MODERATION AND THE POLITICS OF LANGUAGE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
MODERATION AND THE POLITICS OF LANGUAGE

Post by Gotti »

Disclaimer: Despite the topic heading, this is NOT about Obinna (nor anyone in particular), but about the general subject of forum moderation.

While not disagreeing in principle with the locking of the 'Waffleman Goes to School' thread yesterday, I am nonetheless non-plussed by some of the purported justifications advanced thereto (and not necessarily by Obinna).

There seem to be a bizzare rationalization that in principle holds it perfectly alright to launch personal attacks so long as such attacks are couched in language that is civil (an oxymoron, if ever there was one) or "finnese"[sic](as one of the combatants so inelegantly phrased it).

Conversely, it would appear on the surface that tolerance is breached only when the attacks (or response and retort to preceding personal attacks) are phrased in purportedly uncivil or "crude" lingo. Please pardon me, while I hurl at the blatant HYPOCRISY!

My people, it does not make any substantive difference if someone cuts you with a finely-crafted stainless-steel sword or with a rusty old cutlass. And personally, I would rather know exactly what someone has in mind, than have them similingly serve me with Mama Calabar soup laced with arsenic.

But of course, scratching below the surface, it is often times quite plain to decipher that certain forummers contrive to whine about personal attacks, invective and inelegant language only when employed by those whom they disagree with on substantive or philosophical matters herein.

Accordingly, it is all well and dandy by some that the likes of Ayoakinfe can launch an unprovoked personal attack on the likes of Ezesportsworld, laced with all manner of derogatory personal invective, and then miraculously (more like hypocritically) discover indignation when the tables are turned.

It had been my understanding that the forum rules deemed agreed-upon by all forummers upon participation herein debars ALL personal attacks. Accordingly, there should either be a NO-TOLERANCE policy or NO POLICY at all! But let me reiterate yet again that while anyone is free to choose to personally attack me, I also remain free to CHOOSE the manner, tone and language of my response!

I'm out!
Last edited by Gotti on Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
SUYA

Post by SUYA »

Gotti please calm down. We need u as a rock for this site.....but the double standard is absurd. I beg you both as a Rat, a Yellow Fever and a member of the retreating tribe of rapists........ but please lets move on !
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Gotti,

In my opinion Obinna is the worst moderator, ever, on Cyber Eagles.

This is a guy who wrote and dared me, "I deleted your post, what are you going to do about it".

Such attitude and temprement is not ideal in someone with moderating priviledges.
Last edited by JACKAL on Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Solowe wrote:Gotti,

This is a guy wrote and dared me, "I deleted your post, what are you going to do about it".

Such attitude and temprement is not ideal in someone with moderating priviledges.
So whar did you do about it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oya back to the matter
open and close
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Prince wrote:

This is a guy wrote and dared me, "I deleted your post, what are you going to do about it".

wetin i go do, i wan slap am, but my hand no reach :lol:
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Solowe wrote:
Prince wrote:

wetin i go do, i wan slap am, but my hand no reach :lol:
next time slap his avatar :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Schillachi
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Schillachi »

Who the hell is Obinna and who made him a moderator? Since when did they start making non-posters moderators? What criteria dem dey take choose moderators sef? We need to address this nonsese once and for all.
NIGERIAN BADBOY!
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Gotti:
Obinna is a big fan of yours! Just in case you didn't know! 8)

And, if I may add, he is a good kid!
legend
Egg
Egg

Post by legend »

Accordingly, it is all well and dandy by some that the likes of Ayoakinfe can launch an unprovoked personal attack on the likes of Ezesportsworld, laced with all manner of derogatory personal invective, and then miraculously (more like hypocritically) discover indignation when the tables are turned.
´

This is what gets at me. freaking double standards :twisted:
Apart from my usual Amodu rantings all in all. He has done very well and the laurels and records speak for itself - MI5

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=157957
mke1010
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mke1010 »

Gotti- I concur. There is definitely a double standard that has been ingrained in this site with the absence of defined policy.
This issue of double standard pertains not only to question of language but unfortunately, reputation. Certain individuals are given latitude while others are quickly surpressed if they do not have a certain level of acceptance by some on the forum. Most of the moderators are even handed and fair. However, even those have difficulty enforcing any even handed standard.
Suya, whom I have a great deal of respect for, deleted my post questioning Ayoakinfe on an issue of libel. I did not use any language out of civilty yet Suya felt such a topic was inappropriate the day before the Tunisia match. Obviously Suya does not maintain this same standdard on a daily basis meaning that any moderator that wakes up in a bad mood has the right to do whatever. I for one believe that this is a diverse forum and members will disagree frequently. I beleive those members have the right to face off against each other without censorship. There are many threads on this site and those who do not want to be part of it can choose to ignore. Just as they advocate using PM they can equally ignore posts that they don't fancy.
Last edited by mke1010 on Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chief Gabtigab
Egg
Egg

Post by Chief Gabtigab »

I would have agreed with Gotti on this thread but I can't for these reasons.
1. He is as guilty as the next man in this regards and being a moderator himself I was appalled by his actions especially yesterday.
2. Ditto Waffiman to some extent.
3. Obinna did the right thing .........and SUYA agreed.
4. I tend to have a comprehension deficit here (an epidemic on this forum) since I was not able to understand whether Gotti was condemning Obinna's actions in locking the thred.

All I'm saying is that this should have been ironed out on the moderator's forum and not here.
PT Teacher Oni aka Backstabber. The NFA aka Thieves. Betty "Sisi" Vogts aka Fraudster.
CRIME: Destroying Nigerian Football. VERDICT: GUILTY AS CHARGED. SENTENCE: Na God Go Punish Them.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I was rather enjoying that thread, especially the part of being called a
'suspect racist'....
This forum cannot be truly vibrant without a Gotti-Waffiman fight! So,

Gentlemen, start your engines!
K
Egg
Egg

Post by K »

Stick to ONE moderator and everything will be fine. :!:

By one I mean one for here, 1 for r&r etc.

too many moderators will spoil the broth
Alaafin
Egg
Egg

Post by Alaafin »

K wrote:Stick to ONE moderator and everything will be fine. :!:

By one I mean one for here, 1 for r&r etc.

too many moderators will spoil the broth
Or probably one moderator per shift -- since one can't expect one moderator to moderate for 24 hrs.
Iku Baba Yeye; Alase Ikeji Orisa

He who has power over life and death; Second-in-Command to the gods
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

We are breaking the rules again this is not soccer related :mrgreen:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

And yes, graphic lanuguage is worse!

You do not disclose what 'friends or even acquaintances' tell you in private. That aint right, man!
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

one suggestion I would have is that an alternative to permanently locking a thread would be to impose a temporary lock for a cooling-off period if a thread gets too hot.

I have noticed more & more that the rules are not being applied consistently & that action is increasinly selective. this only gives rise to unhealthy speculation.

I credit Obinna though & some other moderators for being generously communicative about their actions unlike the so-called "phantom moderator". Thats just my experience.

final point. I see Gottis point but its just human nature that crude attacks will destroy any rational debate. Fortunately we do see a decent amount of healthy intervention by regular posters when attacks degenerate in crude fashion. I think moderators should also try to use the "soft" power of persuasion more often rather that relying solely on "hard" authority like locking or deleting threads.
Cristao
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao »

i dont know much about this becos i only come here to post instead of being involved in politics ... however Obinna in my books did well yesterday

it is true everyone has freedom of speech but lets not forget freedom without responsibility leads to near-anarchy
Talk IT
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Talk IT »

:D :D To test if there is double standard on this site, lets see if this thread is moved because its not football related. IMO though not football related but its forum related hence should remain. But some of us have had our forum related thread moved by some phantom moderators who refuse to give their names. :mrgreen:

Let nobody pick on Obinna because most moderators are just as guilty of the same thing. If you that say your're a moderator and can insult a forumers parent for no just reason what example are you setting? Before people become moderators they have to think carefully and be honest to themselves; can they accept extreme views without lashing out? Can they remain calm in a boiling temparature? Can they keep their tungue from spitting foul language at any opportunity?

There forumers, don't depend on the moderators to moderate. They're like the nigerian police that would come in the morning when the robbery took place at midnight. You have to take the law into your own hands and watch your own back, at least i've learnt that. :mrgreen:
If there were no God, I would not be alive.
And if God is not good, I would have been dead.
realtrouble

Post by realtrouble »

Obinna, is in yankee sleeping and dreaming of Beyounce Knowles :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Chief Gabtigab wrote:I would have agreed with Gotti on this thread but I can't for these reasons.
1. He is as guilty as the next man in this regards and being a moderator himself I was appalled by his actions especially yesterday.
2. Ditto Waffiman to some extent.
3. Obinna did the right thing .........and SUYA agreed.
4. I tend to have a comprehension deficit here (an epidemic on this forum) since I was not able to understand whether Gotti was condemning Obinna's actions in locking the thred.

All I'm saying is that this should have been ironed out on the moderator's forum and not here.
GABTIGAB:
I do not wish to resolve anything on the secretive so-called Moderators' Forum. As I have said umpteenth times, it is a partenalistic and patronizing manner to treat issues that arise on the main forum among ADULTS!

As for the first part of your post, for the zillionth time: while anyone is free to choose to personally attack me, I also remain free to CHOOSE the manner, tone and language of my response! As Fela said: "trouble sleep, yanga go wake 'am"! The notion that folks will personally attack one and then require one to reply in civil language is heretic tosh!

If folks disagree with my position on any substantive matter, there are free to advance their own contrarian position, but whenever folks launch personal attacks, I promise that they will get it right between the eyes -- and continue to get it until I am eventually expelled from the forum!
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

GT:
With all due respect, stop moving this thread. The issues raised herein arose on the Main Forum and should be discussed in the same forum. I will not be attacked in public and then have it papered over in some back-alley.

If this is not soccer-related, then the scores of threads here suffused with personal attacks (against other forummers, players, coaches, administrators, sundry politicians, etc) are equally NOT soccer-related.

Launching a personal attack on Taiwo Ogunjobi is NOT soccer-related simply because he is the NFA Secretary-General. If it is, then my status as a rabid football fan makes this thread similarly soccer-related.
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

YUJAM wrote:And yes, graphic lanuguage is worse!

You do not disclose what 'friends or even acquaintances' tell you in private. That aint right, man!
Now, this is the sort of SLANDEROUS insinuation that one has to put up with -- and still be required to be civil!