel boys) and the defeat of 1987 to the absence of the "Bendel factor" !

Now, what difference could the presence Bendel Insurance players or "Bendelites" (as you've have used in your response to me) in ANC 80 have made to the Green Eagles' victory? Could the presence of Insurance players or "Bendelites" have allowed Eagles to win another trophy that's beyond ANC trophy at the ANC 80?

From the tone of your response, it seems to me that your argument is not really about the institution or club "Bendel Insurance" and the players that play for that institution BUT about "NOT HAVING MANY PLAYERS FROM THE OLD BENDEL STATE" in the national team of 1980 ANC. To be candid with you, you need to free yourself from your "ethnic sentiment" ! Everything is not about black and white.

The fact that Bendel Insurance is based in Benin does neither dennotate [sp] nor connotate to me that its players are strictly "Bini boys." ! A mindset such as yours is one of the primary reasons why our football culture/industry is not growing. Everything is "ethnicized" ! :shock:

_________________
Check out Sooting's website:
http://www.3sc.com.ng


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:50 am
Posts: 10173
Location: Nigeria
Quote:
But none of them have come out to tell why bulk of Sebastien Broderick's players and invitees for the Golden Eaglets' team of 1985 and 1987 were from Benin-Warri axis and to a large extent Lagos area.


toxicarrow,
that was from you.
It needed no nuclear scientist.
that was a task and I gave not only an answer but the most appropriate of evidence.

_________________
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:39 am
Posts: 9476
megapro wrote:
Quote:
But none of them have come out to tell why bulk of Sebastien Broderick's players and invitees for the Golden Eaglets' team of 1985 and 1987 were from Benin-Warri axis and to a large extent Lagos area.


toxicarrow,
that was from you.
It needed no nuclear scientist.
that was a task and I gave not only an answer but the most appropriate of evidence.


Don't pull out one sentence from the comment. Read it within its meaningful context and deduce the meaning. Then compare and contrast to what you wrote in response.

_________________
Check out Sooting's website:
http://www.3sc.com.ng


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: we
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:39 am
Posts: 2112
Location: somewhere
Oloye and Toxicarrow, nice stuff from both of you, is like you two are reading my mind, but i will like to comment about the EAGLET,S, , the reason we have most bendel boys in that team, his that the coach is from bendel, period

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: we
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:50 am
Posts: 10173
Location: Nigeria
omo-eko wrote:
Oloye and Toxicarrow, nice stuff from both of you, is like you two are reading my mind, but i will like to comment about the EAGLET,S, , the reason we have most bendel in that team, his that the coach is from bendel, period


you could not say it better. PC makes us stick to the peripheri.
we know the intention the moment eglets were introduced to a 1980 issue.

_________________
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold


Last edited by megapro on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:28 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:35 pm
Posts: 51024
Sanga Balende wrote:
Oloye, just like the NFL, boxing and other main stream sports, I believe that the conglomerates (Shooting/Rangers/NFA) were not ready for Alabi Aissien and his modern bunch. Neither were the NFA or Eagles ready for NNB to break the strong hold of both clubs.

The fact is that Egharevba, Ogboe, Agbonifo and that Bendel Insurance team ( Not just Adiele and Kadiri) were superior to Rangers and IICC.

Truth be told. For whatever reason, the NFA did not feel that Agbonifo could understudy Lawal or that Nnaji Agwo was a better keeper than Ogedegbe or Okalla.

Any team that trashes Shooting and Rangers 5-0 in one week cannot be a fluke.


God Bless you my bro. We don do this topic before for here but this yeye Rangers and sootin people for here just dey through dem yansh. :P :P :P :P :P

I know say dem say na because Boateng na Ghanaman. I bet you if Leotis (Who I rate better than any CD that time apart from CCC) played for Rangers or Sootin, he for be regular for Green Eagus. :x :x :x

_________________
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:30 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:35 pm
Posts: 51024
Can anybody explain to me why Ekeji even dey drag shirt with Adiele? That was an insult to Adiele but na because Adiele na Insurance player. :x :x :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

_________________
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:50 am
Posts: 10173
Location: Nigeria
Waffiman wrote:
Sanga Balende wrote:
Oloye, just like the NFL, boxing and other main stream sports, I believe that the conglomerates (Shooting/Rangers/NFA) were not ready for Alabi Aissien and his modern bunch. Neither were the NFA or Eagles ready for NNB to break the strong hold of both clubs.

The fact is that Egharevba, Ogboe, Agbonifo and that Bendel Insurance team ( Not just Adiele and Kadiri) were superior to Rangers and IICC.

Truth be told. For whatever reason, the NFA did not feel that Agbonifo could understudy Lawal or that Nnaji Agwo was a better keeper than Ogedegbe or Okalla.

Any team that trashes Shooting and Rangers 5-0 in one week cannot be a fluke.


God Bless you my bro. We don do this topic before for here but this yeye Rangers and sootin people for here just dey through dem yansh. :P :P :P :P :P

I know say dem say na because Boateng na Ghanaman. I bet you if Leotis (Who I rate better than any CD that time apart from CCC) played for Rangers or Sootin, he for be regular for Green Eagus. :x :x :x


waffiman,
Kpom²

_________________
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:00 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:07 am
Posts: 43817
megapro wrote:
oloye wrote:
Megapro
Ofcourse it was destined to take a swerve based on what the contributor has in mind. My reference to Alabi Assien was to let you know who and who was involved in the selection process, but you mentioning Ikhana as the only Insurance player that made the medal list got me alarmed because Adiele was also an Inurance player.

You are the one who still feels that there were better players that should be accomodated in a team that won the CUP, because i cant see why we need to argue for other players if the main issue is merit and not something more like a secret agenda.

If we had not won the CUP meeen i would have been all ears, by the way i am from Edo state, from Ozalla, so i should be arguing for Insurance, you see my problem as a youth i was a Rangers shriner, despite my mum being of yoruba extraction.

I did not live in Enugu, i grew up in Ibadan Shooting should have been my team, but i hated them back then with a passion, but they play better football than Rangers, but we know how to whoop their a$$, with their fancy football. Rangers in the 70/80 were da bomb, i blame the creation of Imo state for the demise of my dear Rangers.

Why did i take you through this, so you can know my stand on this. Insurance may have won the FA cup, but it was not because they had the best players, they had a better team, player for player in those days, who was in Insurance, they were all second best to the players from Shooting, no insult intended.


Oloye,
well emphasising the FA cup win diminishes the fact that Insurance won the 1979 league and we may never agree on if insurance deserved to contribute more than 2 players.
Insurance remais my team. I am not arguing that eguavoen should have taken 7 or 13 of the present bunch to Egypt because they dont deserve 1 but only maintaing that the class of 79 deserved more.


Megapro
We love to argue, i agree with you to certain extent that will border on sentiment. But let us get real, put yourself in the position of Otto Gloria, he was brought in to manage a team that was already in place, a bunch of players assembled over 5-6 years, who in the year 1980 were at their peak. They knew each other inside out. Do you rock the stability of this team just because Insurance won the League in 1979, mind you Insurance as a team can never translate to the same ability to function as a unit in the national team.

Does Otto Gloria re-build a team that took 5 years to build , a team that already had the creme-de-la creme of Nigerian football , just to accomodate new players from Insurance, no right thinking coach does this. At most you pick one or two that are outstanding. The ability of Kadiri Ikhana to pick a jersey says a lot , in mind discussion with him when he was my coach at BCC, he told me the what swung it for him was his versatility. He could play right back, left back as well as in the middle. I believe he could also play in the center of the defence as well.

Adiele was lucky because of the problem Ekeji had with his academics. We are talking of days when stability was the order of the day, we are talking when you know who will play next year, because these guys were consistent.

Like i always say, some players come at the wrong time, Insurance players came to limelight when their services were not desperately needed, you see what makes a service worth anything is need. If i do not need your service, no matter how good or the amount of preparation you put into it, i still do not need and i will never appreciate it , as long as my decision is based on merit.

Like i said it really would still not matter if Insurance went to win in the moon, the national team was a strong team, with able players manning the positions. Like i said though Insurance won the League the year before, the fact remains player for player, Insurance players were still second best, to the guys manning the positions in the national team. My vindication, the team won the 1980 ANC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:50 am
Posts: 10173
Location: Nigeria
oloye wrote:
megapro wrote:
oloye wrote:
Megapro
Ofcourse it was destined to take a swerve based on what the contributor has in mind. My reference to Alabi Assien was to let you know who and who was involved in the selection process, but you mentioning Ikhana as the only Insurance player that made the medal list got me alarmed because Adiele was also an Inurance player.

You are the one who still feels that there were better players that should be accomodated in a team that won the CUP, because i cant see why we need to argue for other players if the main issue is merit and not something more like a secret agenda.

If we had not won the CUP meeen i would have been all ears, by the way i am from Edo state, from Ozalla, so i should be arguing for Insurance, you see my problem as a youth i was a Rangers shriner, despite my mum being of yoruba extraction.

I did not live in Enugu, i grew up in Ibadan Shooting should have been my team, but i hated them back then with a passion, but they play better football than Rangers, but we know how to whoop their a$$, with their fancy football. Rangers in the 70/80 were da bomb, i blame the creation of Imo state for the demise of my dear Rangers.

Why did i take you through this, so you can know my stand on this. Insurance may have won the FA cup, but it was not because they had the best players, they had a better team, player for player in those days, who was in Insurance, they were all second best to the players from Shooting, no insult intended.


Oloye,
well emphasising the FA cup win diminishes the fact that Insurance won the 1979 league and we may never agree on if insurance deserved to contribute more than 2 players.
Insurance remais my team. I am not arguing that eguavoen should have taken 7 or 13 of the present bunch to Egypt because they dont deserve 1 but only maintaing that the class of 79 deserved more.


Megapro
We love to argue, i agree with you to certain extent that will border on sentiment. But let us get real, put yourself in the position of Otto Gloria, he was brought in to manage a team that was already in place, a bunch of players assembled over 5-6 years, who in the year 1980 were at their peak. They knew each other inside out. Do you rock the stability of this team just because Insurance won the League in 1979, mind you Insurance as a team can never translate to the same ability to function as a unit in the national team.

Does Otto Gloria re-build a team that took 5 years to build , a team that already had the creme-de-la creme of Nigerian football , just to accomodate new players from Insurance, no right thinking coach does this. At most you pick one or two that are outstanding. The ability of Kadiri Ikhana to pick a jersey says a lot , in mind discussion with him when he was my coach at BCC, he told me the what swung it for him was his versatility. He could play right back, left back as well as in the middle. I believe he could also play in the center of the defence as well.

Adiele was lucky because of the problem Ekeji had with his academics. We are talking of days when stability was the order of the day, we are talking when you know who will play next year, because these guys were consistent.

Like i always say, some players come at the wrong time, Insurance players came to limelight when their services were not desperately needed, you see what makes a service worth anything is need. If i do not need your service, no matter how good or the amount of preparation you put into it, i still do not need and i will never appreciate it , as long as my decision is based on merit.

Like i said it really would still not matter if Insurance went to win in the moon, the national team was a strong team, with able players manning the positions. Like i said though Insurance won the League the year before, the fact remains player for player, Insurance players were still second best, to the guys manning the positions in the national team. My vindication, the team won the 1980 ANC.



oloye,
using a fact that the team had jelled 5 years long and would have been difficult to penetrate by newbies is plausible. but then we had starters like Godwin Iwelumo, John Nwadioha, Baba Oto Moh'd and Thompson usiyen who were not there so could expect he gaps to be filled and Ogu was never a newcomer.
Which strikers where selected to represent us apart from ifeanyi Onyedika? In the final match, Muda played attack and duly scored so could be justified but was he a better striker than the dropped guys?
Mind you no one is saying the cup would have been doubled if the Insurers players were included.

_________________
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:53 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:07 am
Posts: 43817
Insurance played a brand of football that left everyone shocked , if the word "shock and awe " was in use back then, it would have applied to Insurance, but it was because they functioned well as a team, but when you dismantle the Insurance team and try to analyse the players versus other players in Rangers and Shooting, there was no comparison.

Lets see
Goalkeeper
Okalla (Rangers, a legend in Africa, it took some superlative performance from best, to stop Nigerians from rioting when he was not seen in goal. Oh by the way, the reason why Okalla did not keep in that tournament, he was recovering from a knee injury)
Best Ogedengbe - (IICC) Arguably the best GK in the land after Okalla, had more experiece, national and International, was in the team that won 1976 winners cup, having taken over from Zion Ogunfeinmi and never looked back.

Martins Eyo (Rovers Of Calabar), I believe he was in camp because he was younger and had the potential, you could call him an understudy.He was one of the young players in camp back then, continuity being their merit. Others were Sylvanus Okpalla, Henry Nwosu, Franklin Howard, who were all promoted from the FE

Agwo Nnaji : Mmmm , Eyo was much more younger than Nnaji, going forward the competition will benefit him more than Agwo. Agwo was a Rangers reject, he was no where near Okalla or Best, his biggest claim to stardom was being in a good team.


There was no way Boateng could have made the team, you will see the reason after my analysis of the players that were in camp. Note apart from Boateng not being a Nigerian , the other factors I will highlight. Note the list of the defenders and their respective role and ability.

CCC(Rangers) – His experience both on the national and international level was priceless, he was the soul of the team, the players irrespective of their club, held him in high esteem. If you still remember the remark Odegbami made when CCC was retiring, he said it was CCC who made him shine in the national team, he said CCC could spot him anytime with the ball without even thinking about it. Let me not dwell on CCC, anyone who knew football then will know I need not flog CCC’s merit here.

Tunde Bamidele(IICC) – This guy was in a fantastic form, people were still asking where they discovered him. I don’t know who Insurance had in mind, but anyone who could consign Odiye to the bench, must be one hell of a player. Remember Odiye was flown in from America for the competition. Tunde and CCC continued the CD combo where Odiye and CCC stopped , no one could have come in not at this time.

Okey Isima (Rangers) : This guy could play in the midfield and the left back, another SE veteran.

Adiele (Insurance) : I was surprised to see him take over from Ekeji, but he proved his mettle, not spectacular , but was a tidy player, he did the simple things that were required of him. But he was soon dropped after the tournament when a more skilful Sylvernus Okpalla who could not displace Muda, was tested on the right back, and the guy brought so much skill to the right side of Eagles, the likes still never seen today.


Kadiri Ikhana (aka kawawa)(Insurance): His versatility won it for him, he could play rightback , left back, Central defence, and in the midfield.

Owolabi (IICC) : Prior to this competition(1980), he used to play in the left back, for the national team, but plays in the attack for his club. Because Okey Isima was outstanding or because his power and pace was needed upfront, he was moved to patner Adokiye on the left side. He could play left back and midfield, as well as attack.

Odiye (US) : Central Defence and Midfield. In fact he played as a midfielder in this tournament, there was no way the functioning partnership between Tunde Bamidele and CCC was going to be disturbed for the great Odiye. Now if you know Odiye it the 70’s you will understand Tunde’s achievement to keep him on the bench.

Johny Orlando (Shooting) : One of the most intelligent CD playing in our league back then.

Going through this list, we have 5 CDs (CCC, Tunde, Odiye, Kadiri,Johny), where would you put Boateng if he was not going to get an automatic shirt. This is what goes into team selection , these are the extra factors that gives a player an edge over another. This why sometimes an average player may seem to be selected over a supposed better player. A player who may be average , but is versatile , will always get a look over a one way player. The only reason Phil Neville gets a look in England set up is not because of his brother Gary, Phil is a versatile player, the likes every coach dream to have in their team. In a versatile player, you have more than a player. Boateng apart from not being a Nigerian was not better than CCC or Tunde Bamidele, and he could only play in the CD, we already have 5 players there, there was nothing any coach could do, other than to say boy wait for next time.

Lets us talk about the midfield, we have :
Muda Lawal (IICC) : No need to say anything , he was the midfield maestro, rest in peace Hajji Shira, your place in Niaja history can never be threatened.

Alloysius Atuegbu( Rangers) :I maintain this , some players come at the wrong time, the Blockbuster, remains one of the best players to play for Eagles, but when you are the quiet type no one notices you. His work rate was phenomenon, if he was playing today, he would always be called aside for drug test. This guy is a 110% percent worker , he has skill, built like a bull, he plays like one, but this is one bull with some great skills. No contest.

Owolabi Felix( IICC): Do I need to say anything, everytime I walk past the national stadium , I can swear I can still hear the noise Owoooo bloooooooooow reverberating around Surulere. I need not say any more.

Sylvanus Okpall (Rangers) Promoted from the FE, ( I shake my head in nostalgia), he was brought in as an understudy to Muda, but Muda was from another planet, eventually was moved to the right side, where his skills was unleashed for all to see. Another player brought into the tournament for the future rather than the present.

Henry Nwosu (National Bank( I think)): IHMO, he was the best player naija ever produced, not to make the kind of impact JJ made. He was a 19 year old boy when this tournament took place, he did some magical things in the friendlies that were played in run up to the competition, I can still remember the flick that saw him walk in between two players, of a visiting foreign team. He was a sure bet to start, he did pick a jersey, but the occasion was too much for the young blood.

Attackers were the following:

Adokiye (Rangers has he joined Rangers then?) : There was no one , and I repeat , no one in the league who could clean Adokiye’s boot in those days. The only person who came close , was a student back then Prince Afejukwu, who was Adokiye’s understudy back then. Prince was a 17 year old wonder boy, but Prince travelled to USA around this time( am I right). Prince played for Insurance and probably would have been in the team, because he was already a member, he was in the team that won silver in the All Africa games in 1978.

Segun Odegbami (IICC): What can I say, what can I say, what can I say about this legend of a player. All I can say , is thank you Big Sege, you won us the 80 ANC. This guy did some terrible things , still under investigation by human rights to the poor Mustapha Kouchi , the Algerian guy detailed to mark, him. If I say anything, it could be used against the mathematical one.

Ifeanyi Onyedika (Rangers) : Another young one, 20 years old and a student , he was in a terrific form run up to the nations cup, no one has been able to help us locate the missing number 9, in the person of Thompson Usiyen, the number 9 shirt was declared vacant, it was welcome to anyone who fancied himself. Ifeanyi , looked the part, he played the part in the league, played the part during the friendlies. He was a late call up, because , that position became a problem. Every position was filled except this one. Why not Ogboe, Ogboe was short, one legged player. Ifeanyi was a tall, big striker, good with the head, let me just say he was built in the mold of Yekini, packed bullets in both feet. If Ogboe did not make it, it must be because he was not good enough, becaue if he was , this shirt was there for picking. Ifeanyi was not even in the list that toured Brazil, the team came back from staying in Brazil and they were still looking for a number 9 player. It was Ifeanyi’s exploit in the league that got hima call up, and he scored in all the friendlies that was played before the competition. But he too fizzled out, I believe we ended trying two more players in that position during the tournament before Muda was eventually drafted in to play that position in the final;. He did and scored the 3rd goal.

We can go on and on about this debate, but every player that was in that team had the merit to be there, and those not there were excluded not because they were not from a particular club or tribe. No a team can only accommodate so much , based on the plans and tactics of the coach in charge.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:07 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:07 am
Posts: 43817
megapro wrote:
oloye wrote:
megapro wrote:
oloye wrote:
Megapro
Ofcourse it was destined to take a swerve based on what the contributor has in mind. My reference to Alabi Assien was to let you know who and who was involved in the selection process, but you mentioning Ikhana as the only Insurance player that made the medal list got me alarmed because Adiele was also an Inurance player.

You are the one who still feels that there were better players that should be accomodated in a team that won the CUP, because i cant see why we need to argue for other players if the main issue is merit and not something more like a secret agenda.

If we had not won the CUP meeen i would have been all ears, by the way i am from Edo state, from Ozalla, so i should be arguing for Insurance, you see my problem as a youth i was a Rangers shriner, despite my mum being of yoruba extraction.

I did not live in Enugu, i grew up in Ibadan Shooting should have been my team, but i hated them back then with a passion, but they play better football than Rangers, but we know how to whoop their a$$, with their fancy football. Rangers in the 70/80 were da bomb, i blame the creation of Imo state for the demise of my dear Rangers.

Why did i take you through this, so you can know my stand on this. Insurance may have won the FA cup, but it was not because they had the best players, they had a better team, player for player in those days, who was in Insurance, they were all second best to the players from Shooting, no insult intended.


Oloye,
well emphasising the FA cup win diminishes the fact that Insurance won the 1979 league and we may never agree on if insurance deserved to contribute more than 2 players.
Insurance remais my team. I am not arguing that eguavoen should have taken 7 or 13 of the present bunch to Egypt because they dont deserve 1 but only maintaing that the class of 79 deserved more.


Megapro
We love to argue, i agree with you to certain extent that will border on sentiment. But let us get real, put yourself in the position of Otto Gloria, he was brought in to manage a team that was already in place, a bunch of players assembled over 5-6 years, who in the year 1980 were at their peak. They knew each other inside out. Do you rock the stability of this team just because Insurance won the League in 1979, mind you Insurance as a team can never translate to the same ability to function as a unit in the national team.

Does Otto Gloria re-build a team that took 5 years to build , a team that already had the creme-de-la creme of Nigerian football , just to accomodate new players from Insurance, no right thinking coach does this. At most you pick one or two that are outstanding. The ability of Kadiri Ikhana to pick a jersey says a lot , in mind discussion with him when he was my coach at BCC, he told me the what swung it for him was his versatility. He could play right back, left back as well as in the middle. I believe he could also play in the center of the defence as well.

Adiele was lucky because of the problem Ekeji had with his academics. We are talking of days when stability was the order of the day, we are talking when you know who will play next year, because these guys were consistent.

Like i always say, some players come at the wrong time, Insurance players came to limelight when their services were not desperately needed, you see what makes a service worth anything is need. If i do not need your service, no matter how good or the amount of preparation you put into it, i still do not need and i will never appreciate it , as long as my decision is based on merit.

Like i said it really would still not matter if Insurance went to win in the moon, the national team was a strong team, with able players manning the positions. Like i said though Insurance won the League the year before, the fact remains player for player, Insurance players were still second best, to the guys manning the positions in the national team. My vindication, the team won the 1980 ANC.



oloye,
using a fact that the team had jelled 5 years long and would have been difficult to penetrate by newbies is plausible. but then we had starters like Godwin Iwelumo, John Nwadioha, Baba Oto Moh'd and Thompson usiyen who were not there so could expect he gaps to be filled and Ogu was never a newcomer.
Which strikers where selected to represent us apart from ifeanyi Onyedika? In the final match, Muda played attack and duly scored so could be justified but was he a better striker than the dropped guys?
Mind you no one is saying the cup would have been doubled if the Insurers players were included.

Megapro
The funny thing about Chris Ogu i like him, i see in him an alternative to Segun, that was it, Ogu had been in the camp before, correct me if i am wrong, i believe he was also in the team that won silver in the All African games. The case of Ogu could be liken to Chritian Madu and Muda, you can invite Madu to camp for all you like,as long as Muda is fit , he would never get a look in, so you could just say, inviting Madu to camp amounts to waste of space. These are the things that coaches consider, not just because a player can play.

Ogu in camp with a fit Odegbami , remains a waste of space, Odegbami was awesome. Like i said in one of my postings drop Odegbami , the whole country will go up in smoke. Otto Gloria will serve jail sentence in Nigeria for treason before being deported.

So instead of wasting a space on Ogu, some other areas come to mind. By the way how many matches did the likes Odegbami, Muda, CCC miss due to injury, mmmmmm in about 5-6-7 years these guys played for the national team, they always seem to be in the team, unless they are being rested.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:32 pm
Posts: 519
Oloye,

I beg give us the scoop onthat young sooting goalie( around 85-87) .Wasiu Adebayo. I think he was supposed to be in Ibadan Grammer then


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:11 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:07 am
Posts: 43817
Kaizer wrote:
Oloye,

I beg give us the scoop onthat young sooting goalie( around 85-87) .Wasiu Adebayo. I think he was supposed to be in Ibadan Grammer then


Kaizer
Are u sure u are not up to some mischief. Wasiu (wese) Adebayo was actually a student, this i know, he then attended Unife, we travelled together for the FISU games in Zagreb(87). Ofcourse Ibadan Gramms had some good players and remeber they had HSC back in those days. I believe players like Folorunsho Okenla also attended Ibadan Gramms at one time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:50 am
Posts: 10173
Location: Nigeria
oloye,
You wrote a long piece. Thank for the pains.
but then I saw only 3 attackers and no reserve since we always played 4-3-3 with odegbami at the rght and adokiye at the left. I wanted to see reserve names probably because of ogboe and right winger ogu. wee I then saw why muda played 9.
regarding the goalkeeper, I would want to believe that you confused The issue entirely by analysing martins eyo who played further updown.
Moses effiong of NNB was the third goalkeeper and we knew he was not better than agwo. If we claim he was young which is debatable, I would reckon that with a veteran recorvering, we needed our best options. westerhof picked the best Rufai, Wilfred and Agwo over his favorite; a young Ike.
Ikhana made the the team for other purposes as central defence cos he could effectively play the midfield and full back positions.

While at it, you could have added Charles bassey who was attached as a midfielder.

_________________
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:50 am
Posts: 10173
Location: Nigeria
Quote:
Megapro
The funny thing about Chris Ogu i like him, i see in him an alternative to Segun, that was it, Ogu had been in the camp before, correct me if i am wrong, i believe he was also in the team that won silver in the All African games. The case of Ogu could be liken to Chritian Madu and Muda, you can invite Madu to camp for all you like,as long as Muda is fit , he would never get a look in, so you could just say, inviting Madu to camp amounts to waste of space. These are the things that coaches consider, not just because a player can play.

Ogu in camp with a fit Odegbami , remains a waste of space, Odegbami was awesome. Like i said in one of my postings drop Odegbami , the whole country will go up in smoke. Otto Gloria will serve jail sentence in Nigeria for treason before being deported.

So instead of wasting a space on Ogu, some other areas come to mind. By the way how many matches did the likes Odegbami, Muda, CCC miss due to injury, mmmmmm in about 5-6-7 years these guys played for the national team, they always seem to be in the team, unless they are being rested.


Oloye,
regarding chris ogu, did you watch ACN 1978? Tiko started him in all four important matches in the tournament. he could play with odegbami at the same time.

_________________
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:20 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:07 am
Posts: 43817
megapro wrote:
oloye,
You wrote a long piece. Thank for the pains.
but then I saw only 3 attackers and no reserve since we always played 4-3-3 with odegbami at the rght and adokiye at the left. I wanted to see reserve names probably because of ogboe and right winger ogu. wee I then saw why muda played 9.
regarding the goalkeeper, I would want to believe that you confused The issue entirely by analysing martins eyo who played further updown.
Moses effiong of NNB was the third goalkeeper and we knew he was not better than agwo. If we claim he was young which is debatable, I would reckon that with a veteran recorvering, we needed our best options. westerhof picked the best Rufai, Wilfred and Agwo over his favorite; a young Ike.
Ikhana made the the team for other purposes as central defence cos he could effectively play the midfield and full back positions.

While at it, you could have added Charles bassey who was attached as a midfielder.


Yep i knew i got the keepers name wrong i was not sure, that was why i took the pain to describe his attribute which you got.
I did not bother with the rest of the attackers, simply if Ogboe could hack it, he would have been in the list, especially for a team that was crying out for a number 9. Charles Bassey i will not pretend i know why he was in camp, but if a player from div2 could make it to the camp, there must be something speciall about that player.
If i mention Shefiu, , it will be in the same vein, he was one of the best, he was not a typical number nine attacker, more an attacking midfielder, like i said before , very very very skillful.
I stopped at Onyeadika simply because he was the best of the lot going into the competion. If Gloria felt Ogboe could not hack , i wont flog it. But anything that points to some form of dicrimination remains defeated in the light of the inclusion of players like Khadiri Ikhana and David Adiele.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2003 4:32 pm
Posts: 519
No actually ,i was trying try to remember the different era of Shooting stars and some of some reason i cant remember the Friday Catos,Mumini Kelanis, Wasiu Adebayos and co. I guess the disappointment of watching my darling team losing to Rovers in Ibadan (i still remember that free kick that led to the goal in 86)and the eventual relegation made me block out that era .
That was trauma.

I remember Adejare Kabiruas another long -time servant of the club.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:25 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:07 am
Posts: 43817
megapro wrote:
Quote:
Megapro
The funny thing about Chris Ogu i like him, i see in him an alternative to Segun, that was it, Ogu had been in the camp before, correct me if i am wrong, i believe he was also in the team that won silver in the All African games. The case of Ogu could be liken to Chritian Madu and Muda, you can invite Madu to camp for all you like,as long as Muda is fit , he would never get a look in, so you could just say, inviting Madu to camp amounts to waste of space. These are the things that coaches consider, not just because a player can play.

Ogu in camp with a fit Odegbami , remains a waste of space, Odegbami was awesome. Like i said in one of my postings drop Odegbami , the whole country will go up in smoke. Otto Gloria will serve jail sentence in Nigeria for treason before being deported.

So instead of wasting a space on Ogu, some other areas come to mind. By the way how many matches did the likes Odegbami, Muda, CCC miss due to injury, mmmmmm in about 5-6-7 years these guys played for the national team, they always seem to be in the team, unless they are being rested.


Oloye,
regarding chris ogu, did you watch ACN 1978? Tiko started him in all four important matches in the tournament. he could play with odegbami at the same time.


So why was he dropped in 1980, could it have anything to do with form. I knew i have seen Ogu played for Eagles, but hey i cant recollect vividly, but i have seen him play, and if he was in the team in 1978 and not in the team 1980, why, to reduce it to discrimination is being too simplistic for my likening.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:34 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:35 pm
Posts: 51024
I gotta say, long time I enjoyed a thread like this. This is cracking stuff, it reminds me of some classic debates we have had on this forum when we had a top league and top ballers.

BTW! Oloye, I consider it a travesty that it took Ekeji to fall out with the Coaching staff before Adiele got his chance. Adiele was a far better player.

Sootin and Rangers dorminated, consequently, their players were more fashionable for the GE. The fact is, the same thing happens in every league, just look at England for example. If you play for the top team, you get a call to the national side. But if you play for the less fashionable sides up North, you will not play for England. For Germany, na Bayern Munich, for Italy na the same.

So Oloye, as much as you make some good points against, Megapro and those who see things differently also have a point. Y you really cannot deny the fact that playing for Ranger or Sootin gave you an advantage for the GE shirt.

_________________
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:33 pm
Posts: 9821
Apart from Bendel Insurance, there was another team that outplayed the big two of IICC and Rangers then, that was Raccah Rovers of Kano. Their 3-3 National league draw with Bendel Insurance in Lagos in 1979, was one of the best ever club matches ever played in Nigeria. They were about the only team that could live with Insurance at that time. Joao Havelange, FIFA president watched the 3-3 draw match and said it was one of the best matches he has ever seen. How many of their players made the Green Eagles ANC 1980 squad? Only Shefiu Mohammed. Was that a conspiracy against the North? remember that were 2 more experienced RBs of Northern extraction, Annas Ahmed and Sanni Mohammed, who did not make the GE squad but Adiele did.

_________________
I am happy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:20 am
Posts: 30183
Dammy wrote:
Apart from Bendel Insurance, there was another team that outplayed the big two of IICC and Rangers then, that was Raccah Rovers of Kano. Their 3-3 National league draw with Bendel Insurance in Lagos in 1979, was one of the best ever club matches ever played in Nigeria. They were about the only team that could live with Insurance at that time. Joao Havelange, FIFA president watched the 3-3 draw match and said it was one of the best matches he has ever seen. How many of their players made the Green Eagles ANC 1980 squad? Only Shefiu Mohammed. Was that a conspiracy against the North? remember that were 2 more experienced RBs of Northern extraction, Annas Ahmed and Sanni Mohammed, who did not make the GE squad but Adiele did.

DAMMY:
Raccah Rovers was a one-trick pony...
But it had Annas and Baba #$% Mohammed in the Eagles squad for donkey years.

<


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DIMKA76, Google [Bot], vancity eagle and 35 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group