What is the record?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet
What is the record?

Post by bamenda boy »

For the longest time that a team has been number one in Africa. Anybody knows?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Do you mean how long a Country has successfully defended it's status as African Champions?
PaJimoh

Post by PaJimoh »

You can only obtain that from FIFA rankings. We are not too serious with record keeping in Africa, except Vynl of juju music
RudeBoy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by RudeBoy »

and how many wives we have!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Among a people generally corrupt liberty cannot long exist - Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

I think i did not ask my question well. For example, Cameroon has had the number one ranking for about four years now. I wanted to know if any other other African teams had been on that ranking for a time longer than that.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
daddyrich
Egg
Egg

Post by daddyrich »

bamendaboy wrote:I think i did not ask my question well. For example, Cameroon has had the number one ranking for about four years now. I wanted to know if any other other African teams had been on that ranking for a time longer than that.

Do you mean finishing the year at number 1, or holding the position continuously?
I don't believe Cameroun had held that position every month for 4 yrs straight, they may have finished number 1 every yr in that time though.

P.S. South Africa was Africa's Number 1 team in Jan 2001 followed by Tunisia, Morocco, Egypt, and then Cameroun in 5th place
Last edited by daddyrich on Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baxter Onigbinde's second coming is the most disingenious stint ever in Nigerian coaching history.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

I mean holding that record all the way to the end of the year.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

On CE ranking, the top spot has continuousely revolved around Nigeria, Senegal and Cameroun though Cameroun has held the spot most often :).
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
daddyrich
Egg
Egg

Post by daddyrich »

The following countries closed out the year as the number 1 African team on the continent since the inception of the FIFA rankings:
93 - Nigeria
94 - Nigeria
95 - CIV
96 - South Africa
97 - Morocco
98 - Morocco
99 - Morocco
00 - South Africa
01 - Tunisia
02 - Cameroun
03 - Cameroun

I guess Morocco holds the record, finishing as Africa's best team 3 years in a row. Cameroun, Nigeria and SA have two number 1 years although SA's was not consecutive
Baxter Onigbinde's second coming is the most disingenious stint ever in Nigerian coaching history.
scholl
Egg
Egg

Post by scholl »

My man think say hin go hear Cameroon without any research. Abeg that kin question self na only Cameroonian fit dey ask am.
daddyrich
Egg
Egg

Post by daddyrich »

scholl wrote:My man think say hin go hear Cameroon without any research.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Well, thax for the info, daddyrich. You guys can enjoy that. The good thing is that we have the same record with Nigeria. So don't get above your self pal.
daddyrich
Egg
Egg

Post by daddyrich »

Hey leave me outta this one, it's Scholl that threw the jibes at you not me!!

All I did was answer your question ...and then laugh at Scholl's joke! :mrgreen: